Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 297004 times)

Offline sadi

• Tennis Addict
  • Poetry in motion
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »
another bout of arrogance from Fed:

Federer won't lose sleep over Djokovic
Wednesday, 19th  November, 2008

Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.
 "I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.

Federer was in the Malaysian capital for an exhibition event which also featured world number 10 James Blake and former tennis greats John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg.

Last week Federer, complaining of injury and a stomach bug, lost to Briton Andy Murray at the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The Shanghai loss was Federer's 15th in a season when he lost his world number one ranking and Wimbledon title to Spain's Rafael Nadal, prompting speculation that he had lost his edge.

Federer, who has won 13 grand slams, told reporters that at 27 he was still confident he had "many more years" of tennis left in him.

simply brilliant rubbish. first he says that Djokovic is not going to catch him. then he says he doesnt really care about being #2 or even lower. seems to me that he has already said it a number of times. he has said that beig #2 does not sit well with him. well get used to it Fed because #3 is coming. and then #4 of course.

so what happens if Fed is upset by the quarters or the semis or worse beaten badly--like in straight sets--by none other than Djokovic at the Australian Open?

would not that amount to Fed having run his mouth recklessly? he has just offered Djokovic all the motivation he will ever need and some additional incentive.

not only is Fed just 10 points ahead of Djokovic but he could be #3 as early as the Australian Open.

its called pressure folks. watch the pressure do its thing. some cant handle it now that it is real.

here is where he said that he does not like being #2:

Of his current predicament, Federer said, "I just don't like the ring of it when I'm being introduced on the center court as the No. 2 in the world because it just sounds wrong. Either I'm No. 1 or I'm a Grand Slam champion, but not No. 2, it just sounds awkward to me because I've been up there for so, so long. It's just unfamiliar, but at the same time it is a challenge to get back up there."

i guess we now have to revise the ranking system so he is not #2 anymore. well how about #4 sound since that is coming within a year?

And what is the problem: As he said he can accept to be N#25 GIVEN THAT this still offers to him to be a GS contender (at least to participate to it)..Man takes some red pills and go to sleep..calm down: You hate too much this guy.. :rofl_2:

There is nothing arrogant in his remarks..Already last year he said that what matters it is the N#1 spot in the ranking now he is no more there who cares..

Please answer: 1) If you do not like him (hate him): What is the purpose to read all his interviews?

2) What is your final purpose? IT IS YOUR OPINION THAT FED IS ARROGANT AND YOU HAVE PRESENTED 100000000000000 OF TIMES ALREADY:

WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE CONVICE EVERYONE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT? Give us a break!!!  :)>>>>

You rock mann !

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »
Murray Muscles His Way Into ATP Elite

From on-court training to lung-bursting sprints, gym and yoga studio work, Andy Murray has worked tirelessly with his dedicated team over the past 12 months to transform himself from tour danger man to a genuine contender at Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai.

We were three-sevenths of the way through what was to be the defining championship of his career thus far and everyone's head was spinning, even his own. Andy Murray had beaten Jurgen Melzer of Austria in five exhilarating sets in the US Open, having been within two points of a defeat that would have rendered so much of his back-breaking effort of the previous nine months more than a touch wasteful.

Perhaps as he stepped up to serve, at 5-5 in the third set tie-break on the Grandstand court at Flushing Meadows, trailing by two sets to love, what flashed through Murray's mind were those 400-metre interval sessions (75 seconds on the track, 75 seconds recovery time), all that core work, the Bikram yoga sessions when he put his body through hellishly punishing twists, tweaks and bends inside the exercise equivalent of a kiln. With a gutteral roar, he unleashed a 138 mph serve. Melzer was rocked back on his heels; the match had turned. Murray would go on to win in the fifth.

At match's end, he flashed his right bicep, something he had done at Wimbledon after his fourth-round victory over the Frenchman Richard Gasquet, the most momentous recovery from two sets down he had achieved before his triumph over Melzer. It was meant as a gesture not to torment the already tormented (i.e. his vanquished opponent) but to show to the team he had assembled to take care of his physical welfare that he had done all they had demanded of him, and more.

Andy Murray reflects on an amazing year.

If he thought about it and know Murray he probably has it was also a retort to those who had shouted from the sidelines in the three years of his establishment as a professional, that he was in no physical condition to be a contender. A lot of what was said really hurt him but he recalls that it was Jean-Pierre Bruyere, a French chiropractor with whom he worked for more than a year, who offered some Voltaire-esque advice: "Don't let anyone mess with you. Take care of yourself. I don't want anyone to stop you by pushing you too hard when you're young. It's your body and your life. If you're hurt, regardless of what anyone says, don't play."

