Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 24330 times)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »

Some sports are worse, like in soccer when someone makes a goal he starts running around the whole field with his hands up in the air.  :confused1:

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2009, 04:15:29 PM »

Some sports are worse, like in soccer when someone makes a goal he starts running around the whole field with his hands up in the air.  :confused1:

Who can blame them? It takes them long enough to score; and I'd be jumping up and down like a retard too after running that much and finally making a point.
Marching Towards the Abyss.............

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »

Who can blame them? It takes them long enough to score; and I'd be jumping up and down like a retard too after running that much and finally making a point.

yeah goals don't come easy, how many games end 1-0 or even in a draw 0-0? A lot! So, I gotta stick up for futbol here.
:)~

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »

yeah goals don't come easy, how many games end 1-0 or even in a draw 0-0? A lot! So, I gotta stick up for futbol here.

Well buddy you can have it. If I have insomnia I will watch and it helps tremendously; as long as I mute it so I don't have to listen to those stupid horns blowing :)~

"Pete, oh Pete, you're so divine; your smile, your eyes, your receding hairline"

Emma

Offline avidkeystamper

• Tennis Enthusiast
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 04:46:05 PM »
I think it's absolutely ludicrous to try and criticize and expose Roger as a fraud in terms of class over such a miniscule detail. Geez, lighten up people, Roddick's not a sissie and neither are most grown men.

Offline Monky

• Tennis God
  • But...i'm wearing my Nike's
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Well buddy you can have it. If I have insomnia I will watch and it helps tremendously; as long as I mute it so I don't have to listen to those stupid horns blowing :)~

what a jerk :\ :)~ :rofl_2:
:)~

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
He could have definitely 'not' worn it at that stage.  It wasn't in a good spirit. It might have been a nike thing but will they do it without his knowledge? He could as well told them that he would wear it in the press room or something....remember, nike needs him...its not the other way round. Team sports are different whereas tennis is a selfish individual sport...this was classless IMO (and in the opinion of many others too). Sampras never  wore a number 13 or number 14 jacket...plain and simple.

Oh Puh-leese! you cannot be serious! Laver never played with all this new-fangled stringy stuff either! That doesn't mean the equipment for the sport should have stood still for eternity!

When Murray lost, weeks of work on a number of features celebrating his win went down the drain... you think broadcast producers are going to wait until he actually wins the championships to start working on a documentary feature to celebrate his win? If roger hadn't won Wimbledon, they'd just have dumped the jacket and their marketing people, if they're worth their salt, would already have had stuff on the drawing board for USO and AO. It's 21st century marketing we're talking about. Tennis as a sport can't welcome the sponsorship money that is so critical to funding its tournaments and the development of the sport on the one hand, but then suddenly sniff its pristine, traditional nose at new and constantly evolving marketing techniques.... and in this instance you can't even properly call it "new" - it's just catching up with almost every other major sport.

Murray is not the first to be celebrated by the british media...we all know how the british media is! Henman, even Anne Keothovong was highly rated by the british media...not to mention how the british media keep reminding us of the next big phenomenon of Laura Robson...i don't know any other 'next' phenomenon from any other country...that's the media doing it....

I have nothing against the jacket...I'm just saying that the timing was wrong.

BTW about the jacket this is an update I found in another Tennis board:

This was done by Nike as a surprise to Fed for winning the 15th GS. If you noticed at the first commercial Nike also ran a congrats ad with several sport stars congratulating Fed for the 15th. A publicity stunt by NIKE not Fed. McEnroe knew about it because he was told by the Nike rep. Get a clue people; it's advertising as Nike does in a lot of other sports.

details here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=272888

Could be interesting to investigate? ...Might be it was really like that and it was a surprise: Who knows? Anyway: I agree the entire idea was stupid and he should have refused:

He did not, he made a mistake IMO..But now it is done and let move on..

In any case Alison will be referring to this jacket for the rest of her (in this borad) "life"..Pathetic I tell you.. :( :(

Don't worry your silly little head Veritas about what I refer to on here, I didn't like the stupid jacket and I posted that, no big deal, you said yourself it was a stupid idea  :gleam: that I will agree with you!!

I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2009, 05:20:58 PM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

falcon we are not idiots here  :)): I saw your point (less the one of Alison because her intention has always been the same from the start, i.e. tarnish FED's career and results and wind up FED's fans):
Once again, I agree with you: He made a mistake, he lack of class in this occasion!

My GOD it happens. FED is a human being and not Jesus  :rofl_2: ..He bounds to make mistakes, right!

Still, all in all, given his over exposure to media in the last, what 6 years (starting from Wimbledon '03) and in particular to the UK press, the man has behave quite well avoiding to create a lot of problems..If not how on heart do you explain that the other player did choose him so often as being the best "fair" player? ..

So, live with that and move on!

