Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 23095 times)

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
One more thing and I'm through with the "jacket" thing.  Some people are saying Roger should have told Nike "NO, I don't want the jacket because I don't want to hurt Roddick".   They are saying that he should have refused.  But these players do have contracts with their sponsors and when your sponsor goes through all the trouble of 'surprising' you with a jacket in honor of something you've done that no one else in the history has done, then heck yea, I'd put it on too.

And on that subject, Roddick is under contract with Rolex.  Him being heartbroken didn't hurt to bad for him to not remember to put on his watch after the match either:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
Oh, so that small #15 on Roger's jacket during the ceremony is making all the other countries not even try to play tennis now?  Wow...so the people the people in the world really look to the NBA, NFL, MLB and others to immulate?  YOu know...the players who were arrested for killing dogs, for murdering people, for smoking dope, for sleeping around on their wives...you know...those "good guys" in the other sports?  But Roger's CLOTHING is just so bad for tennis that it's going to keep people from playing? :whistle:

Maybe they should play naked.  Although that would serious diminish my interest in the ATP...

By the way:

Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »
Roddick's a big boy, he don't give 2 sh!ts, he just lost a winning chance at Wimby, why would he care about a #15 on Fed's jacket?   ..-)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2009, 06:31:03 PM »
He doesn't, but that won't stop people from trying to pretend it made Roddick wanna get a ninja's sword and cut off Roger's head.

I just like this thread because every time I see the picture above I laugh my ass off.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Oh, so that small #15 on Roger's jacket during the ceremony is making all the other countries not even try to play tennis now?  Wow...so the people the people in the world really look to the NBA, NFL, MLB and others to immulate?  YOu know...the players who were arrested for killing dogs, for murdering people, for smoking dope, for sleeping around on their wives...you know...those "good guys" in the other sports?  But Roger's CLOTHING is just so bad for tennis that it's going to keep people from playing? :whistle:

You still don't understand it Dallas...people from poor countries don't like to see GOLD trimmed shoes, Gold trimmed jackets, all dandily dressed up, 800$ haircuts...basketball for instance is considered a street sport whereas tennis is finding it hard to shed its country club image. Of course he's good for the sport because he's clean, he has one wife and stuff...alright i give him credit for it...but please avoid showing off your dandy side.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2009, 08:13:45 PM »

You still don't understand it Dallas...people from poor countries don't like to see GOLD trimmed shoes, Gold trimmed jackets, all dandily dressed up, 800$ haircuts...basketball for instance is considered a street sport whereas tennis is finding it hard to shed its country club image. Of course he's good for the sport because he's clean, he has one wife and stuff...alright i give him credit for it...but please avoid showing off your dandy side.

So peoploe from poor countries can stop watching then.  Wimbledon isn't played for just poor countries is it?  What about the rest of us who LIKED the gold trim and everything!  It's harsh to say, but Nike isn't catering to the "poor countries".  They won't be buying NIKE's stuff anyway.  But the majority of the people who can afford the things Roger wore, from what I've read, can afford to buy them.  That's who Nike was gearing their marketing to.  Not the poor countries.  I see nothing wrong with that.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »

So peoploe from poor countries can stop watching then.  Wimbledon isn't played for just poor countries is it?  What about the rest of us who LIKED the gold trim and everything!  It's harsh to say, but Nike isn't catering to the "poor countries".  They won't be buying NIKE's stuff anyway.  But the majority of the people who can afford the things Roger wore, from what I've read, can afford to buy them.  That's who Nike was gearing their marketing to.  Not the poor countries.  I see nothing wrong with that.

I get it now....nothing I'm going to say is make you dispose off your blind love for him....do you want tennis to grow or not? Do you want only players from Europe and America to keep playing the sport? Then so be it.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:05 PM »
falcon, from what I saw and read about the growth of tennis - tennis IS growing, but the non-growth of tennis is NOT going to be because of what Roger wore for 2 weeks in Wimbledon.  If you really think that - then yes, we are never going to agree.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:17:36 PM by Dallas »

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
falcon, from what I saw and read about the growth of tennis - tennis IS growing, but the non-growth of tennis is NOT going to be because of what Roger wore for 2 weeks in Wimbledon.  If you really think that - then yes, we are never going to agree.

Obviously NOT because of him...but by doing these things, he is contributing.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »

And you actually think what he wears cancel out HIS TENNIS? :confused1:

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

You have to be kidding with this.... Federer is driving fans away????  :rofl_2:
Federer has brought hundreds of thousands of new fans to tennis, as has Nadal.
He wears a jacket with a number on it, not for 2 weeks, but 1 DAY, part of 1 day, probably less than an hour of 1 day, and you've got him killing the sport as we know it.
Think about what you are saying.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2009, 08:41:47 PM »

He wears a jacket with a number on it, not for 2 weeks, but 1 DAY, part of 1 day, probably less than an hour of 1 day, and you've got him killing the sport as we know it.

I'm sorry but when did I say that he's driving away fans or killing the sport? You must be reading another article.

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:46 PM »

Too many bitter fans in here after the GOAT(Federer) made history in Paris and in London in just a few weeks.  If 15 slams wasn’t the number to break Pete’s record, then the GOAT wouldn’t be wearing that jacket on that Sunday.  It doesn’t matter if it was Roddick or someone else was in the final, it serve as a reminder on that day the GOAT has set a new world record.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »

Too many bitter fans in here after the GOAT(Federer) made history in Paris and in London in just a few weeks.  If 15 slams wasn’t the number to break Pete’s record, then the GOAT wouldn’t be wearing that jacket on that Sunday.  It doesn’t matter if it was Roddick or someone else was in the final, it serve as a reminder on that day the GOAT has set a new world record.

As are too many blind fans.

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #114 on: July 09, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »

Only bitterless can lead to blind fanatic!

The Goat took center stage in the past month, so the only bitter person is you, not the Federer fans.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »

The Goat took center stage in the past month, so the only bitter person is you, not the Federer fans.

Who is talking about bitter? And what on earth does your bold part mean?  :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

I'm sorry but when did I say that he's driving away fans or killing the sport? You must be reading another article.

You did say that he was contributing to the non-growth of tennis, in "poor countries" right?  I bet a lot of those players from those countries look at what Roger has accomplished in tennis and say "I want to be there!  I want to win those grand slams".  I bet they don't say... "I love tennis but he's wearing gold and white and getting $800 haircuts so I'm going to put my racket down and not play any longer".  See how that just doesn't compute!?  Roger is really 'boring' when you compare him to many of the superstars in sports.

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »

Who is talking about bitter? And what on earth does your bold part mean?  :rofl_2:

Base on all of your posts that I've read, that's sound bitter to me.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »

You did say that he was contributing to the non-growth of tennis, in "poor countries" right?  I bet a lot of those players from those countries look at what Roger has accomplished in tennis and say "I want to be there!  I want to win those grand slams".  I bet they don't say... "I love tennis but he's wearing gold and white and getting $800 haircuts so I'm going to put my racket down and not play any longer".  See how that just doesn't compute!?  Roger is really 'boring' when you compare him to many of the superstars in sports.
Right. Players image is very important especially when they do this ON court. He wears gold on court so obviously people are watching him. Now really i think everybody actually understood what I'm trying to say and a couple of fed fans have agreed with me and I'm happy i could get my point across.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2009, 09:03:33 PM »
OK.  I think we've said just about all we can about this 15 jacket.  Right?  Let's all move on.  (The instigator...uh... I mean creator of this thread... has moved on).  She starts these things, then leaves.   :rofl_2: