Author Topic: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket  (Read 23550 times)

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
Re: Roger and his 15 GS Jacket
« Reply #140 on: July 10, 2009, 02:16:02 AM »

I can win if people open their eyes and are not blinded by worship!! I am not old school or new school I see the things the way they are and if nadal had done it i would have pounded him even more because I know that I wouldn't be rebuked here because everyone knows that i am a nadal fan...

Why do you have to win? You don't like it that's cool. His fans do like it. Nobody wins, nobody looses.

As fro Nadal, he has been doing a similar thing for the past three years with his shoes as I've pointed out. It's not as obvious, but it's the same thing.
I think Nadal and Federer are very similar in this aspect. I think they are people who need to please. Someone asks them for something and if it's not too much trouble they do it. They are polite and kind to everyone. You can see that in the respect that tournament officials and volunteers have for them. When Nike asks them to wear something they do it because they want to make Nike happy. Plus there's a little cash bonus that comes as well. It's all good for them. But most of all they just try to accommodate as many as they can in their schedule. It's their nature.

Falcon, you did post some very strange stuff, I should say, in this thread: It seems to me that you are going in all sort of directions only to try to tarnish FED's achievements and this is quite pathetic I should say..

On that I have two remarks:

1) I mean come on this idea that the "too gold" reference in FED's outfit will imply him becoming less popular in poor countries is really strange...Can you back this idea with some sort of stats that are telling us that? As far as I know Tennis has become lately, i.e. in the last 8-6 years very popular in China and some other countries: Tennis becoming popular has more to do with people becoming wealthy in general.

Tennis has always been (and will always be IMO) a quite elitist sport and this because, with few exceptions (mainly France and Spain), becoming a member of a club is a quite expensive task and because other major sports (mainly football, i.e. soccer in the US) are far more "easy " even when you do not have a cent -you can play football and try to do play as "Ronaldo" even with a ball made of clothes..I doubt you can do the same when Tennis is concern and you are trying to mimic FED (and or Rafa)-...

2) I really do not understand your final purpose: You are here trying to convince everyone that you are right, that FED did behave wrongly during the Wimbledon's final ceremony.

I told you that FED is a human being and he can make a mistake (he did in the past he will do in the future) ..

IMO, he did one of his few mistakes by having his famous 15 jacket..

But then so what? Do you believe that AROD give a S### about that? Do you believe that the other professional players saw that as a provocation?

I really believe that the vast majority of them, as the vast majority of the Tennis fans, saw that as it is: A way to celebrate a milestone a major achievement..I mean them like us, Tennis fans, we were interested to the final as such, to the Tennis debate which takes place for more than 4 H..The rest is minor, it is a questions of details. This mistake do not change the main outcome: The man did a great job and the final outcome is now in Tennis history book...Be happy for that: You had the opportunity to see this life as we had the opportunity to see and follow the fantastic run of Rafa last year IMO...

But I guess you will be unable to do that given that you dislike so much this guy: But this is your problem not ours: On that side you are the person who is blind.
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »

Too many bitter fans in here after the GOAT(Federer) made history in Paris and in London in just a few weeks.  If 15 slams wasn’t the number to break Pete’s record, then the GOAT wouldn’t be wearing that jacket on that Sunday.  It doesn’t matter if it was Roddick or someone else was in the final, it serve as a reminder on that day the GOAT has set a new world record.

As are too many blind fans.

Only bitterless can lead to blind fanatic!

The Goat took center stage in the past month, so the only bitter person is you, not the Federer fans.

Who is talking about bitter? And what on earth does your bold part mean?  :rofl_2:

Base on all of your posts that I've read, that's sound bitter to me.

Yes it is bitter....and I'm not the only one saying it...perhaps on this message board because everyone I see here seems to be a fed fan so they obviously will not agree with me...I already posted a link where media personnel think the way i do and I post another one here.

Why Roger Federer has become a preening poser in the emperor's new clothes

By Oliver Holt 8/07/2009

Read Oliver Holt's column every Wednesday on Mirror.co.uk
Roger Federer and Andy Roddick (Pic:Getty)

Andy Roddick wore a T-shirt and shorts when he walked out on Centre Court on Sunday. He looked like a tennis player.

The bloke walking next to him looked like an extra from Bruno.

Either that or Roger Federer had got dressed early for the Champions Ball.

