Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 297672 times)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2008 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 01:28:39 PM »
I see we had Del Potro as a player higher ranked players might have to beat,but what about Haas who is 85th in rankings.Who do you think are tennis players to avoid in Early rounds.Del Potro top players wont meet till around the 1/4 final.Iv gone Haas who on his day is a massive danger,who is yours.

the surface suits D-Pot. he is going to be taking some major scalps early. who could be some of his victims?

Not that early considering he'll be a top-8 seed, so wont meet any of the big-4 till the quarters, and to be honest, I can't see him beating any of them.

Del Potro ends the year ranked #9 so unless he plays a warm up for Australia he wont be a top 8 seed.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »
I see we had Del Potro as a player higher ranked players might have to beat,but what about Haas who is 85th in rankings.Who do you think are tennis players to avoid in Early rounds.Del Potro top players wont meet till around the 1/4 final.Iv gone Haas who on his day is a massive danger,who is yours.

the surface suits D-Pot. he is going to be taking some major scalps early. who could be some of his victims?

Not that early considering he'll be a top-8 seed, so wont meet any of the big-4 till the quarters, and to be honest, I can't see him beating any of them.

Del Potro ends the year ranked #9 so unless he plays a warm up for Australia he wont be a top 8 seed.

I take your point here kittens,odds are Del Potro will play a warm up & go far enough to be in the top 8.LOL if he does not then could meet higher seeds sooner as you say.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:07 PM »
kittens who are your danger men @ the Australian Open that are down lower in the rankings.Me i think Haas will be one higher seeds will want 2 miss,Haas is 85th seed ATM & we all know if he fit Haas is much better than that.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2008, 02:38:57 PM »
Couldn't we have started this thread at least after DC?

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:10 PM »
Couldn't we have started this thread at least after DC?

No lets have it now & Del Potro puts Roddick out the top 8 :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »

he nearly beat Murray at the U.S. Open. his serve let him down. i say he will be taking out a few seeds.

he is my dark horse to be in the semis. he could replace Fed in the semis for instance.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2008, 04:35:45 PM »

that increases his chances to run into the seeded players.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »

he nearly beat Murray at the U.S. Open. his serve let him down. i say he will be taking out a few seeds.

he is my dark horse to be in the semis. he could replace Fed in the semis for instance.

If Del Potro is out side the top 8,for sure he is one the higher seeds will want to miss.Also Haas might be another.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2008, 09:12:17 PM »

If Del Potro is out side the top 8,for sure he is one the higher seeds will want to miss.Also Haas might be another.

its not just D-Pot who constitutes danger for higher seeds early on. others like Tsonga, Simon, and possibly even Gulbis could walk away with some big scalps.

Clay Monster has knees issues that wont go away. Fed has back issues and he is a step slower than he used to be. upsets are possible here.

maybe even Roddick can gun down a higher seed early on.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2008, 09:48:46 PM »
Here's a sobering reminder: Djokovic has never defended a title.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »

I didn't want to bring that up (so I'm glad you did) :rofl_2:

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 10:14:10 PM »

there is a first time for everything. i see that the Federereeeesians like Dallas are just licking their chops at that possibility.

forget about it dallas. it aint gonna happen. he is 21 and healthier than a horse. its the 2 top guns that are ailing.

Clay Monster just too stupid to stay healthy. i heard that the doctors have been saying for quite sometime now to NOT ignore the signs his body was giving him.

Fed, on the other hand, is just a vicitim of aging. nobody can dominate forever. in case you never heard, 28 is considered very old for a tennis player. you can linger around but winning does get a bit harder.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

there is a first time for everything. i see that the Federereeeesians like Dallas are just licking their chops at that possibility.

forget about it dallas. it aint gonna happen. he is 21 and healthier than a horse. its the 2 top guns that are ailing.

Clay Monster just too stupid to stay healthy. i heard that the doctors have been saying for quite sometime now to NOT ignore the signs his body was giving him.

Fed, on the other hand, is just a vicitim of aging. nobody can dominate forever. in case you never heard, 28 is considered very old for a tennis player. you can linger around but winning does get a bit harder.

