Poll

Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?

Australian Open
9 (20.5%)
French Open
7 (15.9%)
Wimbledon
17 (38.6%)
US Open
11 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?  (Read 22457 times)

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 03:32:05 PM »
Well, my favorite tend to change with who is my favorite player at the moment.

Example:

When Lendl was my favorite player, I loved the French and US Open and hated - absolutely hated Wimbledon.  (you can guess why).

Then when Pete became my favorite - I loved Wimbledon!!!!!  and I coudn't stand the French Open.

Now with Roger...

I would still say Wimbledon is still up there as one of my favorites simply because Roger says that's his favorite and I know how much that means to him.  But on the poll, I picked the US Open for 2 reasons:

1.  Roger's won it 5 straight years!
2.  It's in my time zone so I can watch many, many hours of it in a 'regular' time zone.  Unlike the Australian (where I would have to get up at 3:00 am to watch matches live); or the French and Wimbledon who have a 6 or 7 hour difference.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
 :rofl_2:

lol @ Chris and kicker, 13 out of 18 reject your waxing nostalgic   ..-)   That ratio will continue to grow as time passes and grass court tennis becomes more irrelevant.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »

lol @ Chris and kicker, 13 out of 18 reject your waxing nostalgic   ..-)   That ratio will continue to grow as time passes and grass court tennis becomes more irrelevant.

It's in second place in the poll, 5 out the 18 picked it as their favorite, and that doesn't cound Conchita, who said she picked the wrong one, but intended to pick Wimbledon. That make it tied for first.
I think if grass was going to fall out of favor it would have done so by now. It's not as prevelant as it was 30 years ago, but it's should be more signifciant than it is given tennis' history.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
I rooted for Vicario when she was playing. I always liked her. But after meeting her briefly last year,  :wub:. She's fantastic.
I guess the place was Newport!  :) and if I am correct it was the most important day for me in 2007. :)
For sure my best day with a spanish player was with Arantxa in 1995. I will always remember that day.  :)
Brother Emilio is also a very nice person, great memories of him and Casal!  :)

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2008, 07:02:56 PM »
I rooted for Vicario when she was playing. I always liked her. But after meeting her briefly last year,  :wub:. She's fantastic.
I guess the place was Newport!  :) and if I am correct it was the most important day for me in 2007. :)
For sure my best day with a spanish player was with Arantxa in 1995. I will always remember that day.  :)

I drove her and her family from one of the many banquets. She has a million watt personality. Of course that may have been due to her joy at that culmiation of her acheivements. Still, she was smiling and bubbly and talking a mile a minute.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »

I drove her and her family from one of the many banquets. She has a million watt personality. Of course that may have been due to her joy at that culmiation of her acheivements. Still, she was smiling and bubbly and talking a mile a minute.
She is always like that, she is very emotional and yes she is talking always a lot. She has a wonderful personality. Did you get an autograph?
You should have kidnapped the whole family -just kidding- they are considered a national treasure.
In her wedding this year she was so beautiful!  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:56 PM »

It's in second place in the poll, 5 out the 18 picked it as their favorite, and that doesn't cound Conchita, who said she picked the wrong one, but intended to pick Wimbledon. That make it tied for first.
I think if grass was going to fall out of favor it would have done so by now. It's not as prevelant as it was 30 years ago, but it's should be more signifciant than it is given tennis' history.

SeVen didn't vote, but he said he like AO better. So that's 13 out of 19.

Anyway, are you kidding me? How many times have we seen this poll? How many times have you/I seen this poll elsewhere? How big a margin did Wimby win in each previous poll ever take? A large margin is the correct answer. The fact that it's tied with the US Open (lol) speaks volumes about how people's attitude toward Wimby has changed over the past couple of years. Dang, it doesn't even garner 1/3 of the vote. Do you think that trend will reverse?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »

She is always like that, she is very emotional and yes she is talking always a lot. She has a wonderful personality. Did you get an autograph?
You should have kidnapped the whole family -just kidding- they are considered a national treasure.

Drat! I should have done that.... on second thought, I don't think they would be happy in my life. :dunno:
I'm not an autograph hound. The only autographs I've ever gotten was during a doubles match between Navrtilova and sombody (Gigi Fernández?), and Zina Garrison/Lori McNeil. It was at the Oakland Coliseum and there weren't that many people there in the first place. Guess who's autograph I got??

WRONG!!! Pretty much everybody wanted Navrtilova's autograph, and nobody wanted Garrison/McNeils. I had always been a Lori McNeil fan so I went down and had them autograph my ticket stub.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2008, 08:30:09 PM »

Anyway, are you kidding me? How many times have we seen this poll? How many times have you/I seen this poll elsewhere? How big a margin did Wimby win in each previous poll ever take? A large margin is the correct answer. The fact that it's tied with the US Open (lol) speaks volumes about how people's attitude toward Wimby has changed over the past couple of years. Dang, it doesn't even garner 1/3 of the vote. Do you think that trend will reverse?