It felt uncomfortable seeing him like that, seeing a great champion who has become so intoxicated with his own image that he is making himself a laughing stock. A man who was once the epitome of modesty and humility but is now tarnishing his genius with increasingly graceless arrogance.

Someone needs to tell the guy that not only is he making a fool of himself but he's losing admirers fast, 15 Grand Slam titles or not.

Someone needs to tell him that there was a reason the crowd was cheering for Roddick, and it wasn't because the American was the underdog. Someone needs to point out we're getting deep into The Emperor's New Clothes territory now.

When the six-time Wimbledon champion walked out for the men's final on Sunday in his ridiculous high-collared jacket and gold monogrammed shirt, it was hard not to laugh.

Federer looked every inch the preening, posing, head-tossing narcissist that Novak Djokovic captured so perfectly in his famous locker room impersonation of the Swiss.

Federer is said to have rebuked Djokovic for his impudence. You know why? Because Djokovic got him spot-on.

Federer is still the most graceful, brilliant, mesmerising tennis player the world has ever seen. I still consider it an immense privilege every time I get to see him play.

And yet the world No.1 is in danger of losing the qualities that have made him so popular: his humility and his graciousness.

Part of the problem is that the poor guy has been Nikefied. And I mean totally and utterly Nikefied. So Nikefied that he has lost his judgment.

I mean, how on earth did he allow himself to be persuaded to rush to put on that tracksuit top with the No.15 etched on his back a couple of minutes after he had outlasted Roddick on Sunday? What a pathetic, smartass, gloating, selfregarding stunt that was.

Advertisement - article continues below »

But why would someone demean himself and his opponent by doing something so crassly vain and self-regarding?

I wonder if Federer gave a thought to how Roddick might feel when he saw that tracksuit top and that 15 on Federer's back.

I suspect Roddick felt a sharp sting of irritation when he saw that. I bet he felt patronised and belittled.

Because by wearing it, Federer was making it obvious it had been made for him before the match. It had been made in the assumption of victory. It had turned a proud moment into a marketing moment. It was cheap, cheap. It lacked class.

Nor, in his acceptance speech, was there any real recognition of how desperately close Roddick had come to winning the final. There was no hint that Roddick had outplayed him - which he did - or that the American had pushed him to his very limit.

Instead, Federer chose to draw attention to the fact that he had had a tough loss against Rafael Nadal last year.

Even Roddick felt moved to speak up then. "Yeah," he shouted out, "but you had won it five times by then."

It was, a former Wimbledon star told me yesterday, "the most graceless acceptance speech I have ever heard".

Sadly, it fits a pattern. As cracks have appeared in Federer's invincibility, he has found it harder and harder to give credit to those who have beaten him.

He seems to find it particularly difficult with Andy Murray. When Murray beat him at the Masters Cup in Shanghai last November, Federer was ready with a raft of excuses.

He trotted them out again before Wimbledon. "I was ill and suffering with my back and I still almost beat him," Federer said. How gallant.

A couple of years ago, I would have considered it sacrilege to criticise Federer. Not any more.

He's the best there's ever been but if he doesn't want to be remembered as a genius who became bloated with self-importance and pomposity, he needs to get a grip.

Oliver  :thumbs-up:
I never thought he would win 4 French Opens - Roger Federer on Rafa

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2009, 02:23:21 AM »
From what I have been reading, this Oliver Holt is a prick (at least that's what a lot of folks are saying about him).  I've never heard of him but the folks over in Britian said he's a die-heard Murray fan and doesn't like Roger in the first place, so, hence - that article.  I understand he's getting a lot of back-lash from that article too so just because he wrote it doesn't mean he's correct.

here we go, he's not a die-hard Murray fan at all, hes actually a die-hard Roger Federer fan, I have lost count of the times Oliver has praised your dear little Roger over the years, but then again you have never heard of him.  I understand he's getting a lot of backlash also, mostly from Roger Federer fans, he's also getting a lot of positive feedback, but you wouldn't know that would ya  :)

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2009, 02:51:54 AM »
From what I have been reading, this Oliver Holt is a prick (at least that's what a lot of folks are saying about him).  I've never heard of him but the folks over in Britian said he's a die-heard Murray fan and doesn't like Roger in the first place, so, hence - that article.  I understand he's getting a lot of back-lash from that article too so just because he wrote it doesn't mean he's correct.

here we go, he's not a die-hard Murray fan at all, hes actually a die-hard Roger Federer fan, I have lost count of the times Oliver has praised your dear little Roger over the years, but then again you have never heard of him.  I understand he's getting a lot of backlash also, mostly from Roger Federer fans, he's also getting a lot of positive feedback, but you wouldn't know that would ya  :)

And clearly during all those years he was not a reference right  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:..now he quickly becomes one..How weird and strange..Right! Now he is writing something that goes in your direction so... :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

BTW: His article wants to generate a debate and as such why not: It is spot on..

He felt that FED is doing too much in terms of image and accepting Nike's constraints: why not Teling to everyone!...

But a very STUPID sentence is the following one (there are others as well):

It was, a former Wimbledon star told me yesterday, "the most graceless acceptance speech I have ever heard".

Why referring to someone other instead of saying: I found his speak idiotic and very stupid..These guys they do half of their job: Either you go for it and you criticised everything and you have the balls to do that, or you just shut up!! This third person reference, that in any case no one can verified is plain STUPID.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:10:09 AM by TennisVeritas »
"The more you lose, the more they believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me" Roger Federer.

We can be knowledgeable with other men's knowledge, we can only be wise with our own wisdom

Offline Alison2006

• Tennis God
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2009, 03:12:19 AM »
From what I have been reading, this Oliver Holt is a prick (at least that's what a lot of folks are saying about him).  I've never heard of him but the folks over in Britian said he's a die-heard Murray fan and doesn't like Roger in the first place, so, hence - that article.  I understand he's getting a lot of back-lash from that article too so just because he wrote it doesn't mean he's correct.

here we go, he's not a die-hard Murray fan at all, hes actually a die-hard Roger Federer fan, I have lost count of the times Oliver has praised your dear little Roger over the years, but then again you have never heard of him.  I understand he's getting a lot of backlash also, mostly from Roger Federer fans, he's also getting a lot of positive feedback, but you wouldn't know that would ya  :)

And clearly during all those years he was not a reference right  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:..now he quickly becomes one..How weird and strange..Right now he is writing something that goes in your direction so... :rofl_2: :rofl_2:BTW: his article wants to generate a debate and as such why not..He felt that FED is doing too much in terms of image and accepting nNike's constraint: why not...But a very SRUPID sentence is the following one:

Why referring to someone other instead of saying: I found his speak idiotic and very stupid..These guys they do half of their job: Either you go for it and you criticised everything and you have the balls to do that, or you just shut up!! This third person reference, that in any case no one can verified is plain STUPID.

geeezzzzzzz, I read 4 British Papers this one and 3 others, I read the sports pages and he writes in this one, 1) I didn't bring the article up, falcon did
2) I agree with Oliver Holt on this article (I can you know  ;-() it ain't breaking any rules
3) Nothing weird or strange about it
4)like I said I have been reading his articles for years, some I agree on some I DON'T
5)Not all his articles are based on Roger or Tennis for that matter

Anyways work to do have a nice day Veritas  :)) Perhaps Veritas if you have a problem with the former Wimbledon Star, take it up with Mr Holt  ..-)

Offline TennisVeritas

• Tennis God
« Reply #145 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:16 AM »

And clearly during all those years he was not a reference right  :rofl_2: :rofl_2:..now he quickly becomes one..How weird and strange..Right! Now he is writing something that goes in your direction so... :rofl_2: :rofl_2:

BTW: His article wants to generate a debate and as such why not: It is spot on....He felt that FED is doing too much in terms of image and accepting Nike's constraints: Why not...But a very STUPID sentence is the following one:

geeezzzzzzz, I read 4 British Papers this one and 3 others, I read the sports pages and he writes in this one, 1) I didn't bring the article up, falcon did
2) I agree with Oliver Holt on this article (I can you know  ;-() it ain't breaking any rules
3) Nothing weird or strange about it
4)like I said I have been reading his articles for years, some I agree on some I DON'T
5)Not all his articles are based on Roger or Tennis for that matter

Anyways work to do have a nice day Veritas  :)) Perhaps Veritas if you have a problem with the former Wimbledon Star, take it up with Mr Holt  ..-)

As usual you get might point only in a biased way  :( :(

The sentence is stupid for two reasons: 1) The reference to someone other shows and proved that the guy does not have the "balls", i.e. in that case he would have written something like: " I did have the feeling his speech was just arrogant" or something like that..

2) There is no such stuff as an "acceptance speech" in Wimbledon: There is a post match interview just after the match!! And there where is all the bad sentences there!! During this interview his answers were OK IMO...Her teh link and I do not see anything strange:

So, all in all, his article was poor for already these two reasons.

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #146 on: July 10, 2009, 06:52:54 AM »
 :rofl_2: So Federer wearing clothes with a gold trim is a contributory factor for tennis not growing in poorer countries? That's brilliant, you've made my day. If that's true then Nadal's sleeveless muscle-vests must have been putting ectomorph's off tennis for years, he's stopped one third of the population from enjoyong watching tennis  :rofl_2:

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2009, 07:20:16 AM »
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline mav140

• Tennis God
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2009, 07:49:35 AM »
What I find amusing is that this topic has gone to 8 pages.. I think this is the most important fact on this subject :)>>>>

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »

I don't understand why this picture is so funny or telling for you Scott?  Could you please explain.  I saw when it was originally posted but didn't fully understand the point. 

Offline TheLogo

• Tennis God
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
Why are you people arguing with Falcon!!??

She is one of the biggest Fed haters on this board this side of Allison and Shankar.  Doesn't mean we don't respect her opinion and value her on the board, afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the beauty of sports is that you can dislike whomever you want for any reason. 

Anyways, you know that roger can never do right in her eyes.

SO LET'S MOVE ON!@! :cool:

Now with statements like that, you know exactly why i resort to sarcasm. I post objectively why I (and plenty others) feel the way we do...you don't like it, I become a hater...if I were a hater, i would start posting threads like "10 things i hate about Roger Federer" or " Calling all Fed haters" do i do that? hate is such a  strong word...what I HATE in life is people murdering others, people killing innocent animals, I HATE terrorists who butcher women and children, I HATE it when there is no peace and there's war around, I HATE to see hungry people,I HATE to see children orphaned, I HATE to see women raped, I HATE to see that people are discriminated on basis of their race....now you use the word HATE and throw it around so easily, i know what society you come from. Use your words carefully...and you say i hate roger federer.. :rofl_2: :rofl_2: I couldn't be concerned about a fellow who has more than 40 million dollars in the bank, the same way I would be less concerened about a certain rafael nadal who has 20 million dollars in the bank... :rofl_2: I hate  :rofl_2:

Hater has a different connotation in America outside of "a person who hates".  It's more urban slang around here, expressing general negativity towards a subject.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hater

Yeah, modern English is a funny thing. 

English is not my first language but I know what 'hate' means in its oxford or cambridge dictionary meaning and I took it that way...may be I'm wrong but it will teach people not to throw around such strong words so easily.

Well consider it a language lesson then cuz you are most definitely a 'hater'.   :)>>>>

And I love the hypocrisy in everything you have said in this thread and then you are the one to 'teach a lesson' to not throw around such strong words.

I guess, destroying tennis is not a strong opinion.   :))

The Logo Knows!!!

Offline kickserve

• Tennis God
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »

I don't understand why this picture is so funny or telling for you Scott?  Could you please explain.  I saw when it was originally posted but didn't fully understand the point. 

People are pissed at Federer having '15' on his jacket representing 15 slams. These guys have won something and are wearing T-shirts and caps with champions written all over it and nobody says anything.

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »

She is one of the biggest Fed haters on this board this side of Allison and Shankar.  Doesn't mean we don't respect her opinion and value her on the board, afterall everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the beauty of sports is that you can dislike whomever you want for any reason. 

Even if the Goat is signing autograph for kids for hours, falcon will still find way to belittle him.

At first, I don't think she believes what she's saying, but just want to get a reaction from the Fed fans.  However, I'm beginning to think she's actually taking it seriously with all of her nonsense. 

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

Roger + career slam = falcon upset

Roger + 15 slams record = falcon bitter

Roger + 15 slams jacket = falcon hate goat(Roger)

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2009, 10:56:43 AM »

Even if the Goat is signing autograph for kids for hours, falcon will still find way to belittle him.

At first, I don't think she believes what she's saying, but just want to get a reaction from the Fed fans.  However, I'm beginning to think she's actually taking it seriously with all of her nonsense. 

Look at him with that huge ego.................he has to sign all those autographs to stroke his large ego!   :rofl_2:

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »

I don't understand why this picture is so funny or telling for you Scott?  Could you please explain.  I saw when it was originally posted but didn't fully understand the point.  

