Author Topic: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!  (Read 20330 times)

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
  • My kitty, Athena, reacting to a dtl bh by Robin
Re: THE ROBIN SODERLING THREAD.... anything about him!
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2009, 09:37:53 AM »
:)) :)) :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ) :ice cream: :cloud 9: :cheer: :rasta: :harp: :Fool:

Well, what can one say about a match like this one? Robin's second round match lasted 16 minutes and ended with Robin leading 2-0, 40-0. Granola fell awkwardly attempting to reach a crazily angled and powerful forehand winner, as he went on to be broken in his first service game. Granola has already lost twice to Robin this year (last match was at Wimbledon, 2nd round again), and Robin has dominated their match-ups, so having a back injury on top of all that probably seemed to make continuing futile. Robin looked pretty decent for the short duration of the match, as he won just about every point I think.

Robin will be well rested for Sam Querrey in the 3rd Round on Saturday. The big question is has Sam played too much (played in semi-final and final of Pilot Penn last Saturday due to rain canceled matches) or has Robin played too little (he may not be in match shape)? I tend to think Sam might be vulnerable to fatigue, and Robin has a huge mental edge with the H2H, the last victory in late May at the ARAG Team Cup, with Robin taking it easily 6-2, 6-2.

oh thank you. i may be mean but i was kinda happy when i saw he's on to the third round... now i feel guilty... so sorry for Garnola..

i'm a bit worried about the match with querrey. it's an american crowd! but i hope his experience at the roland garros final will be able to help him deal with the situation.

i'd really like to know more about soderling. i'll be looking his name up in every forum available.

thanks again! it's nice not to feel alone... although i'm sure, there are still lots of soderling fans out there...
 :) prodigal

Thank you! I'm a bit worried too. Sam has really been in-form this summer and recently beat Roddick and took Verdasco deep into the third set at the Pilot Penn. I watched a little bit of his match yesterday and he looked pretty sharp. I like Sam too, so it's too bad they play each other. I'll be rooting for the winner to keep on going, that is for certain. Again, I hope Robin isn't too rusty. The first match was probably enough to get him going. And since the schedule is so crazy at the U.S. Open, I've noticed players who get default wins often do better overall because they have more gas in the tank. So if he beats Sam, this walkover will probably be huge for him.

It's no accident that the best players usually get the default wins and walkovers. I think if the opponent is pretty sure they need their "A" game to have a chance, defaulting at the risk of further injury in an expected loss becomes the practical decision. I don't think the injury to Granola was too serious. He just pulled a muscle in his back, took a medical timeout at 1-0 for Robin, came out and immediately lost his first service game, and when Robin was up 40-0 on his own service, he defaulted. This is trivial, but I thought defaulting when Robin was up 2-0, 40-0 was kind of low class. Why not let him serve that extra point and default at the end of the game? I guess losing 2-0 looks better than 3-0? It wasn't like he was immobile or seriously hurt. Anyway, not a big deal.  

Here is the link to the Soderling Chat Thread on the Men's Tennis Forum. I couldn't get "Soderking" as it was already taken. I'm "KingSodaPop", but I really hate that moniker in retro and will probably change it. I was trying to be goofy, but that's a little too goofy:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=4756

Link to video of interview after first round victory:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/01092009/58/soderling-encouraged-winning-start.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:59:24 AM by Soderking »
Soderking, Nole, Del Pony, Rafa and a Rejuvenated Nalby for the Love of Tennis...

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »
I'm feeling pretty overjoyed right now. Robin's success continues and he goes into the second week of the U.S. Open for the first time in his career. Here is the New York Time's early breakdown of the match he won in 4 sets over Sam Querrey today:

Soderling Ends Querrey’s Run at the Open
By JOSHUA ROBINSON
Robin Soderling seems to be one of those names you always see in the first week of a Grand Slam, driving a top player to four or five sets before ultimately obliging and letting him through. Then he sometimes sticks around to play in the doubles. Such is the career of a second-tier player.

At the Australian Open, he has never been past the second round. At Wimbledon, his best is the fourth round. And until this year, he had never seen a Grand Slam final — that came at Roland Garros where he fell to Roger Federer.

But after a characteristically solid performance on Saturday, he will make his first trip into the second week of the United States Open. Soderling, who rose to a career high No. 11 world ranking in April, defeated the American Sam Querrey in four sets, 6-2, 7-5, 6-7, 6-1.

Soderling took the first two sets in just under an hour, without ever looking pressed by Querrey’s serve. Only in the third, once Querrey worked a number of the unforced errors out of his game, was Soderling seriously troubled. It went to a tiebreak and Soderling had a chance to end the match, but lost a hard-fought point.

Querrey survived long enough to collect a rousing cheer from the home crowd on the Grandstand.

But he seemed to fall apart in the fourth set as Soderling turned up the pressure. He fell behind, 3-0, almost immediately. He showed some signs of life to claw back to win one game and fought bravely in the fifth game. But mistakes cost him several opportunities at deuce and Soderling managed to stretch the lead to 4-1.

