Author Topic: My Guys! Haas Almagro Gasquet Fognini Robredo Wawrinka Malisse Sock  (Read 44656 times)

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
Re: My Guys! Haas Gasquet Gonzalez Dent Malisse Robredo Almagro
« Reply #620 on: December 09, 2011, 04:06:43 AM »
good to see some action here again!

I almost cry when I saw there was a new reply

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #621 on: December 09, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
:laugh-bounce:

Safin Elected To Russian Federal Parliament

ormer World Number One tennis player and star of the ATP Champions Tour, Marat Safin, has been voted into the Russian Federal Parliament, the Duma.

Two-time Grand Slam winner Safin, a member of Vladimir Putin’s United Russia party, has been elected into the Duma’s lower house as a representative for the Nyzhny Novgorod region, approximately 500k from Moscow.

Ahead of the election results, Safin explained to the ATP Champions Tour how he reached the decision to pursue his political ambitions.

“My life has been changing for the last two years,” he said. “All of a sudden I found myself in a situation where I had to make really serious decisions. It started with one small thing and it grew up to something big. I could go and make commercials left and right and pretend like I am a celebrity, but that is not me. I never did this, I never liked it. I had a few months of thinking ‘should I do this or should I not’ but now I am pretty sure of what I’m doing and I want to do it.”

The 31 year-old also explained his new political career shares some similarities with his former life as a professional tennis player.

“I’m in completely new shoes,” he said. "This is a completely new life, a new way of thinking, new way of doing things that’s nothing to do with tennis or sports at all. But the two things definitely have one thing in common and that is that you need to have a character. You have to be strong and you have to know where you’re going, what you want to do, and you have to be able to make sacrifices.”

“I will be working for the next five years day after day, sitting in an office, wearing a suit. I will have good days, bad days and I will have to fight once again like I’ve been fighting on the court. It will be complicated.”

One of the most prominent supporters of Safin’s political career has been the man who he beat to win his first Grand Slam at the US Open in 2000, Pete Sampras.

“In 20 years Marat will be the President of Russia!” joked Sampras, before adding seriously:

“Trust me, Marat is going to go a long way. He is very intelligent and articulate and he’s good with people, and that’s half the battle with being a politician.”

Safin is not the first Russian sports star to launch a second career in politics. The 2005 Australian Open Champion is joining an exclusive club which includes the likes of gymnast Svetlana Khorkina, figure skater Anton Sikharulidze and heavyweight boxer Nikolay Valuev, all of whom have run for office.

http://www.atpchampionstour.com/news204.html

Nikita Khrushchev shoe banging incident
Who could have predicted this?!?!! ..-)
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #622 on: December 09, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
Who could have predicted this?!?!! ..-)
[/quote]

I grant you this much, we all knew he was going to do something crazy  :rofl_2:  I think this is his second "mountain climb." He'll start, and before he gets half-way up, he'll quit.  :rofl_2:
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #624 on: December 15, 2011, 05:35:05 AM »
Nice! :)
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #625 on: March 08, 2012, 06:08:11 PM »
I was at this match!

rafter_agassi_4.mpg

More vintage Rafter

Rafter Serve & Volley Deuce Count Collection1.flv

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
Great stuff B!

Do you remember Rafter as being an exceptional volleyer?
As I'm watching these clips and trying to remember his game, I think his serve and movement were both stronger than his actual volleys.  That facet of his game was solid but not exemplary.  Just blown away by the quality of his serving in that game against AA! :swoon:
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:34 AM »
I noticed that yesterday for the first time. 15 years ago, mine eye wasn't that sophisticated. Though effective, the technique is far short of Pete's standard. As I noted on the previous page when discussing my Sensational Six...

#2 Pat Rafter  :king:
Style and Athleticism

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:33:24 AM by Babblelot »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #628 on: March 09, 2012, 08:38:39 AM »
Dude had class, composure, a wicked serve, excellent movement and a 'lunch pail' attitude.  Admirable traits indeed. :king:

You may want to amend your #3 comment.
Consider Safin's complete and utter annihilation of Sampras in the 2000 U.S. Open final.  Made a GOAT contender look like a journeyman. :scared:   I shudder to think what he could have accomplished if had been able to harness his talent.  Perhaps mustangs are better left to run on their own....

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:49:02 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #629 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
Gaudio To Return As Moya Targets Seven In A Row

The 2004 French Open champion Gaston Gaudio will make his debut on the ATP Champions Tour in Medellin, Colombia next month as Carlos Moya goes for his seventh successive title.

Gaudio is best remembered for defeating fellow Argentine Guillermo Coria in the Roland Garros final to become the first Argentine to win a Grand Slam title since Guillermo Vilas in 1979. Though it was to be the only Major title in Gaudio’s 15 year career, the 33-year-old went on to reach a career-high ranking of No.5 and be a prolific Davis Cup competitor for Argentina.

At his maiden event in Medellin, Gaudio will have to contend with the ATP Champions Tour’s man of the moment, Moya, who has won six consecutive titles since making his own Tour debut in Colombia’s capital, Bogota, last year. The Spaniard has already won titles in 2012 in Delray Beach and in Zurich, and is leading the South African Airways Rankings by 400 points from Stockholm Champion John McEnroe. Though Moya will be keen to extend his majestic run of form in Medellin, the Spaniard is also excited by the arrival of exciting younger players like Gaudio to the ATP Champions Tour.

“I think it’s good for the Tour to have this competition,” he said. “It is a challenge for everyone else to beat me. I am happy that I still play well and I am in good shape but I am not unbeatable. I have lost twice on the Tour in the past year and there are definitely guys out there like (Mark) Philippoussis, (Marat) Safin, (Thomas) Enqvist that play at the same level, especially on a faster court.”

Moya and Gaudio will be joined in Medellin from May 3-6 by Chilean hero Marcelo Rios, ‘The Little Magician’ Fabrice Santoro and Medellin native Michael Quintero, with one name yet to be announced.

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group will meet in Tuesday's final.

After Medellin, the ATP Champions Tour travels to The Grand Champions Brazil in Sao Paulo, (May 10-13).
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #630 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:22 PM »
Gaudio To Return As Moya Targets Seven In A Row

The 2004 French Open champion Gaston Gaudio will make his debut on the ATP Champions Tour in Medellin, Colombia next month as Carlos Moya goes for his seventh successive title.

Gaudio is best remembered for defeating fellow Argentine Guillermo Coria in the Roland Garros final to become the first Argentine to win a Grand Slam title since Guillermo Vilas in 1979. Though it was to be the only Major title in Gaudio’s 15 year career, the 33-year-old went on to reach a career-high ranking of No.5 and be a prolific Davis Cup competitor for Argentina.

At his maiden event in Medellin, Gaudio will have to contend with the ATP Champions Tour’s man of the moment, Moya, who has won six consecutive titles since making his own Tour debut in Colombia’s capital, Bogota, last year. The Spaniard has already won titles in 2012 in Delray Beach and in Zurich, and is leading the South African Airways Rankings by 400 points from Stockholm Champion John McEnroe. Though Moya will be keen to extend his majestic run of form in Medellin, the Spaniard is also excited by the arrival of exciting younger players like Gaudio to the ATP Champions Tour.

“I think it’s good for the Tour to have this competition,” he said. “It is a challenge for everyone else to beat me. I am happy that I still play well and I am in good shape but I am not unbeatable. I have lost twice on the Tour in the past year and there are definitely guys out there like (Mark) Philippoussis, (Marat) Safin, (Thomas) Enqvist that play at the same level, especially on a faster court.”

Moya and Gaudio will be joined in Medellin from May 3-6 by Chilean hero Marcelo Rios, ‘The Little Magician’ Fabrice Santoro and Medellin native Michael Quintero, with one name yet to be announced.

Matches are played over the best of three sets, with a Champions’ Tie-break (first to 10 points with a clear advantage of two) to decide the winner. After all round-robin matches are complete, the top two players in each group will meet in Tuesday's final.

After Medellin, the ATP Champions Tour travels to The Grand Champions Brazil in Sao Paulo, (May 10-13).

I know babb will like this:
Guillermo Coria y Gastón Gaudio

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #631 on: March 27, 2013, 08:44:54 PM »
Tommy and X-Man cruising in doubles in Miami  :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #632 on: March 31, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #633 on: May 13, 2013, 09:38:28 AM »
Tommy and X-Man playing doubles again, this time in Rome. :))

TOMMY HAAS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Time to update My Guys!

Retired:
Safin
Gaudio
Gonzalez
Dent

Added:
Fognini
Wawrinka
Sock

Others to watch:
Dimitrov
Janowicz, my new crazy man  :;:-| 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 05:29:16 AM by Babblelot »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
Re: My Guys! Haas Almagro Gasquet Fognini Robredo Wawrinka Malisse Sock
« Reply #635 on: July 12, 2013, 08:02:11 AM »
I'm a bit surprised by the Fog, but I can totally see where that came from.

He has tremendous amount of wasted talent so far. Could as well compare him to the Gulbis if you like.

And both Dimitrov and Janowicz are already on my watchlist.

You'd like Sijsling also..

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #636 on: July 14, 2013, 07:42:50 AM »
I'm a bit surprised Stan made your list.
What do you like abooot him?
Aside from his 1HBH of course! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #637 on: July 14, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
Trying to post pictures of Fognini's first ATP title at Stuttgart today but Yahoo! has them pretty well protected.

:Confused:

Got this picture but it was too much trouble  :\

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:12:00 PM by Babblelot »

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #638 on: July 14, 2013, 10:04:52 PM »
There ya go....

TOMMY HAAS

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #639 on: July 14, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »

TOMMY HAAS