Author Topic: 'La Decima' French Open 2015 early discussions  (Read 3450 times)

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
Re: 'La Decima' French Open 2015 early discussions
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 11:39:13 AM »
Congrats to Stan. With a washed up Federer on his side of the draw, he was able to capitalize this opportunity fully.

My heart goes out to Nole. With a brutal draw and terrible scheduling, his chances diminished significantly to win RG where he actually beat Nadal for the first time. He was both nervous and jaded. I am sure he will end up winning at least 1 RG, just too bad it didn't happen this year.
When the night comes with the action, I just know it's time to go
Can't resist the strange attraction from that giant dynamo...

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
Amazing for Stanimal! :))
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
This does look amazing from Federer's perspective - not to mention, his fans. Now both Federer and Wawrinka have 1 RG each, so Federer won't be able to brag about his anymore. On top of that, Stan won his RG beating a prime Nole, whereas Federer had to wait for someone else to take Nadal out first, so that he could his win his.  :rofl_2: :)~

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
Also, Stan's win is sweet; Federer's bittersweet. Stan's effortless, Federer's contrived. Oh, there are so many angles to this.  :rofl_2:

Ok, ok I will stop now.  :)~

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
On a serious note, I didn't see this match in its entirety. Just a few games here and there. Missed the first two sets entirely. I just had some things to do and those were priority (such is life) but I don't see Stan winning it had he been on the other side of the draw. Beating Nadal, Murray/Nole and whoever in the final, in succession, is a tall order. Even Nole couldn't do it, clearly.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2015, 01:29:35 PM »
Norman made a beast out of Wawrinka. Amelie did the opposite to Murray (mental midget would be a brutally honest description). He has now lost to Noel 8 times in a row. Hard to believe this very guy won his 2 Slams and the Olympics beating the same guy he now can't win. And that wasn't even a long time ago.

I am quite sure Andy would have lost in 4 sets had the match not expanded to next day. Some say he was gassed in the final set. Why and how was he gassed when he had an overnight to rest? Nest day, only half a set later, he was gassed and lost it in 1-6? Did he not play two very long matches (in fact his longest) just last year on this very venue, where he beat two worthy clay opponents? So no, he wasn't gassed.

Clearly Andy didn't believe in the end that he could win against Nole at RG. He felt good and became very comfortable after winning the 4th set. He felt he did more than enough he could have done. It was a subtle change but it was there and the outcome followed.

The difference between Nole and Andy is, Nole plays to win the tournament whereas Andy is more concerned with beating Nole. The whole time he was fighting to stay in the match but in the fifth set, when things were finally even and became a matter of winning the match, Andy crumbled. In fact, he was almost bagled. Nole didn't raise his level, Andy simply made one too many errors to give away an easy game to Nole and that was the deciding factor of the match because Andy didn't believe he could win it back again. He was finally done with chasing. I call it mental collapse and a lack of faith.

Amelie's t-shirt read, 'you make your own luck' or something along the line. That's right because there's no other way you, Amelie, can help Andy overcome his mental blocks or get his serves right. It wasn't even subtle.

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2015, 04:07:10 PM »
Emma - don't be bitter.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
I am not bitter. I really like Nole but I am not crazy about him. I also like Stan. I don't think I dislike any player in the true sense - ok, maybe Ferrer. He bugs me for some reason.

Stan got lucky but that's also part of the sport - what can one do. I am happy for him nonetheless. It's a shame however that he won RG before Djokovic who has such a good resume on clay - 8 Masters alone - 11 or 12 titles altogether I believe. Stan has 10 titles altogether - half of them are on clay, granted but the major ones came only last year and this year when everyone is sort of declining or have other problems (Fedal, Del Potro out with injuries, Murray having back surgery etc.). 

But Nole is a great Champion and a great loser. He knows exactly why he lost so nothing's going to take that away from him. He'll bounce back pretty soon and will shrug this loss off. There's always next year after all.

Offline Michael

• Tennis Player
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2015, 07:30:07 PM »
Norman made a beast out of Wawrinka. Amelie did the opposite to Murray (mental midget would be a brutally honest description). He has now lost to Noel 8 times in a row. Hard to believe this very guy won his 2 Slams and the Olympics beating the same guy he now can't win. And that wasn't even a long time ago.

I am quite sure Andy would have lost in 4 sets had the match not expanded to next day. Some say he was gassed in the final set. Why and how was he gassed when he had an overnight to rest? Nest day, only half a set later, he was gassed and lost it in 1-6? Did he not play two very long matches (in fact his longest) just last year on this very venue, where he beat two worthy clay opponents? So no, he wasn't gassed.

Clearly Andy didn't believe in the end that he could win against Nole at RG. He felt good and became very comfortable after winning the 4th set. He felt he did more than enough he could have done. It was a subtle change but it was there and the outcome followed.

The difference between Nole and Andy is, Nole plays to win the tournament whereas Andy is more concerned with beating Nole. The whole time he was fighting to stay in the match but in the fifth set, when things were finally even and became a matter of winning the match, Andy crumbled. In fact, he was almost bagled. Nole didn't raise his level, Andy simply made one too many errors to give away an easy game to Nole and that was the deciding factor of the match because Andy didn't believe he could win it back again. He was finally done with chasing. I call it mental collapse and a lack of faith.

Amelie's t-shirt read, 'you make your own luck' or something along the line. That's right because there's no other way you, Amelie, can help Andy overcome his mental blocks or get his serves right. It wasn't even subtle.

What happened in the 5th set was more to do with Djokovic's side of the court. Murray did make tame mistakes in giving away the early break that proved crucial, but wasn't given a chance to recover. Djokovic's forehand in the 5th set was in the 80-100 mph range. Murray got pushed back and there wasn't a lot he could do.

Despite Murray being a strong man swinging a sledgehammer of a racquet, Djokovic effectively has a bigger forehand because there's a higher threshold he can go to while retaining control. Even when accelerating on a bigger than normal shot, Murray probably only swings about 70% (with topspin) because he can struggle for control. You only see Murray's nuclear shots when it's a CC backhand at a big angle, or a running CC forehand; because those are shots with the longest court room where he has a margin where he can go bigger and flatter.

Murray didn't have any straight-forward way of breaking Djokovic down to win points beyond simply trying to grind him down (particularly in light of the characteristics of the surface); and this got much harder once Djokovic upped the ante in the 5th and pushed Murray back.

Murray (and to be fair, a lot of the other players) didn't have that nuclear option of blasting through Djokovic's defences with pure power with any kind of consistency, which Wawrinka has. (even then, Djokovic arguably made the mistake of allowing Wawrinka to play a bit too easily in the final) He effectively became the Murray of 5-6 years ago, who was over-reliant on the serve as the only weapon with any vaguely-consistent penetration.

I'm not entirely sure how much of it is a mental factor versus a conditions-related one though; because he looked the same in the second half of the 2012 Wimbledon final (under the roof), when in the first half of the same match he had been containing Federer with aggressive tennis, and went on to do so at the Olympics.

The conditions off clay should ease some of that problem; but I wonder if Murray will feel the need to get that "nuclear option" by making his forehand bigger in order to close the gap. It may improve with discipline and practise under the right approach.... but it may instead require a racquet change, which might also require a learning process.