If the outcome of the third set was ultimately a red herring, this was a real turning point. Soderling broke a demoralized Querrey, who did not score in the final two games, and closed out the match in 2 hours 21 minutes.
Soderking, Nole, Del Pony, Rafa and a Rejuvenated Nalby for the Love of Tennis...

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
Nice win for Robin.
Hopefully he can make another deep run at this slam. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
Nice win for Robin.
Hopefully he can make another deep run at this slam. :)
:spot on:

Thanks a bunch, monstertruck.

Well, talk about flying under radar...no interview is listed for Robin's comprehensive victory over Sam Querrey, but they did interview the loser of the match and uploaded that to the site. Actually, Sam made some extraordinarily insightful and kind remarks about Robin's game. So this as good as it gets unless someone knows if Robin did get inteview, and if so, the location of the transcipt:

Saturday, September 5, 2009THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Sluggish start. Thoughts overall?
SAM QUERREY: Wasn't the greatest start. He played well, though. Never hit the serve under 130. Amazing backhand. Flat backhand up the line. Played well.
I was happy, though, after I went down two sets to love, coming back and taking that third set there.

Q. I know it's a bad day right now, but do you feel the ascension of your game continued in this Open?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I didn't really feel great all three matches. Still felt pretty good. You know, I guess you look at the summer as a whole, it was pretty good.

Q. He's obviously a very good player. Anything in particular about his game that you can't quite put your finger on?
SAM QUERREY: Serve and the flat backhand up the line. Those are just two weapons. The backhand especially. Not many guys hit it like that.

Q. The flatness?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah. Kind of steps into it. He can take it cross court, too. But particularly up the line.

Q. Overly technical, but when you played Nadal here last year, after the first set, you flattened out your forehand. That's when you started beating him at that point. Soderling beat him with the flat ball. Do you think we'll have more flat shots on the tour?
SAM QUERREY: Maybe. I mean, I really don't even know.

Q. The fourth set?
SAM QUERREY: Fourth set, I played a sloppy game, the second game. I had five breakpoints at 3 1. Made all five first serves, which is too good. A couple I made in, he ripped a ball after that. Broke me the next game. I mean, hit like three winners that game.

=================
Someone started a thread in the GM section (titled "soderling") of the Men's Tennis Forum with an inquiry into who Robin Soderling is. Noone really has much more than heresay. I guess that is how he likes it.  :))

Tweet from Jenni (his girlfriend) tonight was funny:  "Back from dinner at Serafina. I love NY. I nevva evva wanna leave. @rsoderling can we please stay? please please please!"
=================
A small little article on U.S. Open website under the "Players" section:

Soderling continues strong season, defeating Querrey
By Jeff Gold
Saturday, September 5, 2009

One point away...and then one set away. But Robin Soderling didn't panic.

Soderling lost a match point in a third set tiebreaker, but then played a convincing fourth set to get by Sam Querrey, 6-2, 7-5, 6-7 (6), 6-1.

“I felt confident all the way through. It’s always tough to lose a match point but he served great during the tiebreaker,” said Soderling, who lost the match point when he couldn’t return a Querrey serve.

A key hold by Soderling leading 3-1 in the fourth put the match away. He saved five break points against him, putting in a first serve on all five of the break points. After finally winning the game, he won the final eight points of the match to put himself in the fourth round. It is the best result Soderling has had in four US Opens.

“Certainly, having some experience playing in the second round of a Grand Slam will help me,” Soderling said. “That hold was huge for me. It definitely got rid of a lot of pressure and I was able to finish it off.”

Soderling gave Querrey fits throughout. He blasted 71 winners against 37 unforced errors. His flat backhand put Querrey on the defensive, and Soderling was able to defeat the American for the fourth time in as many matches. Querrey has only won two sets in the four matches.

“His serve and his flat backhand up the line are tough,” Querrey said. “Not many guys hit like that.”

Querrey had a sluggish first set and still seemed to have difficulty with Soderling’s pace and angles in the second. In the third set, both players held serve to force a tiebreaker. Through 13 points in the tiebreaker, neither player had won a point on the other’s serve, until Querrey finally broke through when Soderling missed a volley down 7-6 in the tiebreaker.

But Querrey’s momentum was short lived, as Soderling once again was in control throughout the fourth set.

The loss ended a great summer for Querrey. The Olympus US Open Series champion had struggled in the first three majors, failing to get beyond the second round, but turned his game on in the summer, and won two matches at the Open.

“I guess if you look at the summer as a whole, it was pretty good for me,” Querrey said.

================
That's it! Good luck against Kolya tomorrow!

