Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 22180 times)

Offline Arjen

• Tennis God
  • Federer, BAKKER, Rod, Nole!Stay uninjured Haase!:D
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
To me it also seemed not a nice thing to do, even though someone gave it to him.
It's like he already claimed the victory before he played if you know what I mean, felt kinda bad towards Andy.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 06:41:36 PM »
A better Jacket Roger could have worn is what he said before the AO Final

"I prefer not having a RIVAL" Rogers own words on facing his rival Rafa at the AO  :cool:

I think that says it all  :whistle:

No it does not say anything IMO...It is just an honest answer: Do you like all this rivalry business? Honest answer by a normal human being No..What's wrong..I see you prefer the highly hypocrite answer (or politically correct) like: "Yes nowadays is a lot better than in the past. A lot of competion, great fight all the time: No I like that a lot" (THIS SORT OF ANSWER IS PURE HYPOCRITE  :// )...

Come on!! FED from the beginning of '08 onward is, if you did not notice, in his past peak decline career phase:

So, he is well aware that the time remaining to complete his CV is running out fast..

So honestly, when you are there it is definitely better to have less than more competition: THIS IS AN HONEST ANSWER  ://

Anyway, as usual, your answer will be to post your 10000 of  :rofl_2: symbol..Pointing out that I am a FED fanatic and so on and so forth and that I am unable to se his arrogance..That he is not a great champion, just because you dislike (hate) him and so on and so forth..

I am already  :ZZZZZ) on that..

BTW: If I remember well: 1) FED's words about rivalry was different than your sentence: "I prefer not having a RIVAL", 2) He said that after the AO final if I am not wrong..But if you have a link that proved the contrary every happy to accept ..-) :whistle:

STFU  :)
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »
To me it also seemed not a nice thing to do, even though someone gave it to him.
It's like he already claimed the victory before he played if you know what I mean, felt kinda bad towards Andy.

Well done, someone goes against the norm  :gleam:

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »

And what if he lost but someone gave it to him by mistake. Not knowing he put it on anyway, that would be... well something to think about.  :confused1:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 07:22:09 PM »

And what if he lost but someone gave it to him by mistake. Not knowing he put it on anyway, that would be... well something to think about.  :confused1:

But he didn't lose  :ZZZZZ)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
I knew he was a bit of an egotist but this was too much for me....it kind of sent a message that he already had the number stitched before the match which means that he was super sure that he would beat ARod....pity really...it was not a nice 'place' to wear it...he could have worn it at the press meeting or may be when the USO started (opening ceremony) whether the jacket was given to him or not, it was in terrible taste...I didn't like it atleast.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
I knew he was a bit of an egotist but this was too much for me....it kind of sent a message that he already had the number stitched before the match which means that he was super sure that he would beat ARod....pity really...it was not a nice 'place' to wear it...he could have worn it at the press meeting or may be when the USO started (opening ceremony) whether the jacket was given to him or not, it was in terrible taste...I didn't like it atleast.

Guys, ROGER didn't stitch the number. This was a NIKE thing.  Just like the world series winners and the super bowl winners.  You guys are too much and are making too much out of this.  Have you seen the jacket?  Look at it.  The 15 is barely noticeable and I'm sure Roddick was not offended at all by it.  So chill!!!!!! :)>>>>

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:15 PM »
He could have definitely 'not' worn it at that stage.  It wasn't in a good spirit. It might have been a nike thing but will they do it without his knowledge? He could as well told them that he would wear it in the press room or something....remember, nike needs him...its not the other way round. Team sports are different whereas tennis is a selfish individual sport...this was classless IMO (and in the opinion of many others too). Sampras never  wore a number 13 or number 14 jacket...plain and simple.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »
He could have definitely 'not' worn it at that stage.  It wasn't in a good spirit. It might have been a nike thing but will they do it without his knowledge? He could as well told them that he would wear it in the press room or something....remember, nike needs him...its not the other way round. Team sports are different whereas tennis is a selfish individual sport...this was classless IMO (and in the opinion of many others too). Sampras never  wore a number 13 or number 14 jacket...plain and simple.

