Author Topic: Barack to the Future!  (Read 6298 times)

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Barack to the Future!
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »
It's a new world out there.  You know, Global and all.... Bush failed to realize that with computers and technology, we need to do things differently to thrive as a nation.  Obama understands more of the intricacies of this new, high-tech world and will move us in a forward-thinking direction, which will allow us to compete with China, India, and other developing nations who realize that this new technology will change everything.  Those who can adapt will thrive, those who can not will stagnate.  Bush and his crew failed to move us forward in any way, including education, computer technology for all, and green science.  Obama seems to understand these important issues.  That's why I'm glad we have him. 

I'd rather put a math book or a computer in a child's hand rather that a gun.

That's just psycho babble. It's meaningless.
You want us to be able to compete with China and India. But the people Obama is bringing into his cabinet, are teh same people who created that "giant sucking sound" which allowed American companies to send manufactureing to China and India.
Both Republicans and Democrates are to blame for that fact. But it was Clinton's administration who really sold us down the river.
You say we need to compete with China. I say these are the very people that gave China the wherewithall to take nearly all of our manufacturing jobs. They allowed China to compete with us.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
It's a new world out there.  You know, Global and all.... Bush failed to realize that with computers and technology, we need to do things differently to thrive as a nation.  Obama understands more of the intricacies of this new, high-tech world and will move us in a forward-thinking direction, which will allow us to compete with China, India, and other developing nations who realize that this new technology will change everything.  Those who can adapt will thrive, those who can not will stagnate.  Bush and his crew failed to move us forward in any way, including education, computer technology for all, and green science.  Obama seems to understand these important issues.  That's why I'm glad we have him. 

You want us to be able to compete with China and India. But the people Obama is bringing into his cabinet, are teh same people who created that "giant sucking sound" which allowed American companies to send manufactureing to China and India.
Both Republicans and Democrates are to blame for that fact. But it was Clinton's administration who really sold us down the river.
You say we need to compete with China. I say these are the very people that gave China the wherewithall to take nearly all of our manufacturing jobs. They allowed China to compete with us.
BINGO!
We have a winner!
CONK da ball!!!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 01:23:39 PM »
1.  I don't have blog.  Sad that you think this is a laughing matter. :(

2.  Interesting that a self-proclaimed 'progressive, liberal' would be in favor of limiting the powers of the minority. :confused1:

3.  Only people that would like to retain their rights as individuals should be 'worried' or 'freaking out'.  Someone choosing to 'flex thieir considerable muscle' under
     the guise of 'We the People' will have to be careful that they continue to follow along with the rest of the lemmings lest their interests fall out of favor
     with those of their fellow comrades.   That should be relatively easy for someone like you Babble, you seem to get along great with everybody! :\

1. You/Rs make us  :rofl_2:

2. The "minority" party is the tool of the power elite, guy.

3. Who lost their civil rights?  :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: @ ^^^^^
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:14 PM »
1.  I don't have blog.  Sad that you think this is a laughing matter. :(

2.  Interesting that a self-proclaimed 'progressive, liberal' would be in favor of limiting the powers of the minority. :confused1:

3.  Only people that would like to retain their rights as individuals should be 'worried' or 'freaking out'.  Someone choosing to 'flex thieir considerable muscle' under
     the guise of 'We the People' will have to be careful that they continue to follow along with the rest of the lemmings lest their interests fall out of favor
     with those of their fellow comrades.   That should be relatively easy for someone like you Babble, you seem to get along great with everybody! :\

1. You/Rs make us  :rofl_2:

2. The "minority" party is the tool of the power elite, guy.

3. Who lost their civil rights?  :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: @ ^^^^^
2.  Even when it's the Dems?
3.  It's coming down the pipe now.
4.  I'm glad you find this entertaining! :\
CONK da ball!!!

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »

Wrong!  Thanks for playing, though.  Don't forget your parting gifts on the way out.   

India and China are competing with us because their children value education more than ours do!  They value math and science, while we watch wrestling and sitcoms.  They are also doing better work than we do for much less!  If we are to continue to thrive as a country, we need to CATCH BACK UP in terms of brains.  Frankly, right now, they are outdoing us in some pretty important areas.  We can blame our people, companies, and politicians all we want, but this will not change unless we do something to increase the skills of our people.  After all, this is how CAPITALISM works, right?  That's the American way.  Now go educate your kids.  :rofl_2:
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »

Wrong!  Thanks for playing, though.  Don't forget your parting gifts on the way out.   

