Poll

Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?

Australian Open
9 (19.6%)
French Open
7 (15.2%)
Wimbledon
18 (39.1%)
US Open
12 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?  (Read 23147 times)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
Re: Which is your favourite Grand Slam and why?
« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:38 PM »

1. Wimbledon
2. US open
3. Australian Open
4. Roland Garros

you cant be serious. how can anybody have roland garros last. clay is the ultimate battlefield.

you really have to prove yourself on clay.

Everyone thinks differently and likes different things.  I also have Roland Garros as my least favorite.   See...it can happen! :whistle:

of course its your least favorite. tell me something i dont know.

:rofl_2: And to think... when Lendl was around, this was my FAVORITE! and Wimbledon was my least liked!  So it depends on who is my 'player' at the time... :innocent:

Do you actually like TENNIS or it just a fanatic obsession with a particular player? Kind of The Jonas Bothers Fans?  How can you go from liking RG to not liking RG aside from your player getting stump on it?

she is not going to be able to explain that. she hates the players (like Canas for example) who run over Fed and she hates the surfaces he cannot win on.

now Murray and Simon are probably on her hate list too by now. i know that deep inside she has probably wished 1000 times that the clay monster had taken up soccer.

remember that dallas is on record for saying that she will take Fed winning any possible way he can.

why are you so against real competition dallas. do you not want to see what Fed is really made of?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2008, 10:47:22 PM »
why are you so against real competition dallas. do you not want to see what Fed is really made of?

I'm under the same stance you are about Nadal with Roger... that is... Roger doesn't have to do another thing in tennis because he's already proven what he's really made of by winning 13 slams (5 straight Wimbledons; 5 straight US Opens).  He's already done enough for me in my book. ;-()

Offline MistaLefty2u

• Tennis Player
  • GAME SET AND MATCH!
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
I love Wimbledon and it's rich history that follows.
Not to mention the people and their nice accents.. ;-()
However, the US Open is pretty much up there w/ Wimbledon.

----------------
Now playing: Marvin Winans Jr. - A Single Rose
via FoxyTunes
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome.I don't care who you are, you're going to choke n certain matches. You get 2 a point where your legs don't move and you can't take a deep breath

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2009, 07:18:42 AM »

I'm under the same stance you are about Nadal with Roger... that is... Roger doesn't have to do another thing in tennis because he's already proven what he's really made of by winning 13 slams (5 straight Wimbledons; 5 straight US Opens).  He's already done enough for me in my book. ;-()

then why are you not able to relax about him. even the clay monster calls him the greatest in history. you know nobody can win forever in this sport.

he has had total monopoly on fame and fortune in the sport for the last 4 years or so. he is also worth nearly $200 million now. his endorsement income alone is $35 mill a year.

how much is enough?

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #124 on: January 01, 2009, 11:24:14 AM »

then why are you not able to relax about him. even the clay monster calls him the greatest in history. you know nobody can win forever in this sport.

he has had total monopoly on fame and fortune in the sport for the last 4 years or so. he is also worth nearly $200 million now. his endorsement income alone is $35 mill a year.

how much is enough?

Isn't it ok if I just like watching the guy play?  I can't help it that I get nervous for his matches.  And I do know no one can win forever (with the exception of Nadal, it has been told to us over and over that he'll win for the next 7-8 years :innocent:).  I just like watching him play and from the interviews I've seen about Roger - he truly just love playing tennis!  So even if he's not at the top - why should he quit?  He enjoys doing what he's doing and as long as he's playing - I'm going to enjoy watching him.

Many people took Justine for granted but now that she's not playing, I've read that they have truly missed her.  This is what I think will happen to Roger.  When he stops playing, even the people who didn't like him will kind of miss him.  He has been great for tennis and I'm glad he likes it well enough to continue playing! ://

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #125 on: January 01, 2009, 12:59:30 PM »

how much is enough?

Isn't it ok if I just like watching the guy play?  I can't help it that I get nervous for his matches.  And I do know no one can win forever (with the exception of Nadal, it has been told to us over and over that he'll win for the next 7-8 years :innocent:).  I just like watching him play and from the interviews I've seen about Roger - he truly just love playing tennis!  So even if he's not at the top - why should he quit?  He enjoys doing what he's doing and as long as he's playing - I'm going to enjoy watching him.

Many people took Justine for granted but now that she's not playing, I've read that they have truly missed her.  This is what I think will happen to Roger.  When he stops playing, even the people who didn't like him will kind of miss him.  He has been great for tennis and I'm glad he likes it well enough to continue playing! ://

he has been good for the sport.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2009, 07:17:03 PM »
My favorite is the Australian because I love the atmosphere and the enthusiasm of the fans.