When Murray was being coached by Brad Gilbert, he was introduced to Michael Johnson, the Olympic gold medal sprinter and Mark Grabow, a fitness guru who had worked for the Golden State Warriors, a famed basketball team from California. The player delighted in such influences, each designed to push him that little bit harder to strengthen him so that various elements of his game, notably his serve, would become more potent. Murray did nothing that was being asked of him, without asking why it was being done. Satisfied, he would take it on.

The Scot was still growing and he was filling out, at the same time. Then, in Hamburg in May 2007, his right wrist gave out in one terribly explosive moment. It was a horrible event and one which, when he looks back, was a catharsis. "Maybe it would still have happened if I'd gathered a different team around me sooner," Murray recalls. "The risk is always there but perhaps it could have been reduced." And so, as Murray wondered who might coach him from November 2007 onwards, the decision was taken to employ a strong core of people who would enhance his physical well-being. He said: "Having finished that season so strongly (had Murray beaten Gasquet in the quarterfinal of the BNP Paribas Masters in Bercy, he would have qualified for the Masters Cup), I wanted to come back in even better form. There was no torture I wouldn't consider, including track work for the first time in my life."

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2008, 01:18:22 PM »

Roger Federer has said he is not that bothered about Serbia's Novak Djokovic closing in on his ranking as world number two.
 "I'm going to sleep well for a month. He (Djokovic) is not going to pass me anytime soon," Federer said.
"For me, honestly, ranking two, three, four, five, 25, it doesn't really matter a whole lot, you know. For me it is either number one or being in the main draw," added the Swiss.

Djokovic, who won the Masters Cup in Shanghai on Monday, is just 10 points shy of Federer in the world rankings.

Federer was in the Malaysian capital for an exhibition event which also featured world number 10 James Blake and former tennis greats John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg.

Last week Federer, complaining of injury and a stomach bug, lost to Briton Andy Murray at the Masters Cup in Shanghai.

The Shanghai loss was Federer's 15th in a season when he lost his world number one ranking and Wimbledon title to Spain's Rafael Nadal, prompting speculation that he had lost his edge.

Federer, who has won 13 grand slams, told reporters that at 27 he was still confident he had "many more years" of tennis left in him.

simply brilliant rubbish. first he says that Djokovic is not going to catch him. then he says he doesnt really care about being #2 or even lower. seems to me that he has already said it a number of times. he has said that beig #2 does not sit well with him. well get used to it Fed because #3 is coming. and then #4 of course.

so what happens if Fed is upset by the quarters or the semis or worse beaten badly--like in straight sets--by none other than Djokovic at the Australian Open?

would not that amount to Fed having run his mouth recklessly? he has just offered Djokovic all the motivation he will ever need and some additional incentive.

not only is Fed just 10 points ahead of Djokovic but he could be #3 as early as the Australian Open.

its called pressure folks. watch the pressure do its thing. some cant handle it now that it is real.

Of his current predicament, Federer said, "I just don't like the ring of it when I'm being introduced on the center court as the No. 2 in the world because it just sounds wrong. Either I'm No. 1 or I'm a Grand Slam champion, but not No. 2, it just sounds awkward to me because I've been up there for so, so long. It's just unfamiliar, but at the same time it is a challenge to get back up there."

i guess we now have to revise the ranking system so he is not #2 anymore. well how about #4 sound since that is coming within a year?

And what is the problem: As he said he can accept to be N#25 GIVEN THAT this still offers to him to be a GS contender (at least to participate to it)..Man takes some red pills and go to sleep..calm down: You hate too much this guy.. :rofl_2:

There is nothing arrogant in his remarks..Already last year he said that what matters it is the N#1 spot in the ranking now he is no more there who cares..

Please answer: 1) If you do not like him (hate him): What is the purpose to read all his interviews?

2) What is your final purpose? IT IS YOUR OPINION THAT FED IS ARROGANT AND YOU HAVE PRESENTED 100000000000000 OF TIMES ALREADY:

WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE CONVICE EVERYONE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT? Give us a break!!!  :)>>>>

Fed is a very gifted athlete. one of the finest ever the sport has produced. i am just discussing things. hate has nothing to do it with it really. i have to call it like i see it. you can do the same. no problem here.

i probably hate Nadal more than i hate some of the others. i hate him for not taking care of himself and taking his fitness a little higher.

i also hate him for not getting some help with volleys and the slice. i hate him for his ridiculous scheduling. i also hate him for not maximizing match play and practice on soft clay and minimize exposure to hard courts as much as possible.

i beleive that he doesnt really work on his return like the way, say, Lendl and Muster used to. Lendl would hire young Sampras to come over to his home and have him hit serves all day long so he could really work on his return.

