Author Topic: Shanytc's Tennis Journal - A diamond in the rough.  (Read 6696 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: Shanytc's Tennis Journal - A diamond in the rough.
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »
Did enjoy, thanks. But I was already tired after my hit today and now feel even more exhausted after reading about your great stuff.
An early nigt tonight, me thinks.
Keep it up!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »
Sounds like you're making nice progress Shany!
Always a good idea to exchange contact info with other players you meet on the courts. 
Keep up the hard work. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Shanytc

• Tennis Player
  • Chase those yellow tennis balls!
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
Hey all,

Damn, last time I updated my journal was almost exactly a year ago!
I can't believe how time fly by!

The reason I was not able to write in my journal was because I have had a surgery at the end of July last year, and I was unable to do anything almost 7-8 months later (grounded to bed and movements were very limited). For those who wants to know: no, the surgery didn't succeed and it was actually better NOT to do it...

So anyway, I am currently slowly rebuilding my strength, skills, reducing weight and what not so that my tennis will return to the previous state.
I started not so long ago (few weeks) to return to tennis (me against the wall) and I find it hard to do everything from the beginning! But I can make it, and I will write my progress again through out my sessions.

I will reset my Days count (for those who used to follow, i posted a days counts).

First Day
I was really afraid to do tennis after such long time, I didn't know how the body will react to the higher pace of motion (running, quick stepping, bending, arm swinging), So I restrained my self not to do much of a work out, just limit my motions.

Second Day
A bit better, I practiced my forearm swing, not running a lot (if at all), and just moving around the court not chasing balls around.

* I signed up for the gym, and I slowly began running on the running machine, sometimes small period of times sometimes a bit longer, while walking most of the times

3rd Day
Added more running, arm swinging are much better, chasing the balls a bit around the court.

4th Day
More running, actually much better, I started adding my Noturyo (Playing with my left hand [I'm right handed] - forehand), so I'm slowly regaining back my technique.
Training days sometimes are hard because of lack of speed and extra weight (I gained 10kg during my 1 year zombie-bed-mode  :yuk:)
I started to practice servings again, damn! I forgot how hard it is :mad1:

5th Day
Pace is much better, chasing the balls are easier and I can now run. I started practicing Noturyo backhand! and now hitting the balls are way better (forehand/backhand).
I did more serving practice and things look very nice now! Though far far farrrrr from perfect.

* All trainings up to now were against the wall, I did not have any friend with me while training so that makes things harder since the training is different.

* I decided to bring mini-stereo jukebox with me to the tennis court! Nothing like a good tennis practice under the sounds of Heavy Metal & Rock n' Roll!!  :whistle: :whistle:

Here are my goals for 2010:
1. Loose all the gained weight -> 10kg, i am now around 85Kg, 1.73 height, weight goal: 74kg
2. Have a complete control over servings or at least have the ability to serve without out-court areas
3. Complete my full control over Nutoryo (backhand+forehand on my left hand)
4. Get a Tennis player card
5. Enter a real local/national competition and enjoy the game(s)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:17:45 AM by Shanytc »
- Shanytc -

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2010, 04:36:11 PM »
Sorry to hear the surgery was not a success, but it is great to hear from you again.  I am sure you are pumped to be back on the court.  I am nursing a sprained ankle for the last 2.5 weeks, hopefully I will be back hitting a few balls next week.  Until then I am living in the weight room.  :)

Great to see you around!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Shanytc

• Tennis Player
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
Wow,
long time no write!

Well, it's winter, and I won't be able to to do any kind of practice until the sun will come out in 2 months (although, there is no real winter, here in Israel).

But, another thing that bothers me, and makes my Tennis progression, is that I got Hernia now (after my surgery, my body was week, and since I couldn't sit regularly,  I had to stand [during bus ride] which causes Hernia on my left groin).

Right now, I give my body rest, and do Aikido, 1 time a week and re-started gym (no running).
I do not think I want a Hernia operation, and I guess without operation, the body will not be able to fix it, so I don't know what to do.

So, my Tennis, is at halt now.. which is a shame, since I really wanted to start competing, before this damn Surgery @#$@$@#

Life.. so mysterious!  ://
- Shanytc -

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
I am sorry to read about that.  I am lost if I cannot hit a tennis ball.  :(
My only advice is to let the body take its own time to heal and to get a second opinion before any major surgery. Over here in the US, there are a lot of unnecessary operations, which in the end do more harm than good. But when needed, medical technology is really wonderful these days.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 08:48:11 AM »
I had the hernia surgery a year ago and it was totally worth it and was a piece of cake.  But I know what you are going through, it sucks.

Here's to hoping you hit the courts again soon!!!
Scott Baker

Offline Shanytc

• Tennis Player
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 11:33:13 AM »
Thanks guys,

My hernia (from ultrasound scan) is around 1cm, but I dunno if it suppose to keep on growing throughout the years.. I have no idea how it works  :confused1:

@Tennis4you
Did the operation made it that you can now fully run around without any problem?
- Shanytc -

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 01:12:21 PM »
My hernia was small too.  They thought it was just a sports hernia but when they got me in surgery there actually was a very small hole.

I have no problems now.  I do find the less I play and the less flexible I get the more I might feel it in the lower abdomen.  But it is not pain like before, just a little tight.

I played with the hernia for 6-7 years.  It was gradually getting worse at the end though and making my tennis life rough.  I was to the point I did not want to move at home because it made things ache.  Even laying down stretched me out enough that it ached. 

I would say I am 98% now.  That 2% goes to the little tightness sometimes felt.  But like I said, if I am playing twice a week I never notice it.  The surgery was well worth it.  Everyone I talk to that has a hernia like you and I have all said the surgery was a piece of cake.  I could not lift anything over 10 pounds for 4 weeks.  After 6 I was playing serious tennis again.
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Interesting to read about it in case it ever comes my way.

Good luck, Shanytc. Hope it all gets fixed soon and that you can get back to the court.

Keep us in touch.  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:44:17 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Shanytc

• Tennis Player
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
Thanks guys!

Tennis4you, I wonder if that tightness is due to the 'sheet' of thingi they put inside to cover the hole..
anyway, I'm glad that you're doing fine! keep it up!

euroka1,
as soon as the testicles are hurting for 1-5 days, it's usually the main indicator (mens' body has a flaw in that area due to the tunnel that the testicles need to go down though :) )

I am now returned to the gym, doing mainly long walks on the stepper machine and some weights, nothing serious.
and maybe soon, swimming too.

Yeah, I hope I can return as quickly as possible... but I have my 'second thoughts' about surgery, since I still have that unsuccessful surgery on my lower back (bone tail)... fun times!

but first, return to shape :)
Will keep you guys updated though!
- Shanytc -

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
Testicle pain was abundant for me for sure!  Weights made it worse.  Testicle pain is gone these days and I hope it stays that way.  Dude, the surgery was worth it!!
Scott Baker

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »
Golly  :scared: ! Thank goodness I've avoided that so far.