Author Topic: Are ATP Organizers Conspiring Against Nadal?  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Are ATP Organizers Conspiring Against Nadal?
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2009, 11:44:41 AM »
Boy you guys are nuts! :rofl_2:  (brown, white...doesn't matter - still nuts!) :rofl_2:

My thoughts on this 'conspiring' theory is that there is no conspiracy.  Some people say the media is against Nadal because of this or that...but have you thought that maybe it has something to do with his English?  It seems like the media loves the tennis players who speak pretty good English.  I know Rafa drastically has improved since he first came on board, but when you put him up against - say Roger, the media will interview Rafa maybe 30 minutes compared to 1 hour with Roger.  That's where I see the major difference between these 2.  Roger will sit down with the media and answer their questions for days (seems like) - in English, German, French, Swiss German, whatever.  And they said that was the first time a #1 really TALKED to the media like that.  In the past, many #1s would rather be somewhere else than do interviews.  The media liked that about Roger so they 'took to him'.  So just because Roger isn't #1 now - it's hard to change their feelings for him and automatically transfer it to Nadal who still is learning the English language.

Whether this is right or wrong - who knows...but unfortunately, it's the way it is. 

Nadal fans....give it time.  The longer Nadal stays on top - the more the media will pay attention and try to really get to know him and embrace him.  But it's going to take some time.

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2009, 12:07:57 PM »
I don't get this either. Rafa is white. He is European. What's the problem here?
Hmm Alex, he isn't exactly 'white' like say Murray, Simon, Fed etc right? Not that he's a black but he's got more of the asian brownness
meh. This is stupid tho. All people born in Europe are considered white. Sure, some Spanish people and Italians are darker etc. but they are still considered white. I don't really care and I don't get this. sure Rafa is not as white as Borg, lol but still. What is this all about? Nadal is Caucasian in my book. C'mon people, this is 21st century ...

All people born in Europe are not considered white Alex. There have been blacks, Asians, Arabs and whatever else in Europe for hundreds of years. I have a friend born in France: black guy. He's third generation French. He was born in Europe, but he's not considered white. I'm not going to get into the whole racism thing, but if I saw Rafa walking down the street, I'd never think he was white. Anyway, you can be European and not white, that's the point here.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:12:01 PM by Pacer »
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:52 PM »
i read somewhere that even djokovic's colour is not considered "pure" white..........bulls**t, are brits and americans the only whites? there are several mind-blowing colours on earth..........according to me, indian, pakistani and spanish women are the most beautiful and seductive species on earth..........

:rofl_2:  Crazy discussion.  Rafa's a little white boy, he just loves the beach and tans quickly. 

I think Rafa's problems started when the big dogs at Wimbledon sort of agreed that the sleeveless shirts and his demeanor on court were quite unsophisticated -- it even made the paper!  He didn't "fit" the mold of the "upperclass" player. I believe it said he "looks like a construction worker". Some of that stuck and since he was a clay court player initially, he just hasn't been able to shake the perception of being lower class.

I don't know, but I sure get tired of it. Right now in the Davy/Murray match, Murray has been declared the next #1 on FIVE occasions. Get's old.

Maybe this thread should have been called "Tennis Minority Report"  :) . It's of very little interest to anyone and it isn't understood by those who haven't watched it and felt it. I'm certainly not comparing this Rafa thing to Black or American Indian or Hispanic or any other real minority, but it has some of the same dynamics. Everyone who isn't involved just goes pffft. 

To those who go "pfffft"   

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2009, 12:33:27 PM »
I don't know, but I sure get tired of it. Right now in the Davy/Murray match, Murray has been declared the next #1 on FIVE occasions. Get's old.

They can say it all they want but it doesn't make it any more 'true'! The early part of last year they were declaring Djokovic as the next #1... hasn't come true yet!  You just need to learn to tune out these statements that you don't like because in the end, it'll be those fools who look like fools if their statements doesn't come true! :rofl_2:  Nadal is doing the right thing by just winning and winning and winning and not letting any of this stuff affect him.  You Nadal fans need to take after him! :rofl_2:

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »

:rofl_2:  Crazy discussion.  Rafa's a little white boy, he just loves the beach and tans quickly. 

I think Rafa's problems started when the big dogs at Wimbledon sort of agreed that the sleeveless shirts and his demeanor on court were quite unsophisticated -- it even made the paper!  He didn't "fit" the mold of the "upperclass" player. I believe it said he "looks like a construction worker". Some of that stuck and since he was a clay court player initially, he just hasn't been able to shake the perception of being lower class.

