Author Topic: The New Generation  (Read 604 times)

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
Re: The New Generation
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 03:04:16 AM »
Dmas, I love your point when you said 'they play withing themselves'. It is absolutely true. Very often you'll see some fantastic shots on you tube by Fed, Nole and Rafa but if you actually watch their complete matches they play percentages, they are all calm and they know when to take that risk, and hit a winner out of nowhere. I call that tennis intelligence. Many 'younger' players simply don't have it. You have to be patient and wait for your opportunity if you wish.

New kids still look lost out there. Sure, Fed, Nole and Rafa lose matches here and there but their consistency is out of this world. It might take a long time till we get 3 new champions like them again. I'm looking forward to it, but don't see anybody that strong atm ...

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:17 AM »
I like the phrases yous guys use-
  'cavalier about points'
  'red-lining'
  'playing within yourself'
  'tennis intelligence'

Many players move well and/or have great weapons but I think it's the  mental side of the game that separates the greats from the wannabes.

Perhaps Chang is helping Kei in that department and the best is yet to come for him.
I hold out hope for Milos despite his technical shortcomings.
Jerzy is a nutjob of the highest order, but I love his willingness to move into the forecourt.
I don't expect any of them to achieve 1/10 of what Nadal or Fed has accomplished though. :(

....or Nole!sorry Alex!
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »
Caught the Dimitrov Djokovic match. Though Nole was off his game he had no trouble taking out Dimi. Dimitrov wasn't at his best either so this match didn't really tell much except that Dimi has trouble keeping a high level over time.

Djokovic made some comments on the new guys coming up:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/09/40/Beijing-Friday-Djokovic-reaction.aspx

Grigor Dimitrov, Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic and Ernests Gulbis have all broken into the Top 10 of the Emirates ATP Rankings for the first time this year, and with 26-year-old Marin Cilic claiming victory at the US Open last month, they represent a potential changing of the guard in men's tennis.
Novak Djokovic has other ideas.
"I'll make sure that they don't come (up) any time soon," said the World No. 1 following a 6-2, 6-4 quarter-final defeat of Dimitrov at the China Open. Djokovic improved to 22-0 at the ATP World Tour 500 series event.

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
Caught the Dimitrov Djokovic match. Though Nole was off his game he had no trouble taking out Dimi. Dimitrov wasn't at his best either so this match didn't really tell much except that Dimi has trouble keeping a high level over time.

Djokovic made some comments on the new guys coming up:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/09/40/Beijing-Friday-Djokovic-reaction.aspx

Grigor Dimitrov, Kei Nishikori, Milos Raonic and Ernests Gulbis have all broken into the Top 10 of the Emirates ATP Rankings for the first time this year, and with 26-year-old Marin Cilic claiming victory at the US Open last month, they represent a potential changing of the guard in men's tennis.
Novak Djokovic has other ideas.
"I'll make sure that they don't come (up) any time soon," said the World No. 1 following a 6-2, 6-4 quarter-final defeat of Dimitrov at the China Open. Djokovic improved to 22-0 at the ATP World Tour 500 series event.

Nole just played within himself. Nothing special. I tend to criticize him too much sometimes but he got the job done.

Now that part of his interview when he said 'I'll make sure that they don't come up any time soon', that was really good  :rofl_2:. Too bad he didn't think about it when he lost to Kei at the USO  :whistle:. Well, I can't help it, still love Nole. Women don't like me any more ... I have to love someone  :gleam:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »
Thiem is playing top form Djokovic so it looks like Nole will keep his word about stopping the young guns.

Bad luck for Thiem though being so early in the tournament and anyone else facing this monster

Offline Benny

• Tennis Player
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 07:37:24 PM »
Dominic Thiem made a decent performance against Djokovic. But it's obvious he still has a ways to go.
"Never change a winning game; always change a losing one."
-Bill Tilden

Search List:
Muster vs Stich Davis Cup: Not yet obtained

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 03:00:34 AM »
Dominic Thiem made a decent performance against Djokovic. But it's obvious he still has a ways to go.
He actually did and he tried so hard.

Now, just to piss off MonsterCar Nole played within himself  and his tennis intelligence is very high :rofl_2:.

Also Nole win 10. Why, coz I said so  :)~.

Now, seriously all young 'guns' lost again so what are we talking about here? Raonic gone, Dimi boy toy gone, Key the Samurai gone, Tomic the GOAT gone ...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:07:12 AM by Alex »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »

Now, just to piss off MonsterCar Nole played within himself  and his tennis intelligence is very high :rofl_2:.

Now, seriously all young 'guns' lost again so what are we talking about here? Raonic gone, Dimi boy toy gone, Key the Samurai gone, Tomic the GOAT gone ...
:confused1:
The mental side of the game is where the top 3 and other champions surpass the field.  I would consider Nole one of them.  Once he reigned in his emotions and began to quiet the inner voices his career exploded.