Offline propstoart

• Tennis God
  • Fighting Fair
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2009, 05:58:36 AM »
I must concur that Soderling has a super serve and he backs it up with effective play off the return. His forehand is a weapon and that flat backhand is a marvel. In Paris, Nadal tried time and again to drag him out of court with his top-spin forehand, but Robin would just stretch those long arms and bully the ball down the line, usually for a winner. That play of Rafa was also ineffective because no matter how high Nadal's ball kicked onto Soderling's backhand, Robin could always pull it down, cuz as we all know Robin is a big guy. All in all, Soderling is through to the 2nd week of another slam and this is a good thing. I hope this run builds into something memorable.

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »
I must concur that Soderling has a super serve and he backs it up with effective play off the return. His forehand is a weapon and that flat backhand is a marvel. In Paris, Nadal tried time and again to drag him out of court with his top-spin forehand, but Robin would just stretch those long arms and bully the ball down the line, usually for a winner. That play of Rafa was also ineffective because no matter how high Nadal's ball kicked onto Soderling's backhand, Robin could always pull it down, cuz as we all know Robin is a big guy. All in all, Soderling is through to the 2nd week of another slam and this is a good thing. I hope this run builds into something memorable.

:thank-you: :smoke: :toot: :yay: :Fool:  :yay:

Thanks so much, propstoart! Well, I am extremely happy that several people besides myself are happy to see this new player on the rise. I won't say the match looked pretty, and Robin seemed to go from "on fire" mode to "melt-down" mode too many times in this match, but he is through to the U.S. Open QFs for the first time in his career. That means for the year (so far), he has made it the 2nd round at the AO, Final at the FO, 4th round at Wimbledon and QFs at the U.S. Open.

I loved his level of play when down 2-4 in the first set to win it 7-5, and the last set at 6-2. I am hoping Kolya is alright, but find it odd that for the second time in Open, a challenger has declared themselves unfit and then just walked off with their bags. What is going on? This is a slam... I wish I could be in Kolya's shoes to see how serious this was, because it didn't look like he hurt himself to the point of defaulting. But a hamstring injury can be dangerous, so maybe he made the right call. Oh well! Another gift for Robin, and he has to be easily the most rested player going into the QFs as he has only had to play 11 sets in 4 matches.

Yes, propstoart, his game is suited well to play Rafa because his flat and powerful backhand is actually his strongest weapon and he is 6'4", so a high bouncing ball with topspin to his backhand is actually going right into his strike zone. Match-ups can be fascinating, like a paper-scissors-rock kind of game. It is why during College Football, someone could say "Ohio State will be obliterated by USC at home because Navy gave them a contenst." But everything is relative to those participating in the experience as it happens and so as they say, that is why they play the game. Anyway, here are the first articles on the win. I'll put up the interview later. Next up, the winner of the Roger Federer/Tommy Robredo match.

Number 12 seed Robin Soderling has progressed into the quarter-finals of the US Open after the retirement of Nikolay Davydenko.

The heavy-hitting Swede was 7-5 3-6 6-2 up out on Louis Armstrong court before eighth seed Davydenko called it a day after struggling with a leg injury.

Soderling, who reached the final of the French Open earlier this year, will now play his Roland Garros conqueror Roger Federer or Tommy Robredo for a place in the semi-finals.

Davydenko came into Monday's match as the only man in the draw yet to lose a set, but that statistic did not last long as Soderling fought back from a break down to take the first 7-5.

Soderling's level sunk in the second set allowing Davydenko to capitalise and level up proceedings, but the Swede reasserted his control at the start of the third set, taking a 2-0 lead before Davydenko took a time out to receive treatment on a painful left thigh.

The Swede took advantage of his opponent's deteriorating fitness by breaking again before clinching the third and after a brief consultation with the physio, Davydenko called it a day

=====================================
New York Times

By LYNN ZINSER
Published: September 7, 2009

Robin Soderling, Sweden’s lone hope for tennis glory these days, continued his excellent season, reaching the quarterfinals of the United States Open, winning his fourth-round match over No. 8 Nikolay Davydenko when Davydenko retired in the third set with a left leg injury on Monday.

This match started as a slugfest between two heavy hitters pounding the ball back and forth from the baseline. Soderling had won the first set, 7-5, after a surprising late break of serve but dropped the second set, 6-3. Davydenko, though, began laboring on his left leg. He was wearing heavy wrapping high on his left thigh for the whole match. He retired after losing the third set, 6-2.

Soderling, 25, has never gotten past the third round of the Open until now, but this does appear to be his breakthrough year. He accomplished the unthinkable at the French Open, knocking out Rafael Nadal in the fourth round and reaching the final, where he lost to No. 1 Roger Federer. He became another speed bump in Federer’s drive for the Wimbledon, losing to him in the fourth round, although it was still Soderling’s deepest run ever at that Grand Slam.

Up next for Soderling here is likely Federer, who plays No. 14 Tommy Robredo Monday afternoon in another fourth-round match.

His tremendous season has followed a change in coaches, with Magnus Norman agreeing to coach him last year. Norman, a former star player for Sweden who once reached No. 2 in the world, found himself with quite a project on his hands: the only Swedish man ranked in the top 100, a powerful but erratic player who is hardly the likeliest candidate to captivate a once tennis-mad country that has suffered a drought in talent.

