Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 24069 times)

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2009, 07:15:06 AM »
I really believe that this article from the New York Times just fit in this discussion:

WIMBLEDON, England -- There were no tears this time, correct?

''No, not this time,'' Roger Federer confirmed as he sat on a couch at the All England Club on Monday, his unfurrowed brow and languid movements indicating that his long-planned vacation from the joys and pressures of tennis had already, in a manner, begun.

''It was a little bit emotional later maybe when I saw my whole team again, Mirka and the group,'' he said, speaking of his wife. ''But on the court, it wasn't a day for tears. I think it was more one of those moments where I was feeling like, I did it! Kind of an energetic, crazy moment. Because when I saw the footage again, I was like: 'Oh my God. I'm jumping like a boy who can't believe he won.' ''

That feeling was understandable Sunday, considering how historically deep Federer and Andy Roddickplayed into the fifth set of the latest Wimbledon summit meeting suitable for downloading.

Wimbledon, the oldest tennis tournament in the world, with its affinity for tradition, has a new tradition of producing classic men's finals. Federer needed five sets to defeat Rafael Nadal of Spain in 2007, five more sets to lose to Nadal last year and then required the longest fifth set in terms of games in the 132-year history of Grand Slam finals to beat Roddick, 5-7, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5), 3-6, 16-14.

Though Federer often made it look easy to win major trophies in the early years of his career, no one can accuse him of making it look easy anymore. He had to fight through two five-setters this year to get to the French Open final, where he won his 14th Grand Slam singles title.

On Sunday, he had to serve, serve and serve some more to hold off Roddick and win his record-breaking 15th.

It is a men's record with an asterisk in the sense that, before the open era, many of the game's luminaries played in only a few Grand Slam tournaments before turning professional. For a better sense of where the record may stand, it is useful to look at the numbers for women, who rarely left the amateur ranks. The record for singles titles there, held by Margaret Court of Australia, is 24.

But Federer, all caveats aside, has passed the target available, and it could have been expected that when he did pass it, he would drop to his knees on the grass. Instead, Federer stayed on his feet and met Roddick quickly at the net.

''It was an amazing moment in my career, but I know the pain Andy must have gone through, and that's also I guess one of the reasons I didn't go overly crazy about the victory on the court,'' Federer said. :whistle: :whistle:

His 15th came at the same place he won his first, in 2003, when Federer had thick stubble on his face and wore his hair in a short ponytail.

''It definitely feels like it's come full circle for me, starting it here and ending it here,'' Federer said Sunday. ''Of course, my career is far from over.''  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2: How many Alison's uselss posts  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Federer has made that point repeatedly in the wake of his sixth Wimbledon title, beginning with his decision to arrive at his postmatch news conference wearing a T-shirt that read, ''There is no finish line.''
The logical assumption is that a tennis player who now has just about everything and is about to become a father is ripe for a motivational lapse. But Federer argues that he takes too much pleasure in the game and, perhaps just as important, the nomadic life of a tennis professional, to start winding down quite yet.

That said, he does not plan to play again for five weeks, with Mirka expected to give birth during that span. He intends to return for the World Tour 1000 tournament next month in Cincinnati, where Nadal also plans to make his return after missing Wimbledon with tendinitis in his knees.

''I definitely have to regroup after this victory and put my mind in the right frame of mind for the rest of the season,'' Federer said. ''I definitely want to finish the year at No. 1.''

Parenthood could, of course, change matters, for a champion who will turn 28 on Aug. 8. But Federer -- a multilingual global villager with a former tennis player for a spouse -- is better equipped than most of his predecessors to endure.