Maybe this thread should have been called "Tennis Minority Report"  :) . It's of very little interest to anyone and it isn't understood by those who haven't watched it and felt it. I'm certainly not comparing this Rafa thing to Black or American Indian or Hispanic or any other real minority, but it has some of the same dynamics. Everyone who isn't involved just goes pffft. 

To those who go "pfffft"   

That dude has 4 fingers.  As far as I am considered, he is alternately point up to the left and up to the right in rapid succession. Which is a lot cooler than flipping the bird, actually. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:41 PM »
I don't get this either. Rafa is white. He is European. What's the problem here?
Hmm Alex, he isn't exactly 'white' like say Murray, Simon, Fed etc right? Not that he's a black but he's got more of the asian brownness
meh. This is stupid tho. All people born in Europe are considered white. Sure, some Spanish people and Italians are darker etc. but they are still considered white. I don't really care and I don't get this. sure Rafa is not as white as Borg, lol but still. What is this all about? Nadal is Caucasian in my book. C'mon people, this is 21st century ...

All people born in Europe are not considered white Alex. There have been blacks, Asians, Arabs and whatever else in Europe for hundreds of years. I have a friend born in France: black guy. He's third generation French. He was born in Europe, but he's not considered white. I'm not going to get into the whole racism thing, but if I saw Rafa walking down the street, I'd never think he was white. Anyway, you can be European and not white, that's the point here.

You wouldn't but others would. My mother's family--both sides--is from the southern tip of Italy. My grandfather is as dark as Rafa. But we've always been white. Your generation focuses more on hues of color. You'd look at my mother and grandfather and say they are Mediterranean. I've always wanted to check the "of Mediterranean decent" box when filling out forms that ask for my ethnicity, but your generation hasn't started printing those forms yet. I can't wait for the day I can check that box. In the meantime, my family and I have been white.

upshot: young people see Rafa and think non-white; old people see Rafa and think white. AND some people are simply racist, regionalists, sexist, etc.. That said, if people are going to jump on the "racist conspiracy" bandwagon, i.e., EVERYONE in tennis is out to get Rafa because he's brown, they had better wear their armor.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:43:57 PM by Babblelot »
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Pacer

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »

You wouldn't but others would. My mother's family--both sides--is from the southern tip of Italy. My grandfather is as dark as Rafa. But we've always been white. Your generation focuses more on hues of color. You'd look at my mother and grandfather and say they are Mediterranean. I've always wanted to check the "of Mediterranean decent" box when filling out forms that ask for my ethnicity, but your generation hasn't started printing those forms yet. I can't wait for the day I can check that box. In the meantime, my family and I have been white.

upshot: young people see Rafa and think non-white; old people see Rafa and think white. AND some people are simply racist, regionalists, sexist, etc.. That said, if people are going to jump on the "racist conspiracy" bandwagon, i.e., EVERYONE in tennis is out to get Rafa because he's brown, they had better wear their armor.

I don't necessarily believe in race. Scientifically, it doesn't exist, however, socially it does. Racial lines are very blurred and inconsistent. There are people born in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America who consider themselves white. What is white, who is white? Do you have to be born in Europe to be white? Africa to be black? I have a black friend who basically has white skin, but is still considered black. So there must be more to being white than skin color, but what else is it? These racial models that we've created are inconsistent, flawed and plain silly. Can't I just be American, Dutch or English? You Italian? Conchita Spanish? Shankar Indian? Bunk that, can't I just be human? Damn.. Me saying that I would not consider Rafa to be white, was to prove how flawed our concept of race is. There are people who look like Rafa in the Middle East, Asia, South America, Africa but they aren't considered white.
Ralphie: I want an official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! <br /><br />Mrs. Parker: No, you\'ll shoot your eye out.

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »

I don't necessarily believe in race. Scientifically, it doesn't exist, however, socially it does. Racial lines are very blurred and inconsistent. There are people born in the Middle East, Asia, Africa, South America who consider themselves white. What is white, who is white? Do you have to be born in Europe to be white? Africa to be black? I have a black friend who basically has white skin, but is still considered black. So there must be more to being white than skin color, but what else is it? These racial models that we've created are inconsistent, flawed and plain silly. Can't I just be American, Dutch or English? You Italian? Conchita Spanish? Shankar Indian? Bunk that, can't I just be human? Damn.. Me saying that I would not consider Rafa to be white, was to prove how flawed our concept of race is. There are people who look like Rafa in the Middle East, Asia, South America, Africa but they aren't considered white.

well said.........i agree.........
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

i demand french open to be renamed RAFAEL GARROS

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2009, 01:11:08 PM »
I need :gleam: to block the reflection off his chest.

1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

Okay, thanks for clarifying your comment with respect to Rafa. I totally agree with you, Pacer, and I respect your wish to stay out of a discussion of racism, so I won't pursue this with you.

