Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 278754 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2008, 08:40:39 AM »
I think the front-runners will be Nole, Murray and Federer and in that order as well. If the real Nole shows up at the AO, then there's no stopping. His game is more complete than Murray. I know Nole never defended anything before but as you said herc, there's always a first time for everything. And after the long break, he really should be up for it. It was a treat to watch him this Sunday. He was so incredibly on and his game was so smooth. I still can't get over. Davydenko looked plain and simple against Nole. I think Nole's biggest problem is, he can't stay focused for long. His mind tends to wander. Also, he lacks desire to win a lot too. That's why I worry about him a lot. Well, it all remains to be seen.

I don't necessarily see all top four players making the semis at the AO. As usual, there will be a dark horse. Hard to say who though.

Nole`s game is not "more complete" than Murray`s game. Nole is just more deadly off the ground. they are both tremendous movers.

Murray has even more variety than Fed.

Nole is more mature at this point if you have problems with the word "complete". But eventually Murray will get there too and is more than likely to win at least one slam next year.

Also, Murray beating Nole in the last two meetings isn't a reflection as to who is better. Because as I see it, the only person who can beat Nole is Nole himself. I like both Rafa and Andy very much, but if they are to play Nole, I am quite sure I can't pull any other way but for Nole and Nole only. He's simply lovely to watch. Never a dull moment .... unlike Simon.

I agree...Nole is just a delight to watch....everything he does is nice to watch...no wonder he either makes fans or enemies....either way...there's never a dull moment.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:57 AM »
So this forum has long had a Federer-Nadal feud, it has recently added a Federer-Djokovic feud, now it looks like a Djokovic-Murray feud is on the horizon.   :rofl_2:

affirmative. this is a lively board with excellent discussions. we have a lot to talk about. lets keep it going folks.

2009 is a watershed moment in the sport.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2008, 09:12:46 AM »
Djokovic i would say is better on Clay over Murray ATM,Grass Murray better than Djokovic.Now where we are talking Hardcourt its very close & i would not say 100%.For me there the to best on this surface ATM.I just wonder what we would be saying now if Murray never had that bad wrist.I sure think he would have a lot more ranking points than now.Nadal has a lot to prove in 2009 & we will see on his no1 spot.I think Nadal will lose his no1 spot in 2010 but hold it in 2009,with both Murray & Djokovic closing points in rankings.Roger could have a good run but i feel more it will be Murray & Djokovic.
Why is Murray better than Djokovic on grass, excuse me?  ..-). Djokovic reached the SF of Wimbledon in 2007 and lost to Nadal by retirement (Novak won the first set in that match, a nice accomplishment against Rafa). Murray reached the QF this year when Novak completely lost his form. Murray lost to Nadal in 3 sets, he was clueless in that match. Murray wasn't injured this year, so please don't use that excuse. Gasquet is better on grass than Murray, it's just too bad that poor Richie chocked and lost that match. Djokovic reached the final in Queens this year and lost a very tight match to Nadal.

We'll see who's better on grass next year. As much as I actually like Murray I'm tired of this "big 4" BS. We'll talk about big 4 when Murray wins a GS. MURRAY IS NOT BETTER THAN NOVAK ON GRASS. DJOKOVIC IS BETTER THAN MURRAY ON HC AND CLAY (if you don't believe me look at their points and past performances)  :rofl_2:. OK, now I feel better, sorry Sid. 

so here we go, Nadal
and Federer
and Djokovic

Murray  :rofl_2:

Djokovic does have a lot of points to defend early on in 2009 so he has to be careful he has to pocket the Australian Open and the title at Indian Wells. any slip up there will allow Murray to catch up. Murray can gain a ton of points early on.

it should be interesting. i dont believe the clay monster will allow anyone to catch him next year. maybe in 2010 but not in 2009. additionally, he can gain all the points he needs in Rome, and the last 2 tournaments--Paris and Masters Cup in London.

also Madrid Masters is on clay so that has to be his title as well. bottom line: if he does lose a few points early on, no worries. he will pick up points other places.

