Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 288789 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #6280 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »
herc darling, I am just very happy that you are back. And I hope the biking thing went very well.

yes emma darling. its good to be back. i see people have already started throwing spears at me starting with none other than Scotty himself. i would have thought he knew me better than that.

The problem is some of us know you too well I fear!?  

Question dear: why do you only surface when Fed makes a slam final? What up with dat?

You know that to be the trend do you?  Truth is, I have been on here a long time and used to read every single post in every thread.  I don't have time for that crap anymore.  Plus, I can't stand illogical, unreasonable posts from some of the people here...........so, for that reason I avoid the tennis discussions some.  I just came back in the tennis discussions to drop in and check to see what people had to say about the big match.  I have remained consistently in the journals and general discussions.

OSU is always representing in the journals (he might be the only one who reads mine half of the time).   :)

I really want to do more in the journals.  But it starts with my own, which lies dormant most of the time.
I find myself envying those who get out and play, and have to leave with my tail between my legs.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #6281 on: February 04, 2009, 10:59:20 PM »
herc darling, I am just very happy that you are back. And I hope the biking thing went very well.

yes emma darling. its good to be back. i see people have already started throwing spears at me starting with none other than Scotty himself. i would have thought he knew me better than that.

Question dear: why do you only surface when Fed makes a slam final? What up with dat?

You know that to be the trend do you?  Truth is, I have been on here a long time and used to read every single post in every thread.  I don't have time for that crap anymore.  Plus, I can't stand illogical, unreasonable posts from some of the people here...........so, for that reason I avoid the tennis discussions some.  I just came back in the tennis discussions to drop in and check to see what people had to say about the big match.  I have remained consistently in the journals and general discussions.

OSU is always representing in the journals (he might be the only one who reads mine half of the time).   :)

I really want to do more in the journals.  But it starts with my own, which lies dormant most of the time.
I find myself envying those who get out and play, and have to leave with my tail between my legs.

How come you don't play more, is it obligations or just motivation?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6282 on: February 04, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »

How come you don't play more, is it obligations or just motivation?

Lack of opportunity. I just don't know enough people near by who can play (at a decent level) on my schedule. Well, the fact is, at the moment, I don't know anybody who fits that description.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:52:38 PM by dmastous »

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6283 on: February 05, 2009, 05:18:26 AM »

But isn't that your job regardless? See, I can stir too. Doesn't feel as good though does it, when the dishes come back?  :)~ Good night. Needless to say, I enjoyed teasing you this fortnight.  Tit for tat after all. :))

Job?  Is what my job?  I have a real job..............this place is a hobby.............often, a waste of time with ridiculous posters!  

if it is such a waste of time with "ridiculous posters" then explain your 200,000 posts. what you want is an army of posters engaged in blind worship of Fed just like you. that is not what makes the forum interesting. in fact, it kills it.

Most of those posts were made before you arrived...  If you think he wants a Fed army here you are sorely mistaken. 

And if you can refrain from posting insulting comments about players (Fed or otherwise) because someone posted it elsewhere, and you cannot confirm, it would be appreciated.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6284 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:03 AM »

that crying episode is a bit selfish. i heard that the Clay Monster said somewhere that he found it hard to really enjoy the monent since Fed was so shook up about his loss. instead of enjoying the moment, he was compelled to console Fed.

You "heard" it eh?  Well, if you find that in a post match interview please feel free to post it.  Until then, nice try...
Actually I read the same thing and posted as much here somewhere.
I'll see if I can dig it up.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6285 on: February 05, 2009, 06:20:45 AM »

that crying episode is a bit selfish. i heard that the Clay Monster said somewhere that he found it hard to really enjoy the monent since Fed was so shook up about his loss. instead of enjoying the moment, he was compelled to console Fed.

You "heard" it eh?  Well, if you find that in a post match interview please feel free to post it.  Until then, nice try...

Well, you suck because you will not let me win in chess you bishop forking bastard!  I was winning that game too!

And my apologies to Herc if Nadal was quoted saying that.  Sounded like Hearsay.
Scott Baker

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6286 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:16 AM »

Well, you suck because you will not let me win in chess you bishop forking bastard!  I was winning that game too!

And my apologies to Herc if Nadal was quoted saying that.  Sounded like Hearsay.
No sweat, I've been called a 'forker' before, especially at the buffet table!
You were winning mathematically but not positionally. :)~  Witness my ability to ream your bishop and queen simultaneously. :rofl_2:

I must have read the same article Herc did and posted as much (#6111) in this very thread.
I've said before, I think Roger's tears put a damper on Rafa's victory celebration and Nadal handled it extremely well.

