Author Topic: The "Don't Discuss Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray in here" thread  (Read 21277 times)

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
Re: The "Don't Mention Nadal, Federer, Djokovic and Murray in here" thread
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2008, 05:48:26 AM »
Sam and Marin are the real deal. I know I'm the only Cilic fan here, but I'm so impressed with this guy. I think he'll have a way better career than Ljubicic and Ancic and will be top 10 next year.
You're the only Cilic fan? You might wnat to check who has started and posted stuff in the Marin Cilic thread  :whistle: I was the only one to pick Cilic to the quarters last year at the AO .. unfortunately Blake took him out in the 4th. Same happened in Wimbledon, I picked quarters and he lost to someone in the 4th.

I am definitely feeling a breakthrough for this guy and sure do hope he has a better career than his compatriots cuz he has the game.

:head-smack: OK, I'm at least in the top 5 favorites, right? :innocent:

Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,Murray,

Epic Fail on the forum's part.

That was just sid being a jerk. ..-)

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »
For people who want to talk about players other than the Fab 4. ;-()

So who thinks Safin's got a chance for another big upset? Does Hewitt have anything in him for another run? Can my Korolev win a match? Can James defend his quarterfinal? Can Andy somehow get his way back into the top 6 with a big run at the AO? He lost in the 3rd round and could really rack up some points.

roddick can fly low and under the radar there. hopefully he can sneak into the quarters and see what happens.

safin and blake are too inconsistent. no telling if they can win more than 2 matches each there and that is only because they will get clowns in the early rounds.

Still, Safin is one I am sure the other players would not mind avoiding, you just never know when he can catch fire.

the deal with Safin is that he is not as fit as he used to be. he has also lost some of his movement. he can win a match or 2 but invariably he will get killed at a slam.

best of 5 sets foremat doesnt work well for him these days.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »

So who thinks Safin's got a chance for another big upset? Does Hewitt have anything in him for another run? Can my Korolev win a match? Can James defend his quarterfinal? Can Andy somehow get his way back into the top 6 with a big run at the AO? He lost in the 3rd round and could really rack up some points.

roddick can fly low and under the radar there. hopefully he can sneak into the quarters and see what happens.

safin and blake are too inconsistent. no telling if they can win more than 2 matches each there and that is only because they will get clowns in the early rounds.

Still, Safin is one I am sure the other players would not mind avoiding, you just never know when he can catch fire.

the deal with Safin is that he is not as fit as he used to be. he has also lost some of his movement. he can win a match or 2 but invariably he will get killed at a slam.

In Safin's defense, getting Hernan Gumy is one of the better moves Safin has made in years. Gumy has helped in a couple of areas: his fittness and his technique. When Safin hurt his knee, he decided against surgery. So in addition to missing a lot of time, when he came back he played apprehensively/lacked confidence in the knee and compensated with threw off his technique--for those of us who've ever played on a bum knee, the rest of your body will tell you how much the knee is affecting your technique. So Gumy played "stroke doctor" and has helped Safin return to past form. In the meantime, Safin has been playing with more confidence in the knee. Scott's right, no one wants to see Safin in their half of the draw. But herc is also correct, overall, Safin's movement is a liability.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »

In Safin's defense, getting Hernan Gumy is one of the better moves Safin has made in years. Gumy has helped in a couple of areas: his fittness and his technique. When Safin hurt his knee, he decided against surgery. So in addition to missing a lot of time, when he came back he played apprehensively/lacked confidence in the knee and compensated with threw off his technique--for those of us who've ever played on a bum knee, the rest of your body will tell you how much the knee is affecting your technique. So Gumy played "stroke doctor" and has helped Safin return to past form. In the meantime, Safin has been playing with more confidence in the knee. Scott's right, no one wants to see Safin in their half of the draw. But herc is also correct, overall, Safin's movement is a liability.

Safin could have been a real monster. it is a bit too late now. he really needed to become a top notch volleyer so he could take advantage of his massive ground game. it would have been easy picking for him at the forecourt. he also didnt develop his serve more than he did. at 6 foot 4, he could have done more damage with his serve.

with injuries and age, we knew there will be a drop off in movement.

he also like the good life too much.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
Safin is very fragile in the 'head' right now.  He doesn't even know if he's coming or going....playing or retiring... so until HE determines what he really wants to do... I'm not counting on him doing much of anything in the tennis world.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
Safin is very fragile in the 'head' right now.  He doesn't even know if he's coming or going....playing or retiring... so until HE determines what he really wants to do... I'm not counting on him doing much of anything in the tennis world.

affirmative. just hand a him a bikini model and bottle of whiskey and he will gladly put his racquets away for a week.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »

He has always been this way which is a shame. So much talent yet couldn't bank on it otherwise he would have given Roger a run for his money. Too bad. I was hugely disappointed as I really had high hopes and I really liked him. Back then both Marat and Lleyton were my two favourite players. At least Lleyton did the best he could. Oh well.
You are everything I am not.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »

He has always been this way which is a shame. So much talent yet couldn't bank on it otherwise he would have given Roger a run for his money. Too bad. I was hugely disappointed as I really had high hopes and I really liked him. Back then both Marat and Lleyton were my two favourite players. At least Lleyton did the best he could. Oh well.
Make no mistake, that boyz been to the bank more than once! ;-()

Agreed he never realized his full potential, which is sad.
Still one of the most entertaining players on tour tho'.  A brilliant shot maker with a temper to match.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2008, 10:09:39 AM »

they are both washed up now. good for a match here and there. i like them both a lot for their superb personalities.

Rusty was quite a fighter in his day. guess who is Rusty`s idol.  believe it or not but he likes the clay monster for his never say die attitude and his incredible ground game.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2008, 10:20:35 AM »

they are both washed up now. good for a match here and there. i like them both a lot for their superb personalities.

Rusty was quite a fighter in his day. guess who is Rusty`s idol.  believe it or not but he likes the clay monster for his never say die attitude and his incredible ground game.
Oooooopsy. :zipped:

;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »

I did not know that but it doesn't surprise me much. I am looking forward to see Lleyton. I feel I haven't seen him in ages.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 10:25:36 AM »

I did not know that but it doesn't surprise me much. I am looking forward to see Lleyton. I feel I haven't seen him in ages.

the 2 of them respect each other a lot. they played doubles together in toronto couple of years back if i am not mistaken.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 10:26:25 AM »

Ooooh...you mentioned the word that you're not suppose to mention in this thread!  Couldn't help it, could you! :rofl_2:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 10:32:15 AM »
I'm just hoping I wasn't responsible for this thread  :rofl_2:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

Well, I think it's a good thread.  There are other players that people may want to talk about.  So here's their chance. :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »

Well, I think it's a good thread.  There are other players that people may want to talk about.  So here's their chance. :))

Exactly what I have said !  :)) So BGT deserves a lot of credits from me doing this thread,and Dallas I'll help keeping this thread on top(bump)  :))

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 10:41:26 AM »

Ooooh...you mentioned the word that you're not suppose to mention in this thread!  Couldn't help it, could you! :rofl_2:

Oh, I should have said "the father of my future children" instead of Roger. Oh, please forgive me. I plead guilty :innocent:

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 11:12:25 AM »
Another good player coming to the Aussie this year,who hasn't been there for a while but reached SF in 2007...something's cookin' .......
But just fingers crossed if he can make it....
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:28:12 AM by Lugburz »

TOMMY HAAS

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »
I'd love to see both Safin and Hewitt go deep in this tourney. :)

Although I think Blake is a swell guy and great shot-maker, for me, watching him play is like sitting on pins and needles. :(

Marin just popped up on my radar last year.  With a bit more experience and a few adjustments he could become even more dangerous. :)>>>>

I haven't seen much of Korolev, will try to keep an eye out this coming year. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 11:33:04 AM »

Exactly what I have said !  :)) So BGT deserves a lot of credits from me doing this thread,and Dallas I'll help keeping this thread on top(bump)  :))

BG deserves big props  :thumbs-up:

Babblelot on Safin:

I think everyone in the world but me has the whole Safin saga all wrong. Marat reached 4 slam finals and finished 2-2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. So what that he's not Sampras or Federer or Borg.

Did he underachieve or did he overachieve? The correct answer is unequivocal: neither. If Marat wasn't the way he is, he could easily have burned out too early much like Borg or Henin. Why didn't Borg continue playing? A: Because in addition to supreme talent, his mind is the way it is. But despite being a top shelf head case, that Safin's critics don't recognize Marat will be playing--and remains dangerous--beyond his 29th birthday is beyond me (I hear you cynics now, and I know who you are--"he just cares about the money; if it weren't for the $$$$ he'd have no interest in playing"). Here's the truth: he cares. He cares a lot. You guys look at a line score and  ..-)  But if you watch the guy, you'll appreciate the fact that he is a perfectionist who is his own ultimate and harsh critic. It's very likely that if Marat didn't have stuff going on outside the tennis world--like Borg didn't--he'd, too, have burned out early, just like Borg did.

Wish as you may that he was more like Nadal mentally and in temperment, but all things considered, Safin's career turned out to be exactly as it should be; he's neither an underachiever or an overachiever. I know you people like to parrot things that others have said because you've proven time and again that you're incapable of thinking for yourselves, so you have only yourselves to blame for being disappointed.

Did I convince anyone? No...

To herc: Safin's first serve is lethal but that second serve is now something of a liability. That is something I wish he would have developed much the way I wish Roddick would have developed his BH.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:36:02 AM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif