Ok, Robin is now in the Semi-Finals for the second consecutive week. He has gone 30-6 since Madrid Masters. This aint no fluke. I am seeing so many things on the Internet right now where people are showing genuine respect and admitting they have gone from either ambivalent or hateful to admiring this guy; and this makes me so happy!
I wanted to post some of the great stuff I'm finding on the web here before the match I've been wanting to see for awhile against Nole in the Semis. Obviously, the idea of Sod meeting Nadal in the China Open Finals is in the back of everyone's mind right now. I think that would be a wonderful homage to both players in light of the historic French Open match. And once again, the fact that the first match Robin faces Rafa in would be an ATP500 Final would speak volumes for the fact that he is for real. Anyway, that is all conjecture at this point, but I wanted to touch on it because I know that is the possibility that many people are nervous, excited, or intrigued about.
This is from www.atpworldtour.com
. It is called Soderling Fast Facts:
W: Bĺstad (d Monaco); F: Roland Garros (l Federer); SF: Auckland (l Del Potro); Kuala Lumpur (l Davydenko); QF: Brisbane (l Stepanek); Washington (W/O vs Del Potro); US Open (l Federer)
YTD W-L: 39-16
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 4
Date of Birth: August 14, 1984
South African Airways 2009 ATP Ranking: 11
· Soderling, 25, is making his fifth appearance in the semi-finals (or better) this season…He has dropped one set en route to the semi-finals, posting wins over Jeremy Chardy 63 46 62, followed by a 63 63 victory over Tommy Robredo and 76(3) 64 over Ivan Ljubicic on Friday
· This is his second semi-final in as many weeks after reaching the semis in Kuala Lumpur (l. to Davydenko)…He enters with a 39-16 match record (18-9 on hard)…He ranks a career-high No. 11 this week (first achieved on July 20) and if he wins the title he will break into the Top 10…He is 14-36 lifetime against Top 10 opponents (3-7 in ’09)
· Has a 4-7 career mark in finals (3-6 indoors) and looking to reach his first ATP outdoor hard court final
· He is trying to qualify for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London…There are three positions remaining
· The top Swede on the ATP World Tour has been one of the most consistent performers since mid-May...Began with a 9-10 match record but has turned things around with a 30-6 mark since the ATP World Tour Team Championship in Duessledorf where he went 3-0 in round robin play
· Then came into Roland Garros ranked No. 25 and posted consecutive wins over No. 14 Ferrer (3rd Rd.), No. 1 Nadal (4th Rd.), No. 11 Davydenko (QF) and No. 12 Gonzalez in five sets before falling to Federer in his first Grand Slam final...Afterwards, climbed from No. 25 to No. 12 on June 8
· At Wimbledon, turned in a career-best fourth round result, losing to Federer 64 76 76 (one break in match) and at last month’s US Open reached a personal-best quarter-final at US Open (l. to Federer)
· In July in his native country in Bastad, captured his first career title on clay (d. Monaco)
Finally, this is a gem of a tribute from "All I Need is Picket Fence" blog at http://allineedisapicketfence.wordpress.com
. It references Robin's appearance at the Kung Fu exhibition which is an article listed earlier this week before the China Open. The Most Misunderstood Man in Tennis
Posted on 9, October, 2009 by dootsiez
"I am sold, folks. HOW CAN YOU RESIST THE DIMPLES?
And the wrinkly eyes?!"
Of course, the Dimpled One got a few Kungfu tips too.
LOOK AT HIM GO!"
"I can’t believe I started the year hating Sod, thinking he was the biggest wanker in tennis. He was a little misunderstood, that’s all.
Really, he’s just a dork."
"And a dork who’s through to the Beijing semis after defeating Ljuby 76 64. It was was a sound serving display from the Sod, who cruised on serve and only had to face one break point. Should he continue in this form, he’s got more than a chance against Novak Djokovic.
Mentioning Nole, with Murray out of Shanghai, the Djoker finds himself one match away from No 3 spot after defeating Nando 63 16 61. Didn’t catch any of the match, but just from the see-saw score line, I’m assuming there was a few brain farts involved.
Rafa v Safin on. I’m drooling too much to blog.
Thanks Dootsiez! I think people are starting to get Robin finally.