Poll

Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?

Australian Open
8 (18.6%)
French Open
7 (16.3%)
Wimbledon
17 (39.5%)
US Open
11 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?  (Read 22068 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
Australian open, where else?

:fishie:

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
Here's how I would answer you're first point.

US Open too far behind because of the grounds passes, it's the season's ultimate tourney (I can give a rats ass about those that follow), it's played on the fastest surface, night matches, the fans rock! (Wimby fans are nilly-willy hand sitters), it's the American slam, it's in NYC and I've been there several times. trumps "You can't beat the history and prestige of the tournament."

I just beat it.

Well I know you hate Wimbledon and won't ever say a good word about it so I knew when I saw tgis thread so we'll just have to accept one anothers opinions and agree to disagree on that one. As none of what you just said has all that much to do with the roots and tradition of the tournament itself. Yes fantastic and the best I agree in other respects is the US Open but tradition wise, nah its not in the same league as the Slam that started Grand Slam tennis off.

I'm being serious vvvv

Sometimes you Brits will make statements that, to Americans, sound contrary to what you are really saying. From my point of view, I've given a proper response to your claim. But clearly you see a disconnect between your claim and my response.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
1) French Open - the opportunity to see the best tennis display IMHO
2)Wimbledon    - chris is right...people who don't follow tennis STILL know about or the word Wimbledon.....is the First Slam "The Championship"

3) US Open - My wife is from NYC, I love NYC...the night matches.....Newyorkers!

4) Australian Open- is a crapshoot.....there is always some underachiever who get's hot and make a splah....the court changes more often than underwears.

Offline SeVen

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »
I dont really have a favourite.. but I just love the AO, for having not seen live tennis on tv for so long, and the AO is the 1st tourney that is televised, I LOVE IT  :))
I love Serena. Venus, Davenport,Seles

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »
I love to see all the disingenuous Nadal fans who've suddenly found religion over Wimbledon now that Rafa beat Federer in Roger's house.  ..-)
I just hope you are not refereeing to me!  :confused1:
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
I love to see all the disingenuous Nadal fans who've suddenly found religion over Wimbledon now that Rafa beat Federer in Roger's house.  ..-)

I don't even think of you as a Nadal fan  :)~  and you're never disingenuous.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »

I don't even think of you as a Nadal fan  :)~  and you're never disingenuous.
thanks Babble!  :)
you know it was very difficult to pick between Wimby and Roland Garros and also then between USO and AO.

I picked Wimby because my 3 favourite matches were at Wimbledon: Martinez in 94, Santana in 66 and Nadal in 08, then 4th is Arantxa in RG 89 (copyright Vamos!), 5th Orantes USO 75, 6th Bruguera in RG 93, 7th Santana USO 65.

Now I must speak as a Spanish tennis fan:
I appreciate more the difficult things to achieve,
Roland Garros, clay, I love clay of course but for a Spanish player to win on clay is too easy, see how many finalists in the past 20 years. too easy.
Also I would preferred a grand slam on clay in Rome instead of Paris, for fan reasons. Trationally Roma was the "5th slam".

What makes the difference between a good and a great spanish player is to win or reach finals outside clay. Wimbledon is nº1 priority and between clay and grass I can not pick one, I love grass as much as clay.

USO or AO?? do you know why I voted for the AO? because traditionally AO is the most difficult slam for the spanish players, also in davis cup our 3 defeats in finals were there, in singles only Gisbert, Gimeno, Moya, Sanchez Vicario and Martinez reached the final and lost (probably all in straight sets). Only Virginia has won 1 women doubles titles and Arantxa IIRC 2 Mixed Doubles. It's the curse of the AO for the Spanish players.

If the question was, what do you prefer a win on HC in NY or in Mlebourne? Well, USO is more prestigious by a mile but Spanish Tennis needs to break the curse at the AO. I hope soon. AO is our worst slam.

USO, at least Santana (grass), Orantes (clay) and Arantxa (hard) won there. Sadly I disagree about some of your remarks about the USO and I can answer to you about it but dont want to "fight", one thing is sure: of all the courts in grand slams the grandstand (your avi) is for me the best.  :)    
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:56:19 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »
conchita's awesome.  :)) Yeah just random but seriously!

my favorite is USO followed by Wimbledon/FO and then AO but its really hard to seperate between the AO Wimbledon and French for me. It's USO and the other three.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »
conchita, who the heck was the last Spaniard to win the USO on HC, i.e., since 1978? If that's your criteria, why wouldn't you pick the USO over AO?

