Author Topic: January Tennis  (Read 536 times)

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
Re: January Tennis
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 05:15:50 AM »

Hewitt doing a demolition job on Becker, two sets up, to the crowd's delight at Laver.  :shakey:

Well, not quite  :shocking:. At the beginning of the third set, Becker found his game and Hewitt lost his (particularly his serve).

...and it went to five with things getting more so. Becker was really playing well in the last three sets and was the eventual winner.  :applause: :applause:

A match worth getting up for.

As the commentators pointed out, Becker was the last player to beat Agassi and all are wondering if the same has happened tonight for Hewitt.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:44 AM »
I caught some of the Sharapova match last night - her ball toss is frigging hilarious.  It's understandable for weekend warriors to have a high toss like that, but a touring pro?  Who knows how much that toss has cost her in terms of actual dollars.  Anyway, can't stand her shriek either so it was a pretty disappointing match.  I will not deny her fighting spirit though - impressive!
Haven't caught much else but really looking forward to this tournament.  Go Fed!  :)

Greg
Agreed on all points.
Masha is a real peach and I do my best to overlook the shrieking and serving wonkers. :;:-|
She is one of the most positive players on either tour and a true fighter through and through.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:32 AM »
4 am and watching Azarenka vs Wozniacki with the mute button on (Don't want the neighbors getting any wrong ideas!   :shocking: ) Azarenka, looking good in the silent mode, wins the first set.  Closed captions provide the commentary  :book:.

Hewitt doing a demolition job on Becker, two sets up, to the crowd's delight at Laver.  :shakey:

Janowicz - Monfils into a fifth set. 

Earlier on I watched Nishikori win over Dodig. Nishikori is really good this year and is championship material.  :applause:
You Sir, are hilarious!

Though I was pulling for Dodig, there is no denying that Kei has upped the ante in his bid for a slam title.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline williamchung7

• Tennis God
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 07:19:36 AM »
Jerzy went through. Still like to play all around the court :)~

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 11:41:54 AM »
Jerzy went through. Still like to play all around the court :)~
Awesome!  I really like his game. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 04:57:53 PM »
Janowicz got kicked off the plane on his way from Brisbane to Mebourne prior to the Aus Open, because he apparently got mad at the stewardess and called her a 'whore'.. The guy averages about 4 to 5 scandalous behavior incidents per year.  I rarely take sides in matches (I watch to enjoy tennis) but I was rooting for Monfils yesterday..

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:45 AM »
Woke up at 4 am to find Federer had lost to Seppi in 4 :( . I watched to first set and saw that Fed was below form but expected he would dig himself out as so often in the past.  I wanted to be around for the night matches.  Did anyone see the whole match?

Kyrgios is now serving bombs to Jaziri, a colorful character from Tunisia. Anderson just beat Gasquet. Big serves all over the place. Only had a short time to enjoy the Gasquet backhand. Nadal now playing Sela.  :scared:  Not having any difficulties tonight.  :lmao:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:26:39 AM by euroka1 »

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 10:34:54 AM »
Woke up at 4 am to find Federer had lost to Seppi in 4 :( . I watched to first set and saw that Fed was below form but expected he would dig himself out as so often in the past.  I wanted to be around for the night matches.  Did anyone see the whole match?

Kyrgios is now serving bombs to Jaziri, a colorful character from Tunisia. Anderson just beat Gasquet. Big serves all over the place. Only had a short time to enjoy the Gasquet backhand. Nadal now playing Sela.  :scared:  Not having any difficulties tonight.  :lmao:

I watched most of the Fed match.  Seppi played very solidlyl, and had some big serves very late in the match.  Fed had plenty of chances but couldn't convert.  Also, Seppi had some great passes when Fed put the pressure on - I didn't think Fed's approaches were that bad either.  9 double faults was one thing that stood out to me.  Very uncharacteristic.  I was hoping to be watching Fed next Sunday....
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 06:17:07 AM »
Up at 5am and missed most of the earlier Saturday action.

Djokovic played pretty well a "flawless" game against Verdasco who put up a good fight. Lots of discussion about the heart rate monitor that Verdasco wears during the match. I could use one of those when I play :wub: .

