Author Topic: S/V, Spin vs Pace  (Read 2022 times)

Offline thejackal

• Tennis God
S/V, Spin vs Pace
« on: December 21, 2004, 05:57:55 PM »
Scott,

If placement is not an issue, would it be viable to come in off a fast 1st serve ( one that would force a weak return)?  I see guys like Mirnyi just pound them in at 120mph and get a meatball return.  Would this appraoch work?
official blogger

tennisconnected.com

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
S/V, Spin vs Pace
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 07:52:00 PM »
It has it's ups and down.  If you can smoke a 120 mph serve then it may work.

I play a guy in dubs who has a big first serve, but usually the placement is within reach.  If you can stay low and get a racquet on it your return can be pretty good.  With that said I wouldn't want to serve and volley (in singles) unless I had a serve that kept people guessing, had different spins and placement as well as speed.  If your serve is predictable and you are coming in behind it you are screwed.

Max may have a hard first serve but he places it and uses different spins as well.  I think you need a good number of options of serves to serve and volley most effectively.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline hummer23mm

• Tennis Addict
    • http://www.atptennis.com
S/V, Spin vs Pace
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 10:08:36 PM »
for a serve adn volly, it is good to have a lot of pace.  that really tends to mess people up. if you arent too fast,a nd you leave  a serve within reach, you are basically in no mans land by the time the return comes back, so there sis where spin si good, it gives you time.  in general though, a good placed down the T first serve to both sides with a good amount of pace, maybe 90% as hard as you can hit it, is a solid play, and will set up for a bunch of easy put aways.  most importantly, keep mixing it up, no matter how good your serve is, your opponent will basically start sitting on your pacea dns sending it back at you harder than it came to him.  so the answer to your question is hit both.  use both together, seperatly, whatever gives the guy on the other side of the net trouble.
Mike

Offline MC ill Logic

• Tennis God
S/V, Spin vs Pace
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 10:56:36 PM »
Rafter and Edberg both spun their serves in.  Of course, Rafter had one of the nastiest kick serves around but, still, it seems like in general if you hit huge flat serves it might be better to just sort of take a few steps in, waiting for a floater that you can crush with a groundstroke, then to sprint towards the net.  When I want to serve and volley I always take something off my serve and go for a slice out wide the deuce side, and out wide the ad side.  But actually going down the middle isn't a bad idea either at my level since I know most people are going to hit it down the middle or down the line off the return.  Most people can't hit an inside out return consistently off a serve down the T.