Nadal did make some improvements like in positioning on quicker courts but he could have already been doing so much more which would have made the game so much easier for him. as it stands now, he still has to give all he has got to win his matches for the most part and it leaves him spent and vulnerable to fatigue and resulting injuries.

in any case, its not really about hate. its all about just discussing tennis and having fun. i see things one way and others see them another way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:21:30 PM by hercules »

Offline sadi

• Tennis Addict
  • Poetry in motion
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2008, 01:27:17 PM »

he is a very gifted athlete. one of the finest ever the sport has produced. i am just discussing things. hate has nothing to do it with it really. i have to call it like i see it. you can do the same. no problem here.

i probably hate Nadal more than i hate some of the others. i hate him for not taking care of himself and taking his fitness a little higher.

i also hate him for not getting some help with volleys and the slice. i hate him for his ridiculous scheduling. i also hate him for not maximizing match play and practice on soft clay and minimize exposure to hard courts as much as possible.

i beleive that he doesnt really work on his return like the way, say, Lendl and Muster used to. Lendl would hire young Sampras to come over to his home and have him hit serves all day long so he could really work on his return.

Nadal did make some improvements like in positioning on quicker courts but he could have already been doing so much more which would have made the game so much easier for him. as it stands now, he still has to give all he has got to win his matches for the most part and it leaves him spent and vulnerable to fatigue and resulting injuries.

in any case, its not really about hate. its all about just discussing tennis and having fun. i see things one way and others see them another way.

Look man when you talk about Federer you don't talk about tennis you talk about his arrogance or his off court behaviour.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
lets get back on topic. so who are the real favorites for this first slam of 2009 and why?

also is there a dark horse?

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2008, 05:02:56 PM »
lets get back on topic. so who are the real favorites for this first slam of 2009 and why?

Fed has to be a favorite to make the finals, he's the only player to do that in the last 3 Grand Slams.

The question is now who will he face? Probably Djokovic or Murray and that is undecided as far as I can see. Both have powerful games. And the winner will be who's the best that day, it's really close.

Dark horse is Petro or Cilic with Petro having the edge after having the nerve to hold together a long win streak and the experience of maintaining that streak.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2008, 05:07:48 PM »

Fed has to be a favorite to make the finals, he's the only player to do that in the last 3 Grand Slams.

The question is now who will he face? Probably Djokovic or Murray and that is undecided as far as I can see. Both have powerful games. And the winner will be who's the best that day, it's really close.

Dark horse is Petro or Cilic with Petro having the edge after having the nerve to hold together a long win streak and the experience of maintaining that streak.

And this came in his "off" year.... :whistle:  What an off year to have! :))

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
I see an exit for Federer in the semi. I am serious. You may quote me later.  :)~

Anyway, did anyone see my Nole this Sunday? I repeat anyone? My baby was on fire. Did anyone see that lob? Or those passing shots? Oh! He killed me with his game. And he looked awfully, awfully cute after the match when he held up the trophy and smiled. The only problem I was having was getting past that hideous outfit. Honestly, what made him wear that is beyond me. My eyes still hurt.

So if the real Nole shows up at the AO then nobody stands a chance. And the time difference works just fine for me so woo-hoo!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:57:37 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
I see an exit for Federer in the semi. I am serious. You may quote me later.  :)~

Anyway, did anyone see my Nole this Sunday? I repeat anyone? My baby was on fire. Did anyone see that lob? Or those passing shots? Oh! He killed me with his game. And he looked awfully, awfully cute after the match when held up he the trophy and smiled. The only problem I was having was getting past that hideous outfit. Honestly, what made him wear that is beyond. My eyes still hurt.

So if the real Nole shows up at the AO then nobody stands a chance. And the time difference works just fine for me so woo-hoo!

Why would you see it that way? He also won the last HC slam, he has to be the favorite.  :)

You're right about Nole, if he's on his game he is a terror and can challenge anyone.
The same with any of the top 4.

When Fed played the final at the USO it was the highest level on hards this year by any player that I saw, that's why I have a lot of faith in Fed, his highest level on hards is higher than anyone else still IMO.

