Author Topic: 2009 OFFICIAL FRENCH OPEN THREAD - ATP  (Read 129651 times)

Offline Pamqnx

• Tennis God
Re: 2009 OFFICIAL FRENCH OPEN THREAD - ATP
« Reply #3500 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
I made my last post on purpose to see how people would react.  I was feeling a little swamped by all the Fed overkill love, I decided to throw some spice into it.   :)>>>>

I figured.  It worked.  People are reacting like chili peppers have been directly injected into their taste buds.  

Chili :drool:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:29:55 PM by Pamqnx »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3501 on: June 07, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »
There's no guarantee that Nadal will rule the clay like he has in the past.

DPotro really impressed me more than anyone because he can improve.
Nole has closed the gap also.

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #3502 on: June 07, 2009, 05:26:34 PM »
Let's just talk about Del Potro overall.  It seems like he's going to step it up and turn it into a battle between the Top 5, not just Top 4.  Another character enters the fray.  Good times.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #3503 on: June 07, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Pam, you're a goofball!  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:  I mean that in a good way  ;-()
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline wissywig

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3504 on: June 07, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
I made my last post on purpose to see how people would react.  I was feeling a little swamped by all the Fed overkill love, I decided to throw some spice into it.   :)>>>>

I figured.  It worked.  People are reacting like chili peppers have been directly injected into their taste buds.  

Chili :drool:

Holy crumb that looks good  :drool:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #3505 on: June 07, 2009, 05:32:57 PM »
Let's just talk about Del Potro overall.  It seems like he's going to step it up and turn it into a battle between the Top 5, not just Top 4.  Another character enters the fray.  Good times.

Dpotro has very good mental strength, I noticed it when he beat Nadal recently and of course friday in the semis.

Just a matter of time to include him at the top if not now.

Around the UO of last year I thought it would be Cilic making some noise.

Offline yellowball

• Tennis God
  • He's definitely back!
« Reply #3506 on: June 07, 2009, 05:33:53 PM »
Ha ha! You Fedfans are like a lunatic religious cult.

You've got 95% of the people believers, but you're still going after the 5%   :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

IDIOTS!

It's a discussion board Babbs... the whole fun is in doing that. Sure Roger's the GOAT, that's a given, everyone knows that - that's easy to do in fact. Now our task as ardent supporters is to try and see through those 5% non believers, that's the fun, that's the fight!  :)~  :)~
If we just accept the truth and fact that Roger's GOAT then there'd be nothing to talk about   :)~  :)~ :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Wonder what he'll wear to Wimbledon this year. Even tho' he didn't win last year, I'm sure the win at RG which now gives him a win at each of the slams, and he's equalled Sampras, there's sure to be something special in the fashion department... Rog loves fashion.  Perhaps more gold on his whites. I can't wait to see.  :))

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #3507 on: June 07, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »

Wonder what he'll wear to Wimbledon this year. Even tho' he didn't win last year, I'm sure the win at RG which now gives him a win at each of the slams, and he's equalled Sampras, there's sure to be something special in the fashion department... Rog loves fashion.  Perhaps more gold on his whites. I can't wait to see.  :))

Him and Rafa will wear matching white blazers, each with embroidered pink emblems representing their individual logo.

And they'll forgo the man purses and go with fanny packs. 

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #3508 on: June 07, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »
The only way for Federer to be a worthy GOAT candidate of any degree would be to:

-Win atleast 2 Calender Slams
-Wins slams over a 12 year span/13 year stretch so win atleast 1 slam in 2015
-Gain a winning head to head with his main rival Nadal in slams, so gain atleast 5 more wins vs Rafa in slams than Nadal can on him
-Beats Nadal in a French Open final atleast once
-End the year ranked #1 atleast 3 more times
-Gains a winning head to head with Murray, not even strictly the slams is good enough in this case but overall

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.

First of all, I think the whole goat conversation is a complete waste of time, and energy.
This list is pretty amazing. You are asking of Federer more that any of the others accomplished to allow him to achieve status with them. Do you really think hasn't already accomplished more than all but perhaps 2 or 3 of your listed players?
Secondly, Keep in mind that the US Open and Australian Open were played on grass when Laver won his two grand slams. So technically, he won the Grand Slam, but never won a grand slam on a hard court (not that he could have if he tried). Graf's 1986 Super Slam is really the only true Grand Slam where she won all the tournaments in their current configuration.
But that's enough of my goat talk. Keep thinking... maybe you can invent a couple more requirements over the next few months.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #3509 on: June 07, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »
I think the whole goat conversation is a complete waste of time, and energy.
I agree.
who is the greatest female tennis player of all time?  And the best male player?
It’s very relative and I wouldn’t like to say this one or that one.  They’re different times and there are too many great names to settle on just one.
its like discussing which is the best major:  all four are really great and I like them all.
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #3510 on: June 07, 2009, 06:05:31 PM »
I think the whole goat conversation is a complete waste of time, and energy.
I agree.
who is the greatest female tennis player of all time?  And the best male player?
It’s very relative and I wouldn’t like to say this one or that one.  They’re different times and there are too many great names to settle on just one.
its like discussing which is the best major:  all four are really great and I like them all.

I personally find it insulting to try and pick one player to be GOAT......it seems to diminish the people and their accomplishments that set the standards for others to reach. We get into these discussions on the boxing forum I am a member on; and it's just ludicrous to try and pick an all time great; everyone brings something different to the table. Evolution of the game is all that matters imo.
Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #3511 on: June 07, 2009, 06:06:03 PM »
The only way for Federer to be a worthy GOAT candidate of any degree would be to:

-Gain a winning head to head with his main rival Nadal in slams, so gain atleast 5 more wins vs Rafa in slams than Nadal can on him
-Gains a winning head to head with Murray, not even strictly the slams is good enough in this case but overall

If he achieves this it would put him in the conversation with Laver, Sampras, Rosewall, Gonzales, and Borg.  Right now he is in the second tier with people like Tilden, Budge, Kramer, and Perry; just above the 3rd tier of Lendl, Connors, McEnroe, Cochet, LaCoste.

You keep telling yourself that  :rofl_2: Honestly, that's the funniest thing I've seen today :rofl_2:

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #3512 on: June 07, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »

You keep telling yourself that  :rofl_2: Honestly, that's the funniest thing I've seen today :rofl_2:

That was pretty funny :)) And after all that Roger will be asked to pee champagne and poop gold bullion. :rofl_2:

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #3513 on: June 07, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

That was pretty funny :)) And after all that Roger will be asked to pee champagne and poop gold bullion. :rofl_2:

Actually all Federer really needs to do to make kittens annoint him GOAT is have plastic surgery  :rofl_2:

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #3514 on: June 07, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
Fed is the GOAT in my book..... :\
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #3515 on: June 07, 2009, 07:05:43 PM »

And that girly in your avatar is the GOAT in mine :bright idea:

Emma

Offline xartiex

• Tennis God
« Reply #3516 on: June 07, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »

Oh yes, Allison Stokke. I believe I can find her on campus here...LOL  :thumbs-up:

Offline jeffrx

• Tennis God
« Reply #3517 on: June 07, 2009, 08:53:13 PM »

My brotha'.... :)
Lots of people make passes at me, I'm a tennis player!

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #3518 on: June 07, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »

Wow!!  You must be seething right now.

Love how you expect Federer to beat the COMBINED results of everyone you listed.  Just hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:17:37 PM by TheLogo »
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #3519 on: June 07, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »

Think about it.  Kittens wants Roger to win minimum 22 slams, to be considered in the conversation!!

Shankar, are you logging in under kittens account?
The Logo Knows!!!