Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 278277 times)

Offline The Comeback Kid

• Tennis Addict
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #6220 on: February 03, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
Yea I expect Murray and Djokovic to challenge Nadal in the future too, how much though is anyone's guess. I think Murray has got more potential to do so. We shall see. One thing's certain ; It won't be easy for any player, including Nadal. There's loads of amazing players out there, and you never know who's going to have a stunning week or two.

I just want to be happy with what you've got. I know what I had to say so far didn't make you very happy, but know it is my opinion after all, based on what I saw so far. What you believe should be more important to you. Every king has his enemies and so will Nadal. Maybe then you can take some comfort in that. You think of Nadal as a beast who's just not letting Federer breaking Pete's record. To be honest, I feel the same about Federer. He's a prick to me who's trying to break Pete's record and so soon. I haven't even dealt with the fact that he's no longer playing. Or else why do you see me talking about him all the time?

On the contrary, I'm not thinking of Nadal as some 'beast' or 'monster' who isn't letting Roger get to Pete's haul; no, I'm not worried about that at all. In my humble opinion, that record is just a matter of time. One or two defeats in slam finals isn't going to change that. Roger's got atleast 3 years of good play left in him, and I can't see him not winning atleast 1 slam out of 12. People just love drama and the media feed off that..already they're making such a fuss over whether Roger is finished or if he will win another slam. I think even if Roger fails to win one this year and next, he could still win one in 2011. He's that talented. You can never write him off. Just needs the head to be screwed on the right way round. Just my opinion.

I am more worried about the delay being caused in getting to that record...I think once Roger gets to 14/15, he will relax completely, not worry about No 1, more slams , etc he'll start enjoying himself again, and that's when he'll be at his free flowing best. Thats what my concerns are..the longer it takes to get to the number, the less time Roger will have left to enjoy before his eventual retirement.

Sorry to hear you feel so harshly about Roger just because he is closing in on Pete's record. I wouldn't feel the same way about Nadal if one day he breaks Roger's records. Its just numbers. 14 15 20 whatever...Lendl has 2 more majors than Becker; still , for me, Becker was the better player. In some people's eyes Roger will never be as good as Pete, and vice versa. There is no greater or greatest or GOAT if you ask me. For example, I believe Federer, Sampras and Edberg to be the greatest players I have ever seen playing the game. It hasn't got anything to do with their slam record or other records; instead, its got everything to do with the way they played the game. When they were in the zone I haven't seen more beautiful tennis being played.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6221 on: February 03, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »
To add variety to all this, remember the time when Pete threw up into a flowerpot in the middle of a match   :sick: ..-) ?
I think that was the AO back in the 1990s.
Sorry, Dallas  :( . These things are never forgotten. We recall them decades later.

Was that against Corretja at the USO only to win the tournament a few rounds later?  Saving at least one match point in the process?  What a match!!!

Yes, Scott, background memory has been at work and says now that it was the USO and that he won anyway! It was, at the time, as they say, awkward.

I remember sitting in my dorm room gripping the chair so tight I thought I might break it.  That match was intense.  That was the first match that brought tears to my eyes.  That would probably one of the most memorable matches for me.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6222 on: February 03, 2009, 07:00:29 PM »
To add variety to all this, remember the time when Pete threw up into a flowerpot in the middle of a match   :sick: ..-) ?
I think that was the AO back in the 1990s.
Sorry, Dallas  :( . These things are never forgotten. We recall them decades later.

Was that against Corretja at the USO only to win the tournament a few rounds later?  Saving at least one match point in the process?  What a match!!!

Yes, Scott, background memory has been at work and says now that it was the USO and that he won anyway! It was, at the time, as they say, awkward.