Against Davydenko, he faced a player without his cannon of a serve but who could trade power for power on his ground strokes.

Davydenko, meanwhile, is best known not for his game but for his involvement in a betting scandal after an investigation was launched into possible fixing of a match against Martín Vassallo Arguello of Argentina in August 2007. Davydenko retired in that match and the online betting company Betfair suspended all wagers after unusually heavy betting slanted toward Arguello, a heavy underdog, in the match. Davydenko denied any wrongdoing and was eventually cleared after tennis officials, denied access to telephone records, said they found no evidence tying him to the betting. After more than a dozen ranked players came forward to report they had been approached about fixing matches, the tennis tours created the Tennis Integrity Unit to combat the problem.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:00:05 AM by Soderking »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2009, 04:30:55 PM »
Great tournament for Sodderlng.  I just hope he continues his 'streak' that he has against Roger in the next round.  No offense to Robin. :innocent:

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
  • Federer Forever.... and Soderling too!
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »

:thank-you: :smoke: :toot: :yay: :Fool:  :yay:

Thanks so much, propstoart! Well, I am extremely happy that several people besides myself are happy to see this new player on the rise. I won't say the match looked pretty, and Robin seemed to go from "on fire" mode to "melt-down" mode too many times in this match, but he is through to the U.S. Open QFs for the first time in his career. That means for the year (so far), he has made it the 2nd round at the AO, Final at the FO, 4th round at Wimbledon and QFs at the U.S. Open.

I loved his level of play when down 2-4 in the first set to win it 7-5, and the last set at 6-2. I am hoping Kolya is alright, but find it odd that for the second time in Open, a challenger has declared themselves unfit and then just walked off with their bags. What is going on? This is a slam... I wish I could be in Kolya's shoes to see how serious this was, because it didn't look like he hurt himself to the point of defaulting. But a hamstring injury can be dangerous, so maybe he made the right call. Oh well! Another gift for Robin, and he has to be easily the most rested player going into the QFs as he has only had to play 11 sets in 4 matches.

Yes, propstoart, his game is suited well to play Rafa because his flat and powerful backhand is actually his strongest weapon and he is 6'4", so a high bouncing ball with topspin to his backhand is actually going right into his strike zone. Match-ups can be fascinating, like a paper-scissors-rock kind of game. It is why during College Football, someone could say "Ohio State will be obliterated by USC at home because Navy gave them a contenst." But everything is relative to those participating in the experience as it happens and so as they say, that is why they play the game. Anyway, here are the first articles on the win. I'll put up the interview later. Next up, the winner of the Roger Federer/Tommy Robredo match.

Number 12 seed Robin Soderling has progressed into the quarter-finals of the US Open after the retirement of Nikolay Davydenko.

The heavy-hitting Swede was 7-5 3-6 6-2 up out on Louis Armstrong court before eighth seed Davydenko called it a day after struggling with a leg injury.

Soderling, who reached the final of the French Open earlier this year, will now play his Roland Garros conqueror Roger Federer or Tommy Robredo for a place in the semi-finals.

Davydenko came into Monday's match as the only man in the draw yet to lose a set, but that statistic did not last long as Soderling fought back from a break down to take the first 7-5.

Soderling's level sunk in the second set allowing Davydenko to capitalise and level up proceedings, but the Swede reasserted his control at the start of the third set, taking a 2-0 lead before Davydenko took a time out to receive treatment on a painful left thigh.

The Swede took advantage of his opponent's deteriorating fitness by breaking again before clinching the third and after a brief consultation with the physio, Davydenko called it a day

=====================================
New York Times

By LYNN ZINSER
Published: September 7, 2009

Robin Soderling, Sweden’s lone hope for tennis glory these days, continued his excellent season, reaching the quarterfinals of the United States Open, winning his fourth-round match over No. 8 Nikolay Davydenko when Davydenko retired in the third set with a left leg injury on Monday.

This match started as a slugfest between two heavy hitters pounding the ball back and forth from the baseline. Soderling had won the first set, 7-5, after a surprising late break of serve but dropped the second set, 6-3. Davydenko, though, began laboring on his left leg. He was wearing heavy wrapping high on his left thigh for the whole match. He retired after losing the third set, 6-2.

Soderling, 25, has never gotten past the third round of the Open until now, but this does appear to be his breakthrough year. He accomplished the unthinkable at the French Open, knocking out Rafael Nadal in the fourth round and reaching the final, where he lost to No. 1 Roger Federer. He became another speed bump in Federer’s drive for the Wimbledon, losing to him in the fourth round, although it was still Soderling’s deepest run ever at that Grand Slam.

Up next for Soderling here is likely Federer, who plays No. 14 Tommy Robredo Monday afternoon in another fourth-round match.