Well guess we have to agree to disagree here.  I saw nothing wrong with him wearing that jacket and it was done with class by Nike.  I commend both of this.  This is a historic moment and they had a right to celebrate it any way they wanted to.  I bet if you ask Andy he wouldn't have a problem with Roger wearing it either.  Hats off to Nike and Roger because it was a nice touch to me.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 10:08:50 PM »
Give it up Dallas. Everybody can see through that facade of pleasantness, and gracious interviews. It's clear as the nose on his face. He is vane, preening, and thinks he is God's gift to planet Earth.
Besides, I heard a rumour of a report that indicated that a police officer (bobby as they call it in London) talked to a bum, who heard it from a junkie, who talked to the ghost of Sid Vicious that a cockroach spotted Federer dipping into a sewing store for a needle and some gold thread a couple of days before the final. The cheek!

Now I've got to hunt around for some sarcasm emoticon......  ::::))))

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
He could have definitely 'not' worn it at that stage.  It wasn't in a good spirit. It might have been a nike thing but will they do it without his knowledge? He could as well told them that he would wear it in the press room or something....remember, nike needs him...its not the other way round. Team sports are different whereas tennis is a selfish individual sport...this was classless IMO (and in the opinion of many others too). Sampras never  wore a number 13 or number 14 jacket...plain and simple.

Oh Puh-leese! you cannot be serious! Laver never played with all this new-fangled stringy stuff either! That doesn't mean the equipment for the sport should have stood still for eternity!

When Murray lost, weeks of work on a number of features celebrating his win went down the drain... you think broadcast producers are going to wait until he actually wins the championships to start working on a documentary feature to celebrate his win? If roger hadn't won Wimbledon, they'd just have dumped the jacket and their marketing people, if they're worth their salt, would already have had stuff on the drawing board for USO and AO. It's 21st century marketing we're talking about. Tennis as a sport can't welcome the sponsorship money that is so critical to funding its tournaments and the development of the sport on the one hand, but then suddenly sniff its pristine, traditional nose at new and constantly evolving marketing techniques.... and in this instance you can't even properly call it "new" - it's just catching up with almost every other major sport.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:29:11 PM by barbadosan »

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 10:34:50 PM »
He could have definitely 'not' worn it at that stage.  It wasn't in a good spirit. It might have been a nike thing but will they do it without his knowledge? He could as well told them that he would wear it in the press room or something....remember, nike needs him...its not the other way round. Team sports are different whereas tennis is a selfish individual sport...this was classless IMO (and in the opinion of many others too). Sampras never  wore a number 13 or number 14 jacket...plain and simple.

Back in the day, players didn't celebrate winners with fist pumps and lawn mower motions or jumping around like a kangaroo either. Players didn't grunt when hitting the ball or yell "come on!". Tennis, in fact sports, today is different than it was in the past. Players are different than they were in the past. In the past players would have never shown up their opponents in such uncouth fashion.
Companies are more in control of what players do and say than ever before. Marketing is quicker and quicker to jump on an opportunity than ever before. It's a different world, and we just have to live with it.
I agree that Federer could have passed on the opportunity to wear the jacket, and the cash that probably went along with it. Or maybe Nike just did it as a tribute to him, and he accepted the praise (and Nike gets yet more publicity to boot). I don't know the backstory. But Nadal doesn't have to wear "Vamos Rafa" on the backs of his shoes either (also courtesy of Nike). It's the way things are today. Unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:35:38 PM by dmastous »

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:04 AM »
A better Jacket Roger could have worn is what he said before the AO Final

"I prefer not having a RIVAL" Rogers own words on facing his rival Rafa at the AO  :cool:

I think that says it all  :whistle:

No it does not say anything IMO...It is just an honest answer: Do you like all this rivalry business? Honest answer by a normal human being No..What's wrong..I see you prefer the highly hypocrite answer (or politically correct) like: "Yes nowadays is a lot better than in the past. A lot of competion, great fight all the time: No I like that a lot" (THIS SORT OF ANSWER IS PURE HYPOCRITE  :// )...

