Author Topic: 2009 OFFICIAL FRENCH OPEN THREAD - ATP  (Read 130865 times)

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
Re: ATP - 2009 French Open: May 5 - May 31
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2009, 06:04:39 AM »
Gael Monfils also on Roger's quart of the draw. Normally Monfils is a tough opponent, because he is so crazy. However I believe that he isn't 100% recovered from his injury yet.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2009, 06:07:54 AM »
Gael Monfils also on Roger's quart of the draw. Normally Monfils is a tough opponent, because he is so crazy. However I believe that he isn't 100% recovered from his injury yet.
Even worst: It is likely that Gael will not be there  :(..we will see   :(
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2009, 06:16:52 AM »
I just looked up some ticket prizes, but man that's really pathetic imo. For the men's semi-finals and final, the cheapest ticket costs 450 euros (top seats, from which you can hardly see any ball I guess). For the seats near the 'pitch' you pay almost 1500 euros...

Which is too bad because I would really love to watch a big game on a Grand Slam live sometime. And since Paris equals only a 4,5 hour drive, the best opportunity that I have would be the French Open. But damn those prizes!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2009, 06:20:45 AM »
I just looked up some ticket prizes, but man that's really pathetic imo. For the men's semi-finals and final, the cheapest ticket costs 450 euros (top seats, from which you can hardly see any ball I guess). For the seats near the 'pitch' you pay almost 1500 euros...

Which is too bad because I would really love to watch a big game on a Grand Slam live sometime. And since Paris equals only a 4,5 hour drive, the best opportunity that I have would be the French Open. But damn those prizes!
A shame really! All GS cost a lot I guess...I'm not aware

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #184 on: May 22, 2009, 06:23:32 AM »
OMG, Roger and his quarter

Ferrer, Verdasco, Davydenko, Almagro and Wawrinka in Nadal's quarter LOL

Thenever ending luck of the Swiss!

Notice that Nando, Denko, Almagro and Wawrinka all have to play each other before playing Nadal: he can only play one of them. All the top-4 have a relatively good draw. Chela and Starace? 3 years ago yes, but now, no.

Yes, he only has to face one, but that will be a more difficult match-up than what Roger would have in his Quarterfinal.  I don't know if Denko is healthy enough to make it, but I definitely see Verdasco making it through.  He has been very consistent throughout the season in making it deep into tournaments.  He is also one of several clay courters who can give Rafa or any other top player difficulty on clay.  Before then though he may have to face Ferrer. Ferrer has not done too well lately, but he can pose some problems if he does start playing well.  Karlovic has always exited pretty early in slams, but that is never a good match-up even on clay.  This kind of match won't really help him with his ground game.  I think Rafa's Quarter is the toughest since it has some very dangerous clay court players.  I don't see that in any other players' Quarters.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:25:24 AM by tain316 »

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #185 on: May 22, 2009, 06:35:13 AM »

I am not following you here, my friend, nope IMO both the top dogs had similar drawn: More, IMO, as I said Berdy and PHM can be better test for FED than the players who are in the Rafa part..

Although Berdych tested Fed in Melbourne, I doubt he can do the same on clay. I don't think Berdych or PHM have had any recent good performances on clay so that alone should say that these are favorable match-ups for Fed.  Rafa has Ferrer in his part who I would say is a much better clay courter than either of those players on Fed's side.  The only thing PHM has going for him is the French crowd.  I don't think that will be enough though. :Confused:

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2009, 06:42:29 AM »

I am not following you here, my friend, nope IMO both the top dogs had similar drawn: More, IMO, as I said Berdy and PHM can be better test for FED than the players who are in the Rafa part..

Although Berdych tested Fed in Melbourne, I doubt he can do the same on clay. I don't think Berdych or PHM have had any recent good performances on clay so that alone should say that these are favorable match-ups for Fed.  Rafa has Ferrer in his part who I would say is a much better clay courter than either of those players on Fed's side.  The only thing PHM has going for him is the French crowd.  I don't think that will be enough though. :Confused:

Well, I found out that Berdych has had a pretty good result recently on clay.  He won in Munich earlier in the month.  However, he still had two first round losses and one second round loss in the Masters 1000 events. 