His tremendous season has followed a change in coaches, with Magnus Norman agreeing to coach him last year. Norman, a former star player for Sweden who once reached No. 2 in the world, found himself with quite a project on his hands: the only Swedish man ranked in the top 100, a powerful but erratic player who is hardly the likeliest candidate to captivate a once tennis-mad country that has suffered a drought in talent.

Soderling, in addition to his up-and-down results and unreliable work ethic, was once voted in a players’ poll as the least pleasant player on tour.

Against Davydenko, he faced a player without his cannon of a serve but who could trade power for power on his ground strokes.

Davydenko, meanwhile, is best known not for his game but for his involvement in a betting scandal after an investigation was launched into possible fixing of a match against Martín Vassallo Arguello of Argentina in August 2007. Davydenko retired in that match and the online betting company Betfair suspended all wagers after unusually heavy betting slanted toward Arguello, a heavy underdog, in the match. Davydenko denied any wrongdoing and was eventually cleared after tennis officials, denied access to telephone records, said they found no evidence tying him to the betting. After more than a dozen ranked players came forward to report they had been approached about fixing matches, the tennis tours created the Tennis Integrity Unit to combat the problem.

Oh My God! I am so happy! I stayed up very late last night to watch his match with davydenko. my roommates joined me, taking a sudden interest in the guy who played federer in the RG Finals. But now he has a name. They said "soderling was the kind of player they would cheer for, albeit, after federer"... and i said it's okay because i too have federer for number 1, and soderling for a close number 2.

so you must imagine how i feel (and perhaps my roommates too) about the QF. Why must they be in the same quater of the draw? The same thing happened in Wimbledon *4th round?...

Damn. I am torn. I like Roger to win the 16th, but i also like the world to know that soderling wasn't just the man who put a stop to nadal's RG prowess, that HE is a GREAT Tennis Player!

Whatever. it doesn''t seem right... why must they face each other befohe finals????????!!!!!
:confused1: prodigal
Federer Forever... and Soderling too!

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2009, 04:58:21 AM »
Quote from: Dallas
Great tournament for Sodderlng.

:shiny:  

Thanks much!  
=====================
Quote from: Dallas
I just hope he continues his 'streak' that he has against Roger in the next round.  No offense to Robin. :innocent:

:angle-not:

Yea, I know, "nobody beats Robin Soderling 12 times in a row."  :))  Congrats to your dude too, Dallas! Like Robin, I have the deepest respect for Fed and I'm not blind enough to think Soderking is going take him down, until he actually goes out there and does it. And Roger has been looking like the TMF since Madrid, so I'm going to go into the match and just enjoy the tennis, and should some miracle ensue, I'll definitely take it!

Btw, it must be tough for Federer fans and Fed too in a way. He is the only player on tour who has the pressure on him to win in such a manner that anything less than getting the Slam itself, it is considered a disappointment. It's not really the worse problem to have for obvious reasons. But the press and his fan base get hammered if he doesn't achieve the loftiest goals, and he gets unfair treatment instead of the rightful respect he deserved eons ago.

I hope it's a great match!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:35:47 AM by Soderking »

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:25 AM »

Oh My God! I am so happy! I stayed up very late last night to watch his match with davydenko. my roommates joined me, taking a sudden interest in the guy who played federer in the RG Finals. But now he has a name. They said "soderling was the kind of player they would cheer for, albeit, after federer"... and i said it's okay because i too have federer for number 1, and soderling for a close number 2.

so you must imagine how i feel (and perhaps my roommates too) about the QF. Why must they be in the same quater of the draw? The same thing happened in Wimbledon *4th round?...

Damn. I am torn. I like Roger to win the 16th, but i also like the world to know that soderling wasn't just the man who put a stop to nadal's RG prowess, that HE is a GREAT Tennis Player!

Whatever. it doesn''t seem right... why must they face each other befohe finals????????!!!!!
:confused1: prodigal

Hi Prodigal,

Thanks for sharing your feelings on your happiness. It's always tough when one's two favorite players play a match. I always hope that both of them bring their "A" game and both leave the court to high applause and tons of respect regardless of who the winner might be. I want to see a fantastic match. If Robin loses in a great match, and the crowd give him a standing ovation and tons of respect, I will be happy for him. If he wins, I'll be estatic for him. So either way, let's hope for a great match that does justice to both Roger and Robin and will leave everyone with tons of respect for both players!

It is unfortunate he keeps running into his worst match-up in the "paper-scissors-rock" thingie in the Quarters (heck, he used to run into the Fed buzzsaw in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, so this is better than that). I didn't feel bad after Wimbledon, although noone seems to remember Robin only lost his serve once, and the match was 6-4, 7-6 (5), 7-6(5). Isn't that a shame? The points won differential was almost even. Robin did not play the clutch points that well, and Roger did. But now all you read in the articles and papers is "Federer beat Soderling in straight sets". So maybe if Fed won 6-1, 6-7, 6-0, 6-1, they would say "Robin took a set off him"? I doubt it, and that wouldn't be a superior performance.