Ultimatly it's a matter of opinion. I pretty much rolled my eyes when I saw this poll, as I remember others as well. Though I don't remember the results of them.
I like Wimbledon, I always have, even when it was serve and a cloud of dust tennis. I like the ambiance, and tradition. That too is opinion. I like the US Open the least. I don't like all the bluster. Too much hype and fanfare for me. I like the French Open, then Australia, and I pray that one day I will be able to see them all in person (that is all but the US Open. Not because I wouldn't want to go, but because I've been already).

An ambition fulfilled

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 08:36:08 PM »

Ultimatly it's a matter of opinion. I pretty much rolled my eyes when I saw this poll, as I remember others as well. Though I don't remember the results of them.
I like Wimbledon, I always have, even when it was serve and a cloud of dust tennis. I like the ambiance, and tradition. That too is opinion. I like the US Open the least. I don't like all the bluster. Too much hype and fanfare for me. I like the French Open, then Australia, and I pray that one day I will be able to see them all in person (that is all but the US Open. Not because I wouldn't want to go, but because I've been already).

True, it is a matter of opinion and opinions are changing rapidly. I remember past polls because I make a big deal out of "hating on Wimby" AND acknowledging that Wimby wins these polls hands down every time.  :)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »

True, it is a matter of opinion and opinions are changing rapidly. I remember past polls because I make a big deal out of "hating on Wimby" AND acknowledging that Wimby wins these polls hands down every time.  :)

Maybe it has the "Apple factor". Those that like the other slams aren't as passionate as those who like Wimbledon. The fans can be counted on to come to it's defense with vigor. While the rest just don't care to be bothered.
I'm a Wimbledon fan, but not in that mold.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2008, 09:06:53 PM »
Very tough decision but for me,it has to be Wimbledon...That's just somethin I knew from the early ages and it doesn't changed since then...
I know that Tommy's fave is USO and because of that I said that was tough decision but like I said,never in doubt..Anyway,USO comes the 2nd and closing the gap on 1st... :))
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »
Not a easy decision for me now with Murray so good on hardcourts.In the past it was always Wimbledon & i guess it still is,but i loved watching the USO even if Andy got beat in the final.One thing is for sure,if there a slam on tv i will be watching,once in a blue moon i might turn up @ one.

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
  • Go James Blake!!!Also Djokovic, Verdasco, Tomic!
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:56 PM »
People have only picked the US Open becuase Americans live there and there are loads of them. The fact that US OPen is there - lol :rofl_2: Anyway, I can see the attraction - it is my second favoourite slam - hardcourt rules.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:37 PM »

Drat! I should have done that.... on second thought, I don't think they would be happy in my life. :dunno:
I'm not an autograph hound. The only autographs I've ever gotten was during a doubles match between Navrtilova and sombody (Gigi Fernández?), and Zina Garrison/Lori McNeil. It was at the Oakland Coliseum and there weren't that many people there in the first place. Guess who's autograph I got??

WRONG!!! Pretty much everybody wanted Navrtilova's autograph, and nobody wanted Garrison/McNeils. I had always been a Lori McNeil fan so I went down and had them autograph my ticket stub.

McNeil brings me back great memories, you know why, she is a very nice and elegant lady. Gigi, LOL, dont know what to say.
I am also not an autograph hound, just 2 tennis player (Orantes and Arantxa) and I had easy chances to get them.

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 09:42:59 PM »
For all you people who think the Australian Open is lame - WRONG!!!  :)~ :Bleh: :grind dance: This year, 1.98 billion people watched the Australian Open on their TV. Since 2 billion people live on less than two dollars a day (and obviously would not own a television (poor people)),
that makes the fact that 1 in 2 people across the entire Earth have seen and liked the Aussie OPen. In the nicest way possible, in your face!!! ;-()

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
Ok we should also have a poll what slam we are not so keen on.I would go Clay as its a lot slower than the rest,if wimby gets much slower i could turn against that 2.

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2008, 09:52:59 PM »
I don't like grass because it's so fast, and the ball doesn't bounce. Only Nadal and Federer win, and everyone else gets slaughtered. Other semifinalists are lame!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2008, 09:57:12 PM »
I don't like grass because it's so fast, and the ball doesn't bounce. Only Nadal and Federer win, and everyone else gets slaughtered. Other semifinalists are lame!!!

I know you're not American. Are you a Brit? If so, you'd be the only one of the lot who abandoned your heritage.

Offline Jamesblakefan

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:02 PM »
No I'm an Australian. I live on the Gold Coast in Queensland. I've been to the Australian Open before and I saw Gonzalez vs. Hewitt 4th round in 2007. I probably wouldn't be that unkind to my own country.