Author Topic: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!  (Read 18945 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 01:31:17 PM »
People hate Soderling for that  ..-) 
No probrlem, here-ah (as if you didn't know)  ;-()
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
  • Federer Forever.... and Soderling too!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 07:51:59 PM »
People hate Soderling for that  ..-) 
No probrlem, here-ah (as if you didn't know)  ;-()

people change. what he had to say about RF after the RG finals can be reflective of the man that he has become...
Federer Forever... and Soderling too!

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
oh thanks a lot for the videos. you know i'm a novice in the "posting industry" haha, i didn't even know how to post a picture... by trial and error i figured it out... so thanks again... i know soderling doesn't have a great fan base, but he certainly deserves attention....  :) :) :) ;-()

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »
Roland Garros
Paris, FranceJune 9, 2009

Roland Garros Heroes Soderling, Federer Honoured By Home Countries © Arne Forsell, Bildbyrån

Robin Soderling returned home in style following his surprising run to the Roland Garros final, with a private jet arranged by the Catella Swedish Open and airline partners to take Sweden’s newest tennis hero from Paris to Stockholm on Monday.
Soderling enjoyed a meal onboard the flight accompanied by members of his team, including girlfriend Jenni Mostrom, coach Magnus Norman and fitness trainer Ali Ghelem. He also visited the cockpit before disembarking the jet to do press.

“Robin has been and is very important to Catella Swedish Open,” said Christer Hult from PR Event. “His results in Paris have created a tennis hype as well as a rush for tickets to this year’s [ATP World Tour 250] tournament… We now have the opportunity to give something back to Robin. He and his team really deserve this.”

Roger Federer has also been honoured by his home country following his history-making triumph at Roland Garros. The tennis venue in his hometown of Basel, St. Jakobshalle, will be renamed Roger Federer Arena following a planned renovation. Federer is a three-time champion at the venue, which hosts the Davidoff Swiss Indoors Basel - an ATP World Tour 500 tennis tournament - in the autumn.

The 27-year-old Federer has been in high demand since tying Pete Sampras’ record of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, spending more than four hours doing interviews with worldwide media outlets, including CNN, France Television, BBC TV, ESPN, Eurosport, Canal+, Al Jazeera, The New York Times, Sports Illustrated, L’Equipe, El Pais, La Gazzetta dello Sport, Reuters, AP and DPA. The Swiss also did two photo shoots at the Arc de Triomphe and at the Trocadero overlooking the Eiffel Tower.

Federer will grace the cover of this week’s Sports Illustrated, with writer S.L. Price arguing that Federer is the best tennis player ever: “Historians will look at Federer’s résumé—at least five U.S. Open titles, five Wimbledons, three Australians and one French—measure it against Laver’s 11 and Sampras’s Frenchless 14 and declare him supreme. But there’s also the matter of Federer’s unparalleled consistency: Federer has made an astonishing 20 straight Grand Slam semifinals.”

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 08:28:05 AM »
And to help clear Soderling's name fromt he Wimbledon incident, Nadal made fun of Soderling first:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvgnYDTTQ0[/youtube]

And here is a video of what Soderling was referring to (as if you didn't know):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jUGufaJek [/youtube]

I love how often Nadal fans refer to that despite him probably acting like more of a jerk in that video than Soderling: first the 'new balls' and then the 'vamos' after Soderling dumps a ball in the net  :whistle:

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »

I love how often Nadal fans refer to that despite him probably acting like more of a jerk in that video than Soderling: first the 'new balls' and then the 'vamos' after Soderling dumps a ball in the net  :whistle:

That always puzzled me as well.  Soderling's butt-picking mock seemed like nothing more than a (pretty funny IMO!) "back at ya" to Nadal for getting pissy about the new balls.  Though I didn't see the whole match, maybe there was more to it?  It seems out of character for Rafa to act like that, maybe he was just having a bad day (it was a close match!).  But given this incident, it's somewhat ironic that Soderling took him out at the French.  I also noted at the end of the match at the French that it was a pretty quick handshake :)

Good on you Prodigal for starting a Soderling thread - he certainly brought it to the French; it'll be interesting to see if he's ready to make a move to the next level.
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »

That always puzzled me as well.  Soderling's butt-picking mock seemed like nothing more than a (pretty funny IMO!) "back at ya" to Nadal for getting pissy about the new balls.  Though I didn't see the whole match, maybe there was more to it?  It seems out of character for Rafa to act like that, maybe he was just having a bad day (it was a close match!).  But given this incident, it's somewhat ironic that Soderling took him out at the French.  I also noted at the end of the match at the French that it was a pretty quick handshake :)

Good on you Prodigal for starting a Soderling thread - he certainly brought it to the French; it'll be interesting to see if he's ready to make a move to the next level.

i hope he does.... the poor guy was somehow a victim of the media taking sides. as the video would show, he did it to avenge the mockery with the ball. it's a pity that not enough attention was given to the bigger picture. sure, others may say he is not popular among the players, but he just keeps pretty much to himself. besides, the real him came out in the RG Finals, during the ceremony. His speech showed what kind of sportsman he truly is! :)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
I didn't see the whole story on Robin, maybe some of us have been too harsh on him.
He was really a gentleman at the RG ceremony, kind of surprised me, I thought of him differently. Maybe he's OK but just a little strange.  :dunno:

Offline Fedsuperfan

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
can we hv pic of his girlfriend? I think she's pretty.