India and China are competing with us because their children value education more than ours do!  They value math and science, while we watch wrestling and sitcoms.  They are also doing better work than we do for much less!  If we are to continue to thrive as a country, we need to CATCH BACK UP in terms of brains.  Frankly, right now, they are outdoing us in some pretty important areas.  We can blame our people, companies, and politicians all we want, but this will not change unless we do something to increase the skills of our people.  After all, this is how CAPITALISM works, right?  That's the American way.  Now go educate your kids.  :rofl_2:

Not wrong, just not 100% right. Of course education is important. But that's not something that only the government can fix. It has to be fixed by fixing the family home. It's family values that we have thrown to the wolves that the Chinese and Indians espouse, and the break down of our own family structure that has caused these problems.
There are many examples of states where the education budget is high, but the resulting grades are low. Money and government aren't the answer, or at least not the ONLY answer. I had this discussion with a Japanese college student when I was in college. She said she was amazed that in the family she was staying with the center of a childs room in the US was the bed. While in Japan the center of the children's room is the desk. The better the student, the better the desk. It's a status symbol. It's a mindset, and cultural priorities that makes them more focused on education, not any government initiative.
Meanwhile we preach cultural freedom and anything goes. Just let the kids be, and they will find their way. We can't let them fail so don't put pressure on them or they will feel bad.
But if you think superior education is what is driving American companies to manufacture goods in China, India and Mexico, you are sadly mistaken. It's the bottom line. The almighty dollar. Cost of labor. Period. That's why Ipods and Iphones are being made in China. Young Chinese living and working 12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week in large manufacturing complexes outside of Shanghai for peanuts. That is what is sucking jobs overseas.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »

Not wrong, just not 100% right. Of course education is important. But that's not something that only the government can fix. It has to be fixed by fixing the family home. It's family values that we have thrown to the wolves that the Chinese and Indians espouse, and the break down of our own family structure that has caused these problems.
There are many examples of states where the education budget is high, but the resulting grades are low. Money and government aren't the answer, or at least not the ONLY answer. I had this discussion with a Japanese college student when I was in college. She said she was amazed that in the family she was staying with the center of a childs room in the US was the bed. While in Japan the center of the children's room is the desk. The better the student, the better the desk. It's a status symbol. It's a mindset, and cultural priorities that makes them more focused on education, not any government initiative.
Meanwhile we preach cultural freedom and anything goes. Just let the kids be, and they will find their way. We can't let them fail so don't put pressure on them or they will feel bad.
But if you think superior education is what is driving American companies to manufacture goods in China, India and Mexico, you are sadly mistaken. It's the bottom line. The almighty dollar. Cost of labor. Period. That's why Ipods and Iphones are being made in China. Young Chinese living and working 12 hour days, 6 or 7 days a week in large manufacturing complexes outside of Shanghai for peanuts. That is what is sucking jobs overseas.

You are right about that, it is all about the bottom line.  But that is a result of capitalism, right?  I do think it is true that we are being left behind when it comes to the important subjects like math and science.  We are also being outdone in most high tech areas.  These factors combined with lower costs are causing big problems here in the US.  So, I guess greed made us great, and greed is now hurting us.  One thing that we do have is good creative ideas and people who still know how to think outside the box.  If I'm a small (or large) company, who not use cheap labor if they can do the same or better job for a fraction of the cost.  That's just good business.  It's a tough situation and one that I don't have a good solution to.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

You are right about that, it is all about the bottom line.  But that is a result of capitalism, right?  I do think it is true that we are being left behind when it comes to the important subjects like math and science.  We are also being outdone in most high tech areas.  These factors combined with lower costs are causing big problems here in the US.  So, I guess greed made us great, and greed is now hurting us.  One thing that we do have is good creative ideas and people who still know how to think outside the box.  If I'm a small (or large) company, who not use cheap labor if they can do the same or better job for a fraction of the cost.  That's just good business.  It's a tough situation and one that I don't have a good solution to.

I would amend this. Ambition made us great. Complacency and greed have begun our downfall. It's not too late to turn it around, but it may impossible to change our mindset, and make that happen. Well, maybe we need a few more financial disasters to change it.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2009, 07:53:37 PM »

I would amend this. Ambition made us great. Complacency and greed have begun our downfall. It's not too late to turn it around, but it may impossible to change our mindset, and make that happen. Well, maybe we need a few more financial disasters to change it.

OK...I'll give you this - ambition made us great, greed made us rich!   :)