Author Topic: 2009 OFFICIAL FRENCH OPEN THREAD - ATP  (Read 138481 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Re: 2009 OFFICIAL FRENCH OPEN THREAD - ATP
« Reply #3480 on: June 07, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
The only way for Federer to be a worthy GOAT candidate of any degree would be to:

-Win atleast 2 Calender Slams
-Wins slams over a 12 year span/13 year stretch so win atleast 1 slam in 2015
-Gain a winning head to head with his main rival Nadal in slams, so gain atleast 5 more wins vs Rafa in slams than Nadal can on him
-Beats Nadal in a French Open final atleast once
-End the year ranked #1 atleast 3 more times
-Gains a winning head to head with Murray, not even strictly the slams is good enough in this case but overall

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.

That's hilarious...
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #3481 on: June 07, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
The only way for Federer to be a worthy GOAT candidate of any degree would be to:

-Gain a winning head to head with his main rival Nadal in slams, so gain atleast 5 more wins vs Rafa in slams than Nadal can on him
-Gains a winning head to head with Murray, not even strictly the slams is good enough in this case but overall

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.

That's hilarious...
Just listen to him, he puts Borg, Sampras and Laver in tier 1 and Roger in tier 2??? Really hilarious

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #3482 on: June 07, 2009, 04:30:12 PM »

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.
I'm sorry but those things you mentioned are really stupid, you say if he does all that you can consider him to be in Tier 1???? Cmon you are just bashing Roger... Roger achieved so much more than Borg and you put him below him???? And he is better than Sampras b/c Sampras only got in SF of RG and Roger made 5 finals and 1 win. Laver won 2 calendar slams, but on which surfaces??? Everything you said just isn't on it's place and I don't know what are you trying to achieve with this bashing

Borg dominated on both grass and clay vs incredible competition.   Federer dominated on grass vs weak competition, and didnt win anything on clay until a year he didnt play any of his competition.   Laver was better on hard courts than clay, and dominated the hard court tournaments that did exist so he would achieved his slams even if any of them were on hard courts.  His 62 slam was not legit since it was with the best players pro, but he won the pro slam in 67 so would have won his 2 slams in 67 and 69 instead of 62 and 69 I am pretty sure.    Sampras has two more Wimbledons and two more year end #1s than Federer so far even vs a tougher field.

Offline Federer's_footwork

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #3483 on: June 07, 2009, 04:33:43 PM »
Only definition of GOAT is how many majors, with not winning one being the possible spoiler.

Tennis geeks (like myself) on the internet may like to debate the niceties of it but the press/public look at the number of slams and that's it.

Fed now has all 4 and is tied with Pete on 14. Many may not like it BUT IN THE PUBLIC'S EYE (i.e., not yours) he is now joint GOAT.

Same in golf.
Seriously... those man bags of Federer's have GOT TO GO!

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #3484 on: June 07, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Let's not try to change this thread into a "GOAT" or NOT GOAT thread.  I'm just happy Roger won the French!!! Can we celebrate that achievement because I can guarantee you that even if Roger does everything on that list kittens prepared - he'll then come out with a 'new' list after that.  Read his previous post from years past... Everytime Roger achieves what's on one list - kittens goes and changes it again so Roger will never reach GOAT status by his standards! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #3485 on: June 07, 2009, 04:41:57 PM »

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.
I'm sorry but those things you mentioned are really stupid, you say if he does all that you can consider him to be in Tier 1???? Cmon you are just bashing Roger... Roger achieved so much more than Borg and you put him below him???? And he is better than Sampras b/c Sampras only got in SF of RG and Roger made 5 finals and 1 win. Laver won 2 calendar slams, but on which surfaces??? Everything you said just isn't on it's place and I don't know what are you trying to achieve with this bashing

miticfam,
WOW! I can't believe how kittens can become such a hatred toward Federer.

That was one of the most rediculous post I've ever read. 

Kittens had turn into Shankar!!!!!!

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #3486 on: June 07, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

Borg dominated on both grass and clay vs incredible competition.   Federer dominated on grass vs weak competition, and didnt win anything on clay until a year he didnt play any of his competition.   Laver was better on hard courts than clay, and dominated the hard court tournaments that did exist so he would achieved his slams even if any of them were on hard courts.  His 62 slam was not legit since it was with the best players pro, but he won the pro slam in 67 so would have won his 2 slams in 67 and 69 instead of 62 and 69 I am pretty sure.    Sampras has two more Wimbledons and two more year end #1s than Federer so far even vs a tougher field.

