Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 21996 times)

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

If the GOAT win the USO this year, I hope he wears a jacket with the number 6 on the back.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
OK... maybe I misunderstood you too falcon.  Are you saying you have a problem with the 'gold' trim that Roger wore DURING his matches? :confused1:  Surely you jest on that if I'm understanding you correct?

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2009, 09:07:28 PM »

Too many bitter fans in here after the GOAT(Federer) made history in Paris and in London in just a few weeks.  If 15 slams wasn’t the number to break Pete’s record, then the GOAT wouldn’t be wearing that jacket on that Sunday.  It doesn’t matter if it was Roddick or someone else was in the final, it serve as a reminder on that day the GOAT has set a new world record.

As are too many blind fans.

Only bitterless can lead to blind fanatic!

The Goat took center stage in the past month, so the only bitter person is you, not the Federer fans.

Who is talking about bitter? And what on earth does your bold part mean?  :rofl_2:

Base on all of your posts that I've read, that's sound bitter to me.

Yes it is bitter....and I'm not the only one saying it...perhaps on this message board because everyone I see here seems to be a fed fan so they obviously will not agree with me...I already posted a link where media personnel think the way i do and I post another one here.

Why Roger Federer has become a preening poser in the emperor's new clothes

By Oliver Holt 8/07/2009

Read Oliver Holt's column every Wednesday on Mirror.co.uk
Roger Federer and Andy Roddick (Pic:Getty)

Andy Roddick wore a T-shirt and shorts when he walked out on Centre Court on Sunday. He looked like a tennis player.

The bloke walking next to him looked like an extra from Bruno.

Either that or Roger Federer had got dressed early for the Champions Ball.

It felt uncomfortable seeing him like that, seeing a great champion who has become so intoxicated with his own image that he is making himself a laughing stock. A man who was once the epitome of modesty and humility but is now tarnishing his genius with increasingly graceless arrogance.

Someone needs to tell the guy that not only is he making a fool of himself but he's losing admirers fast, 15 Grand Slam titles or not.

Someone needs to tell him that there was a reason the crowd was cheering for Roddick, and it wasn't because the American was the underdog. Someone needs to point out we're getting deep into The Emperor's New Clothes territory now.

When the six-time Wimbledon champion walked out for the men's final on Sunday in his ridiculous high-collared jacket and gold monogrammed shirt, it was hard not to laugh.

Federer looked every inch the preening, posing, head-tossing narcissist that Novak Djokovic captured so perfectly in his famous locker room impersonation of the Swiss.

Federer is said to have rebuked Djokovic for his impudence. You know why? Because Djokovic got him spot-on.

Federer is still the most graceful, brilliant, mesmerising tennis player the world has ever seen. I still consider it an immense privilege every time I get to see him play.

And yet the world No.1 is in danger of losing the qualities that have made him so popular: his humility and his graciousness.

Part of the problem is that the poor guy has been Nikefied. And I mean totally and utterly Nikefied. So Nikefied that he has lost his judgment.

I mean, how on earth did he allow himself to be persuaded to rush to put on that tracksuit top with the No.15 etched on his back a couple of minutes after he had outlasted Roddick on Sunday? What a pathetic, smartass, gloating, selfregarding stunt that was.

Advertisement - article continues below »

But why would someone demean himself and his opponent by doing something so crassly vain and self-regarding?

I wonder if Federer gave a thought to how Roddick might feel when he saw that tracksuit top and that 15 on Federer's back.

I suspect Roddick felt a sharp sting of irritation when he saw that. I bet he felt patronised and belittled.

Because by wearing it, Federer was making it obvious it had been made for him before the match. It had been made in the assumption of victory. It had turned a proud moment into a marketing moment. It was cheap, cheap. It lacked class.

Nor, in his acceptance speech, was there any real recognition of how desperately close Roddick had come to winning the final. There was no hint that Roddick had outplayed him - which he did - or that the American had pushed him to his very limit.

Instead, Federer chose to draw attention to the fact that he had had a tough loss against Rafael Nadal last year.