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2009, 06:43:11 AM »

I see your point: Still Feru was not so great on clay either this season..Berdy is a guy who can be very dangerous (whatever the surface) if he is in a "hot" Day (I agree this does not happen often but still)..PHM can be fully in another planet due to the french crowd: I tend, as you, to say that it will be not enough but still enough to test him IMO
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:41 AM »

Well, I found out that Berdych has had a pretty good result recently on clay.  He won in Munich earlier in the month.  However, he still had two first round losses and one second round loss in the Masters 1000 events. 

I was there (i.e. the fianl in Munich) and I saw him: This is one of the reason I was posting that the guy is far from being a uselss one on clay..BTW: he had a bad result in Madrid but this was due IMO of being tired from his Munich final (a very long and difficult one)

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2009, 06:49:55 AM »

I see your point: Still Feru was not so great on clay either this season..Berdy is a guy who can be very dangerous (whatever the surface) if he is in a "hot" Day (I agree this does not happen often but still)..PHM can be fully in another planet due to the french crowd: I tend, as you, to say that it will be not enough but still enough to test him IMO

Ferrer wasn't as good this season as last, but he was still better than Berdych.  In terms of clay court players, Ferrer is better than both of those and that is what it comes down to.  Berdych has had some awful results on this surface in more competitive settings.  Berdych is only really dangerous on hardcourts, not on clay.  Then there's the mental aspect of the game for him...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:59:28 AM by tain316 »

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2009, 06:54:56 AM »

I was there (i.e. the fianl in Munich) and I saw him: This is one of the reason I was posting that the guy is far from being a uselss one on clay..BTW: he had a bad result in Madrid but this was due IMO of being tired from his Munich final (a very long and difficult one)

It is a good win, but the level of competition was not high at all. Top seeds were Cilic and Almagro.  His lack of consistency is also a problem.  He had early exits before at tougher events.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2009, 06:58:09 AM »

Ferrer wasn't as good this season as last, but he was still better than Berdych.  In terms of clay court players, Ferrer is better than both of those and that is what it comes down to.  Berdych is has had some awful results on this surface in more competitive settings.  Berdych is only really dangerous on hardcourts, not on clay.  Then there's the mental aspect of the game for him...

I agree..Still., good knows if he is able to present himself in a good mood..I will never underestimate Berdy in whatever surface: I know he does not have the "head" most of the time..still, he can push a superior player if he enter on the court with the right "head"..

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #192 on: May 22, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
Roger will not drop a set in his way to the semis, Murray might have to fight for his life from round one.....Novak will show who is #2 on clay and Rafa...........will play his best tennis of the season yet.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: May 22, 2009, 07:13:22 AM »
Roger will not drop a set in his way to the semis, Murray might have to fight for his life from round one.....Novak will show who is #2 on clay and Rafa...........will play his best tennis of the season yet.

Could be and I hope for Rafa to be honest: IMO he fully deserve to pass Borg's mark here (given his records on clay)..

On that side, as a FED fan more in love with Wimbledon than with Rolad Garros, I just hope that FED will not lose a lot of energy and confidence in Paris before the (too short  :( :( ) grass season: My dream is a Wimbledon title more than the french one  :king:

Offline huntingyou

• Tennis God
« Reply #194 on: May 22, 2009, 07:16:47 AM »

Could be and I hope for Rafa to be honest: IMO he fully deserve to pass Borg's mark here (given his records on clay)..

On that side, as a FED fan more in love with Wimbledon than with Rolad Garros, I just hope that FED will not lose a lot of energy and confidence in Paris before the (too short  :( :( ) grass season: My dream is a Wimbledon title more than the french one  :king:

Roger has 5 of those...a win at the French which is still possible over the GOAT of clay will cement Roger as The GOAT. I know Wimbledon is more prestigious to some but I would take for example, the UO for Rafa over Wimbledon just because it would complete his career at age 23.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »

I agree but at the end of he day is a matter of tastes: Look: I had the chance to be in both events as a spectator (clearly  :rofl_2:) and I do not know : the magic of Wimbledon Center is just 1000000 times more impressive than the main venue at RG...And grass is grass..I like more even if it is pure "anachronistic" surface ATM compare to clay and HC...But it is sad that is like that: Grass should receive more attention and a Master before Wimbledon...

