Author Topic: Another Racquet Question  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Fox

• Tennis Player
Another Racquet Question
« on: July 18, 2008, 06:22:57 AM »
Hi

here is another Racket Question

I have played tennis before and love the game  :)~

i am getting back into it  :lmao:

At the moment i am using a cheap racket to get use to the bounce and practise etc...

However i feel it is time to up grade and get use to that Raquel before my first completive come back game in 6 weeks time :king:

So my question is does any one have any personal favorates or recommendations :confused1:

All a question to us English does any one know were i can Demo a racket in Manchester or Brum???

PS i mostly play on Hard Courts    :))

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: Another Racquet Question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 08:05:49 AM »
Your journal says you are a level 3.  Is that in relationship to the NTRP or another rating program?

Overall unless you are using a wooden racquet or something really old, what you have is probably fine for now.  It never hurts to upgrade, but it will not make any sudden leaps and bounds in your game.

As far as demoing a racquet over there, I have no clue, hopefully someone else can help in that department.   :)
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 09:10:22 AM »
If you are at all serious about playing, you should get a decent racquet.  Those really cheap racquets that are sold at "discount stores" will provide much less power and control than a good pro racquet.  If you have the money, a good racquet is a wise choice...

I like the Wilson N-Pro Open, but everyone has different preferences.  You should always demo a racquet before buying....
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 09:11:52 AM by jeffrx »
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Murrayfan11

• Tennis God
  • Historically, still the best team in England! >>
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
If you get a pro racket, I'd always advise a Babolat, I love the things. I currently use one that weighs 285 grams, with some nice features, but can't remember the name something like a Z Tour? Anyway, we need to know your budget if we can help advising you on rackets.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 11:48:10 AM »
If you are at all serious about playing, you should get a decent racquet.  Those really cheap racquets that are sold at "discount stores" will provide much less power and control than a good pro racquet.  If you have the money, a good racquet is a wise choice...

I like the Wilson N-Pro Open, but everyone has different preferences.  You should always demo a racquet before buying....

Of course that racquet is rated for 4.0+ players.  Doesn't mean a beginner could not use it though.
Scott Baker

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:22:48 PM »

Of course that racquet is rated for 4.0+ players.  Doesn't mean a beginner could not use it though.

True.  It's tough to compare what a player with alot of experience feels when using a racquet to what a beginner feels.  We may notice huge differences, while they may not notice any change. 

Based on what I felt when using my uncle's 15 dollar Wal-Mart special, nobody should be playing with them!  If you know anyone who has one of these things, seriously, try it sometime just for kicks and you will be amazed how bad it can be when you use a cheaply made racquet.  I think I felt the thing bending every time I hit the ball!  I know there are stiff and flexible racquets, but this thing was like rubber. 

A good racquet won't make you a good player, but it will help you get there. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »

True.  It's tough to compare what a player with alot of experience feels when using a racquet to what a beginner feels.  We may notice huge differences, while they may not notice any change. 

Based on what I felt when using my uncle's 15 dollar Wal-Mart special, nobody should be playing with them!  If you know anyone who has one of these things, seriously, try it sometime just for kicks and you will be amazed how bad it can be when you use a cheaply made racquet.  I think I felt the thing bending every time I hit the ball!  I know there are stiff and flexible racquets, but this thing was like rubber. 

lol, I remember that feeling of the racquet feeling like it was going to break in half every time you lit up a ball.  :)
Scott Baker

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 05:22:42 PM »

The thing is, if you haven't really defined a playing style it's really not a good idea to spend $100 or more on a frame that, in the end, may not suit your style. I've always advocated developing at least an idea of how you will approach playing tennis before beginning a search for the perfect racquet.
If you've got money to burn, that's a different story. ;-()

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Fox

• Tennis Player
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:07 AM »
Well i am looking for a second hand racket as every time i do hit a the ball it feels like a piece of the racket has fallen off  :Confused:

So i am looking for a second hand one just for the beginning to find my style and way of play  :)>>>>

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 09:06:46 AM »
Well i am looking for a second hand racket as every time i do hit a the ball it feels like a piece of the racket has fallen off   :Confused:

So i am looking for a second hand one just for the beginning to find my style and way of play  :)>>>>

Then, I definitely feel that a replacement is order.  ;-()
I'm sure there are solid used racquets available to choose from. Whatever you do, don't go for gimmicks. Don't fall for the flex point technology. Don't fall for the variations of vibration dampners in the throat, or the different versions of hi modulus graphite and composite materials the manufacturers are spitting out.
Just find a solid, well balanced frame and get it strung up with a good synthetic gut, and have a ball.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline rustygrooser

• Tennis Player
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 03:41:18 AM »
On sale now are Wilson N5 code force and Babolat Drive OZ.  It costs $89 on midwestsports.com.  Both are oversize (110).  Most players on my club go for Wilson.  But I chose to purchase Babolat because I am a babolat fan l :rofl_2: