Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 25180 times)

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2009, 02:55:22 AM »
Well since this is still, astonishingly going:

1)  Anyone who thinks that anyone is going to argue with a sponsor about a simple memento of a milestone jacket with an award ceremony that started about 90 seconds later, has to be living in another world... but this guy sums it up for me:

"Kool-Aid Open Bar.
Posted on 11, July, 2009 by dootsiez

I have gotten myself into a bit of a predicament by creating a new ritual: whenever Federer wins a slam, I shout all my friends to drinks. The result? My booming popularity coupled by a deflating bank account. Guess I should think twice next time before I yell those 3 magic words – “drinks on me“. Whatever, I’d rather be a pauper with drunken and disorderly friends than a rich ***** with none.

But why should my personal friends be the only ones to benefit from my “boundless” generosity? After all, it was to you – Anonymous-Blog-Readers – that I vented, ranted, commiserated and celebrated tennis over the past year. While I can’t really buy all of you Finlandia Mules, surely I can afford a round of cyber Kool-Aid instead? Hey, it’s not gonna break the bank.

So drink up my imaginary free Kool-Aid while I vent some more on what I consider to be utter ******** this week.

The thing is, I’ve tried really hard to take the high road. A part of me really can’t be ****ed responding to claptrap. But if it’s threatening to piss on my bonfire while I celebrate the best tennis month I’ve ever had, then I’ve got to get it off my chest.

Let me preface by saying that I have no problems with anyone hating Roger Federer’s Wimbledon gear – it was highly risky fashion to start with. Nor do I care that a lot of people may be feeling more sorry for Roddick than happy for Federer right now. What I don’t like is how the media has branched out on those two premises into what I consider to be a personal attack on the Fed.

Among other things, Tennis.com, SI, the Times and the infamous Mirror have accused Federer of being arrogant, disrespectful of Andy Roddick, and classless. All this is apparently based on his post-victory interview and a jacket with an inconspicuous 15 on it.

Nevermind that Federer admitted he didn’t know about the 15 jacket beforehand - the fact that the jacket was a surprise from Nike was never really relevant in the media portrayal of “Jacketgate“. Instead, tennis fandom has used a gift from Nike to its most valuable player as the premise to launch some rather vitriolic attacks on Federer. Head over to GTT for some sense on this Wimbledon dead horse.

The notion that a jacket with a small 15 on the side, neither designed nor orchestrated by Federer, could equate to him being arrogant and dismissive of his opponent is just ludicrous and cruel.

Similarly ludicrous is the idea that Federer was somehow rubbing it in Roddick’s face when he said that he knew what Roddick was going through in his trophy acceptance speech.

Yeah, what an insensitive, heartless jerk. How could he possibly know what it feels like to lose an epic final to a long time nemesis?

The fact that Nadal gave Federer, almost word for word, the same consolation – “tough losing an epic match, I know how you feel yada yada” – just a year ago on the very same court was irrelevant and couldn’t possibly be regarded as condescending. It’s only condescending coming out of the Mighty Fed’s mouth. A guy who said this about his opponent is obviously deserving of some serious bashing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Federer acknowledged his celebrations were somewhat reserved after a marathon 30-game final set but this was partly out of respect for an opponent he has now beaten three times in Wimbledon finals.

“It was a combination of being maybe a little bit sad for Andy after seeing Rafa was sad for me at Wimbledon last year,” he explained.

“I felt like it was such a gruelling match, everybody was tired and felt for Andy so I didn’t want to make a drama about it but I knew the importance and that it was one of the greatest moments in my tennis career.”
Yup, the guy’s an arrogant, insensitive ass. Was I the only person who thought Roddick’s quip was just part of his dead pan humor rather than any offense taken on his part? How about a truer representation of what happened during the post-match speech instead?

But there’s something even more insidious on than these allegations of unsportsmanship. Let me see if I can put a finger it – some writers have gone as far as saying that Federer misrepresents the sport of tennis by portraying the image of “a lucky, privileged Porsche-driving, mummsy-loving, polo-watching, country club dandy”.

Ummm … Do I really have to point out the irony that Federer’s being accused of portraying an elitist image at a tournament where the umpires and linesmen wear Ralph Lauren blazers?

And of all the things you can accuse Federer of, misrepresenting the sport of tennis ain’t one of them. Let’s see: did the guy take drugs? Snort cocaine? Did he pick out his wife from an SI swimsuit issue? Has he married and/or divorced a Hollywood actress? Does he ball-bounce excessively, grunt or cheat on court? Has he ever gone off at the umpire or the linesmen?

Instead, he marries the girl-next-door that he’s dated for almost 10 years. He carries himself so calmly on court that when he smashed a racket in Miami, it made headline news on CNN and became instant youtube sensation. He sells his RF merchandise and uses the funds to affect change in South Africa. He gives up more time for the press than any other player in order to promote tennis. This is a guy voted by his peers for the Stefan Edberg Sportmanship Award year after year. And somehow, because of a tracksuit jacket, we’re far too willing to toss his long standing credentials out the window, and cry “where is the old Roger?”

I’ll tell you how Federer has ‘misrepresented’ tennis: the day after the final, the two main newspapers in Melbourne – the Age and the Herald Sun – were inundated with letters to the editor congratulating Federer for his win. Not in the sports section, but in the general opinion section, next to discussions of government policy and international politics.

The Age dedicated its editorial of the day to Federer. Months earlier, when Federer lost to Djokovic in Miami, the Herald Sun ran a chatroom to discuss the crisis. I have never seen a foreign player spark so much interest for a sport that essentially expires mid-February in this country. Did anyone give a hoot that Federer wore a jacket with gold piping to celebrate his victory?

I just don’t get this ********. Among other things, I am truly shocked at how quickly haters, wait – ‘proper’ journalists, will jump on Fed’s perceived actions/inactions with a mob-like mentality.

What disheartens me more is the stuff that’s been left out of the discussion:

Lost amongst all this brouhaha over Jacketgate and sympathy for Roddick is the very human story of Roger Federer.

A few months ago, he was written off, thought to be done and dusted. Incapable of winning another slam.

A few months ago, he was serving poorly, and losing clutch sets with epic meltdowns, and crying about it too.

He rebounded from that. He coped with the immense pressure and “the Monster” he’s created for himself. He achieved slam No 15, and got back to World No 1. And did I mention he worked his ass off in Dubai and in Italy to get his serve back.

Did I mention he didn’t choke in the clutch set, and came through the fifth set in this Wimbledon final with some serious wilanders of steel.

But all this seems so insignificant compared to a jacket.

If a celebratory jacket is capable of amounting to a scandal in Roger Federer’s career, then I’d say that’s a pretty good reflection on his character. If I were him, I’d take all this as a compliment and a sign that he’s playing well again. After all, no one kicks a dead dog.

More Kool-Aid, anyone?

Drunk and still ranting,

xx dootsie "

http://allineedisapicketfence.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/kool-aid-open-bar/

GREAT ARTICLE!!!
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:17 AM »

That is a picture of your ex??

Is it hard to type with a hoof?
[/quote]

That's not in a good taste Logo...you can say anything anyone? I don't know but if Emma is not hurt its ok, but your comment would have definitely hurt me had it got something to do with someone I know.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »
Great article, sums it all up perfectly.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
Emma you just sound like a stuck-up home schooled girl. Lay it off MAN and chill. The ego you are talking about is what he has earned through out his career. You wouldn't understand since the only success you might have achieved would be few hundred replies to one of your stupid threads. This guy has earned millions of dollars from his talent and many more from doing commercials. He has his own charity organization and millions of fans. What have you got. Have you ever been in a situation where you have experience such fame as he has? no right? So stop your patronizing comments about him and his fans. You can b**ch all you want but it will be of no avail. Rather spend that energy is doing something else. I really hope you are not a Djokob**ch Fan, MAN if you are then you will definitely lose this EGO debate

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
Emma you just sound like a stuck-up home schooled girl. Lay it off MAN and chill. The ego you are talking about is what he has earned through out his career. You wouldn't understand since the only success you might have achieved would be few hundred replies to one of your stupid threads. This guy has earned millions of dollars from his talent and many more from doing commercials. He has his own charity organization and millions of fans. What have you got. Have you ever been in a situation where you have experience such fame as he has? no right? So stop your patronizing comments about him and his fans. You can b**ch all you want but it will be of no avail. Rather spend that energy is doing something else. I really hope you are not a Djokob**ch Fan, MAN if you are then you will definitely lose this EGO debate

Wow, tennis08 has a new alias :head-smack: Emma is making some 'interesting' points put there's no need or excuse to address somebody like that.

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #185 on: July 11, 2009, 04:48:17 PM »

That's not in a good taste Logo...you can say anything anyone? I don't know but if Emma is not hurt its ok, but your comment would have definitely hurt me had it got something to do with someone I know.

Of course you would be hurt!!  

You can slander Roger.  Make comments 1000x as bad about him and try to tarnish his image all you want on a board saying he has destroyed tennis and shamed the poor.   Yet if anyone says anything to you, you get HURT!  If you get hurt, did you every think that maybe Rog is a human being with feelings too and you shouldn't slander him so unjustly??!!

Of course not.

Here is another term for you to look up in the Oxford Dictionary, though this one I am sure you already know the meaning: HYPOCRITE.

Emma is a big girl.  She can handle her own, trust me when I say i highly doubt that she lost over sleep what someone wrote on a message board.  Now if only everyone could handle things like adults. ..-)

Plus, I am done with this thread.  It is just too silly.  That last great article that was posted summed it all up.  Let the haters hate.  The rest can enjoy the GOAT.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:51:21 PM by TheLogo »
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
Lovely article. This thread was ridiculous anyway.

Online Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #187 on: July 11, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »
was?
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #188 on: July 11, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »

Of course you would be hurt!!  

You can slander Roger.  Make comments 1000x as bad about him and try to tarnish his image all you want on a board saying he has destroyed tennis and shamed the poor.   Yet if anyone says anything to you, you get HURT!  If you get hurt, did you every think that maybe Rog is a human being with feelings too and you shouldn't slander him so unjustly??!!

Of course not.

Here is another term for you to look up in the Oxford Dictionary, though this one I am sure you already know the meaning: HYPOCRITE.

Emma is a big girl.  She can handle her own, trust me when I say i highly doubt that she lost over sleep what someone wrote on a message board.  Now if only everyone could handle things like adults. ..-)

Plus, I am done with this thread.  It is just too silly.  That last great article that was posted summed it all up.  Let the haters hate.  The rest can enjoy the GOAT.

Look I can say something about Federer or nadal (still not anything derogatory) but for me to comment on someone's personal relations would be doing bad to them...i'm not commenting on your mum or dad and mind it no one can even dare do that about mine. I value relations more than anything in this world...

Ha are you behaving like an adult? Calling someone's ex has having hoofs? Give it a  break...and I'm sure you are much elder to me...so you are the one that has to behave like an adult.

And one more thing....Where on earth did  tarnish his image? Did I say that his GS are worthless? Did I say that his 50+ titles are fit to go down the drain? All I talked about was my distaste in his dressing sense...I've time and again said that Fed is a great man and one of the finest to ever hold the racket...now if that is tarnishing, slandering or some bull crap like that, well then I guess its time for you to refer to your dictionary.

Look I think everyone has a problem with my saying about the 'other countries'...what i was saying is that tennis today (atleast in my place and even in other parts of asia and largely in Africa and among the non-white communities in the US, UK etc)  is still perceived as a white man's sport and tennis i still finding it very hard to shed its country club image. I don't think anyone disagrees with me on that. When someone dresses up in dandy clothes, it only reinforces the image. That's all...I don't see where I was slandering or tarnishing him.

Once again Logo, no one here is even talking about the GOAT...looks like you never went through this thread completely.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2009, 08:12:33 PM »

Yeah Murray is a b**ch, Djokovic is a b**ch...in all of your 30 posts, you have only claimed this. Shame on you if you can't contribute to better stuff.   And yes the guy has earned millions from his talent...what if Emma has  talent and doesn't want to showcase it to the world? What if she doesn't crave for attention and money? If you justify his ego because of success he has earned, then man should everyone of the sports persons in their fields of excellence should have that ego... Topalov, Tendulkar, hamilton, Pele....all these guys must have massive egos. I for one would not call these people as having egos...may be you would. And yes, if you keep posting posts like these, you are going to have no friends in this place...oh wait perhaps you never want any.

Hey Logo!! Someone's SLANDERING HERE. But of course you won't see it.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2009, 08:16:35 PM »

Wow, tennis08 has a new alias :head-smack: Emma is making some 'interesting' points put there's no need or excuse to address somebody like that.
Thanks Kick, despite the disagreements we've had over several arguments, I'm glad you've never stooped down to such demeaning levels...you are a worthy person to discuss with than this tennis08 and this sarju04.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »

Yeah Murray is a b**ch, Djokovic is a b**ch...in all of your 30 posts, you have only claimed this. Shame on you if you can't contribute to better stuff.   And yes the guy has earned millions from his talent...what if Emma has  talent and doesn't want to showcase it to the world? What if she doesn't crave for attention and money? If you justify his ego because of success he has earned, then man should everyone of the sports persons in their fields of excellence should have that ego... Topalov, Tendulkar, hamilton, Pele....all these guys must have massive egos. I for one would not call these people as having egos...may be you would. And yes, if you keep posting posts like these, you are going to have no friends in this place...oh wait perhaps you never want any.

Wow the only difference you and me is that you put your comments in disguise of sweet words. I dont remember calling Murray a b**ch. I dont hate Murray but I do hate when some one is jabbing about him all the time. Falcon, if I really wanted to be offended and feel bad about myself, it wont be from any comments from you. You are pretty famous yourself of being a FED hater. Yeah, I don't expect in making friends online. I have real friends and I am contend with that. If you are here to make friends, then I think its really sad. Yeah of those 30 comments, I think you are narrow minded enough to see only those posts which pinches you, isn't it?

I am not saying its a law to have an ego for those who have achieved a lot but it's no big deal or its worth it who has it.

Where is Emma though, I was expecting to hear from her/him.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2009, 08:48:12 PM »

Wow the only difference you and me is that you put your comments in disguise of sweet words. I dont remember calling Murray a b**ch. I dont hate Murray but I do hate when some one is jabbing about him all the time. Falcon, if I really wanted to be offended and feel bad about myself, it wont be from any comments from you. You are pretty famous yourself of being a FED hater. Yeah, I don't expect in making friends online. I have real friends and I am contend with that. If you are here to make friends, then I think its really sad. Yeah of those 30 comments, I think you are narrow minded enough to see only those posts which pinches you, isn't it?

I am not saying its a law to have an ego for those who have achieved a lot but it's no big deal or its worth it who has it.

Fine by me...at least i don't resort to name calling....Its pretty pathetic considering the fact that no one was talking to you in the first place...well you did attack Sid and now you are attacking emma, so anyone who doesn't agree with you is a worthless poster in your eyes...be happy...I don't even care for some unknown people posting comments about people they don't even know. Good bye and happy hating. I have a life outside message boards and I'm heading towards that. And what's with Djokovic becoming Djokob**ch? I never ever use such things in any of my posts....now I know what kind of a pathetic poster you are.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2009, 09:06:27 PM »
The way I see it, Nike is ruining his image. Even the Fed fans who are not as crazy can see that, it's not in good taste. Why would I want to wear something that says I won 15 slams? That does not make any sense to me. Of course I am proud of my achievements, but there's no reason for me to wear it too. The whole world knows it anyway.

And you can't really blame Nike for the whole thing. It is just as much up to Federer to not make it so obvious. As I see it, they both wanted it.

According to you and a lot of Non-Federer fans - he didn't have an image to begin with - he was "bored" to you guys! :rofl_2:

Anyway - I love it - I love what Nike is doing and GO FED!   :rofl_2:

His boring personality has nothing to do with what he wears though. Personally I feel that, that sort of jackets should only be worn by singers who are extremely flamboyant and they do. But it's not a bad thing, because they are, after all, in show business.

But of course D, Fed can do nothing wrong in your eyes, so in other words, I don't take you all that too seriously. I like you and that's good enough for me; however, I don't have to like everything about you. You are allowed to have one bad taste and even go overboard with it - I don't mind it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:36:26 PM by Emma »
You are everything I am not.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »

Personally, I don't care what Federer wears. I don't give two hoots about it. Frankly, I didn't even watch any tennis since Friday, the last weekend of Wimbledon. As soon as Murray lost to Roddick, I was done with Wimbledon. To be even more honest, I didn't even get to see Murray's match because I was at work and far too busy for a Friday. The reason I voiced my opinion here is in twofolds: first, I wanted to defend falcon because Logo was completely and utterly wrong about her. She's a very sweet person not to mention very intelligent for a 20 year old. She's not a hater. She just happens to disagree with some of the things Federer does. She can be biased, yes but who isn't here? But she's not a hater. 2nd, I mentioned what my ex had to say to show you a point. He's in fact enjoying Fed's success or breaking Pete's record a great deal. I can tell from all of his posts but it's nothing personal against me, although he's dying to know how I feel about all this. The real reason is, he was a very big fan of Edberg and he feels Pete stole Edberg's moment, otherwise Edberg would have won more slams. Anyway, the reason why I posted his message is to show you, Federer fans, that he's not a Nadal fan nor a Nole or Murray fan, but at the same time he's not a crazy fan of Federer either. This is a fan who pretty much takes a neutral point of view. If you still feel very violent about it then that's fine, but that's the opinion out there as well. You can't possibly say he's a hater too even if that's the only word you know.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2009, 09:26:48 PM »

I guess I should be very proud of you now and I am. I am feeling a bit down though because I managed to scratch my car today and it's a deep scratch and in fact, in two places, so very hurt at the moment and feeling completely lost. I guess the morning does show the day at times.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #196 on: July 11, 2009, 09:30:37 PM »

I guess I should be very proud of you now and I am. I am feeling a bit down though because I managed to scratch my car today and it's a deep scratch and in fact, in two places, so very hurt at the moment and feeling completely lost. I guess the morning does show the day at times.

ouch I know you love that car of yours emma...guess you have to drop by at your pub and tell me everything about it  :))

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #197 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »

You can't tell whether I am a she or he? Oh, come now. I made it so obvious with my name and with that gender thing. Anyway, in the end, it doesn't matter if you didn't call Murray a b**ch, because you still called Nole a b**ch and so, you are still just as much guilty. I tell you what? If you really want to make a point, you can still do so without stooping low. It's quite possible. In fact, it's entirely possible.

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2009, 09:33:46 PM »

ouch I know you love that car of yours emma...guess you have to drop by at your pub and tell me everything about it  :))

I was heading that way anyway. I will tell you all. I don't think I will be able to get any sleep tonight. What a day I had really.

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »

Fine by me...at least i don't resort to name calling....Its pretty pathetic considering the fact that no one was talking to you in the first place...well you did attack Sid and now you are attacking emma, so anyone who doesn't agree with you is a worthless poster in your eyes...be happy...I don't even care for some unknown people posting comments about people they don't even know. Good bye and happy hating. I have a life outside message boards and I'm heading towards that. And what's with Djokovic becoming Djokob**ch? I never ever use such things in any of my posts....now I know what kind of a pathetic poster you are.

I am very surprised and impressed to see Emma far less offended than you Falcon. I was about to use the word "PATHETIC" against you before but I held back, I thought it would be inappropriate. Instead I used SAD but I think you don't have the decency to acknowledge that. Anyways, I can't expect anything better from a 20 year old, so I will just take it lightly. I guess you are having an awesome time somewhere out their with your friends while I am writing this.

First of all, if someone quotes my comments and responds accordingly, I would think that that someone is talking to me. My bad, if you weren't.

Second, I did attack SID but that was KARMA dont you think? He got what he asked for and many posters warned him that he might face this eventually. And anyways my reaction was in all sense a legit expression. It wasn't really an attack, it was more of a reminder that he was wrong.

Third, you judge someone too soon.

Last but not the least, Lets stop the nonsense right here and lets talk Tennis. From outset, it was a stupid thread anyways