Author Topic: THE VICTORIA AZARENKA THREAD- Facts, Articles, Pictures, anything!!  (Read 121864 times)

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
Re: THE VICTORIA AZARENKA THREAD- Facts, Articles, Pictures, anything!!
« Reply #3140 on: June 29, 2011, 02:33:10 PM »
Victoria will open things up tomorrow on Centre Court at 1pm against Czech Petra Kvitova with Victoria playing for a chance to reach her firstever Grand Slam Final.

GO GO GO VICTORIA!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3141 on: June 30, 2011, 11:15:22 AM »
But for Victoria though so so sad for her not to have taken a real opportunity to make the Final and for me to have my absolute dream :( :( :( But its even more sad really that Victoria had very little impact on that match as it was all Kvitova who time and time again was deciding the outcome of points. That's what I said before the match is the problem when you go up against Kvitova and maybe Victoria should have gone for her shots a little more and looked to try and dominate more rather than it all being on Kvitova's racquet but thats not easy when you are playing such a streaky like player in Kvitova who gives you absolutely no rhythm at all and is the 1 calling the shots in 98% of the matches she'll play. That 1st set was complete evidence of this as Victoria was helpless to the onslaught but then the 2nd set was the complete reversal as Vika stayed solid but Kvitova began missing and usually when that girl misses she misses home run style and she did just that. But then the keywas the start of the 3rd set where Victoria just had to keep things close and not let Kvitova get away by keeping things even early but that didn't happen and Kvitova got the early break. Then with that lefty serve it was always going to be tough but Vika had some chances and 1/8 breakpoint chances tells a big story as does Kvitova hitting 40 winners to 10 from Vika, that's hard to be able to win when you're an offensive player like Vika. Kvitova took the match 6/1, 3/6, 6/2 and I really feel her Grand Slam Semi experience helped her from last year whereas that's something Vika can take from here and look to improve on next time she plays a Grand Slam Semi Final.

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3142 on: June 30, 2011, 11:19:43 AM »
Petra Kvitova plays a screamer to send Victoria Azarenka packing :( :( :(

Petra Kvitova today reached her first Grand Slam final after beating Victoria Azarenka 6-1, 3-6, 6-2 at Wimbledon. The No8 seed edged a match which ebbed and flowed before she triumphed in one hour and 44 minutes on Centre Court.

Kvitova knocked Azarenka out of last year's Championships and repeated the feat after a nervy encounter in which she survived a second-set fightback from her fellow 21-year-old.

The Czech Republic left-hander said: "I am so happy and don't really believe I am in the final. I started off very well. At the beginning of the first set it was close but all match it was about the serve and I am very happy my serve was so good in the third set.

"I met Martina Navratilova in the locker room and she is great - she wished me luck for this match and it was very nice to speak with her. Now I can't believe I am one step away from being Wimbledon champion."

Having beaten Azarenka - whose play was again punctuated by the deafening grunts that have been a talking point at this tournament - Kvitova will now play Maria Sharapova in Saturday's final, after the Russian beat Sabine Lisicki. A Sharapova v Azarenka clash would have had the crowd covering their ears, given both players' inability to stay silent on court.

Azarenka forced a break point in today's opening game as the Belarusian looked to impose herself on proceedings but after Kvitova dug herself out of trouble, she went on to dominate the first set in a manner few predicted.

The pair exchanged holds before Kvitova took charge. Her powerful hitting from the baseline began rushing Azarenka into errors and the fourth game provided a perfect example.

Kvitova consistently found an almost perfect length on her groundstrokes and she hit three in succession to force Azarenka into a mis-hit forehand to concede a 3-1 advantage.

The break seemed to free Kvitova even further as she backed up some accurate serving with fearless hitting and after extended her lead with a hard-fought service hold, she secured a double break of serve.

Azarenka was struggling to find any base from which to find a way into the match as even her first serve came back with ferocious power. A superb backhand return again rushed Azarenka, who pushed a forehand wide to mirror the previous break.

Kvitova could hardly have served out the set in more devastating fashion as she began with three successive aces and then Azarenka could only net a backhand volley to conclude the opener in just 27 minutes.