We are not obliged be a fan of the same player BUT come out after each major win by FED by pointing out something against him (as Alison did in the last 5 years), this is just PATHETIC. :( :(

Tarnish Feds career me  :innocent: How about you and your need to tarnish Petes career, slating his opponents, forgot about that have ya

I don't like Roger and I find him arrogant and smug and soo full of himself and I don't care if you don't like it, you are waaaaayyyy toooooo SENSITIVE Take your head from inside Feds ass and get real

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »

True, some of those games nothing happens for so long, I guess their happy.
If I made a goal I wouldn't do that though. I guess how you were raised comes into it.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2009, 05:34:09 PM »
I bet NIKE already has plans for what the #16 jacket for the USO will look like. ....

I can picture the design meetings and board meetings with sleeping execs and busy appretices keeping notes.  ..-)
What a waste.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
I bet NIKE already has plans for what the #16 jacket for the USO will look like. ....

I can picture the design meetings and board meetings with sleeping execs and busy appretices keeping notes.  ..-)
What a waste.

It has to be worth at least a few meetings, and maybe a few lunches brought in too, if they get stuck on a few points.

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
I bet NIKE already has plans for what the #16 jacket for the USO will look like. NIKE probably thought that was really clever and a big success at Wimby and are already think-tanking a whole line of Federer "#" products :rofl_2:

This thread could get to epic sized proportions by the time Fed is done playing :scared:

Federer: "Oooops; I didn't know they were going to make special #23 a##less chaps for me" :rofl_2:

Roger will be on hand helping

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
^^^^ Again you guys don't get me or Alison...what we are saying is, go on, enjoy your success but at the appropriate moment...now don't tell me that Fed realised that 15 was stitched on his jacket only when Sue pointed out to it...he of course knew it before that....again I'm saying this...moments after winning the match was not the right time to wear it.

falcon we are not idiots here  :)): I saw your point (less the one of Alison because her intention has always been the same from the start, i.e. tarnish FED's career and results and wind up FED's fans):
Once again, I agree with you: He made a mistake, he lack of class in this occasion!

My GOD it happens. FED is a human being and not Jesus  :rofl_2: ..He bounds to make mistakes, right!

Still, all in all, given his over exposure to media in the last, what 6 years (starting from Wimbledon '03) and in particular to the UK press, the man has behave quite well avoiding to create a lot of problems..If not how on heart do you explain that the other player did choose him so often as being the best "fair" player? ..

We are not obliged be a fan of the same player BUT come out after each major win by FED by pointing out something against him (as Alison did in the last 5 years), this is just PATHETIC. :( :(

Tarnish Feds career me  :innocent: How about you and your need to tarnish Petes career, slating his opponents, forgot about that have ya

I don't like Roger and I find him arrogant and smug and soo full of himself and I don't care if you don't like it, you are waaaaayyyy toooooo SENSITIVE Take your head from inside Feds ass and get real

:rofl_2:

Says the same person who was upset enough over the jacket to cluck around like a mother hen and start this thread.  Hypocrisy 101 is in session kiddo's.

Emma

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »

What a waste.

It has to be worth at least a few meetings, and maybe a few lunches brought in too, if they get stuck on a few points.

Just two????  :rofl_2:
These guys have to have a meeting to plan a meeting to discuss going the bathroom!

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline LEGION

• Tennis God
  • naja nivea
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2009, 05:57:07 PM »
Personally I was hoping he would get 15 tattooed on his forehead; that would be too cool. He could also sleeve his arms out with all the different trophies he has.

Emma

Offline barbadosan

• Tennis God
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2009, 06:44:54 PM »
Wow! Three days later and a little couple of inches logo that you'd probably have to be standing within 3 feet of to see is still causing so much delirium. Makes me think of the old doggerel:

All the world is mad except thee and me
       And lately I've begun to wonder about thee
    :confused1: but might as well :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

Says the same person who was upset enough over the jacket to cluck around like a mother hen and start this thread.  Hypocrisy 101 is in session kiddo's.

Where in gods name did I say I was upset  :rofl_2:  I laugh out loud at Roger and Nike  :rofl_2:  :rofl_2:

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2009, 07:12:35 PM »

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »

to cluck around like a mother hen

Offline sarju04

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
Hey do you guys know why only at Wimbledon Federer does the fashion thingy. Why not at any other Grand Slams? Good thing that he won, if he had lost, it would be embarrassing to wear all those tacky get ups. Personally I dont understand whats the need to do that. I understand the 15 labeled jacket as long it looks decent. But why those feminine racket bags and superhero jackets. I am a federer fan but when he does things like that he looks like a tool.

A lot of you are talking about his 15 GS jacket but I think its totally legit. He owns it. He has the right to have that much ego with what he has achieved so far. Sports thrive on EGO to create the sense of competition and excitement and suspense. I like it when players show immense emotion and thats what sports call for. On the other hand, Roger is a very humble guy but when there is complements and admiration everywhere, he needs to learn to accept it like a champ.