Author Topic: NCode  (Read 4345 times)

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
NCode
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 06:55:16 AM »
Quote from: "thejackal"

BTW she also has "power holes" on the grommets, which the N3 does not.

All Ncodes are supposed to have power holes on them. And besides, it says that she is using it on this article: http://www.wilson.com/wilson/articles/pressRelease_article.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198673949488&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302525221&bmUID=1115207682670
Be the change that you seek.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 07:38:09 AM »
And, again, it makes sense that they use paintjobs.  If not for the existence of paintjobs, Roger F's played with 4 or 5 different rackets in the past 6 years, which could be career suicide, or at least the squandering of an entire year, for a pro tennis player.  These guys play for a living, and they're going to play with the racket they're used to, not the one with the cool new look.  Personally, I think this practice crosses the line between understandable sales hyperbole and outright lie.  Oh well.

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 07:53:45 AM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
Quote from: "thejackal"

BTW she also has "power holes" on the grommets, which the N3 does not.

All Ncodes are supposed to have power holes on them. And besides, it says that she is using it on this article:
The word on the street is that like NJ Tennis suggested, Serena, after using a complete paintjob for a while (she never used a real n6) is using a custom made n3.  It's said that her powerholes are in different spots than the off the shelf n3's, in the same spot as the 6.4 Powerhole racket she was previously using.  That in addition to the denser string pattern.  

As for Lindsay, she's using a paintjob.  I wouldn't go by what the Wilson website says.  

One of the more obnoxious paintjobs out there is the Safin Liquidmetal charade, as the shape of his racket completely gives away that it's a Prestige Classic.

Guest_George

NCode
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 08:43:25 AM »
why should somebody use an exact replica of a pro ? I realy don't see the point... These guys are customising their rackets to suit their game... A serious tennis player, would buy a racket based on his/her style of play and if required further he/she would further customise it.

It's only hardcore fans, kids, or simply brainless people who think that by buying Serena's/ Roddick's/ or who-ever's racket, will then be able to hit the ball like pros do... Conserve your fan energy and maybe use it for practising, maybe then you will be abple to hit descent shots...

friendly...

George

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
NCode
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 08:53:36 AM »
I could never understand why someone would buy a racquet because a pro uses it either.  You gotta go with what works well for you.  I am sure in some instances it works out though.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 09:28:34 AM »
^  There's a lot about human nature that doesn't make sense, but in the end people base their decisions on all types of irrelevant factors and nobody understands this better than the advertising agencies.  They're not paying celebrities millions to endorse their products for nothing.  Do people really believe George Foreman is an expert on indoor grilling?  I hope not.  

It almost works in the same way as Pavlov's dogs.  We associate certain people with certain qualities, and when said person endorses a product or service, their qualities lend themselves to what they're endorsing.  You get OJ Simpson to be in your commercial for health insurance, you immediately don't trust the company.  You get Morgan Freeman or Andy Griffith to endorse the same company, and of the sudden you feel positively about it.  

So if people will buy a certain kind of underwear because Michael Jordan says to, then it's no mystery why people will buy a racket simply because Federer uses it.  Michael Jordan is no expert on men's brief's, but most would think Federer knows about tennis.  Because when you think of Federer you think of grace, power, and control, and so you project all those qualities to the racket he's holding, the racket being a figurative extension of his hand, of Roger himself.  And on an even more basic level, if that racket is being used by the world's best player, than it must be the best racket out there.  Same thing with Tiger's golf balls.    

Yes, I'm freakin' bored.

Offline timd818

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 12:24:48 PM »
If I hadn't bought 3 Rok rackets, I would have gotten the one Fed is "supposedly" using right now.
Some rackets just feels right when you're holding it. For me, it's always been Wilson.
Isn't Serena's racket a "tweaker"? If it is, I don't see why she would need something like that.
She can generate her own power, it's the control she's missing.
I've been a tennis bum for half my life.
I'll just be a bum for the other half.

Offline ImaMadGoat

• Tennis Addict
NCode
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 01:04:23 PM »
Yeah I fell prey to that whole use what the pros use crap for a while. I used an i.Radical for about 6 months. After I broke all my strings and couldn't get it restrung right away I picked up an old Pro Kennex Composite Prophecy (about 1.5 ounces heavier) and I liked. So I start researching the heavier sticks and found that everyone really like the PS 6.1 Classic 95. I picked that up and fell in love with it. I've bought 2 since that time and am loving it.

I'm glad that the n-6 one 95 is so similar to the 6.1 classic, or so I've heard.

I asked my coach the other day if he had gotten a chance to hit with the new flexpoints and he said no but they're all made in the same place. Each company sends a schematic of a racquet to some place in China and its made there.

He also told me theres a place here in the US where you go for a week. It costs 5000 dollars but they will cater a custom racquet specifically to you. The exact grip size, head size, swingweight, all that jazz.

He said the pro's all have their sticks customized for them, there is no way in hell they play with what we pick up at the store.
Constant Improvement, Relentless Effort.

http://www.3wisefools.com - The culmination of ridiculous banter and serious discussion.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 03:52:43 PM »
The place that your coach is talking about is Bostworth.  They made Navratilova's rackets.  Brenda McCarthy also had one in the serve section of Tennis in March.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 05:01:25 PM »
I get my sticks customized at Racquet Maxx, their in Alabama but you can mail your sticks to them and based on your preferences and play style they will customize your stick. They do a really good job with mine and they are way cheaper then $5000 a week.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
NCode
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2005, 05:10:18 PM »
Quote from: "Tennis4you"
I could never understand why someone would buy a racquet because a pro uses it either.  You gotta go with what works well for you.  I am sure in some instances it works out though.

Are you Kidding me!!!! I make it work for me! I have the Hyper hammer that Serena won the us open with. And I would kill to have an N3, even though the N4 or N1 meets my specifications very well.

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
NCode
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2005, 05:27:38 PM »
Quote from: "wilsonboy"
Quote from: "Tennis4you"

Are you Kidding me!!!! I make it work for me! I have the Hyper hammer that Serena won the us open with. And I would kill to have an N3, even though the N4 or N1 meets my specifications very well.

If you think getting what Serena *supposedly* uses makes you a better player, then you're in for a rough surprise.  Then again, if you really do like the frames and they fit your game well, then more power to you.
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
NCode
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2005, 05:41:26 PM »
I didn't say that I use because it will make me better. I am just a Serena freak. I look at it this way: since someone said that I play like her, I thought "why not?" Shouldn't I get it also. And it does suit me very well. I love a lot of controlled power.

MC ill Guest

NCode
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 06:28:48 PM »
Quote from: "timd818"
If I hadn't bought 3 Rok rackets, I would have gotten the one Fed is "supposedly" using right now.
Some rackets just feels right when you're holding it. For me, it's always been Wilson.
Isn't Serena's racket a "tweaker"? If it is, I don't see why she would need something like that.
She can generate her own power, it's the control she's missing.
I heard commentators talking about this during a match, a Serena match no less, and they said that in the WTA it's all about power.  For somebody like Serena, she's willing to accept the extra unforced errors in order to generate the type of power on her serve and groundstrokes that draws weak replies.  The men can generate their own power and want control, but for somebody like Serena, she's not necessarily trying to out-strategize her opponents, just blast them off the court.