Author Topic: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!  (Read 18195 times)

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
  • Federer Forever.... and Soderling too!
THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!
« on: June 09, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
hello guys. i noticed there isn't any thread for robin soderling. i wonder if there are any fans who would like to devote a forum for him.... i am a new fan, and i don't know much about him, but i'd really like to start...
Federer Forever... and Soderling too!

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
Re: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »

Residence : Monaco
Date of birth : August 14, 1984 (1984-08-14) (age 22)
Place of birth Tibro, Sweden
Height : 6 ft 3 in (190 cm)
Weight : 180 lbs (81 kg)
Turned Pro : 2001
Plays : Right Two-handed backhand
Career Prize : $1,772,598

Robin Söderling is a Swedish tennis player. He wears Adidas clothing and uses a Head Liquidmetal Radical MP racquet. Robin Söderling made his first steps in international tennis in November 1998 in Luxembourg, when at age of 14 he played his official junior tournament, losing the opening match to the Dutch Fred Jr. Hemmes (who ironically he trails also in the men's tour, even though he's never been a top 150 player, and has only one ATP victory - over Robin). 

2002 - Robin Söderling tried to break into the men's circuit, playing five more ATP tournaments and the second round of the US Open. In the Challenger circuit he achieved a 16-8 record, and he played in the US Open Junior tournament where he reached the final.

2003 - The transition to the main tour was completed as he reached the third round in the Wimbledon (coming from the qualifications) and got an ATP final in Stockholm (losing a decisive tie-break there), earning the year-end ranking of 86.

2004 - Robin's very first ATP title - in Lyon with a final against Xavier Malisse. He played also another final - in Marseille. By the end of the year, he was a top 40 player.

2005 - Robin had his first serious injury, eventually resulting in a knee operation in March. But even though not fit to play many tournaments, he managed to score another title - in Milan (b. Radek Štěpánek in final). After a mediocre and injury troubled season from there on, Robin reached just one good result (third round in the US Open), before going through another surgery in October.

2006 - He bounced back from 100th place in the Indesit ATP rankings to top 50 within three months, even though knee and shoulder injuries still prevented him from playing at his best. Helped the Swedish team with two wins to keep its World Group Davis Cup spot in a play-off in Brazil. During the season he was healthy most of the time and managed a good climb, although he failed to impress at the Slams. But in the end of the year, he made many points and finished at career-high place of 25.

2007 - Soderling made it to the round of 32 at Wimbledon, where he lost to Rafael Nadal in a five-set epic. He caused controversy on the court when he attracted Nadal's attention, then mocked him by tugging on his shorts, in the manner that Nadal often does.

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 06:17:37 AM »
Player Profile

Robin Soderling (SWE)

Birthdate: 14-Aug-84

Birthplace: Tibro, Sweden

Residence: Monte Carlo, Monaco

Height: 6'4'' (193 cm)

Weight: 192 lbs (87 kg)

Plays: Right-handed

Turned Pro: 2001

Coach: Peter Carlsson

© Getty Images

Current South African Airways ATP Ranking: 12 

Best South African Airways ATP Ranking: 12 (8-Jun-09) 

Current ATP Doubles Ranking: 133

Best ATP Doubles Ranking: 109 (11-May-09) 

Clothing/Equipment

Shoes: N/A N/A 

Racquet: HEAD HEAD Microgel Radical Pro Order online

Clothing: Lotto Lotto 

YTD Review
Singles Record: 18 - 11

Singles Titles: 0

Doubles Record: 2 - 6

Doubles Titles: 0

Prize Money: $995,568

Career Review
Singles Record: 184 - 129

Singles Titles: 3

Doubles Record: 29 - 39

Doubles Titles: 1

Prize Money: $4,049,544

Current Year Highlights
HIGHLIGHTS 2009
Singles
  ATP & Grand Slam F: Roland Garros SF: Auckland QF: Brisbane
  Challenger W: Sunrise

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:42:10 AM »
One-on-one with Robin Soderling
Sunday, May 31, 2009
By Benjamin Adler

Robin Soderling pulled off one of the biggest upsets in Grand Slam history on Sunday when he blew away reigning champion Rafael Nadal in four sets. Intriguingly, the hard-hitting Swede has a reputation for putting his peers’ backs up at times, but it does not seem to bother him in the slightest.

“If people don’t like me, there’s nothing I can do about it. I just concentrate on my game. I’m here to play tennis, not to make friends. I don’t care about being famous.” says the current world No25, who broke into the top 20 for the first time in his career in February 2009.

His rematch with Nadal had been given extra spice by the cheek the Swede showed during their third-round encounter at Wimbledon in 2007. At the beginning of the fifth set, Magnus Norman’s protégé imitated the Spaniard by adjusting his underwear before every game.

A lot of fuss about nothing

"Quite frankly, that was a lot of fuss about nothing. I’m disappointed that Nadal complained to the press without talking to me about it directly. Personally, if I have a problem with a player I go and talk to him face-to-face.”

So has Soderling got any friends on the tour, apart from the ever-loyal Jarkko Nieminen? "Not many. I used to hang around with the other Swedes, but there are fewer on the circuit now,” says the softly-spoken Scandinavian, who toppled No14 David Ferrer in the third round.

Evidently, that lack of company does not weigh on him too heavily. Following an injury to his left wrist which kept him away from the tour between August 2007 and February 2008, Soderling had his best season ever in 2008, chalking up a win in Lyon, two finals and a place in the top 20. After a difficult start to the 2009 season, the Swede is finally enjoying the fruits of his consistency which, according to the man himself, failed him in the past.

