Author Topic: New Racquet Creating A Heavy Feel  (Read 824 times)

Offline Shonoby

• Tennis Player
New Racquet Creating A Heavy Feel
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
Well i just got a new racquet( Wilson Hyper Hammer 5.3; its light only 8.3oz ) it's great at creating pace and gives me great control over any ball. But it feels heavy on both my forehand and backhand( especially this side ), it feels like i have to put a lot of energy into getting decent racquet head speed. It could be that I'm still a little stiff from the winter( had not time or place to play ), and my body needs sometime to get used to tennis again. Or it could be that i need time to get used to the new racquet, but still any advice?
Dream Racquet:
Wilson K Factor KSix-One X
Hybrid;
   Main - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 String ( 60 lbs )
   Crosses - Head ETS 17 String( 58 lbs )

Offline HighDesertTennis

• Tennis Player
    • HighdesertTennis
Re: New Racquet Creating A Heavy Feel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
If you're contact is late and ur having to rush that racquethead thru the ball...then I can understand ur complaint!

Just saying "it's light"..is a gross over-simplification. There are MANY "balance variables" now. Most racquets are tagged "Head Heavy or Head light" nowadays. Did your come tagged that way?   I haven't been to W-Site to re-vestigate.   Dan

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »
If you're contact is late and ur having to rush that racquethead thru the ball...then I can understand ur complaint!

Just saying "it's light"..is a gross over-simplification. There are MANY "balance variables" now. Most racquets are tagged "Head Heavy or Head light" nowadays. Did your come tagged that way?   I haven't been to W-Site to re-vestigate.   Dan

Hyper Hammers are designed to be head heavy. Like a hammer.

It's a little strange because you shouldn't be having those problems. What racquet were you using before? The racquet itself is pretty light (by comparison) so if you were using a roughly 10oz racquet so far, this should feel ligther. On the strokes, I will hazard a guess that it feels heavy on the preparation, when you actually have to bring your racquet up and behind you, this is somewhat normal because you are bringing a head heavy object up from a distance from your hands. Think about lifting 20lb weights in your hands or 20 lbs weights attached to a long rod and you lifting it from the tail end (like a hammer). The hammer type will be 'heavier'.
But that should aid you in your swing and follow through. The swingweight should be pretty high aided by the hyper hammer design. Which is why I find it confusing and contradictory that you have to put a lot of energy into getting decent head speed. It's a light racquet, is head heavy - I feel you should be getting decent racquet head speed pretty easily.

I think you may just need to get used to the racquet and also just get back in form from winter. Easiest thing to do is before you play or just in general, swing a heavy racquet around so the lighter racquet is all the more useful.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
I concur with the other 2.  Head heavy will make it feel a little heavier as the head of the racquet holds the weight and it is tough to get it moving because it is further from your arm.  8.3 ounces though would feel like a feather to me!!!

I use to use a Hammer, I liked it a lot, it was not that light though.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Shonoby

• Tennis Player
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
Well, thxz for your advice but i figured out the problem i was rusty. I went back and play some more the last couple of days and it turned out that my body just need some readjusting to tennis( been month since i played serious tennis ). I know about head heavy and head light racquets and i usually go for head heavy, this isn't the first time i used a Wilson Hammer series racquet. I guess i was just worried too much and didn't give myself enough time to get used to tennis so my bad. But no matter how good it was the other days the weather keeps getting cool then warm and its annoying.
I wasn't perfectly correct when i wrote this topic, it wasn't necessarily heavy but rather i wasn't generating enough pace with my strokes. But i worked them out already just had to remember to swing low to high and put my body weight forward. After that and a few hours on the court i go used to the racquet and started destroying my partner lol. The Hammer series is really by far my favorite racquet, their light but pack a massive punch and give me equal amount of control and spin. Anyways thxz for the advice guys.
Dream Racquet:
Wilson K Factor KSix-One X
Hybrid;
   Main - Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 16 String ( 60 lbs )
   Crosses - Head ETS 17 String( 58 lbs )