Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 23460 times)

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:47 PM »
What I find amusing is that this topic has gone to 8 pages.. I think this is the most important fact on this subject :)>>>>

://

It is a good topic but yeah, way blown out of proportion.

Offline pawan89

• Tennis God
    • Onset of Chaos
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »

Roger + career slam = falcon upset

Roger + 15 slams record = falcon bitter

Roger + 15 slams jacket = falcon hate goat(Roger) PRICELESS!

One minor correction! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

:rofl_2: There's some things money can't buy.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »
This is what my ex had to say about Federer's 15 GS Jacket on the other forum:

"I want to ask Federer fans what they think of Federer getting his golden 15 embroidered into his jacket before he won the match. I like Federer and had he continued to serve and volley as he did at the start of his career, I'd probably have become a big fan of his, but I have to say that doing that seems very arrogant to me. To be honest, I think it'd be more accurate to describe that kind of behaviour as vainglorious.

Wearing it at all isn't ideal. It shows that the adulation has gone to his head a bit. We can't blame him for that but it's definitely true."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me tell you, he likes Federer quite a bit but that doesn't mean he can't be objective and state his opinion whether you like it or not. More importantly, isn't it only obvious that some of you would just go with anything Federer does and stay less objective? Most of you ARE his die-hard fans after all.  :rofl_2:

As for me, I don't know but I do know that I don't care. He's ego was always there and now it's massive.

Anyway, here's a picture of Roger Federer, the real GOAT, we all love and care!!!

Is he cute or what?!?!?!  :)~
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
OMG! I have no idea why it came out so big!! Must be because of his massive ego.  :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »
Emma, tell your ex that if he looked at the match, he would see that Roger didn't get that jacket BEFORE the match.  After he won, a representative of NIKE came ON the field and presented it to Roger as he was sitting in his seat getting ready to put on his regular jacket.  

Ask your ex shoud all the NBA players, the NFL players, the MLB players, etc. turn down the t-shirts and caps that are "embroidered" BEFORE the end of the game when they win too?

In an interview afterwards, Roger said he didn't know NIKE had done that for him. It was a surprise.  So all you guys that are blaming Roger for being arrogant for wearing it.  Well... tough!  If I'm in that situation and it's presented to me, heck yea, I'm going to wear it.  I'm proud of the fact that the record was broken and that my sponsor went through the trouble of making it for me.  Sure... call me what you want, but I'd wear it proudly!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2009, 01:23:05 PM »
Emma, tell your ex that if he looked at the match, he would see that Roger didn't get that jacket BEFORE the match.  After he won, a representative of NIKE came ON the field and presented it to Roger as he was sitting in his seat getting ready to put on his regular jacket.  

Ask your ex shoud all the NBA players, the NFL players, the MLB players, etc. turn down the t-shirts and caps that are "embroidered" BEFORE the end of the game when they win too?

In an interview afterwards, Roger said he didn't know NIKE had done that for him. It was a surprise.  So all you guys that are blaming Roger for being arrogant for wearing it.  Well... tough!  If I'm in that situation and it's presented to me, heck yea, I'm going to wear it.  I'm proud of the fact that the record was broken and that my sponsor went through the trouble of making it for me.  Sure... call me what you want, but I'd wear it proudly!

I won't. It's too tacky and I would say so to Nike and politely so. He's certainly in a position to do so. Let me tell you, he loves it. You like him so much that you fail to see the other side of his character but that's fine. I don't expect you to do so. As I said, I don't care about him enough to talk about it in length.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2009, 01:41:10 PM »
OMG! I have no idea why it came out so big!! Must be because of his massive ego.  :rofl_2:

It came out good. The head is in proportion to the body.

About the 15, it should have been above where a shirt pocket is.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2009, 01:44:45 PM »
I do like this thread, the squirming of all these posters just tickles me to no end.  :uh: :spot on: :spot on:

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2009, 01:48:46 PM »
I do like this thread, the squirming of all these posters just tickles me to no end.  :uh: :spot on: :spot on:

Oh come now, it's only falcon vs all of you Federer fans so far.  :rofl_2:

My poor falcon, but I think Logo got her all wrong. She really doesn't hate Federer but that's fine. Any criticism, healthy or not, is converted into hate first and that's because clearly that's the only word Fed fans are familiar with.  :rofl_2:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2009, 01:54:09 PM »

Oh come now, it's only falcon vs all of you Federer fans so far.  :rofl_2:

My poor falcon, but I think Logo got her all wrong. She really doesn't hate Federer but that's fine. Any criticism, healthy or not, is converted into hate first and that's because clearly that's the only word Fed fans are familiar with.  :rofl_2:

I have been nice to falcon. some...   :)~

This is how it goes though, one player does well and his supporters are happy and gloat about it.

Will there be a #16 jacket?  ..-)

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:26 PM »

:rofl_2: 

It has been an amusing thread; though it gives new meaning to beating a dead horse.

Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: July 10, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
The way I see it, Nike is ruining his image. Even the Fed fans who are not as crazy can see that, it's not in good taste. Why would I want to wear something that says I won 15 slams? That does not make any sense to me. Of course I am proud of my achievements, but there's no reason for me to wear it too. The whole world knows it anyway.

And you can't really blame Nike for the whole thing. It is just as much up to Federer to not make it so obvious. As I see it, they both wanted it.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »
The way I see it, Nike is ruining his image. Even the Fed fans who are not as crazy can see that, it's not in good taste. Why would I want to wear something that says I won 15 slams? That does not make any sense to me. Of course I am proud of my achievements, but there's no reason for me to wear it too. The whole world knows it anyway.

And you can't really blame Nike for the whole thing. It is just as much up to Federer to not make it so obvious. As I see it, they both wanted it.

According to you and a lot of Non-Federer fans - he didn't have an image to begin with - he was "bored" to you guys! :rofl_2:

Anyway - I love it - I love what Nike is doing and GO FED!   :rofl_2:

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Well since this is still, astonishingly going:

1)  Anyone who thinks that anyone is going to argue with a sponsor about a simple memento of a milestone jacket with an award ceremony that started about 90 seconds later, has to be living in another world... but this guy sums it up for me:

"Kool-Aid Open Bar.
Posted on 11, July, 2009 by dootsiez

I have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament by creating a new ritual: whenever Federer wins a slam, I shout all my friends to drinks. The result? My booming popularity coupled by a deflating bank account. Guess I should think twice next time before I yell those 3 magic words – “drinks on me“. Whatever, I’d rather be a pauper with drunken and disorderly friends than a rich ***** with none.

But why should my personal friends be the only ones to benefit from my “boundless” generosity? After all, it was to you – Anonymous-Blog-Readers – that I vented, ranted, commiserated and celebrated tennis over the past year. While I can’t really buy all of you Finlandia Mules, surely I can afford a round of cyber Kool-Aid instead? Hey, it’s not gonna break the bank.

So drink up my imaginary free Kool-Aid while I vent some more on what I consider to be utter ******** this week.

The thing is, I’ve tried really hard to take the high road. A part of me really can’t be ****ed responding to claptrap. But if it’s threatening to piss on my bonfire while I celebrate the best tennis month I’ve ever had, then I’ve got to get it off my chest.

Let me preface by saying that I have no problems with anyone hating Roger Federer’s Wimbledon gear – it was highly risky fashion to start with. Nor do I care that a lot of people may be feeling more sorry for Roddick than happy for Federer right now. What I don’t like is how the media has branched out on those two premises into what I consider to be a personal attack on the Fed.

Among other things, Tennis.com, SI, the Times and the infamous Mirror have accused Federer of being arrogant, disrespectful of Andy Roddick, and classless. All this is apparently based on his post-victory interview and a jacket with an inconspicuous 15 on it.

Nevermind that Federer admitted he didn’t know about the 15 jacket beforehand - the fact that the jacket was a surprise from Nike was never really relevant in the media portrayal of “Jacketgate“. Instead, tennis fandom has used a gift from Nike to its most valuable player as the premise to launch some rather vitriolic attacks on Federer. Head over to GTT for some sense on this Wimbledon dead horse.

The notion that a jacket with a small 15 on the side, neither designed nor orchestrated by Federer, could equate to him being arrogant and dismissive of his opponent is just ludicrous and cruel.

Similarly ludicrous is the idea that Federer was somehow rubbing it in Roddick’s face when he said that he knew what Roddick was going through in his trophy acceptance speech.

Yeah, what an insensitive, heartless jerk. How could he possibly know what it feels like to lose an epic final to a long time nemesis?

The fact that Nadal gave Federer, almost word for word, the same consolation – “tough losing an epic match, I know how you feel yada yada” – just a year ago on the very same court was irrelevant and couldn’t possibly be regarded as condescending. It’s only condescending coming out of the Mighty Fed’s mouth. A guy who said this about his opponent is obviously deserving of some serious bashing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Federer acknowledged his celebrations were somewhat reserved after a marathon 30-game final set but this was partly out of respect for an opponent he has now beaten three times in Wimbledon finals.

“It was a combination of being maybe a little bit sad for Andy after seeing Rafa was sad for me at Wimbledon last year,” he explained.

“I felt like it was such a gruelling match, everybody was tired and felt for Andy so I didn’t want to make a drama about it but I knew the importance and that it was one of the greatest moments in my tennis career.”
Yup, the guy’s an arrogant, insensitive ass. Was I the only person who thought Roddick’s quip was just part of his dead pan humor rather than any offense taken on his part? How about a truer representation of what happened during the post-match speech instead?

But there’s something even more insidious on than these allegations of unsportsmanship. Let me see if I can put a finger it – some writers have gone as far as saying that Federer misrepresents the sport of tennis by portraying the image of “a lucky, privileged Porsche-driving, mummsy-loving, polo-watching, country club dandy”.

Ummm … Do I really have to point out the irony that Federer’s being accused of portraying an elitist image at a tournament where the umpires and linesmen wear Ralph Lauren blazers?

And of all the things you can accuse Federer of, misrepresenting the sport of tennis ain’t one of them. Let’s see: did the guy take drugs? Snort cocaine? Did he pick out his wife from an SI swimsuit issue? Has he married and/or divorced a Hollywood actress? Does he ball-bounce excessively, grunt or cheat on court? Has he ever gone off at the umpire or the linesmen?

Instead, he marries the girl-next-door that he’s dated for almost 10 years. He carries himself so calmly on court that when he smashed a racket in Miami, it made headline news on CNN and became instant youtube sensation. He sells his RF merchandise and uses the funds to affect change in South Africa. He gives up more time for the press than any other player in order to promote tennis. This is a guy voted by his peers for the Stefan Edberg Sportmanship Award year after year. And somehow, because of a tracksuit jacket, we’re far too willing to toss his long standing credentials out the window, and cry “where is the old Roger?”

I’ll tell you how Federer has ‘misrepresented’ tennis: the day after the final, the two main newspapers in Melbourne – the Age and the Herald Sun – were inundated with letters to the editor congratulating Federer for his win. Not in the sports section, but in the general opinion section, next to discussions of government policy and international politics.

The Age dedicated its editorial of the day to Federer. Months earlier, when Federer lost to Djokovic in Miami, the Herald Sun ran a chatroom to discuss the crisis. I have never seen a foreign player spark so much interest for a sport that essentially expires mid-February in this country. Did anyone give a hoot that Federer wore a jacket with gold piping to celebrate his victory?

I just don’t get this ********. Among other things, I am truly shocked at how quickly haters, wait – ‘proper’ journalists, will jump on Fed’s perceived actions/inactions with a mob-like mentality.

What disheartens me more is the stuff that’s been left out of the discussion:

Lost amongst all this brouhaha over Jacketgate and sympathy for Roddick is the very human story of Roger Federer.

A few months ago, he was written off, thought to be done and dusted. Incapable of winning another slam.

A few months ago, he was serving poorly, and losing clutch sets with epic meltdowns, and crying about it too.

He rebounded from that. He coped with the immense pressure and “the Monster” he’s created for himself. He achieved slam No 15, and got back to World No 1. And did I mention he worked his ass off in Dubai and in Italy to get his serve back.

Did I mention he didn’t choke in the clutch set, and came through the fifth set in this Wimbledon final with some serious wilanders of steel.

But all this seems so insignificant compared to a jacket.

If a celebratory jacket is capable of amounting to a scandal in Roger Federer’s career, then I’d say that’s a pretty good reflection on his character. If I were him, I’d take all this as a compliment and a sign that he’s playing well again. After all, no one kicks a dead dog.

More Kool-Aid, anyone?

Drunk and still ranting,

xx dootsie "

http://allineedisapicketfence.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/kool-aid-open-bar/

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
Whoa!  :-o

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #175 on: July 10, 2009, 08:22:53 PM »
Great article barbadosan!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #176 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »

Seriously Emma?    Some recreational players wear the free t-shirt they got for playing in the no-name weak local tourney they played in..............or proudly display the little plastic piece of crap trophy they got.  This is Grand Slam tennis and multiple ones at that.   ;-()

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #177 on: July 10, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »
Great article barbadosan!

Finally someone said what a lot of us were thinking!  Great article! :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up: :thumbs-up:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »

Roger + career slam = tennis08 ecstatic

Roger + 15 slams record = tennis08 worshipping

Roger + 15 slams jacket = tennis08 is out of his mind  :lmao:(Roger)

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2009, 02:49:46 AM »
This is what my ex had to say about Federer's 15 GS Jacket on the other forum:

"I want to ask Federer fans what they think of Federer getting his golden 15 embroidered into his jacket before he won the match. I like Federer and had he continued to serve and volley as he did at the start of his career, I'd probably have become a big fan of his, but I have to say that doing that seems very arrogant to me. To be honest, I think it'd be more accurate to describe that kind of behaviour as vainglorious.

Wearing it at all isn't ideal. It shows that the adulation has gone to his head a bit. We can't blame him for that but it's definitely true."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me tell you, he likes Federer quite a bit but that doesn't mean he can't be objective and state his opinion whether you like it or not. More importantly, isn't it only obvious that some of you would just go with anything Federer does and stay less objective? Most of you ARE his die-hard fans after all.  :rofl_2:

As for me, I don't know but I do know that I don't care. He's ego was always there and now it's massive.

Anyway, here's a picture of Roger Federer, the real GOAT, we all love and care!!!

Is he cute or what?!?!?!  :)~

That is a picture of your ex??

Is it hard to type with a hoof?
The Logo Knows!!!