Now, back to the reaming!!!!! :)>>>>
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6287 on: February 05, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »

No sweat, I've been called a 'forker' before, especially at the buffet table!
You were winning mathematically but not positionally. :)~  Witness my ability to ream your bishop and queen simultaneously. :rofl_2:

I must have read the same article Herc did and posted as much (#6111) in this very thread.
I've said before, I think Roger's tears put a damper on Rafa's victory celebration and Nadal handled it extremely well.

Now, back to the reaming!!!!! :)>>>>

Although I like your position better, the points say we are even.  I am holding onto that for now!
Scott Baker

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6288 on: February 05, 2009, 07:44:44 AM »

But isn't that your job regardless? See, I can stir too. Doesn't feel as good though does it, when the dishes come back?  :)~ Good night. Needless to say, I enjoyed teasing you this fortnight.  Tit for tat after all. :))

Job?  Is what my job?  I have a real job..............this place is a hobby.............often, a waste of time with ridiculous posters!  

if it is such a waste of time with "ridiculous posters" then explain your 200,000 posts. what you want is an army of posters engaged in blind worship of Fed just like you. that is not what makes the forum interesting. in fact, it kills it.

It is very simple Hercules.  The desire is for this to be a civilized place to discuss tennis and other things.  It is often not that.  If you can't understand what I am saying here then there is no hope. 

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #6289 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

I hear ya.  I stayed away from here for a few months, not enjoying the thought of having to either ignore the retarded posts, or delve into the negativity of arguing against them on a constant basis.  But for whatever reason, I got this idea that the core posters here (the Federeeeesians??) could bring back the positivity and fun, and most of all, the willingness to respect other opinions, that has sadly been missing for a while.  So I hope you can wade through some of the crap and continue to post in the main forums!

This is how I feel exactly.............you worded it all much better than I can!   ;-()   

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6290 on: February 05, 2009, 08:12:54 AM »
From my viewpoint, most of the friction here is caused by passionate fans who sometimes go overboard in their support and defense of their opinions.  We don't all have to agree, but I think we all need to be courteous and respectful of other players and forum members in our discussions.  It's ok to disagree, but arrogance and intolerance of others (even if they are wrong) does nothing to promote spirited conversation.  To think that many members avoid certain topics because of this friction is just plain sad.

I'll do my best to take my own advice!!! ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline ovg

• Tennis God
« Reply #6291 on: February 05, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »
From my viewpoint, most of the friction here is caused by passionate fans who sometimes go overboard in their support and defense of their opinions.  We don't all have to agree, but I think we all need to be courteous and respectful of other players and forum members in our discussions.  It's ok to disagree, but arrogance and intolerance of others (even if they are wrong) does nothing to promote spirited conversation.  To think that many members avoid certain topics because of this friction is just plain sad.

Going a little further on your point: unless someone is saying something factually incorrect, for ex. saying a player is 25 when they are in fact 23, people can't be "wrong" - opinions may be stupid or misguided (in your opinion), but they can't be wrong.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6292 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:33 AM »

Going a little further on your point: unless someone is saying something factually incorrect, for ex. saying a player is 25 when they are in fact 23, people can't be "wrong" - opinions may be stupid or misguided (in your opinion), but they can't be wrong.
Agreed.  What seems to happen is that some folks think their opinions are facts.  :(  (That's my opinion, of course! ;-())
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:41:26 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #6293 on: February 05, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »

Agreed.  What seems to happen is that some folks think their opinions are facts.  :(  (That's my opinion, of course! ;-())

That's what I've been saying!  :whistling:

An ambition fulfilled

Offline ovg

• Tennis God
« Reply #6294 on: February 05, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »
As I recall, it was one of you two who accussed my of skimming, Guilty as charged, because there can be too many pages of rants to read so I may miss the odd good comments stuck in there. (I am supposed to be working  :rofl_2:)

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #6295 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:52 AM »

If you express your opinion about certain players you basically have to be prepared for war, because you will be chewed out. Since I'm low on ammo these days, I'm very selective in what I respond to.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #6296 on: February 05, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
I thought Hercules was gone!?   :confused1:
nice try osu. i was in south florida racing bikes. i did end up missing the final but saw it a couple of days later. needless to say but i knew who was going to win it.

