Poll

Which player suprised you the most this year?

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
4 (21.1%)
Andy Murray
5 (26.3%)
Gilles Simon
5 (26.3%)
Juan Martin del Potro
3 (15.8%)
Kei Nishikori
1 (5.3%)
Marin Cilic
0 (0%)
Other Tennis player (if so please leave a post saying who)
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Which player suprised you the most this year?  (Read 5824 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Which player suprised you the most this year?
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »
I can never drag Dmas into anything. If he's tall and big as he says he is then he's too heavy for me to drag. God knows I need a man to open my jars. Oh and zip me up too. But that's it.

I don't think "surprised" is the right word for me. I would rather say Murray impressed me the most. How about that, huh?

:bright idea:

Now I have a purpose in life! :shiny:

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:11:50 PM »
I can never drag Dmas into anything. If he's tall and big as he says he is then he's too heavy for me to drag. God knows I need a man to open my jars. Oh and zip me up too. But that's it.

I don't think "surprised" is the right word for me. I would rather say Murray impressed me the most. How about that, huh?

:bright idea:

Now I have a purpose in life! :shiny:

So it seems.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
Gilles Simon.

I said Del Potro because he won those tournaments in a row...but I was tempted to say Simon. :))

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 04:42:27 PM »
Gilles Simon.

I said Del Potro because he won those tournaments in a row...but I was tempted to say Simon. :))
I picked Simon because I think he has made a lot of progress:
he played 3rd round in ao against Rafa and lost 75 62 63, then he made a lot of progress, the simon of the start of the season and the simon of the middle/end of season are like night and day. I also like his attitude to never give up.
IIRC Del Potro is the 2nd player in atp history to win 3 tournaments in 3 weeks. (previous was Coria).
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
Gilles Simon.

he played 3rd round in ao against Rafa and lost 75 62 63, then he made a lot of progress, the simon of the start of the season and the simon of the middle/end of season are like night and day. I also like his attitude to never give up.
IIRC Del Potro is the 2nd player in atp history to win 3 tournaments in 3 weeks. (previous was Coria).

I think both of these players were surprising to me.  I  mean, maybe they were saying more things about Del Potro so he was expected to be on the rise. But you're right about Simon.  Even now when I watch some of his matches I still don't see how the heck he wins...but he does.  I think he practically came out of no where to be the #1 French player and that's no easy feat.  So yes...he was a surprise.  He passed Gasquet, Tsonga (expecially after the way Tsonga started out at the AO)... So he was definitely a surprise.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 10:01:28 PM »
Gilles Simon.

I think both of these players were surprising to me.  I  mean, maybe they were saying more things about Del Potro so he was expected to be on the rise. But you're right about Simon.  Even now when I watch some of his matches I still don't see how the heck he wins...but he does.  I think he practically came out of no where to be the #1 French player and that's no easy feat.  So yes...he was a surprise.  He passed Gasquet, Tsonga (expecially after the way Tsonga started out at the AO)... So he was definitely a surprise.
Del Potro needs to "grow up", maturity, he doesnt do well in the most important matches. he will improve.
then Nishikori who was ranked outside the top 200 at the end of last year, he is now around the top 60. Very big surprise but I have seen him and he has a long way to reach the top 20, he is very young.
Cilic, you know the tradition of the ao surprise finalist, well, Marin Cilic is a great candidate to be the surprise of the AO. I like him a lot, the future star of Croatia.
A very interesting year with young players to follow closely next year.   :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:21 PM »
Murray for me, he was staying the same for awhile and it didn't seem like he would change. The attitude and the game caught me by a pleasant surprise.

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
  • Go James Blake!!!Also Djokovic, Verdasco, Tomic!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »
Simon surprised me - I don't see how the heck he wins
Yeah I agree, Nadal was playing well in that semifinal, and somehow Simon won. It ended on a sour note for me, because Simon challenged a call on matchpoint and won because of a stupid call that should have been a winner. Oh well - life's tough- get use to it. And whoever said Simon was the No. 1# French player hasn't checked the rankings for quite a while - 
Jo-Wilfried is No. 6# and is my pick. To be honest, I was a little annoyed when Nishikori beat Blake at Delray Beach as a qualifier, but it shows he's got more suprises for us in the future. And regards Tsonga, I was disappointed by his performance. And of course, when Blake missed out on Masters Cup by one stupid ATP Race point. Anyway, past is past.

Online monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
For me it was Simon.
I hadn't seen him play much before this year and then it seemed like he came out of nowhere. :yikes:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »
Del Potro