Bare facts as usual...pity not everyone is listening...Nole and Murray are as a matter of fact the favorites for the AO...

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48:27 AM »
Either falcon or hercules prepared to put their money where their mouth is on Murray/djokovic?

Betfair has Federer as favourite, then Nadal, Djokovic, Murray close together.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 06:01:16 AM »
Either falcon or hercules prepared to put their money where their mouth is on Murray/djokovic?

Why ask a question you already know the answer to?

CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »

My point was not 'who's the favorite'... what's irritating is the fact that folks here are blissfully happy that Nole doesn't defend his title....very happy aren't they? Well I'm ready to vote in favour of Nole and Murray closely followed by Rafa....if any other player wins...fine...but don't laugh away at the inability of a player....would you people hide your faces in shame if Nole does win the title? Will you accept your defeat when Murray actually beats Fed and wins the title? Everbody knows that Nole and Murray have stepped it up this year and infact are the best hc out there...not Fed and rafa...of course if Rafa wins..I'm gonna be the happiest..me being a fan but as a fan of tennis first logically if I had to put my money at this stage then yes I'd go with Nole and Murray....no harm in stating your favorite or betting your money on a player....but why be happy at the loss of another player? That's sadism at its zenith.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 07:51:02 AM »

I was using betfair to watch free tennis for awhile but now they have changed it and it seems you cant unless you subscribe to betting.   They probably realized many people were using them for that purpose and changed it.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 08:55:26 AM »

My point was not 'who's the favorite'... what's irritating is the fact that folks here are blissfully happy that Nole doesn't defend his title....very happy aren't they? Well I'm ready to vote in favour of Nole and Murray closely followed by Rafa....if any other player wins...fine...but don't laugh away at the inability of a player....would you people hide your faces in shame if Nole does win the title? Will you accept your defeat when Murray actually beats Fed and wins the title? Everbody knows that Nole and Murray have stepped it up this year and infact are the best hc out there...not Fed and rafa...of course if Rafa wins..I'm gonna be the happiest..me being a fan but as a fan of tennis first logically if I had to put my money at this stage then yes I'd go with Nole and Murray....no harm in stating your favorite or betting your money on a player....but why be happy at the loss of another player? That's sadism at its zenith.

good post. one has to go with Nole and Murray at this point. one of them will take this slam and probably beat up Fed along the way.

the surface is a little slower than the one at U.S. OPen. Fed`s serve is not going to bail him out so easily.

Clay Monster is a mess. i have him the in the semis but he may go out by quarters. i just want him to get a few matches under his belt then get the hell out without making those knees any worse.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 09:01:48 AM »

kicker is the worst blind Fed worshipper here. i guess he is not watching the same sport. he could not be objective if his life depended on it. last year i called about 50 matches right on the money. i guess he conveniently chooses to forget that. i call it a cheap and fickle delight of a small mind.

only a blind worshipper would have Fed as the favorite for the Australian Open. It is Murray and Djokovic who are the clear favorites.

Fed may make the semis but upset in the quarters is more than just possible. he wont get past Djokovic or Murray in the semis.

same with the clay monster. semis is possible but so is an upset in the quarters.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:07:31 AM by hercules »

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 09:14:08 AM »

kicker is the worst blind Fed worshipper here. i guess he is not watching the same sport. he could not be objective if his life depended on it. last year i called about 50 matches right on the money. i guess he conveniently chooses to forget that. i call it a cheap and fickle delight of a small mind.

only a blind worshipper would have Fed as the favorite for the Australian Open. It is Murray and Djokovic who are the clear favorites.

Fed may make the semis but upset in the quarters is more than just possible. he wont get past Djokovic or Murray in the semis.

same with the clay monster. semis is possible but so is an upset in the quarters.

I think we are all agreed here one of the top 4 seeds will win the Australian Open,Del Potro being the biggest danger to them.I keep my fingers crossed its Murray who ends up the winner,i think iv a very good chance to be right.Draw will play its part here & who gets the night matches due to the heat.