Euroka, all those early nights - what are they good for if your memory fails you this much? Tsk, tsk. Okay, so you are not as die-hard a fan as I but still. It was back 1996 NOT in 1990 and it was a quarter final match against Corretja, who probably played the best match in his life. I hope you are at least aware of Pete's blood condition that prevented Pete from playing really long matches. In fact, when I became a fan of Pete, the word was, Pete wasn't good enough to play a best of five set match and if it did go to a five set, he's likely to lose the match. Anyway, Pete served an ace on his second serve. It wasn't as powerful but the placing was just perfect. Took Corretja and all of us by surprise and Pete got a standing ovation from the crowd that night after the match. It was one of the best matches he ever played. Corretja was very respectful to Pete. Love him for that.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6223 on: February 03, 2009, 07:17:22 PM »
Yea I expect Murray and Djokovic to challenge Nadal in the future too, how much though is anyone's guess. I think Murray has got more potential to do so. We shall see. One thing's certain ; It won't be easy for any player, including Nadal. There's loads of amazing players out there, and you never know who's going to have a stunning week or two.

I just want to be happy with what you've got. I know what I had to say so far didn't make you very happy, but know it is my opinion after all, based on what I saw so far. What you believe should be more important to you. Every king has his enemies and so will Nadal. Maybe then you can take some comfort in that. You think of Nadal as a beast who's just not letting Federer breaking Pete's record. To be honest, I feel the same about Federer. He's a prick to me who's trying to break Pete's record and so soon. I haven't even dealt with the fact that he's no longer playing. Or else why do you see me talking about him all the time?

On the contrary, I'm not thinking of Nadal as some 'beast' or 'monster' who isn't letting Roger get to Pete's haul; no, I'm not worried about that at all. In my humble opinion, that record is just a matter of time. One or two defeats in slam finals isn't going to change that. Roger's got atleast 3 years of good play left in him, and I can't see him not winning atleast 1 slam out of 12. People just love drama and the media feed off that..already they're making such a fuss over whether Roger is finished or if he will win another slam. I think even if Roger fails to win one this year and next, he could still win one in 2011. He's that talented. You can never write him off. Just needs the head to be screwed on the right way round. Just my opinion.

I am more worried about the delay being caused in getting to that record...I think once Roger gets to 14/15, he will relax completely, not worry about No 1, more slams , etc he'll start enjoying himself again, and that's when he'll be at his free flowing best. Thats what my concerns are..the longer it takes to get to the number, the less time Roger will have left to enjoy before his eventual retirement.

Sorry to hear you feel so harshly about Roger just because he is closing in on Pete's record. I wouldn't feel the same way about Nadal if one day he breaks Roger's records. Its just numbers. 14 15 20 whatever...Lendl has 2 more majors than Becker; still , for me, Becker was the better player. In some people's eyes Roger will never be as good as Pete, and vice versa. There is no greater or greatest or GOAT if you ask me. For example, I believe Federer, Sampras and Edberg to be the greatest players I have ever seen playing the game. It hasn't got anything to do with their slam record or other records; instead, its got everything to do with the way they played the game. When they were in the zone I haven't seen more beautiful tennis being played.

Roger will probably break the record. I say that all the time despite my antics at times re: the record on this fourm. I don't think I have the power to prevent it and to be honest, even if I did, I wouldn't do anything about it. You will know me better as we get along. I will be hurt no doubt but it's not up to me. I am sure something else will comfort me. It evens out in the end or so I noticed. I can't wish for something that may contain some harm. It will only come true if there's none.

Don't count your feelings ahead of time though. You don't know how you will end up feeling. Life is very strange in its very own way. I always say what goes around really goes around and it really does. I also say time will tell and it will.

I don't believe in the GOAT either. I said that many times before. I find Roger a bit arrogant and spoiled for my taste. Otherwise I probably wound't have minded him as much. It's a combination of a few things, really. I find Pete's game very beautiful and as for Roger, I would say that it is, indeed, easy on the eye. But one has to be mentally very strong in order for me to like them as a whole. We have our differeneces.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6224 on: February 03, 2009, 10:01:25 PM »
I'll also point out one other famous crying incident that occurred a few years ago - Sampras breaking down in his AO semi against Courier (is that right?), after Gully had just been diagnosed with cancer.  That was in the middle of the match.  Pretty traumatic, I wasn't even a Sampras fan at the time and I got choked up - no shame in that in my book.  And another thing:  I don't think anyone would use this incident to question Sampras' mental tenacity.  Different circumstances, but really, there was alot of history riding on this AO final.  Many of Fed's goals, which seemed very reachable just a couple years ago, look seriously in doubt now.