My favorite to watch is the French.

My least favorite, even tho' Rafa won there, is Wimbledon. I don't care about the history of it all, big deal, it's not Lawn Tennis anymore.  :\  Not changing with the times ... sounds like a bunch of old men still running the show to me.  Too zipped up and faux elegant. 

Offline Borovnia

• Tennis God
  • March 27th 1999 - August 9th 2008
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2009, 06:21:41 PM »
Roland Garros. Why? We spaniards always played on clay. 9 out last 16 French Opens were won by spaniards, french crowd hate us, etc.

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2009, 04:39:04 AM »
Roland Garros. Why? We spaniards always played on clay. 9 out last 16 French Opens were won by spaniards, french crowd hate us, etc.

What's this prejudice again?
A lot of people loved Ferrero, Moya, Corretja, and now a lot love Nadal. What are you talking about? Maybe in the past, but it must not be the case anymore...

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2009, 02:52:01 PM »
conchita, who the heck was the last Spaniard to win the USO on HC, i.e., since 1978? If that's your criteria, why wouldn't you pick the USO over AO?

Her point was no spaniard has ever won the AO unlike the UO!

I got lost  :;:-|
I changed my opinion, now my favourite grand slam is the USO. why?
Santana on grass, Orantes on clay, maybe a spaniard champion on hardcourts at Flushing Meadows.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline HighDesertTennis

• Tennis Player
    • HighdesertTennis
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »
1) I'm "vested" in the US Open being my favorite.
2) But...the Aussie open is always very fresh, as in the start of a new Professional Circuit, and it's excitment..and that of the Aussies themselves is highly infectious!
3) The GRIT..and FIGHT ..and ..and MARATHON like event at the French is AWESOME (that word overused..but not for the French)(Americans need to go to sliding skool)!
4) The Britich Open (All England) needs to really spice up!!!..although the advent of the near basline game that has evolved is fun..the rains and washouts in general are..um..exasperating. Did they put a roof on Centre Court?

Dan

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
1) I'm "vested" in the US Open being my favorite.
2) But...the Aussie open is always very fresh, as in the start of a new Professional Circuit, and it's excitment..and that of the Aussies themselves is highly infectious!
3) The GRIT..and FIGHT ..and ..and MARATHON like event at the French is AWESOME (that word overused..but not for the French)(Americans need to go to sliding skool)!
4) The Britich Open (All England) needs to really spice up!!!..although the advent of the near basline game that has evolved is fun..the rains and washouts in general are..um..exasperating. Did they put a roof on Centre Court?

Dan

This will be the first year it's in action. They have some exos planned in the near future to "test" conditions with roof closed.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »

Offline August

• Tennis Addict
    • August on Sports
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2013, 06:24:54 AM »
1. Wimbledon - Traditions and grass
2. AO - Long wait after USO. Bad thing the slow HC.
Tied 3rd: USO & RG - Clay is unique but I prefer fast HCs, like at USO pre 2010s, unfortunately current USO HC is slow.

My blog: August on Sports | My twitter: @AugustOnSports

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2013, 10:46:26 AM »
Still Wimbly baby for me  :gleam:

2nd: USO
3rd: AO
4th: RG
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:09 PM »
I love the U.S. Open and dream of spending a week there.
Aussie O. is the first real tennis of the year and I eat that up.
French O. provides some variety and allows the grinders their shot at glory.
But all of that pales in comparison to The Championships.
In the 40 years that I've been a tennis fan, there has never been any doubt in my mind as to what the most prized title in tennis is.  To me, it is the ultimate tournament to play in or watch.
'Nuff said.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2013, 06:49:17 PM »
Wimbledon, USO and AO - and in that order too.
You are everything I am not.

Offline Rafa816

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »
The USO. The times line up well for me and I love the promos they show and the night matches are great to watch! Then comes the French simply because I'm a Nadal fan. Then the Australian. I enjoy staying up until 5 am watching tennis (though now that I graduated and have a job, those days are gone  :( ). Wimbledon...it's just too stuck up for me. All the 'tradition' and the 'must wear white' and the 11 o'clock curfew no matter what the consequences and the ridiculous limiters on bandana length and crap like that. It all just gives the feel of some stuck up monarchist trying to keep the past alive.

Rafa is the FIRST to qualify for WTF this year! :D

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2013, 01:58:43 AM »
Calgary Open