''I can't just be at home for the next six months; I want to travel,'' he said. ''Mirka said she has no problem traveling with me, so we'll see how possible that will all be. It's good times, you know, and I'm not worried. I'm not going to be like: 'What now? I've reached everything, and there's no more point of playing, it's better to just retire.' ''
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2009, 07:28:18 AM »
You know what Veritas? The part you mentioned in bold...that's precisely the reason why i like Rafa...remember how somber his celebration was in RG 08? That's class...not to mention how he consoled a sobbing fed in the AO this year.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
You know what Veritas? The part you mentioned in bold...that's precisely the reason why i like Rafa...remember how somber his celebration was in RG 08? That's class...not to mention how he consoled a sobbing fed in the AO this year.
Come on!! Did Rafa achieve some major record with his victory at the RG '08..Nope..Come FED's reaction, a part the 15 accident, two days ago was in all respect just perfect... On that side: Fed was just perfect as well once he reached the Borg's record in '07 Wimbledon: All in all in the majority of his 15 ceremonies he was just class in act IMO..And BTW I always liked people who are showing their own feelings so... :) :)
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2009, 07:37:15 AM »
Again, you and I disagree...i'll leave it at that....I don't find the class that the media claims that Fed has...that's it...stitching number 15 on his jacket and wearing it just after the win was definitely not class. We'll leave it at that.

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »
Again, you and I disagree...i'll leave it at that....I don't find the class that the media claims that Fed has...that's it...stitching number 15 on his jacket and wearing it just after the win was definitely not class. We'll leave it at that.

Sure we let like that given that you do not see my point (despite I have pointed out several times):

1 error, the 15 in the jacket -as I have easily recognised- does not make that he made errors in all the rest 14 ceremonies..

I did not see all these errors by FED: You with Alison you are able to see all that: I can easily live with that (your problem basically not mine).

:)) :))
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 07:50:48 AM by TennisVeritas »

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

It would seem rather ungracious for Fed to turn down an on-the-spot gift though, from his sponsor no less.  If you get promoted at your place of work over a fellow employee and your boss buys you a cake, you better eat the hell out of that cake when he brings it out, not after the fellow employee goes home for the night.   

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 08:00:13 AM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

It would seem rather ungracious for Fed to turn down an on-the-spot gift though, from his sponsor no less.  If you get promoted at your place of work over a fellow employee and your boss buys you a cake, you better eat the hell out of that cake when he brings it out, not after the fellow employee goes home for the night.   

Wrong i infact wouldn't hurt the feelings of my co worker who worked equally hard to get my promotion...not to mention the fact that the boss is actually my b**ch (I mean nike in fed's case) I can easily tell my boss (rather request) that i would like to hold a party and invite all my co workers to it and eat the cake there, rather than showing the cake to my co worker and eat it in front of him, while he's still reeling under the shock of him not being promoted. That's just me...of course others may like it differently.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 08:06:07 AM »

Sure we let like that given that you do not see my point (despite I have pointed out several times):

1 error, the 15 in the jacket -as I have easily recognised- does not make that he made errors in all the rest 14 ceremonies..

I did not see all these errors by FED: You with Alison you are able to see all that: I can easily live with that (your problem basically not mine).

Then you haven't seen any other matches of his? What about AO this year and his sob-fest? What if Andy had broken down and stole away Fed's moment of history? And this is not recent...calling Andy one dimensional, Nadal one dimensional (So what if they are one-dimensional? Its working for them!), early on in his career calling a so called Mantilla whom he lost to in 03 as to having a 'boring game' its got on to my nerves...I don't mind Mc Enroe doing that...why? The media called him an arrogant prick anyway...Fed does it but the media calls him a 'humble champion' while Serena (yes she's a bigger egotist) gets all the slack from the media. Double standards? I say this is a perfect example.

Yes all this is Alison's and my problem and yes we are seeing all this because we are not blinded... but we are living with it aren't we?

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
I bet NIKE already has plans for what the #16 jacket for the USO will look like. NIKE probably thought that was really clever and a big success at Wimby and are already think-tanking a whole line of Federer "#" products :rofl_2:

This thread could get to epic sized proportions by the time Fed is done playing :scared:

Federer: "Oooops; I didn't know they were going to make special #23 a##less chaps for me" :rofl_2:
Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15:29 AM »

Then you haven't seen any other matches of his? What about AO this year and his sob-fest? What if Andy had broken down and stole away Fed's moment of history? And this is not recent...calling Andy one dimensional, Nadal one dimensional (So what if they are one-dimensional? Its working for them!), early on in his career calling a so called Mantilla whom he lost to in 03 as to having a 'boring game' its got on to my nerves...I don't mind Mc Enroe doing that...why? The media called him an arrogant prick anyway...Fed does it but the media calls him a 'humble champion' while Serena (yes she's a bigger egotist) gets all the slack from the media. Double standards? I say this is a perfect example.