the real race is between the other 3: Nole, Murray, and Fed. who will be #2 and who will be #3? I think Fed will take the #4 spot in 2009.

i will make a startling prediction right now: Fed wont be so lucky on clay next year. i dont expect him to make the finals of Monte Carlo, Hamburg, and Roland Garros next year. i also believe--due to his age and generally losing a little step--that he may not get past the semis at Wimbledon.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2008, 09:17:16 AM »
here is another sub plot for 2009: who will be the top 3-5 clay court players in 2009?

here is the way i see it:

#1. Clay Monster
#2. Nole
#3. D-Pot
#4. Fed
#5. Murray

Nole may wind up in the French Open final and the final at Rome.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2008, 10:26:38 AM »
Djokovic i would say is better on Clay over Murray ATM,Grass Murray better than Djokovic.Now where we are talking Hardcourt its very close & i would not say 100%.For me there the to best on this surface ATM.I just wonder what we would be saying now if Murray never had that bad wrist.I sure think he would have a lot more ranking points than now.Nadal has a lot to prove in 2009 & we will see on his no1 spot.I think Nadal will lose his no1 spot in 2010 but hold it in 2009,with both Murray & Djokovic closing points in rankings.Roger could have a good run but i feel more it will be Murray & Djokovic.
Why is Murray better than Djokovic on grass, excuse me?  ..-). Djokovic reached the SF of Wimbledon in 2007 and lost to Nadal by retirement (Novak won the first set in that match, a nice accomplishment against Rafa). Murray reached the QF this year when Novak completely lost his form. Murray lost to Nadal in 3 sets, he was clueless in that match. Murray wasn't injured this year, so please don't use that excuse. Gasquet is better on grass than Murray, it's just too bad that poor Richie chocked and lost that match. Djokovic reached the final in Queens this year and lost a very tight match to Nadal.

We'll see who's better on grass next year. As much as I actually like Murray I'm tired of this "big 4" BS. We'll talk about big 4 when Murray wins a GS. MURRAY IS NOT BETTER THAN NOVAK ON GRASS. DJOKOVIC IS BETTER THAN MURRAY ON HC AND CLAY (if you don't believe me look at their points and past performances)  :rofl_2:. OK, now I feel better, sorry Sid. 

so here we go, Nadal
and Federer
and Djokovic

Murray  :rofl_2:

Alex you fine by me m8.Now i just think Murray has a better game then Djokovic on grass.Mark my words Murray will be hard to beat on grass in 2009.Murray should get past Djokovic in the rankings in 2009,wether he holds till the end of 2009 thats another thing.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »

i will make a startling prediction right now: Fed wont be so lucky on clay next year. i dont expect him to make the finals of Monte Carlo, Hamburg, and Roland Garros next year. i also believe--due to his age and generally losing a little step--that he may not get past the semis at Wimbledon.

Uhm... I guess Roger has been "lucky" on clay for the last 4 years or so since he CLEARLY has been the 2nd best clay court player during that time.. :whistle:  Why do you think "luck" has anything to do with it?  Can't you give the man credit for being a pretty good clay court player?  Not many people have beaten him on clay except Nadal!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »

Uhm... I guess Roger has been "lucky" on clay for the last 4 years or so since he CLEARLY has been the 2nd best clay court player during that time.. :whistle:  Why do you think "luck" has anything to do with it?  Can't you give the man credit for being a pretty good clay court player?  Not many people have beaten him on clay except Nadal!

competition is improving. its time for you to stop wishing and hoping and offer some real analysis.

can you explain his 2 losses to Simon the powerless/weak pusher for instance? both on hard courts.

or can you explain his 3 losses to Murray in a single year on hard courts?

he got very lucky last year when he didnt have to face Djokovic in the semis in Hamburg. Djokovic would have eaten his lunch.

he also got lucky wiht not having to face Djokovic in the semis at Roland Garros.

well now we have others who are improving at break neck speed. D-Pot will be a handful for Fed on clay. you saw what D-Pot did to Davydenko on dirt in Davis Cup.

do i need to go on?