Anyway, you probably know what I mean. This is a "respect" match for Robin, I believe, and he is going to give it all he's got and go for 1 set, 2 sets, a win, whatever, but he is going to give Roger a match. And Roger is being sincere when he states that Robin is tough, because he knows that is true. So don't worry. Just enjoy the match with your friends and hope for some tennis quality. That is where I am at. Btw, it is so cool that you are introducing your friends to his game. Keep it up, man! He will get the respect and justice he deserves in due time as Nole got some yesterday.  :)

Finally, something you also read is that Robin is a fan of Roger and too awed by him to give him a decent challenge. This is total crap. Robin goes out there and gives it his all against all opponnents, including Roger, as the last match they played shows. I'm not really a blind tennis enthusiast. I saw Roger's match today and he is unbelievably talented and deserves all the accollades he has received and then some. It's like watching Kobi Bryant, Lebron James, Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, etc. I firmly believe Robin is one of the 10 best players on the planet this year, and that is a mind blowing achievement. As it would be difficult to defeat Kobi when he is driven, the same applies here. I am hoping for the best possible result, but the joy of the game is in watching it develop, and Roger is a proven champion and Robin is fast gaining respect as one of the best players on tour. I am hoping for the best for Robin, and Roger doesn't need to prove anything more whether he wins the Open again or not.

Enjoy your riches, my friend. You've got some great tennis to view this week and quite a bit to appreciate!  ://

**Interesting note: If both Fernando Gonzalez and Gael Monfils lose today to Tsonga and Nadal respectively, Robin has secured a place in the Top 10. If only Gonzalez loses, but Monfils goes no further than Robin (i.e. QFs or better), Robin is in the top 10. Obviously, if he goes on to Final or to win it, depending on how Tsonga does, he could rise as high as #7 behind the big six (Fed, Murray, Rafa, Nole, Del Potro, Roddick).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 07:21:07 AM by Soderking »

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2009, 05:48:16 AM »
Ok, as promised, a link to the video of the post-match interview:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-07/200909071252349864734.html

and here is the transcipt:

R. SODERLING/N. Davydenko

7 5, 3 6, 6 2 (ret.)

An interview with: Robin Soderling

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Your great Grand Slam season is continuing. I guess the flip side is you keep running into a certain someone in your quarter. Can you talk about that? Are you tired of seeing Roger looming ahead of you?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, it's in the quarters, so I didn't really I didn't really look so far in the draw. But of course, you know, he beat me a lot of times.
But we had a few very good matches, and I had some good chances to actually win in a couple of them, so of course to me he's the best player of all time. But, again, we had a lot of good matches.
If I can play well, hopefully I have a small chance.

Q. I think most of us would tend to look at your win against Rafa in Paris as a big turning point. But for you, did it really happen that way, or was it more of a gradual, lead up process?
ROBIN SODERLING: You know, I had I had a tough actually, I played okay in Australia, but after that, I had a tough couple of months with Indian Wells with my back.
After that, I started to work really hard with a lot of things in my game, and after a couple of months it started to pay off. I think I actually played very, very well the week before Paris, won a lot of good matches, and I think that's where it kind of turned around a little bit.
So I came into Paris with very good confidence.

Q. Your work with Magnus, how is that evolving? I know it was sort of a fresh start for you. Are you now in a position where you weren't really refining things so much as reminding yourself of how to continue to play well?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, Magnus, he's a great coach. You know, he meant a lot to me. Maybe you know, he says the same things that all my other coach have done in the past. But, you know, I tend to listen to him a bit more than the other coaches I had. I don't know why. Maybe it's because he's been such a good player and he played at this level not too long ago.
I believe he really knows what he's talking about. That feels really good for me.

Q. The match today, despite Nikolay retiring, how did you feel out there? How did you feel with your own game?
ROBIN SODERLING: Okay. It was tough. I think all of the courts are a bit different speed. I played my last match on Grandstand which I felt was a little bit slower, so it was tough in the beginning to find the rhythm.
But I think after 30, 40 minutes I started to play better. I played okay. I know I can play a lot better, but I think I played a decent match.

Q. Did he give you any indication that he was hurting? Was it a surprise when he suddenly...
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, I was a little surprised, because I thought that he was moving pretty well. He's one of the fastest guys on tour, and you know, I was every time we played, I always been impressed about his moving, you know. He's a very fast guy, so I was a little bit shocked that he retired.

Q. I have a question about doping. How many times have you had an out of competition test this year? How are you adjusting to the whereabouts requirements?
ROBIN SODERLING: I've been tested three times maybe. I missed one, unfortunately, so I have a warning. You know, it's tough. It's tough to know where you're going to be in three months, you know, so it's not easy.
But I don't think there's any other way to do it, so we just have to do it.

Q. Have things changed for you much? I know you haven't been home much probably but have things changed for you there with the season? You've come out of anonymity more and been more recognized and more appreciated by your home fans?
ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, a little bit, maybe. I got a lot of attention, especially after Paris, in Sweden. I did a lot of things, and for me, it feels really good that the tennis is getting bigger in Sweden again.
I think that's really what we need, and hopefully I can inspire young kids to start playing tennis again.

