Author Topic: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1  (Read 292620 times)

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2009 Australian Open: Jan. 19 - Feb. 1
« Reply #6320 on: February 05, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »
@hercs

let's leave it for now, bro........they won't get it........like you said, we are defending ourselves here, not attacking and i said the same thing way back in 2008 when a few posters were here only to attack me.........see, we are not even touching that interview of fed after the AO final........how much time does it take for me to slam every para of that interview which reflects his level of sportsmanship? i was attacked and ridiculed some 20 times minimum, the day rafa finished his match against verdasco, all for just criticizing our player rafa, not their player.........

Which would be just another case of you defending yourself, rather than attacking Fed's character, right?

attack is the best form of defense, in some cases..........by doing so(pointing out fed's character), i would just be counteracting to some of those meaningless bashes directed at me and my player here..........it's all defending, isn't it?

Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #6321 on: February 05, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
@hercs

let's leave it for now, bro........they won't get it........like you said, we are defending ourselves here, not attacking and i said the same thing way back in 2008 when a few posters were here only to attack me.........see, we are not even touching that interview of fed after the AO final........how much time does it take for me to slam every para of that interview which reflects his level of sportsmanship? i was attacked and ridiculed some 20 times minimum, the day rafa finished his match against verdasco, all for just criticizing our player rafa, not their player.........

Which would be just another case of you defending yourself, rather than attacking Fed's character, right?

this is an opinion board. not a communist state. if that is one person`s opinion then accept it. you may ask him to elaborate or provide further evidence. no need to cry and weep and bicker about it. cheap accusations are just that, cheap. this is a civil forum. how about we keep that in mind.

just ask that person to further clarify and elaborate as to exactly why he feels that way or sees it that way.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6322 on: February 05, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
What does my pattern suggest?  That I only post when Fed is winning?  Go back and read some of the history of the website.  Buckeye and I used to go toe to toe on numerous issues.  I was an outspoken defender of Canas when he came back from his drug suspension, scouring the web to find info and coming to the conclusion that his case was pretty controversial.  I agreed with Kittens way back when that Fed had potential issues with his mental strength.  Of course, that was long ago, but part of the reason I haven't been around much lately is precisely as I laid it out to Buckeye - wading through the crap is painful.  In my specific case, it drives me crazy when certain posters take Fed's quotes out of context and/or make quotes up and attribute them to him, then use that as a basis for attacking his character.  Happens all the time.  I'm not trying to bash Alison here, but she's done it since time immemorial.  I have to laugh at Herc saying he must "defend" himself from the Federeesians, because it's his countless and usually baseless attacks on Fed's character that start most of the stuff.  Just last week, in the act of defending himself no doubt, he made the bold claim that Fed was "running scared" because Fed said he'd rather play Verdasco in the final.  Then after a couple days of silence, he's back telling us that Fed is an "arrogant, selfish baby" for crying in the post-final awards ceremony.  Earlier last week I waded into the Rafa tribute thread because he and Shank butchered a different quote from Fed, and were claiming that Fed was already calling himself the greatest player of the open era.

Trust me, I think there are plenty of valid criticisms to be thrown at Fed.  But the twisted and made-up BS that gets posted on here, by posters claiming to be "interested only in the truth", is beyond ridiculous.  So shoot me if I can't just ignore that crap, but as I said, it drives me crazy.  It's just plain wrong to do that.  If that's my hidden agenda or whatever, then so be it.  But it does make it difficult for me to post on tennis issues, and takes up alot of time to boot. 

When I said that I wanted this place to get back to being a happy, fun place, I was serious - but I think these baseless character attacks on players has no room in such a place.

Freebird, you said part of the reason why you aren't here as much because you don't like what you read but keep it in mind, not the whole reason. And that was my whole point. I am sure you used to be here a lot but things change over time. I now post 15 posts a day as yellowball counted for me not so long ago. But I am sure that will not be the case in the future. I have other interests in life and soon this addiction will wear off, I will get busy with something else. I will probably still post once in a while if I see one of my old faves is doing really well or if there's a very interesting match-up that does not involve my old fave. But I am sure I will not blame it or even mention it, that part of the reason why I am not here is because, I am at odds with some people because they make things difficult for me. Simply because it's not the whole truth and it's certainly not the reason why I am not here all the time. So when you or anyone whoever says things like that, it bugs me. If that was the whole truth you wouldn't be here under any circumstances, I can tell you that.