Just hoping the players are in top form.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »

Anyway, did anyone see my Nole this Sunday? I repeat anyone? My baby was on fire. Did anyone see that lob? Or those passing shots? Oh! He killed me with his game. And he looked awfully, awfully cute after the match when held up he the trophy and smiled. The only problem I was having was getting past that hideous outfit. Honestly, what made him wear that is beyond. My eyes still hurt.

Why would you see it that way? He also won the last HC slam, he has to be the favorite.  :)

You're right about Nole, if he's on his game he is a terror and can challenge anyone.

When Fed played the final at the USO it was the highest level on hards this year by any player that I saw, that's why I have a lot of faith in Fed, his highest level on hards is higher than anyone else still IMO.

He is one of the favourites not the only favourite. And no, it's not same with the top 4. I don't see Nadal doing anything special. I also didn't see Federer playing highest level of tennis on hards. I do hope though that everyone will be healthy regardless.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »

He is one of the favourites not the only favourite. And no, it's not same with the top 4. I don't see Nadal doing anything special. I also didn't see Federer playing highest level of tennis on hards. I do hope though that everyone will be healthy regardless.

i have to agree about the deal with the clay monster. i believe it will be tough for him early on this year but the clay season will get him going again. he will know he has to win and take some momentum, form, and confidence into Roland Garros.

knees have gotten a lot worse so naturally i am worried.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2008, 07:19:48 PM »
Let's hope Rafa comes back healthy and stays healthy all the way to clay season and then, he should be on a roll.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2008, 07:22:11 PM »
Let's hope Rafa comes back healthy and stays healthy all the way to clay season and then, he should be on a roll.
affirmative. he just needs to sort of ease into the clay season. speding some time on the clay in south america would help his cause.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »
I think that is one area we all can agree on, the players being healthy and in good form.

We all got our favs and predictions, I wouldn't have it any other way.  :cool:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
affirmative. he just needs to sort of ease into the clay season. speding some time on the clay in south america would help his cause.

So what do you guys do during the off season tenniswise I mean? Am alreayd super bored.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »

Ema, I like your style  :rofl_2:. You should post in the Nole thread sometimes if you are his fan (yey, Nole has 2 fans here now  :))).

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2008, 07:40:05 PM »

Ema, I like your style  :rofl_2:. You should post in the Nole thread sometimes if you are his fan (yey, Nole has 2 fans here now  :))).

Look Alex, Nole may have 2 fans but know that these 2 fans are the real deal here. Who are Nadal fans anyway? Or Murray fans for that matter? Forget about Federer fans. I don't know even know if they exist. LOL. I love being full of myself...something my arch nemesis loves about me as well.  :)~ Anyway, where is that precious Nole thread? I have no clue. I don't browse much. I like nesting here as all the actions are happening here, would you not say?  :))
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:56:55 PM by Emma »

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »

Look Alex, Nole may have 2 fans but know that these 2 fans are the real deal here. Who are Nadal fans anyway? Or Murray fans for that matter? Forget about Federer fans. I don't know even know if they exist. LOL. I love being full of myself...something my arch nemesis love about me as well.  :)~ Anyway, where is that precious Nole thread? I have no clue. I don't browse much. I like nesting here as all the actions are happening here, would you not say?  :))

Here is the link for you
http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=8660.1580
I post there his pictures, interviews etc.  :). There are 80 pages dedicated to Novak in that thread

If it's easier to navigate do this: Click on
Tennis4you Forums > Tennis Discussions > Pro Player Tributes>NOLE,NOLE,NOLE
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:50:24 PM by Alex »

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »

Look Alex, Nole may have 2 fans but know that these 2 fans are the real deal here. Who are Nadal fans anyway? Or Murray fans for that matter? Forget about Federer fans. I don't know even know if they exist. LOL. I love being full of myself...something my arch nemesis love about me as well.  :)~ Anyway, where is that precious Nole thread? I have no clue. I don't browse much. I like nesting here as all the actions are happening here, would you not say?  :))

Here is the link for you
http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=8660.1580
I post there his pictures, interviews etc.  :). There are 80 pages dedicated to Novak in that thread

If it's easier to navigate do this: Click on
Tennis4you Forums > Tennis Discussions > Pro Player Tributes>NOLE,NOLE,NOLE

Nole, Nole, Nole...lol. Who came up with that name? I would rather say Nole...you doofus. It suits him.  :)

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »

So what do you guys do during the off season tenniswise I mean? Am alreayd super bored.

ATM play chess Emma :rofl_2: