Poll

Which player suprised you the most this year?

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
4 (21.1%)
Andy Murray
5 (26.3%)
Gilles Simon
5 (26.3%)
Juan Martin del Potro
3 (15.8%)
Kei Nishikori
1 (5.3%)
Marin Cilic
0 (0%)
Other Tennis player (if so please leave a post saying who)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Which player suprised you the most this year?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
  • Go James Blake!!!Also Djokovic, Verdasco, Tomic!
Which player suprised you the most this year?
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga suprised me. His Australian Open final performance was fantastic and the other end of the year he won the Paris Masters. He's also a really nice guy, so he wins hands down for me!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
Re: Which player suprised you the most this year?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:41 AM »
Gilles Simon.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »
Umm.. kinda tough. Tsonga has had the game, he's been around since last year and we have seen him before. I was surprised but not terribly surprised since he had it in him in some form.
Simon surprised, yes, but again like I said, besides having a win over the top 3, he hasn't done much in terms of results. So.. yeah not that surprised or anything.. well surprised he beat the top 3 but thats it.
Cilic was solid and fell right at expectation.

Del Potro I think surprised me the most. From what I remember last year and what he has become now, I am surprised. And not necessarily a fan but surprised he could even do what he has done.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:45:25 AM »
Simon won 3 titles and Del Potro won 4 titles.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 05:37:02 AM »
I'll take Murray. There's was never much question the talent was there. But it's pretty amazing how he has seemed to turn on a dime with respect to his attitude on the cout. He is no longer self destructive, and that has made a huge difference.
To me it's much harder to change your attitude on court than your game.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
Kei Nishikori

I had never heard of him. Aside from Simon, my runner-up, I'm surprised others are picking people who are living up to expectations.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 10:32:07 AM »
Andy Murray for me. He took me by huge surprise. Never saw that one coming.
You are everything I am not.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »

What are you talking about?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 12:05:02 PM »

What?  :innocent: I am saying Andy took me by surprise. I really didn't see that one coming.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »
I'd say Simon because he has a pretty limited game and was able to accomplish much more than I ever thought he could.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 01:28:46 PM »

What?  :innocent: I am saying Andy took me by surprise. I really didn't see that one coming.

I'm just not seeing how three people here could say that the guy with the most promise is the biggest surprise. You guys are a little off your bearings.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 02:34:50 PM »

I'm just not seeing how three people here could say that the guy with the most promise is the biggest surprise. You guys are a little off your bearings.

Agreed.  They have been spending way too much time playing T4U's new arcade games. 
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 03:32:10 PM »

I don't know about D-mas but I was sort of away for a certain period of time and only watched women's tennis and didn't know much about Murray. So in that sense, he took me by surprise. Are we happy now?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:16:52 PM »

Agreed.  They have been spending way too much time playing T4U's new arcade games. 

See my comment below. I think changing your attitude on the court is much more difficult than improving your game. We all knew he had game, but he self destructed more often than not. Brad Gilbert was just the kind of coach he needed to make the change needed, and he still didn't change. In fact he took a step back. I am just surprised he has made such a turnaround mentally so quickly. After Gilbert was run off, I though Murray was on the verge of being a talented failure on the level of Agassi (circa 1992 or 3).

An ambition fulfilled

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I think changing your attitude on the court is much more difficult than improving your game. We all knew he had game, but he self destructed more often than not. Brad Gilbert was just the kind of coach he needed to make the change needed, and he still didn't change. In fact he took a step back. I am just surprised he has made such a turnaround mentally so quickly. After Gilbert was run off, I though Murray was on the verge of being a talented failure on the level of Agassi (circa 1992 or 3).
I am not sure about it. When you're 20 years old some players are very good on the court but they are still babies/kids with their attitude. They grow and they have more maturity. Also the entourage of Murray has helped him a lot (including Corretja in clay season). Murray is very critic of himself and now he has become a more mature person.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 11:36:02 PM »

I don't know about D-mas but I was sort of away for a certain period of time and only watched women's tennis and didn't know much about Murray. So in that sense, he took me by surprise. Are we happy now?

Actually, that is the same way Dmast came to this conclusion. In fact, it's the only way.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 12:18:51 AM »

See my comment below. I think changing your attitude on the court is much more difficult than improving your game. We all knew he had game, but he self destructed more often than not. Brad Gilbert was just the kind of coach he needed to make the change needed, and he still didn't change. In fact he took a step back. I am just surprised he has made such a turnaround mentally so quickly. After Gilbert was run off, I though Murray was on the verge of being a talented failure on the level of Agassi (circa 1992 or 3).

Yeah, when I read that, I thought you were talking about Tsonga: oft injured, over weight, more ego than results prior to 2008, reached his first major final, won his first MS shield, finished #6 (even after missing half the year, including 2 majors)... Tsonga has to be #1b in your book.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »

Yeah, when I read that, I thought you were talking about Tsonga: oft injured, over weight, more ego than results prior to 2008, reached his first major final, won his first MS shield, finished #6 (even after missing half the year, including 2 majors)... Tsonga has to be #1b in your book.

He might be 1b. I don't see him as overweight. He's bigger than an average player, but not really overweight. I'd say that weight will become a problem in a few years, make his career shorter than he, or his fans, would like.
I really didn't, or don't see his attitude as a problem though. Not like Murray. I've seen Murray literally go from winning a match to beating himself mentally and end up losing more than once.

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »

He might be 1b. I don't see him as overweight. He's bigger than an average player, but not really overweight. I'd say that weight will become a problem in a few years, make his career shorter than he, or his fans, would like.
I really didn't, or don't see his attitude as a problem though. Not like Murray. I've seen Murray literally go from winning a match to beating himself mentally and end up losing more than once.

I'm just giving Emma the business; she dragged you into this. Anyway, I think it's more a matter of your familiarity with Murray relative to Tsonga. Jo-Willy did have a weight/conditioning problem prior to 2008--injuries may have played a big part in that. And his game did have to catch up to his ego--seems it has.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
I can never drag Dmas into anything. If he's tall and big as he says he is then he's too heavy for me to drag. God knows I need a man to open my jars. Oh and zip me up too. But that's it.

I don't think "surprised" is the right word for me. I would rather say Murray impressed me the most. How about that, huh?