Come on!! FED from the beginning of '08 onward is, if you did not notice, in his past peak decline career phase:

So, he is well aware that the time remaining to complete his CV is running out fast..

So honestly, when you are there it is definitely better to have less than more competition: THIS IS AN HONEST ANSWER  ://

Anyway, as usual, your answer will be to post your 10000 of  :rofl_2: symbol..Pointing out that I am a FED fanatic and so on and so forth and that I am unable to se his arrogance..That he is not a great champion, just because you dislike (hate) him and so on and so forth..

I am already  :ZZZZZ) on that..

BTW: If I remember well: 1) FED's words about rivalry was different than your sentence: "I prefer not having a RIVAL", 2) He said that after the AO final if I am not wrong..But if you have a link that proved the contrary every happy to accept ..-) :whistle:

STFU  :)

Could you please explain-translate? And as well why not answer to my two last questions for a change...I.e. my points 1) AND 2)...But as usual you will avoid to face your own contradictions..Sad stuff.. :ZZZZZ) :ZZZZZ)
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 02:16:25 AM »

Oh Puh-leese! you cannot be serious! Laver never played with all this new-fangled stringy stuff either! That doesn't mean the equipment for the sport should have stood still for eternity!

When Murray lost, weeks of work on a number of features celebrating his win went down the drain... you think broadcast producers are going to wait until he actually wins the championships to start working on a documentary feature to celebrate his win? If roger hadn't won Wimbledon, they'd just have dumped the jacket and their marketing people, if they're worth their salt, would already have had stuff on the drawing board for USO and AO. It's 21st century marketing we're talking about. Tennis as a sport can't welcome the sponsorship money that is so critical to funding its tournaments and the development of the sport on the one hand, but then suddenly sniff its pristine, traditional nose at new and constantly evolving marketing techniques.... and in this instance you can't even properly call it "new" - it's just catching up with almost every other major sport.

Murray is not the first to be celebrated by the british media...we all know how the british media is! Henman, even Anne Keothovong was highly rated by the british media...not to mention how the british media keep reminding us of the next big phenomenon of Laura Robson...i don't know any other 'next' phenomenon from any other country...that's the media doing it....

I have nothing against the jacket...I'm just saying that the timing was wrong.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 02:36:34 AM »

Murray is not the first to be celebrated by the british media...we all know how the british media is! Henman, even Anne Keothovong was highly rated by the british media...not to mention how the british media keep reminding us of the next big phenomenon of Laura Robson...i don't know any other 'next' phenomenon from any other country...that's the media doing it....

I have nothing against the jacket...I'm just saying that the timing was wrong.

BTW about the jacket this is an update I found in another Tennis board:

This was done by Nike as a surprise to Fed for winning the 15th GS. If you noticed at the first commercial Nike also ran a congrats ad with several sport stars congratulating Fed for the 15th. A publicity stunt by NIKE not Fed. McEnroe knew about it because he was told by the Nike rep. Get a clue people; it's advertising as Nike does in a lot of other sports.

details here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=272888

Could be interesting to investigate? ...Might be it was really like that and it was a surprise: Who knows? Anyway: I agree the entire idea was stupid and he should have refused:

He did not, he made a mistake IMO..But now it is done and let move on..