There are two sides to the story, but you are right, people don't question Pete's mental tenacity. Remember how that went? The crowd was unaware of the situation. Courier said, "We can do this tomorrow," and the crowd roared with laughter. Pete flipped it off and destroyed Courier.

The other side isn't relevant to a discussion of Pete's "mental tenacity."

Big difference between a Hall of Fame acceptance, in which case your career is over and all of the emotions hit as you look back on a lifetime of work, and losing a single match to a great rival.  In my opinion, they are 2 different things completely.  Scott has more respect for federer after this, which is fine.  I like Scott and am thankful for this site.  But, to counterbalance him, I will say I have less respect for Federer now.  His display of uncontrollable tears was very lame in my opinion.  Not only is he being made fun of by the entire sports world right now, but he also stole Nadal's moment in the sun and made it a very awkward experience.

Pass the popcorn, please.

You are being more stubborn on this than anyone else.  I can't believe you would (if you do) think that Fed did any of it intentionally.  He did not choose to do that.  It was bad timing and he himself knows that and regrets how it went down.  But, the real question is why is it so bothersome to you that Fed cried?  Do you have a problem with men showing that kind of emotion in general? 

Plus, you are being defensive..........of tennis, worrying that other people think tennis is a wimpy sport because of things like Fed's crying.  You know tennis rules so why can't you say screw what anyone else thinks.  If they want to think tennis is a wimpy sport and not give it a chance then it is their loss and weakness.

I don't think it was intentional for Federer to ball.  I am indeed being stubborn and so far can not let it go.  I may consider therapy if this does not get better soon.   ;-()  One way or another, I will get over this.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #6225 on: February 03, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »

I don't think it was intentional for Federer to ball.  I am indeed being stubborn and so far can not let it go.  I may consider therapy if this does not get better soon.   ;-()  One way or another, I will get over this.

Jeffrx, if you think you may need therapy for this - then you really DO need therapy.  :scared:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:55:06 AM by Dallas »

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #6226 on: February 03, 2009, 11:13:35 PM »
From tennis.com - http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2009/02/oz-the-a-list.html

The Menís Trophy Ceremony
Now it was Federerís turn to cry. Heís done this on other occasions, but always, as far as I can remember, in victory. Nadal handled the moment with class, letting Federer finish first and then beginning his own speech by saying, sincerely, that he knew Federer would ďimprove the 14 of Sampras.Ē

For anyone who thinks that Federer reinforces a stereotype of unmanliness in tennis players by crying publicly, remember that Michael Jordan bawled like a baby when he won his first NBA title and again when he won a title the year after his fatherís death. Jack Nicklaus cried when he won majors; as he got older, he even teared up when he heard the roar of the crowd after a great tee shot at the Masters or the U.S. Open.

Thatís something none of us can understand: We know what itís like to win or lose a tennis match, but we donít know what itís like to do it in front of a massive, cheering crowd. Federer broke down when he heard the Aussie crowd roar its approval even after he'd been defeated. There must be something about Australia and Laver Arena that gets to him; his last major meltdown came after his 2006 title in Melbourne. Maybe itís because Oz was the home of his late coach Peter Carter. Maybe itís because he sees the old Aussie legends, including Laver, arranged in front of him. Or maybe itís because tennis is a game of emotional ups and downs where you have no teammatesóno netóto help break your fall. The best players bring the most emotion to the game; some show it on the court, some donít, but itís there. Federer, in the most naked, embarrassing, appealing, and indelible way possible, reminded us again that itís deep in him too.

Is this the best rivalry in sports? I wasnít sure until I saw Nadal throw his arm around Federerís neck on the trophy stand. Now I am. A+

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6227 on: February 04, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »
From tennis.com - http://tennisworld.typepad.com/thewrap/2009/02/oz-the-a-list.html

Now it was Federerís turn to cry. Heís done this on other occasions, but always, as far as I can remember, in victory. Nadal handled the moment with class, letting Federer finish first and then beginning his own speech by saying, sincerely, that he knew Federer would ďimprove the 14 of Sampras.Ē

For anyone who thinks that Federer reinforces a stereotype of unmanliness in tennis players by crying publicly, remember that Michael Jordan bawled like a baby when he won his first NBA title and again when he won a title the year after his fatherís death. Jack Nicklaus cried when he won majors; as he got older, he even teared up when he heard the roar of the crowd after a great tee shot at the Masters or the U.S. Open.