Anyway, I don't think you should take some of the comments seriously. It only tends to go back and forth and never really solves any of the  problems and it never will. On top of that, it goes on forever. I hate both. "Running scared" is a bit of an extreme choice of words I agree and is bound to make Fed fans react, one can't possibly deny that. I also agree it's not the best time to say things like that even though there's some truth in it. Federer definitely didn't want to play Nadal, no doubt about that. But the situation is so dynamic right now. A lot of tension in the air and for the right reasons, as things really took an interesting turn after the AO. This forum is still doing far better than the two other forums that I frequent only. There, the whole forum has devided into two groups of fans and it's really ugly as wrong assumptions are being made all the time. This forum will go into the same direction if we also take things too seriously. I like you. You are a very good poster, very easy to get along and same goes for herc. Mind you, herc never has anything good to say about Pete. He at least pays a lot more respect to Fed than Pete. He absolutely hates Pete and he made it very clear, yet both Shankar and I, the two most genuine Pete fans here, are his great buddies. That should tell you something. I did flip one time at herc's harsh comments at Pete, but then I decided not to be too bothered with it. I figured I could live with it. I didn't have to but I decided to. So that's your choice. For me, this is still a fun and happy place.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:09:28 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6323 on: February 05, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
emma darling you are one of my favorite women. just too cool as always.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6324 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

I live in Canada. I have to be ice-cool. I have a reputation to live up to. :)~

And thanks, I am flattered.  :)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6325 on: February 05, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

i have family in Montreal as well as Toronto. In fact, I just talked to somebody there. She said it was like -22 there.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6326 on: February 05, 2009, 09:23:59 PM »

i have family in Montreal as well as Toronto. In fact, I just talked to somebody there. She said it was like -22 there.

Montreal is a bit colder than Toronto I would say. But still, this moring, around 7am in the moring, it was -20. Then it warmed up a bit and was -9 at some point. But now it's gone down to -11. Good news is, it's going to be +6 this Saturday - very unusal weather for February but we'll take it. I will be out all day no doubt.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #6327 on: February 06, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »

:coffee:
Weather reports from Australia say that it will be even hotter in Melbourne this weekend than last.
  :PHEW:) :PHEW:) :PHEW:) :PHEW:)
People are being advised to stay inside.
Players, please note: it could have been worse!  :scared:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6328 on: February 06, 2009, 09:43:22 AM »

its you who attacked and insulted. i think you threw in Shanker`s name in there for good measure as well. go back and read your post again.

you attacked and insulted and lied. i am merely defending. try selling your bs to a fellow Federereeeeeesian. it doesnt fly with me.

Prove it.  Quote it.  Should be simple.

:rofl_2: :lmao!: 

Scooty, we need to add this    vvvvvvvv
http://gi53.photobucket.com/groups/g77/662TBKD1OM/thpopcorn.gif
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6329 on: February 06, 2009, 10:55:43 AM »
I don't have time to go back and read all the posts since the AO ended, but in case there haven't been any comments about Mirka, I would just like to say that watching her during the trophy presentation was fascinating in a sad sort of way.  She never moved, as far as I could tell.  She kept her hand over her mouth and her eyes fixed on Roger the whole time.  It looked to me as if she and he both needed some other people to lean on...........parents, coaches. siblings, somebody.  Tony Godsick seemed to be the only person in the box with Mirka who really knows her and Roger, and I'm sure he had no idea what to do.

I wonder what Roger did later that night and the next day....who he talked to....who perhaps tried to help him get some perspective.  It's nice that he and Mirka have been together for so long, but when you're with one person day and night, week in and week out for years, I doubt if there's anything new that person can say that really helps.  Do they ever vacation separately or "go home" to be with family and friends?  Not that I've ever heard of.  An "outside" person with a more objective view of things can often be the catalyst that gets a hurting person over whatever emotional hump he finds himself faced with.  Mirka can only do so much.  Roger needs a coach who can be a confidant even if he can't coach worth a lick!  Or better yet, Mirka and Roger should get married, have a child and have something in their lives besides tennis and each other.

He seemed so alone on that stage, and Mirka seemed so alone in the box.  It was like the end of a movie when the scene fades and the credits come on.

I guess people will think of Jana Novotna crying on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder after she blew her chance to win Wimbledon.  She came back and won it a few years later, if memory serves me correctly. 

I wish Roger all the best.  I hope he plays up to his potential for several more years, and I hope he and Rafa continue to respect each other and bring out the best in each other's games.  They have such totally contrasting styles that the rivalry is riveting for that reason alone.  The fact that they both have a sweet side in spite of being fiercely competitive makes it all the more fascinating to me. 

Rafa is not invincible.  His body has already shown signs of wear and tear.  His knees could betray him, he could fall in love and get distracted........anything could happen.  On the other hand, he could stay healthy, continue to improve, never lose to Roger again and end up being the one to break Pete's record.  Either way, they have given us tennis at an unbelievably high level on the grandest stages, and we can be thankful for that.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #6330 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:11 AM »
I didn't take much note of Mirka during the ceremony.  I do remember during the match, thinking that she looked extremely concerned even when Fed was ahead.

