Author Topic: Trouble with slower moving balls  (Read 982 times)

Offline pHEnomIC

• Tennis Player
Trouble with slower moving balls
« on: February 12, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »
I have finally gotten back into my game after a couple years off.  MY baseline play is awesome probably the best it's ever been.  I am able to keep shots deep and consistently get stuff back.  Im hitting hard with plenty of spin and have plenty of control on angle.  Backhand is still developing to match the forehand.    When i get a short ball, I am able to punish it and place it well just by brushing up hard on it.

I am doing well against experienced people.  However, I keep getting weak balls that throw my shots off.   Its almost as if the shots with more power are easier for me to get back.

For example, say i get a weak serve, I try to hit it like my forehand and im just getting em all over the place.   A coach suggested me just slicing them, but I just feel this isn't optimal.  I don't really feel like i take advantage of the easy balls with my slice.

It doesnt have to be just off of a serve, i get weak balls and i dont feel like im effectively returning them.

What is the best advice you can give me to take the opportunity of a short easy ball and make the opponent never want to do that again?

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
Re: Trouble with slower moving balls
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
This is a pretty common problem. The answer is use you feet and shoulders more.
If there isn't much pace on the shot, you have to provide the pace. That's the bad news. But the good news is you will have time to get into proper position and take a good powerful swing.
Use your feet, get into position and turn your shoulders more. That will give you the power you need when you are not given power to work with.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Some people do not like to generate their own pace, but it doesn't mean you cannot get good at it.  You have to remember to keep your eye on the ball as you hit it.  You racquet is moving faster because you need to generate additional pace.  if you lift your head up too early it can spell disaster.

Good footwork is just as important on slow balls as it is hard hit balls as well.  Be sure to get yourself in a good position early and just do your thing.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »
Indeed like Dmast said, this is a common problem. I find it much much easier to counterpunch off people who might hit hard or fast but they give you pace and consistently a similar paced ball.

It's all about timing. You are used to - and expecting - a ball and you are more or less forgetting to actually think about the shot that's coming to you and automatically going for the kinda shot you do against a well paced ball. A slower paced ball just needs better timing. Like dmast said, you have the advantage that you can see it coming and adjust for it, but you need to consciously make this decision. Recognize the slow ball and take it a split second later because the ball will be a split second slower - or just move your feet and move up to take the ball at the same time but a little forward.

Simply put, don't expect pace. Treat every ball like you have to go to the ball and hit the ball, not expect the ball to come to you a certain way and you simply reacting.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »
Something else occured to me as I was warming up last night. Moving your feet is important. But another thing that can help is actually hitting with a closed stance and stepping into and through the ball.
Again going back to the concept of being used to having some pace to work with, we get lazy with our feet, and use an open stance. It's not as easy to hit a no pace with an open stance.
Stepping forward and driving through the shot with your feet may be the answer.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)