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 10:58:58 AM »

competition is improving. its time for you to stop wishing and hoping and offer some real analysis.

can you explain his 2 losses to Simon the powerless/weak pusher for instance? both on hard courts.

he got very lucky last year when he didnt have to face Djokovic in the semis in Hamburg. Djokovic would have eaten his lunch.

he also got lucky wiht not having to face Djokovic in the semis at Roland Garros.

well now we have others who are improving at break neck speed. D-Pot will be a handful for Fed on clay. you saw what D-Pot did to Davydenko on dirt in Davis Cup.

do i need to go on?

Del Potro might be a big danger 2 all on Clay,i would love 2 see how he gets on V Nadal.Kind of unknown on the out come,i think that makes a great match up.

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »

do i need to go on?

Easy.  This is ONE year where Roger didn't dominate.  ONE.  Why not wait to see if (1) this will be the 'norm' or (2) this was just one of those years?  Roger didn't get off to a great start physically and ended the same way.  This was not a normal year for him.  If he does this 2-3 years in a row - then fine.  But you're throwing away all the previous years and just concentrating on this ONE year.  I'm willing to wait to see what will happen next year.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »

do i need to go on?

Easy.  This is ONE year where Roger didn't dominate.  ONE.  Why not wait to see if (1) this will be the 'norm' or (2) this was just one of those years?  Roger didn't get off to a great start physically and ended the same way.  This was not a normal year for him.  If he does this 2-3 years in a row - then fine.  But you're throwing away all the previous years and just concentrating on this ONE year.  I'm willing to wait to see what will happen next year.

you go ahead and wait while we will discuss and keep the board/forums flowing with discussion and energy. and we will continue to recruit folks from all walks of life.

everybody is welcome here. lets make the best and the most lively forum in cyberspace.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »

do i need to go on?

Del Potro might be a big danger 2 all on Clay,i would love 2 see how he gets on V Nadal.Kind of unknown on the out come,i think that makes a great match up.
Sid, you and I just can't agree on anything lately. Nadal will destroy DP like he destroys everyone else. Nadal does NOT have any competition on clay. I excepted this long time ago, you should too  :)).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 11:43:35 AM by Alex »

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

do i need to go on?

Sid, you and I just can't agree on anything lately. Nadal will destroy DP like he destroys everyone else. Nadal does NOT have any competition on clay. I excepted this long time ago, you should too  :)).

affirmative. take everything away from the clay monster including one of his legs and he will still destroy you on clay. D-Pot will step up to be the 3rd best on clay behind the Clay Monster and Djokovic but that does not mean he can stand in the way of the ultimate doomsday stroking machine on clay.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »
another bout of arrogance from Fed:

Federer won't lose sleep over Djokovic
Wednesday, 19th  November, 2008

Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.
 "I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.

Federer was in the Malaysian capital for an exhibition event which also featured world number 10 James Blake and former tennis greats John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg.

Last week Federer, complaining of injury and a stomach bug, lost to Briton Andy Murray at the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The Shanghai loss was Federer's 15th in a season when he lost his world number one ranking and Wimbledon title to Spain's Rafael Nadal, prompting speculation that he had lost his edge.

Federer, who has won 13 grand slams, told reporters that at 27 he was still confident he had "many more years" of tennis left in him.

simply brilliant rubbish. first he says that Djokovic is not going to catch him. then he says he doesnt really care about being #2 or even lower. seems to me that he has already said it a number of times. he has said that beig #2 does not sit well with him. well get used to it Fed because #3 is coming. and then #4 of course.

so what happens if Fed is upset by the quarters or the semis or worse beaten badly--like in straight sets--by none other than Djokovic at the Australian Open?

would not that amount to Fed having run his mouth recklessly? he has just offered Djokovic all the motivation he will ever need and some additional incentive.

not only is Fed just 10 points ahead of Djokovic but he could be #3 as early as the Australian Open.

its called pressure folks. watch the pressure do its thing. some cant handle it now that it is real.

here is where he said that he does not like being #2:

Of his current predicament, Federer said, "I just don't like the ring of it when I'm being introduced on the center court as the No. 2 in the world because it just sounds wrong. Either I'm No. 1 or I'm a Grand Slam champion, but not No. 2, it just sounds awkward to me because I've been up there for so, so long. It's just unfamiliar, but at the same time it is a challenge to get back up there."

i guess we now have to revise the ranking system so he is not #2 anymore. well how about #4 sound since that is coming within a year?