Kei did win the Japan Open, taking out Milos in the final.
He looked truly thrilled to have won for the fans.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 10:14:27 AM »

:confused1:
The mental side of the game is where the top 3 and other champions surpass the field.  I would consider Nole one of them.  Once he reigned in his emotions and began to quiet the inner voices his career exploded.

Kei did win the Japan Open, taking out Milos in the final.
He looked truly thrilled to have won for the fans.
Yes, Kei won Tokyo ... I was talking about Shanghai where all youngsters lost early again in a much harder competition.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »
Interesting topic.  I hope to see Dimitrov making some noise, really just because I enjoy his style of play.  He seems to have all of the shots, so maybe if/when he's able to up the mental side of his game, he'll make a run.  He's had some good results this year, though some bad ones too.

One thing to keep in mind is that (IMO) we've never seen guys who are as consistent as Fed/Rafa/Djokovic, in the history of tennis.  By and large, they simply do not lose to underdogs.  Compared to other greats that I've followed, like Sampras,Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Courier - these 3 are a cut above in terms of consistency.  So maybe it's unrealistic to expect anyone coming up to exhibit this level of consistency.  That's my perception anyway, haven't tried to back it up with any stats. 

Greg
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 11:06:46 PM »
Interesting topic.  I hope to see Dimitrov making some noise, really just because I enjoy his style of play.  He seems to have all of the shots, so maybe if/when he's able to up the mental side of his game, he'll make a run.  He's had some good results this year, though some bad ones too.

One thing to keep in mind is that (IMO) we've never seen guys who are as consistent as Fed/Rafa/Djokovic, in the history of tennis.  By and large, they simply do not lose to underdogs.  Compared to other greats that I've followed, like Sampras,Agassi, Becker, Edberg, Rafter, Courier - these 3 are a cut above in terms of consistency.  So maybe it's unrealistic to expect anyone coming up to exhibit this level of consistency.  That's my perception anyway, haven't tried to back it up with any stats. 

Greg

There's no stats to back it up. You're right that the great players simply don't loose to lesser talent. They prepare like crazy. They put as much work in the non-match play activities as they do in their on court activities. They simply live for tennis. They live to be the best tennis player they can be. It's the most important thing for them.
But I don't see any way to quantify this aspect of a players character. They either get it or they don't. They may have all the talent in the world, see the two French top players, Gasquet, and Monfils, both as talented as the top players, but they like to enjoy life a little more than the top players. They are distracted from tennis. They have great results now and then, then loose early the next tournament or two or three. They are making millions, so who cares. Enjoy life.
Bill Belichick was once asked how he chooses players for the NE Patriots. His #1 thing was, they had to love football. Everything about football. This means putting football over nearly everything else in life. At best they live for getting better as a football player. They may not have the most physical talent, but they have great passion to make themselves better. There's a balance there. Finding a Michael Jordan (cut from his high school BB team, to become one of the greatest players ever), in amongst the hard working talent.
The same can be said of tennis players. The ones who love the sport over all else, and have the requisite talent, work harder than the ones who enjoy "life" over their sport. I think the great ones combine the talent, and the work ethic to maximize that talent. They get the most out of their abilities while they are young, then enjoy the fruits of that labor later in life.
Agassi is an interesting case in that he frittered away his talent for the first ten years of his career (life over career), then maximized every ounce of it for the second decade (career over life).

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
Dimitrov got his spurs handed to him by Berdych.
Another youngin' biting the dust and destined for journeyman status.

Roanic is sitting at #10 in the race and looks to be the only youngin' with a good chance to make the WTF.

http://live-tennis.eu/race

Offline mimi

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
I am not impressed with Raonic's ground stokes and net skills, he also seems to move very slowly ://

BBM: The greatest romantic film of all times

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2014, 04:52:59 AM »
I am not impressed with Raonic's ground stokes and net skills, he also seems to move very slowly ://
Movement could definitely use some work.
Perhaps someone in the NBA could help him out?
Most of those tall fellas move pretty darn well.
If he can improve in that area of his game, the groundies and net play might get better as well.
Pretty cool he can play at this level relying mostly on his serve and nerve.
At least to me it is...... :whistle:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: Today at 06:38:10 AM »
Movement could definitely use some work.
Perhaps someone in the NBA could help him out?
Most of those tall fellas move pretty darn well.
If he can improve in that area of his game, the groundies and net play might get better as well.
Pretty cool he can play at this level relying mostly on his serve and nerve.
At least to me it is...... :whistle:
I have a really hard time warming up to Raonic. I just don't like his game style or his hair  :)>>>>...

Let's hope that Stefan Djokovic and Leon Federer will play tennis  :))