Poll

Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?

Australian Open
9 (19.6%)
French Open
7 (15.2%)
Wimbledon
18 (39.1%)
US Open
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?  (Read 22681 times)

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
  • Go James Blake!!!Also Djokovic, Verdasco, Tomic!
Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:31:47 PM »
I chose the "Happy Slam", my Australian Slam - the Australian Open!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 12:35:10 AM »
It's easier to say which I like least: Wimby  ..-)

I chose RG because it's on clay and it's in Paris and I've been there several times. But I wouldn't put US Open too far behind because of the grounds passes, it's the season's ultimate tourney (I can give a rats ass about those that follow), it's played on the fastest surface, night matches, the fans rock! (Wimby fans are nilly-willy hand sitters), it's the American slam, it's in NYC and I've been there several times. But I wouldn't put the happy slam too far behind that because it looks like a hoot and it's the first slam of the year.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:30:24 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:36:24 AM »
Wimbledon- My home Slam. You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament. Same surface since back in the late 1800s and when you think of tennis more often than not the next thing you think is Wimbledon. Its a very special place with a unique feeling.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:37:13 AM by Chris1987 »
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 12:45:35 AM »
Do I need to say that clay is my favorite surface? Added to that I love the color of the french open...red clay, deep blue skies,flowers lining the courts...its just too beautiful and the french open is more 'french' than the other slams having the trademark of their culture...of course wimbledon comes a close second....the tradition of wimbledon is unique but RG is my favorite and all my favorite players have done wonderfully well there.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:05:21 AM »
1-Wimbledon, home of tennis
2-Roland Garros, clay
3-Flinders Park, the happy slam
4-Flushing Meadows, ny and grandstand.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 12:47:57 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline sadi

• Tennis Addict
  • Poetry in motion
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 03:42:29 AM »
Well of course wimby and my least favourite one is french open just because the center court is never full the V.I.P seats are always empty even in level like semifinals and finals,there are people in world who will give their left arm for a place in the centre court  like me  :)bu in Roland Garros The VIPs don't bother to get in time for the matches.

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
Totally biased here, but since I go to the US Open and it is the easiest for me to follow, I'll go with that.  It's also played in the summer here, which is when tennis season seems to be at it's peak (again, biased view on my part). 

Next would be Wimbledon, followed by the French in 3rd, and finally the AO coming in a distant 4th.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:33 AM »
1) wimbledon (there is nothing like wimbledon)
2) french open (the toughest slam)
3) australian open
4) us open
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:32:32 PM »
Wimbledon- My home Slam. You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament. Same surface since back in the late 1800s and when you think of tennis more often than not the next thing you think is Wimbledon. Its a very special place with a unique feeling.

..-)  6 out of 9 disagree...
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:35:51 PM »
1) Wimbledon
2) US Open
3) Roland Garros
4) Australian Open

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:44:08 PM »

I'm a glass half full guy so its 4 out of 10 agree  :)~ Also on the first point 'history' well thats not part of the question, so others may agree Wimbledon has the most history(which really even the biggest hater of Wimbledon can't really argue with) but just prefer another Slam for other reasons or because its one they've been to a lot, or gives them their best tennis memories.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 12:49:28 PM »

I'm a glass half full guy so its 4 out of 10 agree  :)~ Also on the first point 'history' well thats not part of the question, so others may agree Wimbledon has the most history(which really even the biggest hater of Wimbledon can't really argue with) but just prefer another Slam for other reasons or because its one they've been to a lot, or gives them their best tennis memories.

You work in a bank with numbers, right?  :whistle:

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »

Yeah and.............???
Currently there are 10 votes, 4 which are for Wimbledon, so to me that gives us 4 out of 10 agreeing with Wimbledon  :confused1:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
I made a mistake and I voted AO instead of Wimbledon.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 01:00:12 PM »

No, you're a "less than half full is close enough" guy. On the first point, you said you "You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament." WRONG - that's only true for you and some others. Your second point, "when you think of tennis more often than not the next thing you think is Wimbledon." WRONG - the next thing I'll think about is pizza, then beer, then my favorite players, then the weather in Chicago, then the tournament, then whether BGT is having sex... I won't think of Wimbledon until July!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:01:37 PM by Babblelot »

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 01:03:59 PM »

Yeah and.............???
Currently there are 10 votes, 4 which are for Wimbledon, so to me that gives us 4 out of 10 agreeing with Wimbledon  :confused1:

Ah, Bab screwed up saying 6 out of 9, not 10. Never mind.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »

No, you're a "less than half full is close enough" guy. On the first point, you said you "You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament." WRONG - that's only true for you and some others. Your second point, "when you think of tennis more often than not the next thing you think is Wimbledon." WRONG - the next thing I'll think about is pizza, then beer, then my favorite players, then the weather in Chicago, then the tournament, then whether BGT is having sex... I won't think of Wimbledon until July!

I'd be intrigued to know how an earth you can even debate whether Wimbledon has the most history or not  :confused1: Its the Grand Slam that first started and has kept a lot of its traditions. Does it still have the surface it first had? YES! does the US Open? DOES IT HELL! Then you're 2nd point I'm not even going to discuss as your answers give a clear indication into what ou think about that one.

Oh and by the way it was half full since Conchita meant to go with Wimby and not AO so make that 5/10, oh and wait that gives us 50%  :)~

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 02:14:51 PM »
Here's how I would answer you're first point.

US Open too far behind because of the grounds passes, it's the season's ultimate tourney (I can give a rats ass about those that follow), it's played on the fastest surface, night matches, the fans rock! (Wimby fans are nilly-willy hand sitters), it's the American slam, it's in NYC and I've been there several times. trumps "You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament."

I just beat it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:15:48 PM by Babblelot »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 02:17:16 PM »
I love to see all the disingenuous Nadal fans who've suddenly found religion over Wimbledon now that Rafa beat Federer in Roger's house.  ..-)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 03:43:34 PM »
Here's how I would answer you're first point.

US Open too far behind because of the grounds passes, it's the season's ultimate tourney (I can give a rats ass about those that follow), it's played on the fastest surface, night matches, the fans rock! (Wimby fans are nilly-willy hand sitters), it's the American slam, it's in NYC and I've been there several times. trumps "You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament."

I just beat it.

Well I know you hate Wimbledon and won't ever say a good word about it so I knew when I saw tgis thread so we'll just have to accept one anothers opinions and agree to disagree on that one. As none of what you just said has all that much to do with the roots and tradition of the tournament itself. Yes fantastic and the best I agree in other respects is the US Open but tradition wise, nah its not in the same league as the Slam that started Grand Slam tennis off.