Who knows if this defeat will be enough to drive Roger to seek additional coaching?

It shall be interesting to see how the remainder of the season goes for all the players. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #6331 on: February 06, 2009, 11:02:44 AM »
I don't have time to go back and read all the posts since the AO ended, but in case there haven't been any comments about Mirka, I would just like to say that watching her during the trophy presentation was fascinating in a sad sort of way.  She never moved, as far as I could tell.  She kept her hand over her mouth and her eyes fixed on Roger the whole time.  It looked to me as if she and he both needed some other people to lean on...........parents, coaches. siblings, somebody.  Tony Godsick seemed to be the only person in the box with Mirka who really knows her and Roger, and I'm sure he had no idea what to do.

I wonder what Roger did later that night and the next day....who he talked to....who perhaps tried to help him get some perspective.  It's nice that he and Mirka have been together for so long, but when you're with one person day and night, week in and week out for years, I doubt if there's anything new that person can say that really helps.  Do they ever vacation separately or "go home" to be with family and friends?  Not that I've ever heard of.  An "outside" person with a more objective view of things can often be the catalyst that gets a hurting person over whatever emotional hump he finds himself faced with.  Mirka can only do so much.  Roger needs a coach who can be a confidant even if he can't coach worth a lick!  Or better yet, Mirka and Roger should get married, have a child and have something in their lives besides tennis and each other.

He seemed so alone on that stage, and Mirka seemed so alone in the box.  It was like the end of a movie when the scene fades and the credits come on.

I guess people will think of Jana Novotna crying on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder after she blew her chance to win Wimbledon.  She came back and won it a few years later, if memory serves me correctly. 

I wish Roger all the best.  I hope he plays up to his potential for several more years, and I hope he and Rafa continue to respect each other and bring out the best in each other's games.  They have such totally contrasting styles that the rivalry is riveting for that reason alone.  The fact that they both have a sweet side in spite of being fiercely competitive makes it all the more fascinating to me. 

Rafa is not invincible.  His body has already shown signs of wear and tear.  His knees could betray him, he could fall in love and get distracted........anything could happen.  On the other hand, he could stay healthy, continue to improve, never lose to Roger again and end up being the one to break Pete's record.  Either way, they have given us tennis at an unbelievably high level on the grandest stages, and we can be thankful for that.

Great post: Spot on  :// ://..Hope you will post more often in the future.. :cool: :cool:..Indeed, we have a rare gift here: Two (all time) great champions playing together (only, negative poit, the 5 years of difference IMO)... :)) ..-)
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #6332 on: February 06, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »
Hi lizbeth, Mirka was mentioned one (by Emma IIRC) who described her as something like "horrified" (I'm not certain if that's the exact word she used, but it's close). I thought the same as Emma: she seemed frozen--not teary eyed--disengaged from what was going on, in utter disbelief of what was unfolding before her eyes.

No one objected or disagreed with Emma, and the discussion went forward.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6333 on: February 06, 2009, 11:15:17 AM »
Thanks, TV.  I don't watch the Grand Slams live, so I am constantly two days behind with my tapes.  I have to stay off the board during the tournaments because I don't want to see any results.  I like to put in my two cents' worth later if I have time :-)  A bit frustrating, but that's the only way I can do it.  It's crazy trying to avoid TV, computer, newspaper, radio and people talking, but I can usually pull it off.  I start all telephone conversations with, "Don't say anything about tennis!"
I hope you will post more often too!

Offline lizbeth

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #6334 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:33 AM »
Thanks Babble.  This board is the best thing that ever happened to a tennis fan.  Ask a question and somebody out there usually comes up with an answer!

I agree with Emma that Mirka looked almost paralyzed.  Whether it was compassion, shock or whatever, we don't know, but the image of her face will stay with me for a long time.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #6335 on: February 06, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

:coffee:
Weather reports from Australia say that it will be even hotter in Melbourne this weekend than last.
  :PHEW:) :PHEW:) :PHEW:) :PHEW:)
People are being advised to stay inside.
Players, please note: it could have been worse!  :scared:

Yeah they could have been playing in the ice and snow up here.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #6336 on: February 06, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »
Thanks Babble.  This board is the best thing that ever happened to a tennis fan.  Ask a question and somebody out there usually comes up with an answer!

I agree with Emma that Mirka looked almost paralyzed.  Whether it was compassion, shock or whatever, we don't know, but the image of her face will stay with me for a long time.

its sports and its just a little instance of agony of defeat. happens all the time in sports with the loved ones watching just a few feet away.