Thatís something none of us can understand: We know what itís like to win or lose a tennis match, but we donít know what itís like to do it in front of a massive, cheering crowd. Federer broke down when he heard the Aussie crowd roar its approval even after he'd been defeated. There must be something about Australia and Laver Arena that gets to him; his last major meltdown came after his 2006 title in Melbourne. Maybe itís because Oz was the home of his late coach Peter Carter. Maybe itís because he sees the old Aussie legends, including Laver, arranged in front of him. Or maybe itís because tennis is a game of emotional ups and downs where you have no teammatesóno netóto help break your fall. The best players bring the most emotion to the game; some show it on the court, some donít, but itís there. Federer, in the most naked, embarrassing, appealing, and indelible way possible, reminded us again that itís deep in him too.

Is this the best rivalry in sports? I wasnít sure until I saw Nadal throw his arm around Federerís neck on the trophy stand. Now I am. A+

Why? and why bother posting this? What does this do for your argument? validate it? Posts like these crack me up!

I can give a ratz ass about what some scribe has to say. I can't argue with him, but I can argue with you. You post it with emphasis as if it trumps anything that's already been said, either praising or ridiculing, Federer. Is this not anything more than a regurgitaion of what's been said here the past three days?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #6228 on: February 04, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »

Why? and why bother posting this? What does this do for your argument? validate it? Posts like these crack me up!

I can give a ratz ass about what some scribe has to say. I can't argue with him, but I can argue with you. You post it with emphasis as if it trumps anything that's already been said, either praising or ridiculing, Federer. Is this not anything more than a regurgitaion of what's been said here the past three days?

I can give a ratz ass about what you have to say. I can't convince you otherwise, but I can argue with you. You mock what I was trying to highlight as if it trumped anything that's already been said by you. Is this not anything more than a regurgitation of what you've been saying here for past three days?

Seriously though, if we're going to complain about people saying the same things over and over again in different ways, we might as well close up shop and make a mutual vow to never waste time on message boards again.

Or would you prefer

::popcorn::

?

On a final note, the bold indicates the parts of the quote I found relevant, not any sort of indication of its superiority regarding the ideas stated.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:42:59 AM by TheEternalCowboy »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6229 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:00 AM »

I can give a ratz ass about what you have to say. I can't convince you otherwise, but I can argue with you. You mock what I was trying to highlight as if it trumped anything that's already been said by you. Is this not anything more than a regurgitation of what you've been saying here for past three days?

Seriously though, if we're going to complain about people saying the same things over and over again in different ways, we might as well close up shop and make a mutual vow to never waste time on message boards again.

Or would you prefer

?

On a final note, the bold indicates the parts of the quote I found relevant, not any sort of indication of its superiority regarding the ideas stated.

Parts you are unable to articulate yourself? Have you grown so lazy to repeat what you've said a half dozen times now that you're resigned to posting comments of others that sound similar to those of your own?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #6230 on: February 04, 2009, 06:38:51 AM »

Or would you prefer

?

Parts you are unable to articulate yourself? Have you grown so lazy to repeat what you've said a half dozen times now that you're resigned to posting comments of others that sound similar to those of your own?

I was trying to illustrate the circular nature of all these posts, how a complaint of one could very well turn into a complain of another with the change of very few key words. 

And Steve Tignor put it well, so I thought I'd share. 

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6231 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:14 AM »

The difference is Jordan won and it was his monent.  He had tears of victory.

Roger lost.  He cried not because he won, but because he lost.  He cried because he lost a tennis match.  Nothing less, nothing more. 

I bring you back to the headline in the NY Daily News - "Nadal Wins Australian Open, Reduces Federer To Tears." 