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:45:38 PM by hercules »

Offline sadi

• Tennis Addict
  • Poetry in motion
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »

Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.
 "I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.

Federer was in the Malaysian capital for an exhibition event which also featured world number 10 James Blake and former tennis greats John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg.

Last week Federer, complaining of injury and a stomach bug, lost to Briton Andy Murray at the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The Shanghai loss was Federer's 15th in a season when he lost his world number one ranking and Wimbledon title to Spain's Rafael Nadal, prompting speculation that he had lost his edge.

Federer, who has won 13 grand slams, told reporters that at 27 he was still confident he had "many more years" of tennis left in him.

simply brilliant rubbish. first he says that Djokovic is not going to catch him. then he says he doesnt really care about being #2 or even lower. seems to me that he has already said it a number of times. he has said that beig #2 does not sit well with him. well get used to it Fed because #3 is coming. and then #4 of course.

so what happens if Fed is upset by the quarters or the semis or worse beaten badly--like in straight sets--by none other than Djokovic at the Australian Open?

would not that amount to Fed having run his mouth recklessly? he has just offered Djokovic all the motivation he will ever need and some additional incentive.

not only is Fed just 10 points ahead of Djokovic but he could be #3 as early as the Australian Open.

its called pressure folks. watch the pressure do its thing. some cant handle it now that it is real.

Don't have anything to do just talk about how arrogant federer is,i would prefer to a be arrogant than a fake person like nadal.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

do i need to go on?

I did not expect you to agree with me,but its a match i want to see more than any other on Clay ATM.Del Potro is better than most on Clay,never playing Nadal on Clay i want to see if he could push him.I think 2009 will be a good year for Del Potro he should do better than 2008.Tsonga if he would have played all 2008 where would he be in the Rankings???? we getting close 2 a real good top 10 now,maybe one or 2 more dark horses might come in the top ten.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »

can you explain his 2 losses to Simon the powerless/weak pusher for instance? both on hard courts. :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

do i need to go on?

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:..so, and then why Simon was able to beat Rafa in Madrid..If this guy is so useless :rofl_2: :rofl_2:..Once again, give to several of these players a break: You should learn to respect more these guys...

On that side, it is always so funny: The guys who are here stressing the "arrogance" of FED' behaviour are the most arrogant posters of the universe able to judge any players on the spot based in few matches.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Can I just stress a small point: Nole in his semi at the YEC was quite lucky against Simon, in particular in the second set: If it was not for that, IMO, Simon would have ended up with the YEC title.. :whistle: :whistle:
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »

here is where he said that he does not like being #2:

Of his current predicament, Federer said, "I just don't like the ring of it when I'm being introduced on the center court as the No. 2 in the world because it just sounds wrong. Either I'm No. 1 or I'm a Grand Slam champion, but not No. 2, it just sounds awkward to me because I've been up there for so, so long. It's just unfamiliar, but at the same time it is a challenge to get back up there."

i guess we now have to revise the ranking system so he is not #2 anymore. well how about #4 sound since that is coming within a year?

And what is the problem: As he said he can accept to be N#25 GIVEN THAT this still offers to him to be a GS contender (at least to participate to it)..Man takes some red pills and go to sleep..calm down: You hate too much this guy.. :rofl_2:

There is nothing arrogant in his remarks..Already last year he said that what matters it is the N#1 spot in the ranking now he is no more there who cares..

Please answer: 1) If you do not like him (hate him): What is the purpose to read all his interviews?