And here it is the question about competition. Why do you consider the competiton tough? Because those players found a way to beat those champions, and in 04-06 no one except Nadal found a way to beat Fed, b/c Fed rised his game far from those years standards. And this things about competition just like about the GOAT thing can be viewed from different angles. Borg didn't dominate on HC, but Fed was, Fed dominated on grass and HC so he is tied with Borg in this, but he won 14 GSs so he is better, He is far more complete player than Sampras, he is far more better than him on clay. And in Sampras's time, you could won one slam and a couple of masters and you are #1 so this days is far more difficult to get that #1 spot, what did Nadal had to win to become #1? FO, Wimby, a bunch of Masters, Olympic medal and Fed lost in first rounds or so in many tournaments etc etc etc. And you can't compare Lavers time with this, it's just not right

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3487 on: June 07, 2009, 04:57:23 PM »
Ha ha! You Fedfans are like a lunatic religious cult.

You've got 95% of the people believers, but you're still going after the 5%   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

IDIOTS!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline wissywig

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3488 on: June 07, 2009, 04:58:42 PM »

You've got 95% of the people believers, but you're still going after the 5%   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

IDIOTS!

*sings* CAAAAAN YOU FEEEEEL THE LOOOOVE TONIGHT  :))

Offline Lugburz

• Tennis God
  • Chelsea till I die!
« Reply #3489 on: June 07, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »

IDIOTS!

Babble on a roll  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:
In the absence of light, darkness prevails!
------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY HAAS
Philipp Kohlschreiber  -  Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #3490 on: June 07, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »

IDIOTS!

It's a discussion board Babbs... the whole fun is in doing that. Sure Roger's the GOAT, that's a given, everyone knows that - that's easy to do in fact. Now our task as ardent supporters is to try and see through those 5% non believers, that's the fun, that's the fight!  :)~  :)~
If we just accept the truth and fact that Roger's GOAT then there'd be nothing to talk about   :)~  :)~ :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #3491 on: June 07, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »

IDIOTS!

Sure, Roger is the greatest in most people's eyes, and there has to be a Federer's detractors out there in order to keep the thread going. 

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3492 on: June 07, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »

IDIOTS!

It's a discussion board Babbs... the whole fun is in doing that. Sure Roger's the GOAT, that's a given, everyone knows that - that's easy to do in fact. Now our task as ardent supporters is to try and see through those 5% non believers, that's the fun, that's the fight!  :)~  :)~
If we just accept the truth and fact that Roger's GOAT then there'd be nothing to talk about   :)~  :)~ :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

:rofl_2:

It's great to have a few holdouts to unload on.   :rofl_2:

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #3493 on: June 07, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

IDIOTS!

Great Babble! I will not stop until all people believe, and if that means that I should kill those 5% I will do it!!!!!

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #3494 on: June 07, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »
It doesn't matter to me who thinks who is the GOAT, but Kittens, you leave me confused.

I was just right now reading through the old posts and saw this earlier:

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=12556.msg372719#msg372719

Laver is still the GOAT by far.  I grudgingly concede Federer is probably now the Open Era GOAT ahead of both Sampras and Borg.   However unless Roger beats Nadal in multiple major finals in the future, beats him in a French Open final in the future, wins atleast one Calender Slam, and turns around his head to head with Murray as well, he will never be a threat to Laver's undisputed GOAT status.

but now you're saying :

http://www.tennis4you.com/forum/index.php?topic=12556.msg372914#msg372914

This isn't me trying to go into your history to find conflicting remarks either.  I just read both of these statements in a single sitting, with the two posts being within 6 hours of each other.  

Did you suddenly change your mind or are you just trying to balance all the pro-Federer comments with something to bring the people back down to Earth?

EDIT: Scratch that, four hours, not six.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:15:44 PM by TheEternalCowboy »

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #3495 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:08 PM »

miticfam,
WOW! I can't believe how kittens can become such a hatred toward Federer.

That was one of the most rediculous post I've ever read. 

Kittens had turn into Shankar!!!!!!

Well he has right to hate him, but it's stupid to bash him, I "hate" Nadal but I never bash him for his achievements, like RG-Wimby double

Offline kittens25

• Tennis God
« Reply #3496 on: June 07, 2009, 05:15:58 PM »
I made my last post on purpose to see how people would react.  I was feeling a little swamped by all the Fed overkill love, I decided to throw some spice into it.   :)>>>>

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #3497 on: June 07, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
I made my last post on purpose to see how people would react.  I was feeling a little swamped by all the Fed overkill love, I decided to throw some spice into it.   :)>>>>

I figured.  It worked.  People are reacting like chili peppers have been directly injected into their taste buds.  

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #3498 on: June 07, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
Actually, the clay season is still my least liked season on tour.  But this year was more successful than the others.  I'm just glad it's finally over.
the clay season is not over, it's maybe over for some players/stars' fans but it is not over for tennis fans.
the clay season started in Viņa del Mar and will finish after the USO in Bucharest, so the fans of the sport who loved and are interested in this surface have still a lot of matches to enjoy. 
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #3499 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »

Well don't do that again!!! We are very emotional today, don't ruin it