In any case Alison will be referring to this jacket for the rest of her (in this borad) "life"..Pathetic I tell you.. :( :(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 02:48:18 AM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 03:14:45 AM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2009, 03:17:33 AM »

Back in the day, players didn't celebrate winners with fist pumps and lawn mower motions or jumping around like a kangaroo either. Players didn't grunt when hitting the ball or yell "come on!". Tennis, in fact sports, today is different than it was in the past. Players are different than they were in the past. In the past players would have never shown up their opponents in such uncouth fashion.
Companies are more in control of what players do and say than ever before. Marketing is quicker and quicker to jump on an opportunity than ever before. It's a different world, and we just have to live with it.
I agree that Federer could have passed on the opportunity to wear the jacket, and the cash that probably went along with it. Or maybe Nike just did it as a tribute to him, and he accepted the praise (and Nike gets yet more publicity to boot). I don't know the backstory. But Nadal doesn't have to wear "Vamos Rafa" on the backs of his shoes either (also courtesy of Nike). It's the way things are today. Unfortunately.
Again...Federer is a big big star...he doesn't need nike...nike needs him...he could have politely told them that he would wear it in the press where the company would get a lot of publicity anyway or the start of the next big tournament where there will be more respect for the guy.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2009, 03:40:22 AM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

falcon we are not idiots here  :)): I saw your point (less the one of Alison because her intention has always been the same from the start, i.e. tarnish FED's career and results and wind up FED's fans):

Once again, I agree with you: He made a mistake, he lack of class in this occasion!

My GOD it happens. FED is a human being and not Jesus  :rofl_2: ..He bounds to make mistakes, right!

Still, all in all, given his over exposure to media in the last, what 6 years (starting from Wimbledon '03) and in particular to the UK press, the man has behave quite well avoiding to create a lot of problems..If not how on heart do you explain that the other player did choose him so often as being the best "fair" player? ..

So, live with that and move on!

We are not obliged be a fan of the same player BUT come out after each major win by FED by pointing out something against him (as Alison did in the last 5 years), this is just PATHETIC. :( :(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 03:43:00 AM by TennisVeritas »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2009, 03:46:25 AM »

falcon we are not idiots here  :)): I saw your point (less the one of Alison because her intention has always been the same from the start, i.e. tarnish FED's career and results and wind up FED's fans):. Once again, I agree with you: He made a mistake, he lack of class in this occasion: My GOD it happens. FED is a human being and not Jesus..He bounds to make mistakes..

Still, all in all, given his over exposure to media in the last, what 6 years (starting from Wimbledon '03) and in particular to the UK press the man has behave quite well avoiding to create a lot of problems..If not how on heart the other player did choose him so often as being the best "fair" player? ..

We are not obliged be a fan of the same player BUT come out after each major win by FED by pointing out something against him (as Alison did in the last 5 years), this is just PATHETIC. :( :(

Finally you get my point Veritas, I appreciate that. More than anything I guess it was a moment of childish immaturity what many of non fed fans say arrogance on his part...I don't know...whatever the case may be, I guess had Sue not pointed it out, no one would have known.  You and I prefer different players....statistics are there for everyone to see, just that Alison or I are not necessarily bowing to them.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2009, 03:58:33 AM »

falcon we are not idiots here  :)): I saw your point (less the one of Alison because her intention has always been the same from the start, i.e. tarnish FED's career and results and wind up FED's fans):. Once again, I agree with you: He made a mistake, he lack of class in this occasion: My GOD it happens. FED is a human being and not Jesus..He bounds to make mistakes..

Still, all in all, given his over exposure to media in the last, what 6 years (starting from Wimbledon '03) and in particular to the UK press the man has behave quite well avoiding to create a lot of problems..If not how on heart the other player did choose him so often as being the best "fair" player? ..

Finally you get my point Veritas, I appreciate that. More than anything I guess it was a moment of childish immaturity what many of non fed fans say arrogance on his part...I don't know...whatever the case may be, I guess had Sue not pointed it out, no one would have known.  You and I prefer different players....statistics are there for everyone to see, just that Alison or I are not necessarily bowing to them.

Fair enough and I do not see any problem on that: The point with Alison is just the fact of spotting something against FED just when the guy is reaching some new record. She is ALWAYS telling us something negative against FED..It is just so boring , sad  and pathetic: You dislike a player, so it is live with that and follow the others..What is the added value of coming in a board ONLY to tarnish the achievement of a great player? ...Anyway...