Peace!

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
@dallas

why is it that everyone else has to get their dues only after X no of years because fed got his dues only after X no of years? i don't care one bit when people started respecting fed..........what matters to me is, why aren't people giving min. credit to rafael and his achievements? what has rafael's lack of fluency in english got to do with the commentators not praising/giving credit to his on court heroics?
Marian Vajda to Novak Djokovic, "I saw you beat that man like I never saw no man get beat before, and the man KEPT COMING AFTER YOU! Now we don't need no man like that in our lives."

Offline sid

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2009, 01:41:42 PM »

She said who's farted :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2009, 01:45:49 PM »
@dallas

why is it that everyone else has to get their dues only after X no of years because fed got his dues only after X no of years? i don't care one bit when people started respecting fed..........what matters to me is, why aren't people giving min. credit to rafael and his achievements? what has rafael's lack of fluency in english got to do with the commentators not praising/giving credit to his on court heroics?

I can not answer because I don't know the reason.  I was just trying to think of a 'possible' reason why that may be happening.  That doesn't mean I agree with it - just what I think I see in the media. 

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »

She said who's farted :rofl_2:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NPKuyDWt4k[/youtube]

Offline Start da Game

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »
i read somewhere that even djokovic's colour is not considered "pure" white..........bulls**t, are brits and americans the only whites? there are several mind-blowing colours on earth..........according to me, indian, pakistani and spanish women are the most beautiful and seductive species on earth..........

To those who go "pfffft"   

there i agree..........

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »

You know, Pace, it's a very good post; however, I wouldn't want to be labeled either. I don't want to be Asian or Canadian or anything. I just want to be me.
You are everything I am not.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2009, 02:12:42 PM »

You know, Pace, it's a very good post; however, I wouldn't want to be labeled either. I don't want to be Asian or Canadian or anything. I just want to be me.

I prefer cultural diversity. I like Italian, French, Mexican, Spanish,... that's why I like to travel to other countries ("subcultures" if you will) that speak other languages and see how they do things first hand.

EDIT: All right, that overstates what I do since I go mostly to major metropolitan cities; Florence and even more so Siena, are the most insulated cities I've ever been to.  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:21:59 PM by Babblelot »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2009, 02:26:03 PM »
People who live it in their own skin probably will have more insight of the matter than those who opine.

I have white blue eyes in my family, I also have black/dark brown in the other side of the family.......my own grandmother tells me grandchild A who is white is prettier than grandchild B who is black. 

Certainly being 4 years in the military and later in the FED GOV; gives you even more experience as to what extent prejudice runs within the subconscious or conscious of people. Is something I had to live with my own skin.....despite being "white brown" whatever that hell means.

Now, regarding Rafa.......it all start with the game, follow by the surface and finally cap by his color..........racism is not the main reason, probably the least of the reasons Rafa lacks respect.....but to think the Tennis elite, in a sport that has been dominated by whites.......don't look at Rafa as an impostor; you must be smoking the good thing. 1% is still too much for that time hate...but is there.

Just today, Murray playing like crap with Davydenko gifting 60 UFE......and the commentators couldn't stop talking of how "well Murray was playing and his chances to make it into Sunday" add the "future #1" line 5 times.......you get drift!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2009, 02:42:33 PM »
People who live it in their own skin probably will have more insight of the matter than those who opine.

I have white blue eyes in my family, I also have black/dark brown in the other side of the family.......my own grandmother tells me grandchild A who is white is prettier than grandchild B who is black. 

Certainly being 4 years in the military and later in the FED GOV; gives you even more experience as to what extent prejudice runs within the subconscious or conscious of people. Is something I had to live with my own skin.....despite being "white brown" whatever that hell means.

Now, regarding Rafa.......it all start with the game, follow by the surface and finally cap by his color..........racism is not the main reason, probably the least of the reasons Rafa lacks respect.....but to think the Tennis elite, in a sport that has been dominated by whites.......don't look at Rafa as an impostor; you must be smoking the good thing. 1% is still too much for that time hate...but is there.

Just today, Murray playing like crap with Davydenko gifting 60 UFE......and the commentators couldn't stop talking of how "well Murray was playing and his chances to make it into Sunday" add the "future #1" line 5 times.......you get drift!

Fair enough! At times, people either want to lead with racism, or when all else fails scream racism. That's what I have a problem with.

Btw, I'm going to meet friends, chill and have a few :beer: later tonight!    :rofl_2:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:44:13 PM by Babblelot »

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »

Fair enough! At times, people either want to lead with racism, or when all else fails scream racism. That's what I have a problem with.

Btw, I'm going to meet friends, chill and have a few :beer: later tonight!    :rofl_2:

have a good one!  :drinks: