Author Topic: THE VICTORIA AZARENKA THREAD- Facts, Articles, Pictures, anything!!  (Read 123703 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: THE VICTORIA AZARENKA THREAD- Facts, Articles, Pictures, anything!!
« Reply #280 on: February 16, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
Good luck to Victoria tonight!  Hopefully she's fully recovered and 100% fit!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #281 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:52 AM »
Monday, February 16, 2009

Singles - First Round
(2) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 62 62

Excellent start by Victoria and straight back into her stride with a comfortable straight sets win :applause: :yahoo:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #282 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »
So Chris dearest...what's with Victoria's health now? Is she back to her playing best?

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »
So Chris dearest...what's with Victoria's health now? Is she back to her playing best?

Yeah Victoria is feeling pretty good right now healthwise from all accounts Falcon  :) and now its really just how she recovers after a few matches and particularly if she has a couple of long matches on consecutive days. But right now Victoria is feeling good and I would say well placed for a real push for the Memphis title  :)

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Stadium (from 10.00hrs)
1. Oudin vs. Erakovic
2. ATP: Gulbis vs. Dent
3. ATP: Baghdatis vs. Nishikori
4. Cohen-Aloro vs. Azarenka

Victoria in 2nd round action later today looking for a place in the Quarter Finals :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
Monday, February 16, 2009

Singles - First Round
(2) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) d. Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 62 62

Excellent start by Victoria and straight back into her stride with a comfortable straight sets win :applause: :yahoo:

Very good win!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
Victoria won 6/2, 6/2 to reach the Quarter Finals :yahoo: :grind dance:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:25 AM »
looks like an emphatic victory  :))   She's doing good  :)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
  • Camelot Elite Tennis Society
« Reply #288 on: February 18, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »
looks like an emphatic victory  :))   She's doing good  :)

i just love her game and the way she conducts herself on the court. count me in as one of her fans.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #289 on: February 18, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
Falcon- Victoria looking really impressive so far this week- as if she's getting back to her Melbourne level  :)
Its like the early days with Hercules and myself as we actually have the same opinion on something  :rofl_2:

But I'm really glad we've got a few Victoria fans here because you guys like Dallas, Falcon, Conchita and Hercules are going to have to keep this thread going when I'm just not going to be able to be around all that much for a vast majority of the time now  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:35:05 PM by Chris1987 »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #290 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:18 PM »
Falcon- Victoria looking really impressive so far this week- as if she's getting back to her Melbourne level  :)
Its like the early days with Hercules and myself as we actually have the same opinion on something  :rofl_2:

But I'm really glad we've got a few Victoria fans here because you guys like Dallas, Falcon, Conchita and Hercules are going to have to keep this thread going when I'm just not going to be able to be around all that much for a vast majority of the time now  :)

And why is that????

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #291 on: February 18, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
Weary of playing the waiting game, Victoria Azarenka burst through to her first career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour title with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Marion Bartoli in last month's Brisbane final.

It was Azarenka's fifth career final. The 19-year-old from Minsk, Belarus was runner-up at Estoril and Tashkent in 2007 and at Gold Coast and Prague in 2008.

"Everybody says the third time is the charm, but for me it's the fifth one I'm just glad I finally got it!" Azarenka said after the match.

She followed that effort with her first career appearance in the Australian Open fourth round where she took the first set from eventual-champion Serena Williams, 6-3, before retiring with an illness trailing 2-4 in the second set. Though she could not finish the match, in that one set of attacking baseline tennis, Azarenka showed the skills that make her one of tennis' top rising talents. A shift in her mind set and the ability to separate points into solitary moments has helped Azarenka post a 10-1 record this season.

"The way I was thinking on court was very different from before," Azarenka said. "I was playing every point, no matter what happened. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was playing in a final. I was thinking it was a regular match, regular points. There weren't any nerves."

Azarenka partnered compatriot Max Mirnyi to capture the 2007 US Open mixed doubles championship and left an impression on her partner.

"Victoria is a hard worker, she's always trying to improve and she certainly is talented," Mirnyi said. "If she continues to work hard I think you will see her get better and better."

The 5-foot-10 Azarenka won the 2005 Australian Open and US Open junior championships and completed that season as the ITF junior World No. 1. Success at the junior level does not necessarily translate to the pro circuit. Since 1997, only one girl who has held the ITF girls' year-end top spot 2001 ITF year-end No. 1 Svetlana Kuznetsova has gone on to win a professional Grand Slam singles title. In the span, only Kuznetsova and Jelena Dokic, the 1998 ITF junior year-end No. 1 player, have cracked the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour's top 10.

Several coaches believe the 14th-ranked Azarenka has the ability to be a top-10 player, perhaps as soon as this summer. 

"Azarenka hits big from both sides, she has a very good serve, and moves well for a tall girl," legendary coach Nick Bollettieri said. "If you give Azarenka too many defensive balls, you're in trouble because she knows how to finish points."