Q. I know some of our American players get really tired of being asked, Are you the next so and so, Agassi, Sampras, whatever. You're probably the target of those questions now, I would imagine. Does it ever get tiresome?
ROBIN SODERLING: Well, I try not to think about it too much. You know, for a country like Sweden, such a small country, we had so much success in the past. We had so many good players, so it's tough to compare yourself to them.
So, you know, I try to play my own game. I try to win every match and see how far I can go. I think it really helped me that we had so many good players when I was young. I had a lot of players to watch. We were like, I don't know, 10, even more, 15 to 20 guys in the Grand Slams every year. It was good for me.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2009, 05:54:28 AM »
Wow, the run continues!

I have yet to see one of his matches this past week, hopefully that will change.

Go Robin! :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:43 AM »
Wow, the run continues!

I have yet to see one of his matches this past week, hopefully that will change.

Go Robin! :))

yes, i think he has attracted the media's attention... and the world's too. Way to go Robin!
 ;-() prodigal

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2009, 09:08:35 AM »
hi soderking,

your post is very moving. i have never felt prouder as a soderling fan. when i started this thread, i felt like it was a leap of faith to keep this thread alive. but now i can see, robin has really earned his due. the world has started paying attention to his games and that makes me very proud as his fan....

i have never doubted that one day, he'll get the chance to beat Federer (who to me is always the greates player of all time). but i always knew that robin is well equipped with skills that can make him win. his recent track record would prove that he belongs to the top ten, and hopefully, it will be realized by the end of the US Open...

you're right, i will enjoy their match, because however way it ends, i'll be really proud. If i was able to accept roger's defeat by other players, i'll be ecstatic to have it by robin. and yeah, my friends, who were once in the dark about tennis, are now well versed with the game, and the players! one of them has hung a poster of both roger and robin in our living room!

To Robin and Roger, and to the match where both players win!  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 10:04:40 AM by prodigal »

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
hi soderking,

your post is very moving. i have never felt prouder as a soderling fan. when i started this thread, i felt like it was a leap of faith to keep this thread alive. but now i can see, robin has really earned his due. the world has started paying attention to his games and that makes me very proud as his fan....

i have never doubted that one day, he'll get the chance to beat Federer (who to me is always the greates player of all time). but i always knew that robin is well equipped with skills that can make him win. his recent track record would prove that he belongs to the top ten, and hopefully, it will be realized by the end of the US Open...

you're right, i will enjoy their match, because however way it ends, i'll be really proud. If i was able to accept roger's defeat by other players, i'll be ecstatic to have it by robin. and yeah, my friends, who were once in the dark about tennis, are now well versed with the game, and the players! one of them has hung a poster of both roger and robin in our living room!

To Robin and Roger, and to the match where both players win!  :) :) :)

Hi Prodigal,

Well we we're a point away from having one of those matches, but I am relieved Robin made it repsectable in the last two sets. Hey, he took a set off Fed, so at least I won't be hearing that one next time. :)

I'm disappointed this time, more so than at Wimbledon, because he has had a real shot this time, including a set point in the 4th. Those two mis-hits that went far left that he lost on set point and match point we're not indicative of the play he was demonstrating during the 3rd and 4th set, so I wish he would have been sharper in those key moments, even if he had lost the point. Anyway, his best time of year is coming up (indoors, carpet), so let's see what he can do and hope that he keeps improving his game.

This match was extremely important for his confidence, and I really liked the fact that he gave it his all, and when he lost at the end, he wasn't smiling as though he was glad he got to play the match, but looked frustrated (but respectful) as though he knew he had it within him to take it to the 5th set. That is a different reaction than the ones he showed at the FO and Wimbledon, and is indicative that he is not going out there to be competitive, but is going out there to win. Those are good signs to me.

Roger was fantastic again. What more can be said that hasn't been said already? Congratulations to him, and I wish you the best in the rest of the Open.

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: September 10, 2009, 01:07:57 AM »
Great interview from Robin after the match! He's no longer satisfied with a good showing. Keep going, Soderking!!!

Wednesday, September 9, 2009
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. You got off to a slow start, but your game seemed to evolve as the match progressed to the point where you put I think a pretty big concern into Roger the way you were playing. Are you happy with the way you were able to come back?

ROBIN SODERLING: It's tough to play worse than I did in the first two sets, so it could only get better.

No, I don't really like to say I played bad in respect to the opponent, but today I think the first two sets, I mean, I didn't play that poorly in a long time.

But, yeah, again, I'm happy with the way I turned the match around. I actually had a set point to go up to two sets all.

Q. What were you able to do to turn it around? Was it more of a psychological thing?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, even after the first two sets I was thinking, you know, I can't do worse than this. (laughter.)

I tried to go for it even more, you know. I think I was putting a lot of pressure on him from the start of the third set, and it really worked.