Oh great toothslayer - the wizust of the wize - your return has been anticipated.  I trust that your great journey was successful - yea, the great and solitary journey that must be taken along the dangerous road, the road that some say leads to Hershey.  I trust that you were able to witness the strokings of the doomsday machine, and that you were able to partake in the resulting joy of that peak performance, reaching that rare and cherished pinnacle of ecstasy reserved for the greatest of the wielders of the 27 inch stick.  I trust that you will be able to pull, or indeed yank, further great predictions from your impressive sack of knowledge and wisdom in the near future.  Please do not keep us in the dark, but rather shower us with the great white light of your most special talents.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6297 on: February 05, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »
I thought Hercules was gone!?   :confused1:
nice try osu. i was in south florida racing bikes. i did end up missing the final but saw it a couple of days later. needless to say but i knew who was going to win it.

Oh great toothslayer - the wizust of the wize - your return has been anticipated.  I trust that your great journey was successful - yea, the great and solitary journey that must be taken along the dangerous road, the road that some say leads to Hershey.  I trust that you were able to witness the strokings of the doomsday machine, and that you were able to partake in the resulting joy of that peak performance, reaching that rare and cherished pinnacle of ecstasy reserved for the greatest of the wielders of the 27 inch stick.  I trust that you will be able to pull, or indeed yank, further great predictions from your impressive sack of knowledge and wisdom in the near future.  Please do not keep us in the dark, but rather shower us with the great white light of your most special talents.

Perhaps the best post I have ever witnessed! 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #6298 on: February 05, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:31:38 AM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
    • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #6299 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
grades for the Australian Open:

Oz: The Bs, the Cs, the D 
Posted 02/04/2009 @ 6 :05 PM

More than most major sporting events, Grand Slams linger in the mind. That’s due first off to their length, and to the sheer amount of tennis that our brains must process in that time. Do you remember the first-week classic between Fernando Gonzalez and Richard Gasquet? I’d forgotten all about it until just now. But Slams also linger because there’s so much weight attached to each of them by players and fans. When we look back at any tennis season, a good 80 percent of its historically significant events will have been crammed into the eight weeks in which the majors were running.

So before we leave Oz and begin to consider what’s happening at Viña del Mar—a tournament that always looks cool on TV, perhaps the only one that qualifies as sultry—I’ll draw up one more report card from the last fortnight.

Dinara Safina
In general I prefer to watch the women of Serbia rather than the women of Russia. While the Russians’ athleticism and fierceness is undeniable, Ivanovic and Jankovic move and swing a little more smoothly: they seem like tennis players first, jocks second. In the past it was the same with Safina, who always looked clunky, red-faced, and angry when I happened to catch one of her matches.

I’m still not drawn to her game, especially her serve, but I admit there’s satisfaction in seeing her slug her heavy shots—even when she chokes—rather than push the ball back or motor around all day and grind her opponents down. She’s also developing an intriguing, if unfortunate, persona as a terminal second-fiddle: Younger sister to a star, French Open finalist, Olympic silver medalist, Aussie Open finalist. Her current ranking fits her to a T for the moment, and she even admitted after the final that the thought of becoming No. 1 had made her more nervous. This was clearly not the case with her opponent: When Serena walked over to her box after winning, she had to be reminded by a guy in the front row that she was, “No. 1, baby.” Serena, a younger sibling who has never had much trouble getting out of her older sister's shadow, didn’t seem to have given it much thought.

Still, Safina—by the way, can we go back to saying Saf-EE-na? I can’t get into SAF-ina; it sounds like the brand name of a mattress—has been one of women’s pleasant surprises over the last 12 months. She’s established herself in the WTA’s elite in a short amount of time after living outside of it for so long. As her body’s fitness has improved, her self-belief has jumped along with it. It’s been a gradual process, but Safina, as she proved against Cornet and Dokic here, doesn’t accept losing to the rank-and-file anymore, even when she’s not playing well. That’s the first step to winning a Slam. It may not look like it so soon after she was booted off the court in Melbourne by Serena, but she’s at least positioned herself to win one in Paris. She might surprise us again. A-