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:59 PM »
conchita, who the heck was the last Spaniard to win the USO on HC, i.e., since 1978? If that's your criteria, why wouldn't you pick the USO over AO?

Her point was no spaniard has ever won the AO unlike the UO!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 11:20:19 PM »

I got lost  :;:-|

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 11:37:39 PM »

I got lost  :;:-|
right, Hunting! no singles win and only 1 set won in 6 finals (Gisbert 68)! the "curse", and all 3 defeats in dc finals away from home also in Australia.   
USO; since 78:
Arantxa beat Graf in 94!!!!!!!, she also won twice the doubles in 93 and 94 with Sukova and Novotna, then Virginia won the doubles 3 times with Paola 02-04, our 2nd best male doubles team ever won in 88 Emilio & Casal, and also Casal (86), Emilio (87) and Arantxa (00) each one 1 mixed doubles.
10 USO on hard (1 clay 1 grass 12 USO), 3 singles win, 6 doubles win and 3 mixed doubles

only 5 AO, 3 Arantxa doubles (92 Sukova, 95 Novotna, 96 Rubin) forgot those 3 in my prevous post!! , 1 Virginia doubles titles with Paola (04) and Arantxa 1 mixed with Woorbridge (93) only women titles in doubles.

Finals lost, USO: 4, Ferrero, Arantxa, Emilio/Arantxa, Arantxa/Novotna.
Finals lost, AO: 10, (8 hardcourts, 2 grass) Gisbert and Gimeno on grass, Moya, Arantxa (2), Martinez, Arantxa/Hantuchova, Virginia & Paola, Arantxa/Woddbrige (2)

USO Finals 12W/4L
AO 5W/10L

"the curse"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 12:34:57 PM by conchita »

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Arantxa, you forgot she defeated Graf in 94! When she does commentating she always compared herself to Nadal! She s pregnant now!  :)
do you want my thoughts on your post about the USO? :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:22:51 AM by conchita »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 12:48:24 AM »
Arantxa, you forgot she defeated Graf in 94! When she does commentating she always compared herself to Nadal! She s pregnant now!  :)

Always loved ASV...

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 01:19:08 AM »

Always loved ASV...
Why?

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 01:25:02 AM »

Always loved ASV...
Why?

You always ask why I love certain people right Conchita?  :))
I thought she was very aggressive in her style...and I always loved her rivalry with graf...very nice players in the 90's...all very good...and besides she was very good on clay  ..-)  and many of her matches were very very close....graf seemed lucky at times...anyways I thought ASV always meant business much like Graf....

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 01:26:19 AM »

Always loved ASV...
Why?

I thought she was very aggressive in her style...and I always loved her rivalry with graf...very nice players in the 90's...all very good...and besides she was very good on clay  ..-)  and many of her matches were very very close....graf seemed lucky at times...anyways I thought ASV always meant business much like Graf....
She is very nice and friendly, always smiling!!  :)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »

Always loved ASV...
Why?

Yep and I I always get excited when i see her in any of the GS...

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »
Here is my view of W -

I think Wimbledon is a great tournament, BUT....they make tennis seem like an "uppity" sport (conceited, exclusive, upper-class wealthy, elitist, highly cultured (but phony), "Ivy-league", class-driven sport).  Wearing all white, while a tradition that may have once been admirable, is now ridiculous and feels very country club to me, which I don't like.

I think it drives average sports fans away and serves to keep tennis mostly a sport for the wealthy members of society.  Many sports fans that I speak with continue to view tennis as a "sissy" sport, even though we know this is not the case.  I prefer my sports to be a bit more raw and I believe in self-expression.  It's time the powers that be at Wimbledon loosen up a little.

Lets face it, who wears all white every time they play tennis.  I'll tell you who, old ladies!

Having said all that, I love the grass and it is an extremely special slam.  Most of the British fans seem great as well.  I just wish they could make it a bit less stuffy, I guess.
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 09:26:06 AM »

Always loved ASV...
Why?

I rooted for Vicario when she was playing. I always liked her. But after meeting her briefly last year,  :wub:. She's fantastic.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)