Yes all this is Alison's and my problem and yes we are seeing all this because we are not blinded... but we are living with it aren't we?

About as well as that cat is living with the prospect of hitting water :)~ :))

Cheer up; Rafa will be back soon :)>>>>

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2009, 08:15:41 AM »
I guess his jacket is going to say " I'm sorry  player x...you know...i just have to win you know...you lost you know...it happens you know...i guess I'm lucky today you know "  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »

About as well as that cat is living with the prospect of hitting water :)~ :))

Cheer up; Rafa will be back soon :)>>>>

The cat is safe as long as you don't think of it as your food  :scared: :scared:   Anyway, this has nothing to do with Rafa...I never felt anything for Roddick anytime...never liked him much as a player but yesterday especially during that number 15 moment I felt for him. I felt that sense of sadness for him....

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:43 AM »

Serena gets what she deserves, from the media I think. I think when all things come together Fed is a humble champion, he has some bad moments, but who doesn't??? Rafa had those moments too, but no one says that he is arrogant or smtng, it's because those moments doesn't define the person, they are humans and thats normal

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »
I guess his jacket is going to say " I'm sorry  player x...you know...i just have to win you know...you lost you know...it happens you know...i guess I'm lucky today you know "  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

:))

Funny NIKE doesn't make little windshield wipers for his RF hat when he loses :zipped:

Emma

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:11 AM »

Then you haven't seen any other matches of his? What about AO this year and his sob-fest? What if Andy had broken down and stole away Fed's moment of history? Why not I do not see any problems: He decided of not doing that..It is his (AROD) problem IMO

And this is not recent...

Calling Andy one dimensional, Nadal one dimensional When during a GS ceremonies? We are talking of that!!  Give me the links please..

And as far as I know he said that Rafa was playing all the time the same game quite one dimensional back in '05 (or '06 before Monte carlo)..

Guess what he was quite right: Rafa was playing all the time the same way whatever the surface at the moment..IMO..

(So what if they are one-dimensional? Its working for them!), Link about when he told Andy to be one dimensional: This is new..

Early on in his career calling a so called Mantilla whom he lost to in 03 as to having a 'boring game' its got on to my nerves...Link please, but who cares if it was his opinion at that time....Let me see: he was still a teeneger!! You are still getting your nerves UP for something so far :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

I don't mind Mc Enroe doing that...why? The media called him an arrogant prick anyway...

Fed does it but the media calls him a 'humble champion' while Serena (yes she's a bigger egotist) gets all the slack from the media. Double standards? I say this is a perfect example.

My answers in RED.

And this last sentence is a shame:

Yes all this is Alison's and my problem and yes we are seeing all this because we are not blinded

I mean why you are getting so nervous??

This guy has been under the fire of the media in his last 6 years and despite of that he has made very few mistakes: You just believe that they are a lot..

But cool down: The perfect human being does not exist..They are only human beings who do make mistakes time to time (and FED's main mistake is the fact that sometime he is too honest in front of the media IMO).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:34:09 AM by TennisVeritas »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »

:))

Funny NIKE doesn't make little windshield wipers for his RF hat when he loses :zipped:
You bring humor where its needed...I like that  :))

Offline miticfam

• Tennis God
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »

:rofl_2:

FEDERER THE GOAT, 16 GSs, Career Slam, 21 GS finals, 23! consecutive GS SFs
My favs: Federer, Djokovic, DelPotro, Haas, Ana, Henin:)

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2009, 08:23:04 AM »

Wrong i infact wouldn't hurt the feelings of my co worker who worked equally hard to get my promotion...not to mention the fact that the boss is actually my b**ch (I mean nike in fed's case) I can easily tell my boss (rather request) that i would like to hold a party and invite all my co workers to it and eat the cake there, rather than showing the cake to my co worker and eat it in front of him, while he's still reeling under the shock of him not being promoted. That's just me...of course others may like it differently.