Fernando Verdasco
There are some things, whatever we do in the off-seasons of our lives, that we can’t change about ourselves. For Verdasco, it's the curse of the shaky serve on the crucial point, of the nerves that seem banished but return from out of nowhere. Otherwise, the guy has improved just about everything else. Like Safina, I’ve never found his game appealing; that is, until his matches with Murray and Nadal in Melbourne. You could do worse than watch tapes of Verdasco’s forehand—the set-up, the balance, the easy-but-full shoulder rotation—if you wanted to internalize the mechanics of the stroke. Too bad, in the end, he’ll be remembered at this tournament for making his friend look even better. A-

ESPN
There’s too much chatter and more early round Williams sisters—and, sorry to say, Bud Collins—than is absolutely necessary. But the network is covering a tournament that takes place halfway around the world and in the middle of our night, and they’re bringing us multiple hours of it—maybe even, I began to think as I watched Svetlana Kuznetsova beat Jie Zheng, too much of it. When we think of how festive and entertaining the Aussie Open seems, where do you think we get that impression? A-

Andy Roddick
I admire him for continuing to do everything he can just to bang his head against the ceiling known as Roger Federer. But for some reason, his efforts have created one of the most schizophrenic games in history: Biggest serve ever, then pure defense afterward. It should be enough to get him to plenty of semis this year. B

Elena Dementieva
Again, there are some things we can’t change about ourselves. Dementieva had two fatal flaws in Melbourne: Her serve, of course, and having to face Serena Williams, who is better than she is at tennis. B

Vera Zvonareva
I thought she was ready to make the final, but Safina was stronger in their semi. Still, Vera played some of the best tennis of the women’s event and didn’t maim herself in the process. B

Marion Bartoli
Her demolition of Jankovic was eye-popping. Against my better judgment, I get the feeling she might sustain that kind of play at a Slam someday. B

Richard Gasquet
He lost another heartbreaker, but he showed more fight in defeat than usual. Maybe too much—I thought some of his fist-pumps were mistimed. Whether or not he learns how to marshall his desire, à la Nadal, Gasquet reminded me again of how much I like to watch him play and how much I wish I’d get to see more of him at the big tournaments. B

Victoria Azarenka
History won’t record it, but Serena Williams was down a set in this tournament when one of her opponents had to retire due to illness. Before that, Azarenka brought a confident service motion and a new level of post-contact noisemaking to Melbourne—we’ve left the meager grunt way behind and moved toward the birdcall. Whatever she might sound like, she looks promising. B

Andy Murray
You could say that he ran into a buzzsaw known as Fernando Verdasco and there wasn't anything he could do about it. Or you could say that his feel-your-way-into-a-point style, while nice to look at, gives those saws too much room to buzz. I'll just say that if he wants to hang with Federer or Nadal, losing these kinds of matches is no longer an option. B-

Jelena Jankovic
You can pretty much repeat what I said about Murray for Jankovic. She gives her opponents too much room to get hot. That's OK if you want to reach the semis of 30 tournaments, but it's a bad way to make your way through seven rounds in a row. B-

Tomas Berdych
Along with tears and heat, this was a sub-theme of the Aussie Open: Bad old habits die hard. Berdych simply overpowered Federer for two sets—he could have won them by more lopsided scores—then let the elements distract him just long enough to turn the tables on himself. Or, more likely, his nervousness about finishing the match made those elements harder to ignore. B-

Tennis Channel
While ESPN brought out the Aussie Open’s vibrancy, TC made it look like any other event. The network obviously doesn’t have the same kind of resources, and it didn’t have the same access to the best matches. But it could still find a better-matched commentating pair than the oil-and-water team of Martina Navratilova and Bill Macatee. B-

Ana Ivanovic
She's gone in the opposite direction from Safina since their French final last year. Maybe her strokes are too low margin, maybe she doesn't have the killer instinct after all, maybe she was out of shape, maybe she has too many distractions and possibilities and doesn't need to be great. C+

Novak Djokovic
He can be a cagey competitor when he wants to be, but Djokovic can also walk into the ring with the tennis equivalent of a glass jaw. Heat or no heat, he has a habit of looking for reasons to lose when events start to go against him. At the moment, it’s hard to imagine him winning a major this season. C+

Juan Martin del Potro
The Argentine is also a cagey and intelligent competitor, as long as the stage isn’t too big or the opponent too famous. His quarterfinal night match against Roger Federer was both. C

Gael Monfils
Gasquet showed more fight, while his countryman, despite playing as well as he’s ever played, showed less than ever. How long does it take an injury of "the mind" to heal? Probably not before the end of Monfils’ career. D