It wasn't as windy at the end of the match than it was in the first two sets, and that helped me. I could serve a little bit better. I could go for my shots a little bit more.

Q. You went as far as you ever have in this tournament. I mean, it's a bit of a breakthrough for you.

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, it's been a good tournament. It's been a good year, even though I had some problems in the beginning of the year. But it's still a lot of tennis to be played this year, so hopefully I can stay healthy and I will have a chance to do well, I think.

Q. You talked about going for it in the fourth set tiebreak. It seemed every time you had a look at Federer's serve you were going for a winner on the return. Do you regret basically going for the winner so quickly, or was that part of the game plan, going for broke?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I think due to the circumstances, I think I played the last two sets very well. I felt like I really had to go for the shots, because the longer ‑‑ I felt like the longer the point went on, the better he played. So a lot of the points I won I won in three or two, three or four shots.

Q. When you play Roger, considering your record against him, do you feel like you have to play as if there's really nothing to lose? I mean, just go out there and give it everything you have got?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, sure. I'm pretty sure that I can beat him. Of course, it's tough, but in a match like this where I feel like I didn't play well at all, I'm still one point away from two sets all.

He's a very good player. You know, he's, to me, the best player of all time, so...

But, again, you know, for sure I feel like I have a chance every time I play against him, even though it's pretty small.

Q. You had some difficulty to read his serve and showed some frustration. That changed at the end of the second set when you were able to return many of his serves. How was it important to the outcome of the game?

ROBIN SODERLING: Yeah, he's got a very good serve. For me, it's very tough to read his serve, and I was very impressed about the way he served during the circumstances, because it was very, very windy the first two sets. I had big problems with my serve, but he seemed to serve very good.

Q. Did you have the feeling at the end of the match you were getting tired?

ROBIN SODERLING: No, I felt good.

Q. How do you assess Roger's game compared to the meetings in Paris and in Wimbledon?

ROBIN SODERLING: He always plays well, feels like. (laughter.)

I'm really impressed by the way he played in the beginning, because again, it was very windy, and still he played very, very good.

I never played anyone who played that well in windy conditions, so he's definitely playing as well as he did in Wimbledon.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Offline prodigal

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »
it was a good match nonetheless. the 3rd and 4th sets were a glimpse of great things to come for robin. yes, i know he truly believes that he can beat roger. so do i. it may not have been today but...

i was nervous for both of them in the 4th set tie-break, i thought that cheering for both won't make me any nervous, and that it would be a lot easier thinking that i'm on a win-win situation. BUT NO!!!!!! I was so scared for either of them to lose. So emotionally, I was in a lose-lose situation! I'm going nuts...

I'm both happy and sad as i write. I didn't know this experience is possible but i'm right through it!

TO ROGER and his 16th Slam! TO ROBIN and his newfound conviction and confidence to beat the The Best Player the tennis world has known, and to his road to be the Best himself!

Offline tennisfan78

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2009, 01:54:31 AM »

Soderling is the man. He really took it to Roger. wow.  If Robin is on fire, looks like he can beat any one.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2009, 06:50:53 AM »
Robin was a little slow out of the gate but finished strong last night.
An excellent showing!  Looking forward to more of his huge game this fall. :))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Soderking

• Tennis God
« Reply #79 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
it was a good match nonetheless. the 3rd and 4th sets were a glimpse of great things to come for robin. yes, i know he truly believes that he can beat roger. so do i. it may not have been today but...

i was nervous for both of them in the 4th set tie-break, i thought that cheering for both won't make me any nervous, and that it would be a lot easier thinking that i'm on a win-win situation. BUT NO!!!!!! I was so scared for either of them to lose. So emotionally, I was in a lose-lose situation! I'm going nuts...

I'm both happy and sad as i write. I didn't know this experience is possible but i'm right through it!

TO ROGER and his 16th Slam! TO ROBIN and his newfound conviction and confidence to beat the The Best Player the tennis world has known, and to his road to be the Best himself!

Hi Prodigal,

They are showing the last two sets in light of the rain delay in the Gonzo/Nadal match. It is kind of fascinating to see him finding that extra gear again. And I forgot to mention that I loved how the crowd got behind him. I am so sick of reading aimless attacks on his character because he is a reserved guy.

I think Jenni, his girlfriend, has been reading some of the negative Internet postings on his character. Her last tweet before his match with Fed:

"My bf is the coolest and the most kind person I know"

I think, even though this is really has nothing to do with a person's character, that the more success he has, the less people will project negativity on him. You know? Ditto to your wishes for their success! Thanks!

My last experience at watching my two favorite players play was 6-1, 6-0 for Nole over Nalby. I hated that match and felt depressed afterwards, when Nole wiping anyone else would have made me happy, so I understand what you meant. When Nole and David played in 2007 in the Masters at Madrid, Nalby won 6-4, 7-6 (7/4), and I felt alright because both of them played great. That always is the best outcome.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:26:10 PM by Soderking »