Aiming for the top 10

"Now I feel that I can show my potential and accomplish great things. I want to get into the top 10 and the only way to do that is through being consistent. A handful of good results is not enough. All the guys in the top 30 dream of breaking into the top 10 and can make it happen. If I stay fit I know I can do it.”

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
  • GLADIATOR: THE KING OF CLAY
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:08:01 AM »
This room is full of Söderling fans

:)) :))
"In the last game, I didn't see nothing. The true, I wasn't see nothing, no?" Nadal about the 2008 Wimbledon final

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:20:42 AM »
yeah... and that's the same number of people who thought nadal won against him in the 4th round of RG!

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:02:14 AM »
and the same number of knees nadal has left!

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
Nadal complex huh? ..-) I personally would never make jokes about Roger's injuries...anyway this thread is about Söderling,so I leave you with your new hero
"In the last game, I didn't see nothing. The true, I wasn't see nothing, no?" Nadal about the 2008 Wimbledon final

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
Nadal complex huh? ..-) I personally would never make jokes about Roger's injuries...anyway this thread is about Söderling,so I leave you with your new hero

Which would be impossible anyway.

Hmm, didn't want to hurt your feelings, was just kidding.

Thanks!

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »

it would have been nice if you had arrived at that conclusion before you posted the room image. and hello, we're not making fun of nadal's injuries, because there isn't any in the first place. how convenient to have it after the 4th round, and just before wimbledon! hahaha. are we expecting an early exit, hence the eternal knee scapegoat? ..-) ..-) ..-) ..-) duhhhhh...

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »

exactly. don't apologize to him, he started it.

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:39:31 AM »

I started talking about Söderling...what about you two? You ranting about Nadal...so...Next time I will put more  ":))", seems 2 wasnt enough. The image I posted was not that inaccurate before Roland Garros. Seems Soda has more fans now :whistle:

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:55 AM »

No, but you'll happily accuse him of lying about them  :whistle:

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »

I started talking about Söderling...what about you two? You ranting about Nadal...so...Next time I will put more  ":))", seems 2 wasnt enough. The image I posted was not that inaccurate before Roland Garros. Seems Soda has more fans now :whistle:

then perhaps you should have posted the image before roland garros, no? and hey, why are you so affected with soderling and the people who like him? i thought the RG loss was but a negligible dent because of the knees? is it really that difficult to accept a loss? i mean you know, i wouldn't get in rafa's thread just to be nasty... hahaha... as always, the cliche is true: actions speak louder than words!

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 09:59:07 AM »

then perhaps you should have posted the image before roland garros, no? and hey, why are you so affected with soderling and the people who like him? i thought the RG loss was but a negligible dent because of the knees? is it really that difficult to accept a loss? i mean you know, i wouldn't get in rafa's thread just to be nasty... hahaha... as always, the cliche is true: actions speak louder than words!
I made a joke about Söderling being the least liked player in the ATP, so that means I'm affected by Soderling and his fans...thanks Dr Freud ..-) Actually Robin seemed like a nicer guy after the loss. Also, I accepted the loss, check the Rafa thread, I said Sodering played better. So,  next time look at my 'actions' before accusing me. Cliche, you said? ..-)

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
oh well... you can waste your time justifying the empty room, and trying to make it look like you meant no harm. a nadal fan posting an empty room explaining the number of fans soderling has, in soderling's fan thread? and then complain about soderling fans reacting? and trying to come clean by referring to prior posts in some thread other than where the insinuation was made? come on! there is no excuse for idiocy. another cliche! and gee, the nerve to say you won't make fun of roger's injuries?!!!! yet again, there is no excuse for blatant hypocrisy!

Offline Yiyo

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
oh well... you can waste your time justifying the empty room, and trying to make it look like you meant no harm. a nadal fan posting an empty room explaining the number of fans soderling has, in soderling's fan thread? and then complain about soderling fans reacting? and trying to come clean by referring to prior posts in some thread other than where the insinuation was made? come on! there is no excuse for idiocy. another cliche! and gee, the nerve to say you won't make fun of roger's injuries?!!!! yet again, there is no excuse for blatant hypocrisy!

Hey, dont think everybody is like you, I'd never make fun of an injury, no matter what player it is. My prior posts have nothing to do to come clean, you said I didn't accept the loss, then I show you I could, simple as that. So, with the idiocy thing, and the injury thing, you have depicted yourself. You could learn some modals from Roger ;-()

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »
i'm happy being a fan of both roger and soderling, and i guess you can bee too,  being a fan of others. so don't complain if people get upset when you insult others liking some player other than yours. we wouldn't have mentioned anything about nadal's loss, had you (being a nadal fan using nadals pic for avatar) not posted that image. and besides, being a new soderling fan, i guess it would be very difficult for me to uphold this recent realization without the slightest reference to the RG triumph over nadal because obviously it is on this victory that this new found affection for soderling is hinged.

and look, nadal is a superb player, and has defeated federer on several occassions so i have this quiet respect for him. but when you came with a not so friendly post, well... one thing led to another.

anyway, it was actually nice to correspond with someone like you. so... good night!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 11:30:14 AM »
Great run, deserves to be celebrated.

not the best quality, but the best highlight package I found (no sound)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3zZhPMRsI[/youtube]
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 12:22:17 PM »
And to help clear Soderling's name fromt he Wimbledon incident, Nadal made fun of Soderling first:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvgnYDTTQ0[/youtube]

And here is a video of what Soderling was referring to (as if you didn't know):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jUGufaJek [/youtube]
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com