Intense battle between Ferrer and Simon. Many long rallies made it look like a supercharged clay match. It was incredibly tight  :PHEW:). Simon was in his best backboard mode. Ferrer was running everything down. Ferrer served for the match a number of times but Simon would not go away.  Ferrer won in the fourth set tie breaker, just  :scared: . It will be tough for him to recuperate from this match.  It was well worth getting up to watch.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:18:04 AM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 09:14:37 AM »
Up at 5am and missed most of the earlier Saturday action.

Djokovic played pretty well a "flawless" game against Verdasco who put up a good fight. Lots of discussion about the heart rate monitor that Verdasco wears during the match. I could use one of those when I play :wub: .

Intense battle between Ferrer and Simon. Many long rallies made it look like a supercharged clay match. It was incredibly tight  :PHEW:). Simon was in his best backboard mode. Ferrer was running everything down. Ferrer served for the match a number of times but Simon would not go away.  Ferrer won in the fourth set tie breaker, just  :scared: . It will be tough for him to recuperate from this match.  It was well worth getting up to watch.
I wondered about the 'Nando heart rate monitor as well. :Confused:  I suppose it could be a useful tool unless you're playing mixed dubs. :innocent:

Saw a bit of the Ferrer v. Simon match including one 30 shot rally.  I admire the tenacity and consistency of both players as well as their fitness.  However, that style of 'tennis' is just not my cup of tea.  As you said, it looked like a clay court match. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: Today at 02:24:18 AM »
3:15 am and watching Kyrgios - Seppi.

This time the mute button is on because of the noisy Australians.  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Kyrgios not playing well and loses the first set 5 -7. Serve not dominating and ground game shaky. Seppi is serving better, which is unexpected, and also playing a smarter game. Experience counts!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #31 on: Today at 05:16:00 AM »
Kyrgios came through splendidly in five after losing the second set, getting past a match point in the fourth, and surviving a break in the fifth. He upped his game in the third and started to serve more consistently. A good match from both players. Next, it looks like he'll play Murray although that match with Dimitrov is still going.

Crowd was bobbing up and down almost as much as that lot at the State of the Union speech :laugh-bounce: :laugh-bounce: :laugh-bounce: :laugh-bounce: :laugh-bounce: :laugh-bounce:  . Must be hard on the knees.  ..-)
« Last Edit: Today at 05:19:59 AM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:16:39 AM »
Splendid finish by Kyrgios!
Caught the last 5 games of the 5th set.
Turned the volume up to enjoy the energy of the crowd. ;-()
What a fun match to watch. :king:
The young lad has much more going for him than just his physical talents.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #33 on: Today at 05:23:57 AM »
I kept the sound on mute! (those neighbors  ..-) ) Kyrgios did have his down moments :ranting: :cursing:  when I was able to engage in a bit of lip reading.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:26:54 AM by euroka1 »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: Today at 06:38:36 AM »
I kept the sound on mute! (those neighbors  ..-) ) Kyrgios did have his down moments :ranting: :cursing:  when I was able to engage in a bit of lip reading.
Yeah, I caught a bit of that.
Hopefully he'll mature / gain some confidence and that will disappear.
Not a big fan of his groaning during groundstrokes. :mad1:  Guess I'll have to learn to live with that.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:24:04 PM »
Tennis quality was low but the atmosphere was electric.  I have to admire Kyrgios' competitive spirit.  Nobody thought at 5-7 4-6 that he would come back, including Kyrgios himself.  Then he got help from Seppi, I talk about it in detail in my latest write-up.  For the sake of the tournament, I am glad that he won.  Kyrgios-Murray will generate more excitement than Seppi vs. Murray anywhere, especially in Melbourne.  Putting the match on Hisense Arena got some criticism but people forget that Kyrgios called it his favorite court, and that ground ticket holders had access to that court.  They deserve to see a singles match too (not that many got to, apparently there were lines of 2+ hour-long prior to the match's start, wanting to get in).

Nadal is cruising through, he could not have asked for a better draw.  Anybody who could have given him trouble in the early rounds got dispersed to other parts of the draw, and now he has played himself into form to take on the Murrays and Djokovics or Wawrinkas..