Azarenka is seeded second at this week's Regions Morgan Keegan Championships & Cellular South Cup in Memphis where she's reached the quarterfinals with a pair of straight-sets victories. She is partnering Caroline Wozniacki in the doubles draw and the pair could meet in the singles final.   

Tennis Week caught up with her for this interview.

Tennis Week: Victoria, who did you like to watch when you were growing up?

Victoria Azarenka: Steffi Graf was my favorite player since I was a very young girl. I always enjoyed watching her, I loved her game, the way she played and how focused she was on the court. I also liked the way she behaved on court. So I always liked Steffi and was very happy I had the opportunity to play with her in an exhibition once. It was an unbelievable opportunity.

Tennis Week: How did you prepare for this season during the offseason?

Victoria Azarenka: I feel like I really tried to take the time to improve in the offseason. I spent a lot of time training both on the court and off the court. I feel stronger now. I worked a lot on my fitness so I feel I can play four or five matches in a row at a pretty high level now. I think that's the main thing: all the work you put in in the offseason makes you stronger and gives you a little more confidence that you can play very hard match after match and still stay strong.

Tennis Week: You broke through to win your first career title in Brisbane in January. How did your experience of playing in four prior finals prepare you for the Brisbane final and did you approach it any differently than your prior finals?

Victoria Azarenka: The experience of playing in those finals definitely helps. Of course, you always want to win, but sometimes you want to win so badly it can almost work against you. So the way I was thinking on court was very different from before. I wasn't trying to think 'This is another final, this is a big opportunity.' Instead, I was playing every point, no matter what happened. I wasn't thinking about the fact that I was playing in a final. I was thinking it was a regular match, regular points. There weren't any nerves. I think that helped me win it because I just stayed really focused on every point. Also, I had two tough matches in the earlier rounds there (beating Jarmila Gajdosova, 7-6(4), 7-5 and Lucie Safarova, 7-6(5), 6-4). I had to fight hard to win those matches so I tried to keep that mentality when I played the final. It's the last match so you have to give everything you have and stay positive no matter what. I was very, very happy to win my first title there. It feels great to finally do it.

Tennis Week: How do you prepare mentally before a match? What do you do while you're waiting to go on court?

Victoria Azarenka: I like to read so I'll try to read a book. I listen to music. I like hip hop and R & B so usually I just try to sit quietly, think about what type of match I want to play and either read or listen to music to kind of relax.

Tennis Week: What's your biggest weapon on court?

Victoria Azarenka: I think my backhand is my best shot. That's the shot I feel really comfortable hitting, but I'm really working on all my shots.

Tennis Week: Among the current players, who do you admire?

Victoria Azarenka: I like Roger Federer for his professionalism on and off the court and for how he treats people and how much respect he has for the sport.

Tennis Week: You're already in the top 20, what's your ultimate goal?

Victoria Azarenka: Well, like so many players I would like to win a Grand Slam title someday and try to get to No. 1. That's really what everyone works toward so that's what I would like to try to achieve. I know it's a lot of hard work and takes time, but that's the ultimate goal. That's really one of the great things about tennis: no matter who you are or where you are ranked you can always work hard and improve and that's what I'm trying to do.

Offline Clay Death

• Tennis God
« Reply #292 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:06 PM »
great stuff on Victoria.

vamos victoria.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2009, 12:23:35 AM »

And why is that????

Unfortunately its because I'm finding it increasingly difficult by the day to just to get on the Internet now what with life away from here for me. So really only able to keep upto date with my girls and then a couple of my big interests away from the tenniss section. Other than that I've very little time  :( and the way things seem to be going thats only going to get worse from a point of view here but nice in some personal aspects away from here  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:12:43 AM by Chris1987 »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2009, 01:13:54 AM »
Thursday, February 19, 2009

Stadium (from 10.00hrs)
1. Parmentier vs. Azarenka

Just 8 games dropped in 2 matches so far for Victoria and today she'll look for a place in the last 4 :cheer: :cheer:

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
Vika is the favorite in Memphis! This should be her 2nd title of the season!  :)
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »
Victoria into the Semi Finals after a 6/4, 6/2 win today :yahoo: :grind dance: :applause:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
Well seems like she's on her way to another title (fingers crossed).

Chris, sorry you won't be posting much.  You KNOW I will miss you!  Try to get here as often as you can though! ;-()

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »
Well seems like she's on her way to another title (fingers crossed).

Chris, sorry you won't be posting much.  You KNOW I will miss you!  Try to get here as often as you can though! ;-()

2 more wins Dallas and it'll be title number 2 :grind dance:

I'll do my best to be here whenever I can Dallas- and I know you'll miss me  :friends: Whenever my girls are playing I'll always try to be around somewhere  :)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:55 AM »
Just a couple of images so far from Memphis of Victoria- these 2 from her quarter finals match yesterday  :)