Even Roddick felt moved to speak up then. "Yeah," he shouted out, "but you had won it five times by then."

It was, a former Wimbledon star told me yesterday, "the most graceless acceptance speech I have ever heard".

Sadly, it fits a pattern. As cracks have appeared in Federer's invincibility, he has found it harder and harder to give credit to those who have beaten him.

He seems to find it particularly difficult with Andy Murray. When Murray beat him at the Masters Cup in Shanghai last November, Federer was ready with a raft of excuses.

He trotted them out again before Wimbledon. "I was ill and suffering with my back and I still almost beat him," Federer said. How gallant.

A couple of years ago, I would have considered it sacrilege to criticise Federer. Not any more.

He's the best there's ever been but if he doesn't want to be remembered as a genius who became bloated with self-importance and pomposity, he needs to get a grip.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

If the GOAT win the USO this year, I hope he wears a jacket with the number 6 on the back.

He never dares to wear that to the USO, I know what the media will eb saying...I hope for his sake that he doesn't.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2009, 09:09:20 PM »
OK... maybe I misunderstood you too falcon.  Are you saying you have a problem with the 'gold' trim that Roger wore DURING his matches? :confused1:  Surely you jest on that if I'm understanding you correct?

well that too. Its ok dallas...lets move on...Alison has atleast  :rofl_2:

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2009, 09:18:28 PM »
From what I have been reading, this Oliver Holt is a prick (at least that's what a lot of folks are saying about him).  I've never heard of him but the folks over in Britian said he's a die-heard Murray fan and doesn't like Roger in the first place, so, hence - that article.  I understand he's getting a lot of back-lash from that article too so just because he wrote it doesn't mean he's correct.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »
Its not about correct or incorrect...its a matter of opinion and I'm not the only one feeling this way...the other forums I visit also have shown their displeasure on this topic...its not that this topic is being debated only here. May be that Holt fellow is a fed hater...I don't know but I have come across several such articles(the sportsillustrated link I gave was another instance)...now all of them cannot be wrong...there's no smoke without fire...there must be some element of truth to it, else all of them are mere lunatics.

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
    • http://www.tips4tennis.com
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2009, 09:28:46 PM »

Andy Roddick wore a T-shirt and shorts when he walked out on Centre Court on Sunday. He looked like a tennis player.

Make a quick comparison of the cost of Federer's high fashion Nike shirt vs Roddick's Lacoste "T-Shirt" and get back to me.

Is a tree as a rocking horse
An ambition fulfilled
And is the sawdust jealous?
I worry about these things .

Kevin Godley & Lol Crème (I Pity Inanimate Objects)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2009, 09:31:22 PM »

Make a quick comparison of the cost of Federer's high fashion Nike shirt vs Roddick's Lacoste "T-Shirt" and get back to me.

Ask Oliver holt!!  :rofl_2: I don't know the cost of a Lacoste shirt...sorry...however I'm sure full pants and gold trimmed jackets cost more...Dunno...as I said ask the writer...i never said such things....its just an article I came across...may be he's wrong...but as I said...all of'em can't be wrong.

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
It just amazes me that with everything Roger accomplished with this win - breaking the slam record at 15; winning the French/Wimbledon back-to-back double; playing in his 16 of the last 17 grand slams, just to name a few... I guess it's fine that some sports writers and fans can only complain about his 'outfit'! :rofl_2:  IF that's the best they can find against Roger, I think tennis is in good hands.  (ask Major league baseball, football, basketball, swimming, track...ask any of those if they would like to trade with tennis as far as 'bad publicity' and they would take an 'outfit' in a heartbeat over what they have to encounter). ;-()

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2009, 09:36:11 PM »
Federer is the greatest human being...he does nothing wrong...I'm a  fool...I have no right commenting on a tennis player on a  tennis forum...Geez what were you thinking you knucklehead? talking about God/Goat? Shame on you!!!

Sorry guys...I know this is a temple, I'm not allowed to say certain things...it would be blasphemy...

Offline Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
Federer is the greatest human being...he does nothing wrong...I'm a  fool...I have no right commenting on a tennis player on a  tennis forum...Geez what were you thinking you knucklehead? talking about God/Goat? Shame on you!!!

Sorry guys...I know this is a temple, I'm not allowed to say certain things...it would be blasphemy...

You have a right to say what you want.  It creates 'discussion' which we have been doing.  I see nothing wrong with that.  You know when you make statements like Roger is hurting poor countries... you just KNOW that's a statement for discussion. Right?  So I think this has been a very civil discussion and very interesting.  So stop being all sarcastic!  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:  We discussed, didn't agree, and moved on.  So nothing is wrong with that. ;-()

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »

Ask Oliver holt!!  :rofl_2: I don't know the cost of a Lacoste shirt...sorry...however I'm sure full pants and gold trimmed jackets cost more...Dunno...as I said ask the writer...i never said such things....its just an article I came across...may be he's wrong...but as I said...all of'em can't be wrong.

From my experience Lacoste is the most expensive of all the more popular tennis clothing. I was in a store recently where some of Roddick's older outfits were on sale. Like last years designs. I checked the price, $60. On sale. Federer's stuff is regularly the most expensive of Nike's offerings, and brand new they are $55, or $60, but on sale you can snag them for $35 or $40.

Of course, if you can't win an debate, resort to 'poor me' sarcasm. Obviously you are saying them, and nobody is censoring you, or deleting, or editing your posts. There is no threat to your membership here, real or implied, because of your thinking.
Nobody is saying you have to like Federer. I just think you are wrong on this point. I don't particularly care for the whole special cap and clothes celebrating achievement trend that much. I'm pretty old school, I like people who let their racquets do the talking, like Sampras. But this is a new generation, and it's very different from mine. Athletes seem to need to do these kinds of things, and companies see it as a premier marketing tool. The two, athletic ego, and hyped up sports marketing, are made for each other. I think we have to live with it. From Federer's tribute crapwear, to Nadal's "Vamos Rafa" shoes (also from Nike). It's what today's sports are about.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »
Why are you people arguing with Falcon!!??

She is one of the biggest Fed haters on this board this side of Allison and Shankar.  Doesn't mean we don't respect her opinion and value her on the board, afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the beauty of sports is that you can dislike whomever you want for any reason. 

Anyways, you know that roger can never do right in her eyes.

SO LET'S MOVE ON!@! :cool:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:24:59 PM by TheLogo »
The Logo Knows!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2009, 11:37:36 PM »

She is one of the biggest Fed haters on this board this side of Allison and Shankar.  Doesn't mean we don't respect her opinion and value her on the board, afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the beauty of sports is that you can dislike whomever you want for any reason. 

Now with statements like that, you know exactly why i resort to sarcasm. I post objectively why I (and plenty others) feel the way we do...you don't like it, I become a hater...if I were a hater, i would start posting threads like "10 things i hate about Roger Federer" or " Calling all Fed haters" do i do that? hate is such a  strong word...what I HATE in life is people murdering others, people killing innocent animals, I HATE terrorists who butcher women and children, I HATE it when there is no peace and there's war around, I HATE to see hungry people,I HATE to see children orphaned, I HATE to see women raped, I HATE to see that people are discriminated on basis of their race....now you use the word HATE and throw it around so easily, i know what society you come from. Use your words carefully...and you say i hate roger federer.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: I couldn't be concerned about a fellow who has more than 40 million dollars in the bank, the same way I would be less concerened about a certain rafael nadal who has 20 million dollars in the bank... :rofl_2: I hate  :rofl_2:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2009, 11:41:31 PM »

From my experience Lacoste is the most expensive of all the more popular tennis clothing. I was in a store recently where some of Roddick's older outfits were on sale. Like last years designs. I checked the price, $60. On sale. Federer's stuff is regularly the most expensive of Nike's offerings, and brand new they are $55, or $60, but on sale you can snag them for $35 or $40.

Of course, if you can't win an debate, resort to 'poor me' sarcasm. Obviously you are saying them, and nobody is censoring you, or deleting, or editing your posts. There is no threat to your membership here, real or implied, because of your thinking.
Nobody is saying you have to like Federer. I just think you are wrong on this point. I don't particularly care for the whole special cap and clothes celebrating achievement trend that much. I'm pretty old school, I like people who let their racquets do the talking, like Sampras. But this is a new generation, and it's very different from mine. Athletes seem to need to do these kinds of things, and companies see it as a premier marketing tool. The two, athletic ego, and hyped up sports marketing, are made for each other. I think we have to live with it. From Federer's tribute crapwear, to Nadal's "Vamos Rafa" shoes (also from Nike). It's what today's sports are about.
I can win if people open their eyes and are not blinded by worship!! I am not old school or new school I see the things the way they are and if nadal had done it i would have pounded him even more because I know that I wouldn't be rebuked here because everyone knows that i am a nadal fan...

Offline dmastous

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: July 10, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »

I can win if people open their eyes and are not blinded by worship!! I am not old school or new school I see the things the way they are and if nadal had done it i would have pounded him even more because I know that I wouldn't be rebuked here because everyone knows that i am a nadal fan...

Why do you have to win? You don't like it that's cool. His fans do like it. Nobody wins, nobody looses.
As fro Nadal, he has been doing a similar thing for the past three years with his shoes as I've pointed out. It's not as obvious, but it's the same thing.
I think Nadal and Federer are very similar in this aspect. I think they are people who need to please. Someone asks them for something and if it's not too much trouble they do it. They are polite and kind to everyone. You can see that in the respect that tournament officials and volunteers have for them. When Nike asks them to wear something they do it because they want to make Nike happy. Plus there's a little cash bonus that comes as well. It's all good for them. But most of all they just try to accommodate as many as they can in their schedule. It's their nature.

An ambition fulfilled

Offline TheEternalCowboy

• Tennis God
« Reply #137 on: July 10, 2009, 12:39:58 AM »

Now with statements like that, you know exactly why i resort to sarcasm. I post objectively why I (and plenty others) feel the way we do...you don't like it, I become a hater...if I were a hater, i would start posting threads like "10 things i hate about Roger Federer" or " Calling all Fed haters" do i do that? hate is such a  strong word...what I HATE in life is people murdering others, people killing innocent animals, I HATE terrorists who butcher women and children, I HATE it when there is no peace and there's war around, I HATE to see hungry people,I HATE to see children orphaned, I HATE to see women raped, I HATE to see that people are discriminated on basis of their race....now you use the word HATE and throw it around so easily, i know what society you come from. Use your words carefully...and you say i hate roger federer.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: I couldn't be concerned about a fellow who has more than 40 million dollars in the bank, the same way I would be less concerened about a certain rafael nadal who has 20 million dollars in the bank... :rofl_2: I hate  :rofl_2:

Hater has a different connotation in America outside of "a person who hates".  It's more urban slang around here, expressing general negativity towards a subject.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater

Yeah, modern English is a funny thing. 

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »

Why do you have to win? You don't like it that's cool. His fans do like it. Nobody wins, nobody looses.
As fro Nadal, he has been doing a similar thing for the past three years with his shoes as I've pointed out. It's not as obvious, but it's the same thing.
I think Nadal and Federer are very similar in this aspect. I think they are people who need to please. Someone asks them for something and if it's not too much trouble they do it. They are polite and kind to everyone. You can see that in the respect that tournament officials and volunteers have for them. When Nike asks them to wear something they do it because they want to make Nike happy. Plus there's a little cash bonus that comes as well. It's all good for them. But most of all they just try to accommodate as many as they can in their schedule. It's their nature.
because you have talked about winning or losing...I ...I don't want to even think about winning or losing...this is not about that...its about my opinion and I've stated it...I see federer as a golden boy and I don't see rafa that way.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »

Hater has a different connotation in America outside of "a person who hates".  It's more urban slang around here, expressing general negativity towards a subject.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater

Yeah, modern English is a funny thing. 

English is not my first language but I know what 'hate' means in its oxford or cambridge dictionary meaning and I took it that way...may be I'm wrong but it will teach people not to throw around such strong words so easily.