This is right up there with Terrell Owens crying after that loss, stating "that's my quarterback, man."  He was ridiculed endlessly for that and still is.  Yep, this is right up there with that.

Offline Somil

• Tennis God
« Reply #6232 on: February 04, 2009, 08:46:16 AM »
Wow, I just re-watched the Doha QF between Monfils-Nadal. What a distant memory! So many of Nadal's hard court limitations were revealed and exposed in that match and within a week, he overcame these.
He faced a similar barrage against Verdasco but hung in there and his defiance prevailed. Nadal, for the next few years, is going to be so hard to beat over 5 sets.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6233 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:52 AM »

Jeffrx, if you think you may need therapy for this - then you really DO need therapy.  :scared:

I can provide some therapy. I am taking new patients at the moment. One of my big clients goes by the name Babbs and that's all I am saying.  :zipped: My reputation precedes me.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:54:46 AM by Dallas »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6234 on: February 04, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »

I can provide some therapy. I am taking new patients at the moment. One of my big clients goes by the name Babbs and that's all I am saying.  :zipped: My reputation precedes me.
Yeah, he seems to be alot better since you started working with him Emma. :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6235 on: February 04, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »

Yeah, he seems to be alot better since you started working with him Emma. :\

He'll be cured eventually. I am looking forward to have Federer as my client. I will teach him how to cry manly...as in the way Pete cries. There's a time and place for everything so I have to teach him that too.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #6236 on: February 04, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »

He'll be cured eventually. I am looking forward to have Federer as my client. I will teach him how to cry manly...as in the way Pete cries. There's a time and place for everything so I have to teach him that too.

You must be an expert indeed if you've identified differences in the way Pete cries in comparison to Fed.  Perhaps we need a new thread to compare players' crying styles?  With one constraint:  the new thread has to have Rafa in the title somehow...   :)~
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6237 on: February 04, 2009, 12:41:21 PM »

Sign me up Emma!  I really need help.   :) 

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #6238 on: February 04, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »
Bravisimo Rafa!  :)
Excellent and amazing tournament!
First spaniard to win the australian open!
I am so proud of you!
Numero 1.
Felicidades Campeon!
Bravisimo!

I want to add 2 comments about 2 posts.

Babbelot "I don't like the ESP v ESP; that is going to be working against Fernando, too."

well, I should say this post was a surprise coming from a clay court fan and roland garros fan. whatever, what a wonderful match between 2 friends to remember forever.
and the title was coming with the semifinal between the spaniards, the stat: only 3 times before the legendary match an all spanish semifinal in a grand slam and always at the end a spaniard winning the title.

I love this post a lot:
Euroka1 " While still trying to work it out and scanning through the thread, I feel very sad that some of the posters here really take such a joy in other peoples sorrows. At times like this, it is a very mean streak    to be carrying through life. Let's see some compassion"

Excellent post, in fact the most important thing playing tennis and posting in a tennis board is to always respect opponents playing and posters in a forum. I also think, it's easy to win but it's more important to know how to try to help when people or posters are sad because their players had a bad day. Respect is one of the most important thing not only in tennis but also in life.

I have nothing more to say about the ao. Nothing more.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 12:58:05 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6239 on: February 04, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
Bravisimo Rafa!  :)
Excellent and amazing tournament!
First spaniard to win the australian open!
I am so proud of you!
Numero 1.
Felicidades Campeon!
Bravisimo!

I want to add 2 comments about 2 posts.

Babbelot "I don't like the ESP v ESP; that is going to be working against Fernando, too."

well, I should say this post was a surprise coming from a clay court fan and roland garros fan. whatever, what a wonderful match between 2 friends to remember forever.
and the title was coming with the semifinal between the spaniards, the stat: only 3 times before the legendary match an all spanish semifinal in a grand slam and always at the end a spaniard winning the title.

Hi conchita!

I was pleasantly surprised by Fernando's determination. He has come a long way in a short period of time. I always believed the ESP v. ESP worked against Alex Corretja at RG v. both Moya and Costa. I do think it might have worked against Fernando a couple of years ago, but I have no way to prove it.  :)

No big whoop. I'm happy to be wrong.  :)