After beating Tsvetana Pironkova, of Bulgaria, in the quarter-finals, Kvitova admitted her mind wandered during the second set at the prospect of reaching the last four and it appeared the same affliction blighted her again.

The transformation was staggering. Azarenka won the first six points of the second set as Kvitova suddenly looked sluggish with the power drained from her groundstrokes while Azarenka sought to improve her consistency.

Nerves seemingly crept into Kvitova's game as Azarenka threatened on the next two service games but she saved three break points to force her opponent to close out the set.

Azarenka did so to level the match after a set in which she registered just one unforced error and had increased the points won on first serve from 36 per cent to 80 per cent.

But Kvitova rallied once again and found the determination to go for her shots once more, breaking Azarenka in the second game of the decider before producing a gutsy hold in the following game having been taken to deuce. Her next hold was even more impressive. Azarenka produced a superb forehand lob and a crosscourt winner on successive points to create two opportunities to break but Kvitova saved both before getting out of the game with an ace.

It was a blow from which Azarenka would not recover. Kvitova forced a match point on Azarenka's serve at 5-2 only to falter.

But she would not be denied at the second time of asking as Azarenka served a double fault to hand her opponent victory.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3143 on: June 30, 2011, 11:21:34 AM »
Kvitova makes Wimbledon final after silencing Azarenka  :( :( :(

Eighth-seeded Czech Petra Kvitova showed the greater will, ambition and control of her nerves to overcome Victoria Azarenka 6-1 3-6 6-2 in a topsy-turvy encounter at Wimbledon on Thursday as she reached her first grand slam final.

The Czech, a beaten semi-finalist last year, dominated the first set but then lost her way as the Belarussian fourth seed took the second in her first grand slam semi-final appearance after four previous last-eight defeats.

Kvitova, however, continued to go for her shots and came back strongly to take the third and become the first left hander to make the Wimbledon women's final since Martina Navratilova, present at Thursday's match, in 1994.

"I can't say anything, I'm so happy," said Kvitova, who will face Maria Sharapova in Saturday's final after the 2004 champion beat German wild card Sabine Lisicki in straight sets.

Kvitova -- who beat Azarenka last year during her unexpected run to the semis when she was ranked 62nd -- was far more aggressive throughout the first set, going for the lines and taking risks while Azarenka was content to wait for errors.

SUCCESSIVE ACES

It proved a successful tactic for the Czech, who took control and finished it off in style with three successive aces, chalking up the first set after only 27 minutes of action.

In the second set Azarenka finally began to display the form that has brought her so much success this year and lifted her to fourth in the world rankings, while Kvitova's radar suddenly went awry and her game became littered with mistakes.

It was a tense encounter with the crowd struggling to lift themselves but they had a moment of light relief when Azarenka, assailing their eardrums with her trademark screech, complained to the umpire about noise from a nearby errant alarm.

Oblivious to the irony, she got over the distraction and, having broken for a 2-0 lead, cashed in on Kvitova's ragged shots to level the contest between the two 21-year-olds.

Kvitova, bidding to be the first Czech in the final since Jana Novotna in 1998, got herself together again for the third set and took advantage of some poor Azarenka serving to break for a 2-0 lead.

The Belarussian's big chance to hit back came when she was 3-1 down and her opponent was 15-40 on serve but Kvitova, who served solidly through the final set, saved the break points and won the game.

Kvitova missed her first match point when a return, not for the first time, floated long but she won it on her second courtesy of an Azarenka double fault.

"I started really well, all match it was about serve so I was happy mine went well in the third set," Kvitova told a news conference.

"In the beginning it was close but after I broke her, I played well and she was a little bit down I think.

"She played very well in the second set and it was tough after that but I tried to play it as if it was a normal game and not the Wimbledon semi-final."

Azarenka had few complaints about the result and said she felt Kvitova had a chance of another upset in the final.

"I probably could have played better but when I had chances, she really came up with the good stuff," she said.

"I think she can beat anybody any day, because right now she has a really good game. She's really going for it. If she's going to play like this, like she played today, I'm sure she has all the chances to win the next match."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3144 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:30 AM »
Petra Kvitova beats Victoria Azarenka and books place in final :( :( :(

21-year-old beats No4 seed 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
'I don't believe I'm in the final at Wimbledon' says Czech

Petra Kvitova is through to her first grand slam final, after beating Victoria Azarenka in three sets, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. The Czech 21-year-old is the first left-handed player to reach a Wimbledon ladies singles final since her compatriot and idol Martina Navratilova in 1994.

Kvitova the No8 seed, who this time last year was ranked No62 in the world before taking the sport by storm to reach a semi-final at Wimbledon against Serena Williams having never previously won a game on grass, looked indomitable in the first set against the Belarusian No4 seed Azarenka. Even the sound of an alarm going off halfway through the first set failed to disrupt the Czech player who pinged two aces, before finally waiting for the noise to end.

Azarenka, who almost quit the sport earlier this year out of frustration having made four grand slam quarter-finals in two years but failing to progress any further, looked a different player in the second set suddenly taking control of the game. The left-handed serves that she had struggled to return against Kvitova in the first set suddenly became manageable and the 21-year-old broke her opponent's serve at the first time of asking, well as racking up additional break points in two further games in the set.

Kvitova, though, was reluctant to let the opportunity to slide and her serve returned with a vengeance in the third set, breaking Azarenka in the second game and holding her own service game to go 3-0 up. The Belorussian attempted a comeback in the fifth game but, crucially, Kvitova held serve despite being down 15-40, to stretch her lead to 4-1 and cruise into the final - Azarenka gifting her match point after serving up a double fault.

"I can't say anything, I'm so happy," said Kvitova, one hand over her mouth in disbelief. "I don't believe I'm in the final at Wimbledon."

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3145 on: June 30, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
Kvitova outguns Azarenka
Czech left-hander into first grand slam final after three-set win
:( :( :(

Petra Kvitova moved into her first grand slam final as she got the better of Victoria Azarenka in three sets to win their Wimbledon semi-final 6-1 3-6 6-2 on Centre Court.

The eighth seed will now face the winner of the second semi, between Maria Sharapova and Sabine Lisicki, in Saturday's final at SW19.

It was an impressive performance by the Czech left-hander who, after a stunning first-set display, came back from a blip in the second to dominate the decider.

The end when it came was slightly anticlimactic as Azarenka surrendered to Kvitova's second match point with a double-fault, but the 21-year-old emerged a deserved victor after just under an hour and three-quarters on court.

Kvitova looked to be suffering from a few early nerves and was forced to fend off a break point in her first service game.

But having done so she quickly established a stranglehold on proceedings and broke Azarenka for the first time in the fourth game - even a fire alarm going off just outside the court failing to shift her focus.

Azarenka had fought back from 40-0 down to deuce in the fifth game which featured the alarm, but Kvitova held her off to move 4-1 up.
One-way traffic

A second break of serve duly followed and the eighth seed then produced three aces to serve out the set, clinching it 6-1 in just 27 minutes.

To her credit, Azarenka - the highest-ranked player left in the tournament - began her fightback by breaking Kvitova at the start of the second set.

She then saved a break-back point in the third game, Kvitova sending a backhand long, but despite that opportunity the momentum definitely appeared to have swung.

Indeed, the Czech - a semi-finalist 12 months ago - had to battle hard to prevent herself from falling a double-break down.

Azarenka did not require the second break, though, as she stayed strong on her own delivery to level the match.

But having kept her hopes alive, the Belarusian seemed to switch off at the start of the third set and Kvitova took advantage with an early break to steam into a 3-0 lead.

Azarenka had two points to get the set back on serve in the fifth game but both were saved by Kvitova, the second with a trademark forehand winner.

From that point Kvitova was not troubled again and - although she missed her first match point at 2-5, framing the ball long - she was gifted the match by her opponent at the second time of asking.

Kvitova becomes the first Czech player since Jana Novotna in 1998 to reach a Wimbledon singles final.

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3146 on: June 30, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Some pictures of Victoria from her Wimbledon Semi Finals defeat :( :( :(

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3147 on: June 30, 2011, 11:26:09 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3148 on: June 30, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3149 on: June 30, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3150 on: June 30, 2011, 11:27:14 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3151 on: June 30, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3152 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:18 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3153 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:48 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3154 on: June 30, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3155 on: June 30, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3156 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3157 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3158 on: June 30, 2011, 11:30:49 AM »

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
« Reply #3159 on: June 30, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »