Instructional Tennis > Instructional Tennis

Serving question...

(1/4) > >>

MontyDub:
Why is the "toss" so important on the serve...and why does my instructor keep focusing on that one aspect...is it REALLY that important...I'm confused...please help!

thanks

Tennis4you:
Your toss needs to be consistant and in the right spot.  If it is not, it will be very hard to learn to serve correctly.  Your pro is leading you in the right direction, so fear not.  :)

There is someone on my 4.5 USTA league who still struggles with the toss.  it needs to be somethign that comes naturally during a match, if you ever have to think about it while you are tossing it, you are screwed.

MontyDub:

--- Quote from: "Tennis4you" ---Your toss needs to be consistant and in the right spot.  If it is not, it will be very hard to learn to serve correctly.  Your pro is leading you in the right direction, so fear not.  :)

There is someone on my 4.5 USTA league who still struggles with the toss.  it needs to be somethign that comes naturally during a match, if you ever have to think about it while you are tossing it, you are screwed.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the support...the reason I was concerned was because the other day was reading this old Tennis mag in which they did a study on the toss...they put a camera over Boris Becker, who at the time was #1, and took pictures of his ball position to show the perfect toss...the results showed that there was an 18 inch variance in ball postion...which got me to thinking...if HE can put the ball in the same position everytime...why should I expect the same of myself....Thanks again for your response...I'm new to this website so please bare with me....

Tennis4you:
Glad you registered, and welcome to the boards!

18", really?  That seems wildly extreme.  If his toss height varies I could not believe it would be to hit different serves and different placement.  If that was the case he would tell his opponents where he was serving by his toss, which is bad.

Did they say why he had an 18" variation?  I would be interested to hearing this one out.  

Overall, I think the more consistant you can be with your toss the harder it will be for your opponent to read your serve and the better serve you will have in the end.

MontyDub:

--- Quote from: "Tennis4you" ---Glad you registered, and welcome to the boards!

If that was the case he would tell his opponents where he was serving by his toss, which is bad.

Thank, "tennis4you"....the variance wasn't in the hight, but the with...I definitely agree about not giving away where you're going to serve...but if I toss the ball in the same place then how do I then manuvere the ball around the box....thanks again for your thoughts.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version