Roger has 5 of those...a win at the French which is still possible over the GOAT of clay will cement Roger as The GOAT. I know Wimbledon is more prestigious to some but I would take for example, the UO for Rafa over Wimbledon just because it would complete his career at age 23.

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:58 AM »

I agree.  I don't think for Fed the other slams really matter much right now.  He has won the other three Grand Slams multiple times. The French is the only one that he hasn't won and is definitely what he should really just focus on.  

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2009, 07:24:25 AM »

By losing badly in the semis to Federer?  :whistle:

AS for Murray, he's weak on clay, but Chela is ranked 205 for a reason: he's just been beaten in straight sets by Oscar Hernandez, over tyhe clay season he's lost to Bolelli and Rochus, his best wins have been against KUnitsyn and GIcquel, he has a negative record this year, he hasn't beaten a top-30 player without a retirement since the 2007 US Open. Murray beat him 3 times in straight sets before he started shaving and when Chela was still a top-30 regular. Murray is miles out of Chela's league. As for the other threat you named: Starace, he is ranked 105, also has a negative record for the year, retired in his last tournament, and his form, while beingh better than Chela's is still pretty poor compared to Murray: wins over Hernandez, Gulbis and Soderling on clay are nothing to write home about. The early 'scares' for Murray could only be Zverev if he plays like he did in Rome, or Montanes: they are the two best clay-courters in Murray's section befotre the quarter-finals. Murray couldn't have asked for a better draw.

Full list of players in Murray's section: Chela, Zverev, Starace, Tipsarevic, Montanes, Feliciano Lopez, Stepanek, Gaudio, Lu, Sela, Hernych and Cilic. i.e. a set of half-decent seeds who hate clay and a lot of journeymen who would say they like clay but Murray can totally outclass.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »

I made a mistake; Let me repost this one:

I agree but at the end of he day is a matter of tastes: Look: I had the chance to be in both events as a spectator (clearly  :rofl_2:) and I do not know : the magic of Wimbledon Center is just 1000000 times more impressive than the main venue at RG...And grass is grass..I like more even if it is pure "anachronistic" surface ATM compare to clay and HC...But it is sad that is like that: Grass should receive more attention and a Master before Wimbledon...

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2009, 07:27:52 AM »

By losing badly in the semis to Federer?  :whistle:

AS for Murray, he's weak on clay, but Chela is ranked 205 for a reason: he's just been beaten in straight sets by Oscar Hernandez, over tyhe clay season he's lost to Bolelli and Rochus, his best wins have been against KUnitsyn and GIcquel, he has a negative record this year, he hasn't beaten a top-30 player without a retirement since the 2007 US Open. Murray beat him 3 times in straight sets before he started shaving and when Chela was still a top-30 regular. Murray is miles out of Chela's league. As for the other threat you named: Starace, he is ranked 105, also has a negative record for the year, retired in his last tournament, and his form, while beingh better than Chela's is still pretty poor compared to Murray: wins over Hernandez, Gulbis and Soderling on clay are nothing to write home about. The early 'scares' for Murray could only be Zverev if he plays like he did in Rome, or Montanes: they are the two best clay-courters in Murray's section befotre the quarter-finals. Murray couldn't have asked for a better draw.

Full list of players in Murray's section: Chela, Zverev, Starace, Tipsarevic, Montanes, Feliciano Lopez, Stepanek, Gaudio, Lu, Sela, Hernych and Cilic. i.e. a set of half-decent seeds who hate clay and a lot of journeymen who would say they like clay but Murray can totally outclass.

Good points.  I don't see the other top names in that section (Lopez or Stepanek) giving him trouble either.