Let's elaborate on this analogy a bit more.  There is already a party going on, in which the fellow employee is at as well.  Banners, party hats, the works.  During which, your boss brings out a cake.  

If Roddick was really going to be upset showboating, it would have started right after the last point and at the beginning of the ceremony, because at all slams, it's Party Hour starring Grand Slam Winner at that point.  To me, watching your opponent receive a gift from his sponsor is nothing compared to the direct slap in the face of seeing the opponent kiss the trophy and parade around with it.  Receiving and wearing that jacket doesn't add any fuel to the fire in my opinion.  

I can see your angle though, and respect that you think it was in poor taste, but it seems fine to me from my perspective.  

Plus, maybe I'm just used to it as an American:

One final thought, I think that sports stars are much more beholden to their sponsors than you think.  Nike may do their best to please Federer, but that's within the confines of a legal document that says "you're going to do what we want you to do within certain parameters".  I mean, Federer is legally bound to appear clean-shaven before every public appearance by the terms of his contract with Gillette.  Nike isn't Federer's b**ch, he's an extremely well-treated, but bound by the terms of a contract, employee.  

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

It would seem rather ungracious for Fed to turn down an on-the-spot gift though, from his sponsor no less.  If you get promoted at your place of work over a fellow employee and your boss buys you a cake, you better eat the hell out of that cake when he brings it out, not after the fellow employee goes home for the night.    

Let's elaborate on this analogy a bit more.  There is already a party going on, in which the fellow employee is at as well.  Banners, party hats, the works.  During which, your boss brings out a cake.  

If Roddick was really going to be upset showboating, it would have started right after the last point and at the beginning of the ceremony, because at all slams, it's Party Hour starring Grand Slam Winner at that point.  To me, watching your opponent receive a gift from his sponsor is nothing compared to the direct slap in the face of seeing the opponent kiss the trophy and parade around with it.  Receiving and wearing that jacket doesn't add any fuel to the fire in my opinion.  

I can see your angle though, and respect that you think it was in poor taste, but it seems fine to me from my perspective.  

Plus, maybe I'm just used to it as an American:

One final thought, I think that sports stars are much more beholden to their sponsors than you think.  Nike may do their best to please Federer, but that's within the confines of a legal document that says "you're going to do what we want you to do within certain parameters".  I mean, Federer is legally bound to appear clean-shaven before every public appearance by the terms of his contract with Gillette.  Nike isn't Federer's b**ch, he's an extremely well-treated, but bound by the terms of a contract, employee.  

I guess that says it....people here treat players as demi gods and any slip up from their part is analysed very very carefully so we expect players to live up to the standard that they have been set to....as for the pics, I think all of them are team sports...and none of the sports are played in my country....cricket is the religion here but cricket is a gentleman's game...like tennis, so we don't expect such things.  Again, I think fed could have politely told that he would wear the jacket later
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:36:00 AM by falcon »

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:05 PM »
I can't believe people are still talking about a 15 on a jacket that you can hardly see! :rofl_2:

Again, I saw no problem.  If you guys follow Roger, normally he does not wear the clothing that he had for Wimbledon any more after the championship.  So that was the only time he wore that jacket.  Where else was Nike gonna get the "bang for the buck" advertising than for him to wear it on court?  Roger has now moved on to his Blue/White combination for the US Open.

Again, as I said earlier, I think it was very tastefully presented, small #15 on the back side of the jacket.  I bet if anyone interviewed Roddick he wouldn't say "oh, I was so heartbroken when Roger put on that jacket". :whistle:  If anything, he was more hurt when Roger held up that trophy. So you guys need to get a grip over the jacket and move on.

Like others have said.  Roger can say "Hi" and some folks on this board would say "well, he should have said hello instead of hi"! :head-smack:

I watched a tape that I had from ESPN before the SF match with Haas and they had a sportscaster in the studio who said Roger is the nicest tennis player he has ever been around.  Doesn't sound like the same man some of you (who I may add that have never met him) are describing here.