Offline FreeBird

• Tennis God
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 08:29:20 AM »

LOL!!  Me thinks Fedsuperfan has his priorities in order :)

I was also impressed with Soderling's post-final speech.  Very gracious given all the bad press that he has taken over the past couple years. 
Good luck on the court is nice to have, but it's usually extraneous when playing against Baker.

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »

LOL!!  Me thinks Fedsuperfan has his priorities in order :)

I was also impressed with Soderling's post-final speech.  Very gracious given all the bad press that he has taken over the past couple years. 

hahaha. i recall someone saying, she's like victoria secret hot! i'll try my best to get a pic....
 ;-() prodigal

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
i think his gf's name is jenni mostrom. i'll google her one time.
;-() prodigal

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
Thanks for the article on Soderling's reception in Sweden after his exploits in Paris. He was impressive throughout the tournament. I felt sorry that Robin had to suffer the indifference of the spectators,  who honestly cannot be faulted for supporting the 2nd best player in the world.
I think Soderling can reach another slam final. When he does, he will be better prepared to win it, regardless of the lack of crowd support.

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
Thanks for the article on Soderling's reception in Sweden after his exploits in Paris. He was impressive throughout the tournament. I felt sorry that Robin had to suffer the indifference of the spectators,  who honestly cannot be faulted for supporting the 2nd best player in the world.
I think Soderling can reach another slam final. When he does, he will be better prepared to win it, regardless of the lack of crowd support.

Oh yeah, i'm still trying to know him, really. I wish there were a lot of publicity on him. And yeah, i do want him to reach another GS final, although when the time comes that he has to face Roger, i wouldn't have second thoughts about supporting Roger. But wouldn't that be nice? Roger with another trophy, and Robin with a runner up plate...
;-() prodigal

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »
I will follow his progress in this year's Wimbledon. Like quite a few players, he is big, strong and has the temperament for big matches. It would be thrilling if he makes it to the round of 16! Nevertheless, Roger is my favourite for the tournament win! I suspect, Nadal, Murray, Haas and Djokovic might have something to say about that.. :gleam:

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 09:14:09 AM »
I will follow his progress in this year's Wimbledon. Like quite a few players, he is big, strong and has the temperament for big matches. It would be thrilling if he makes it to the round of 16! Nevertheless, Roger is my favourite for the tournament win! I suspect, Nadal, Murray, Haas and Djokovic might have something to say about that.. :gleam:
yes they do, especially nadal who is quite annoyed by the guy and perhaps a bit (?) humiliated by the paris upset... and of course, murray who has no qualms of conscience about announcing in public that he wants to win wimbledon, and become number 1 in the atp ranking by the end of the year! well, i have nothing against players secretly hankering for the number 1 rank, but to say it in public, knowing fully well that there are others who have better chances, well... i don't know.... it's a bit, ambitious?! or a reflection oh how much he thinks of himself. gee,...
 :Confused: prodigal

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »

apparently, she plays golf for her university, a varsity or something...

;-() prodigal

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »
From Yahoo Tennis:

List of top 16 seeds for 2009 Wimbledon championships
3 hours, 14 minutes ago

June 17 (Reuters) - List of top 16 seeded players for the 2009 Wimbledon championships starting on Monday.

Men 1. Rafael Nadal, Spain 2. Roger Federer Switzerland 3. Andy Murray, Britain 4. Novak Djokovic, Serbia 5. Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina 6. Andy Roddick, U.S. 7. Fernando Verdasco, Spain 8. Gilles Simon, France 9. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, France 10. Fernando Gonzalez, Chile 11. Marin Cilic, Croatia 12. Nikolay Davydenko, Russia 13. Robin Soderling, Sweden 14. Gael Monfils, France 15. Marat Safin, Russia 16. Tommy Robredo, Spain

Women 1. Dinara Safina, Russia 2. Serena Williams, U.S. 3. Venus Williams, U.S. 4. Elena Dementieva, Russia 5. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Russia 6. Jelena Jankovic, Serbia 7. Vera Zvonareva, Russia 8. Victoria Azarenka, Belarus 9. Caroline Wozniacki, Denmark 10. Nadia Petrova, Russia 11. Agnieszka Radwanska, Poland 12. Marion Bartoli, France 13. Ana Ivanovic, Serbia 14. Dominika Cibulkova, Slovakia 15. Flavia Pennetta, Italy 16. Zheng Jie, China

(Editing by Neil Maidment)

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2009, 11:12:34 PM »
Roger Federer on Wimbledon:

Q. Do you consider Andy Murray to be your principal threat now that Rafa is out?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I mean, I always said Andy I think is a wonderful grass court player, and he showed a little bit last year even though he was not very close with Gasquet in that one match where he fought very brave.

But, no, you know, I think with the success he's had on hard courts, you know, the last let's say especially last year where he's been very, very solid and very, very good. I always knew that Andy was going to be, you know, one of the toughest ones to beat on grass next to Rafa and Djokovic, and I think even like Del Potros, Tsongas, Gonzálezs, and now even Soderling.

There are so many guys around who are dangerous and up and coming still. Maybe it's hard for them to win the tournament, but on any given day they can create a huge upset. Then you have the usual suspects: Roddick I think is going to be so difficult to beat again because he's playing better. And other players, so it's being to be an interesting championship, I think.

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »
I think, Roger is spot on. The British tabloids want him to name Murray as a title contender at Wimbledon, but that would be unfair. Roddick has made 2 finals in the past, Djokovic - 2 semis. Murray could make his mark at this year's version. He has been consistent this last year, especially on the hard courts. But, there are many players like Ancic, Cilic, Gulbis, even Lopez or Gonzalez, who are deserving of attention at Wimbledon, just as Murray. :\