2) What is your final purpose? IT IS YOUR OPINION THAT FED IS ARROGANT AND YOU HAVE PRESENTED 100000000000000 OF TIMES ALREADY:

WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE CONVICE EVERYONE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT? Give us a break!!!  :)>>>>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:00:07 PM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2008, 01:00:22 PM »

do i need to go on?

I did not expect you to agree with me,but its a match i want to see more than any other on Clay ATM.Del Potro is better than most on Clay,never playing Nadal on Clay i want to see if he could push him.I think 2009 will be a good year for Del Potro he should do better than 2008.Tsonga if he would have played all 2008 where would he be in the Rankings???? we getting close 2 a real good top 10 now,maybe one or 2 more dark horses might come in the top ten.
Didn't Murray beat DP on clay this year in Rome? I'm just not sure. He could be good on clay, but who knows? Do you think he is better than Ferrer or Almagro? He could beat Nadal on clay (if Rafa somehow breaks both of his arms and legs  :rofl_2:) I guess we'll see.

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »

can you explain his 2 losses to Simon the powerless/weak pusher for instance? both on hard courts. :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

do i need to go on?

:rofl_2: :rofl_2:..so, and then why Simon was able to beat Rafa in Madrid..If this guy is so useless :rofl_2: :rofl_2:..Once again, give to several of these players a break: You should learn to respect more these guys...

On that side, it is always so funny: The guys who are here stressing the "arrogance" of FED' behaviour are the most arrogant posters of the universe able to judge any players on the spot based in few matches.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Can I just stress a small point: Nole in his semi at the YEC was quite lucky against Simon, in particular in the second set: If it was not for that, IMO, Simon would have ended up with the YEC title.. :whistle: :whistle:

YEC lets face it Djokovic had the easy side,just how the draw goes.Djokovic Roger & Murray the one who missed 2 of the others were more likey to win here.This takes nothing away from Djokovic win.Simon has beat Nadal in 2008,he not beat Murray 3 times this year,think on that guys.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »

do i need to go on?

well we know for a fact that the clay monster has a limited game and hard courts are his worst surfaces. that said, he is still better on hard courts than Fed and some of the other will ever be on clay. unless you have forgotten, in 2008 alone, clay monster has at least 2 titles on grass, at least 2 titles on hard courts (brutal field and not like the one Fed faced on clay in Estoril), and several on clay.

so the bottom line is that the clay monster is expected to look bad on hard courts and he does from time to time. in that match you refer to, he had 55 unforced errors. he has never ever had that many unforced errors in any match. not even in any 3 matches put together. clearly his knees were bothering him a lot and he could not really push well off his right knee. in short, he was playing on his worst surface and with great deal of pain.

but this is not about Nadal so stop trying to change the subject.

just explain why a 3rd rate pusher like Simon can beat a 13 time grand slam champion who happens to be one of the best in history 2 times in a row on hard courts.

why? its called pressure. Fed knew he was under the gun and he could not do it. Fed has also lost a little step. that one hander is not as reliable as it used to be so he has to press more.

almost nobody on the planet who is informed about tennis expects Fed to dominate and win many slams in 2009 and take over the #1 ranking in the process. that is just madness.

nadal is a moron and at the rate he is going, he will have another year then he will have to pay a very steep price for not changing his ways. that said, even an injured and hurting Nadal is good for 2 more slams in 2009. he will take Roland Garros and Wimbledon. his knees hurt a little less on natural surfaces and he moves much more freely on those surfaces.

clay season gets his ground game in tune and he carries all that momentum and confidence straight to grass. that might explain why he has made 3 straight finals at Wimy. he threw in Queens for good measure this year.

the other 2 slams are questionable. i dont think Fed--staring at 29 in 2009--will be able to find a way to win any more slams. it is going to be awefully tough. the field is rapidly improving and they have sufficient belief that Fed can be beat if you just stand up and fight.

and if he does manage to win one more, it will be that much sweeter for the Fed fans. i dont see is happening. we will know soon enough how it is going to go in 2009. Australian Open is coming up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:06:35 PM by hercules »