Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 278852 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« on: November 16, 2008, 09:28:26 AM »
I see there is a fair amount of buzz about the Australian Open already. Why not get this party started with some early discussions. This promises to be one of the most exciting Australian Opens in recent memory.

So much is at stake. Djokovic has now pulled within just 10 points of Federer. Clay Monster gave up serious points in Paris and at the Masters Cup but still maintains a relatively comfortable lead over his chief rivals. This may buy him the time he needs to get going.

Djokovic and Murray are surging and charging ahead. Tsonga first made a name for himself here. D-Pot is another one who will be riding high.

Who are your favorites to make the semis here and why?

Place: Melbourne, Australia
Date: Jan. 19- Feb. 1, 2009
Draw Size: 128
Surface: Hard - Plexicushion
Prize Money: AUS$20,600,000
Tournament Director: Craig Tiley 
Ticket Hotline:
(61) 2 8736 2711 | Buy Online 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:50:04 AM by Tennis4you »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
for those who may have forgotten, here is how it all worked out in 2008. The mighty Serbian Slayer took his first slam here:

Djokovic Captures Maiden Grand Slam Title

Third seed Novak Djokovic became the first Serbian to capture a Grand Slam singles title with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3, 7-6(2) victory over unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at the Australian Open.

Djokovic is the first first-time Grand Slam champion since Rafael Nadal won Roland Garros in June 2005. The 20-year-old Djokovic is the fourth-youngest Australian Open champion in the Open Era.

Mark Edmondson, the last native champion from Australia, was the last unseeded winner in 1976. Tsonga, who beat three Top 10 players en route to his maiden final rises to No. 18 in the South African Airways Rankings.

Eighth-seeded Israelis Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram clinched their first Grand Slam title with a 7-5, 7-6(4) win over French duo and No. 7 seeds Arnaud Clement and Michael Llodra.

Singles Final:
[3] N Djokovic (SRB) vs J-W Tsonga (FRA) 46 64 63 76(2)
Doubles Final:
[8] Erlich/Ram d [7] Clement/Llodra 75 76(4)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
yes, though early, let's get the party started and make this tournament thread a record, with most number of posts in a tournament thread.........it truly deserves to be treated that way, as the aus open 09 promises to be one of the most exciting australian open championships in the open era after a long time..........
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:42:14 AM by shankar21 »
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
yes, though early, let's get the party started and make this tournament thread a record with most number of posts.........it truly deserves to be treated that way, as it promises to be one of the most exciting australian open championships in the open era after a long time..........

afffirmative. i think the people are really fired up about this one. here is how i envision the semifinals:

1. Djokovic vs Fed
2. Clay Monster vs Murray

the final : Djokovic vs Murray

these 2 are the best hardcourt players around so why not. I am not sure if the clay monster will be 100% and we all know about some of his limitations on hard courts. additionally,he is bound to take it easy for a while since he will be coming off his knee issues.

winner has to come from these 4. D-Pot may be a dark horse to take one of the semifinal spot. Tsonga is too inconsistent so we will just have to see his progress there.

Fat Dave will not be fit enough to go deep into this slam.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:47:09 AM by hercules »

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
i truly believe that rafael has a great shot at winning this...........i just cannot wait for the draws to be out..........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
i truly believe that rafael has a great shot at winning this...........i just cannot wait for the draws to be out..........

if thats the case, i hope he is working on his fitness these days.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God

if thats the case, i hope he is working on his fitness these days.
the event is exactly 2 months and 3 days away from today...........i am sure he will be fully fit by the mid of december and will start his routine i.e, those grueling 5 hour practice sessions daily..........being just a bit faster than aus open surface, chennai just tunes him up so well and wakes up every lazy cell which would be in the state of inertia by then.........he will be just about 100% perfect by the time he enters australian open and normally he is deadly when he is that fit..........
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:17:29 AM by shankar21 »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2008 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »
I see we had Del Potro as a player higher ranked players might have to beat,but what about Haas who is 85th in rankings.Who do you think are tennis players to avoid in Early rounds.Del Potro top players wont meet till around the 1/4 final.Iv gone Haas who on his day is a massive danger,who is yours.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 10:54:49 AM »
Is it a race? Who will create the topic first? Can't we, fans, have a real break too?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:56:17 AM by Pamqnx »

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 10:57:39 AM »
Is it a race? Who will create the topic first? Can't we, fans, have a real break too?

Does that mean I should create the 2009 YEC thread?  I was just starting it.  :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:28:32 PM »

Does that mean I should create the 2009 YEC thread?  I was just starting it.  :)

Maybe we should make a 2010 Wimbledon thread too... :innocent:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

i think you rather cry, bicker, and whine then actually put forward a meaingful contribution. to each his own, i guess.

later sour grapes.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
I see we had Del Potro as a player higher ranked players might have to beat,but what about Haas who is 85th in rankings.Who do you think are tennis players to avoid in Early rounds.Del Potro top players wont meet till around the 1/4 final.Iv gone Haas who on his day is a massive danger,who is yours.

the surface suits D-Pot. he is going to be taking some major scalps early. who could be some of his victims?

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:43 PM »

you will recall that Tsonga was responsible for a huge upset of Murray in the first round at the last Australian Open.

he is another one who could cause some headaches for some early on. Tsonga is healthy for a change and he has 3 straight wins over Djokovic this year. all on hard courts.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 11:18:10 PM »

you will recall that Tsonga was responsible for a huge upset of Murray in the first round at the last Australian Open.

he is another one who could cause some headaches for some early on. Tsonga is healthy for a change and he has 3 straight wins over Djokovic this year. all on hard courts.

But the slams are different Herc...I believe Nole just gave up that match in YEC....no way is he going to be stopped by Tsonga in AO....its only the fact that he is just 10 points behind Fed that's going to motivate him in a big way....no doubt the hottest AO in years....lol...the WTA thread has just 3 posts till now... :rofl_2: This one is going to be a record Herc  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: I was thinking along the same lines here... We have more than 2 months before AO actually starts and we are having this thread already? Doesn't Chennai comes first??

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
Re: Australian Open : Jan. 19 - Feb. 1, 2009 : Melbourne, Australia / Discussio
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »
Is that your Astro Prediction? ;-()
From where I sit, it looks like the A.O. is up for grabs!!!
I don't have a clear favorite and am positive I couldn't pick the winner. :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2008, 07:05:31 AM »

the surface suits D-Pot. he is going to be taking some major scalps early. who could be some of his victims?

Not that early considering he'll be a top-8 seed, so wont meet any of the big-4 till the quarters, and to be honest, I can't see him beating any of them.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »

:rofl_2: :rofl_2: I was thinking along the same lines here... We have more than 2 months before AO actually starts and we are having this thread already? Doesn't Chennai comes first??

all roads now lead to Melbourne. 

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 08:42:47 AM »

But the slams are different Herc...I believe Nole just gave up that match in YEC....no way is he going to be stopped by Tsonga in AO....its only the fact that he is just 10 points behind Fed that's going to motivate him in a big way....no doubt the hottest AO in years....lol...the WTA thread has just 3 posts till now... :rofl_2: This one is going to be a record Herc  :)

slams are different indeed. i was just making a small point about how upsets sometimes can happen. Tsonga stopped Murray at the Australian Open last year. he also took out some other seeds.

similarly, i can see Tsonga, Simon, and D-Pot taking some scalps this year. these 3 are significantly improved players.