People are pissed at Federer having '15' on his jacket representing 15 slams. These guys have won something and are wearing T-shirts and caps with champions written all over it and nobody says anything.

That is what I gathered from it but was curious what exactly Scott thought about it and why he has re-posted it like 5 times?    Plus, just because B-Ball does that kind of thing doesn't mean we want to see our tennis going there!  And, just to note that this is a locker room celebration after the deciding game. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:59:53 AM by OSU Buckeye »

Offline Bazcovic

• Tennis God
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
What the heck. You are talking about an 30px by 30px number here, attached to a little label on the back of his sweater/vest
Such a minor meaningless detail  :ZZZZZ).

Maybe even Roddick had something minor arranged aswell, in case he would've won... like a cap or a vest or whatever.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »

I can win if people open their eyes and are not blinded by worship!! I am not old school or new school I see the things the way they are and if nadal had done it i would have pounded him even more because I know that I wouldn't be rebuked here because everyone knows that i am a nadal fan...

Why do you have to win? You don't like it that's cool. His fans do like it. Nobody wins, nobody looses.

As fro Nadal, he has been doing a similar thing for the past three years with his shoes as I've pointed out. It's not as obvious, but it's the same thing.
I think Nadal and Federer are very similar in this aspect. I think they are people who need to please. Someone asks them for something and if it's not too much trouble they do it. They are polite and kind to everyone. You can see that in the respect that tournament officials and volunteers have for them. When Nike asks them to wear something they do it because they want to make Nike happy. Plus there's a little cash bonus that comes as well. It's all good for them. But most of all they just try to accommodate as many as they can in their schedule. It's their nature.

Falcon, you did post some very strange stuff, I should say, in this thread: It seems to me that you are going in all sort of directions only to try to tarnish FED's achievements and this is quite pathetic I should say..

On that I have two remarks:

1) I mean come on this idea that the "too gold" reference in FED's outfit will imply him becoming less popular in poor countries is really strange...Can you back this idea with some sort of stats that are telling us that? As far as I know Tennis has become lately, i.e. in the last 8-6 years very popular in China and some other countries: Tennis becoming popular has more to do with people becoming wealthy in general.

Tennis has always been (and will always be IMO) a quite elitist sport and this because, with few exceptions (mainly France and Spain), becoming a member of a club is a quite expensive task and because other major sports (mainly football, i.e. soccer in the US) are far more "easy " even when you do not have a cent -you can play football and try to do play as "Ronaldo" even with a ball made of clothes..I doubt you can do the same when Tennis is concern and you are trying to mimic FED (and or Rafa)-...

2) I really do not understand your final purpose: You are here trying to convince everyone that you are right, that FED did behave wrongly during the Wimbledon's final ceremony.

I told you that FED is a human being and he can make a mistake (he did in the past he will do in the future) ..

IMO, he did one of his few mistakes by having his famous 15 jacket..

But then so what? Do you believe that AROD give a S### about that? Do you believe that the other professional players saw that as a provocation?

I really believe that the vast majority of them, as the vast majority of the Tennis fans, saw that as it is: A way to celebrate a milestone a major achievement..I mean them like us, Tennis fans, we were interested to the final as such, to the Tennis debate which takes place for more than 4 H..The rest is minor, it is a questions of details. This mistake do not change the main outcome: The man did a great job and the final outcome is now in Tennis history book...Be happy for that: You had the opportunity to see this life as we had the opportunity to see and follow the fantastic run of Rafa last year IMO...

But I guess you will be unable to do that given that you dislike so much this guy: But this is your problem not ours: On that side you are the person who is blind.

Michael Johnson was wearing gold shoes in the 1996 olympics.

And what about Sampras? Did he feel bad about the #15? Or do we need another thread to investigate 15-gate.  lol

Offline OSU Buckeye

• The Great One!
  • Tennis God
  • LETS GO BUCKS!!!
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2009, 12:55:21 PM »
Johnson was a hack, Sampras was horrible, and Fed is the worst of all of them!   :rofl_2:

I think we need to start a thread on the seemingly new trend of sarcasm.  I can't keep track of who actually doesn't like Fed and who is just sarcasticly ripping him.  Who actually liked Pete and who is just being a wise-arse!   :rofl_2:

Online Dallas

• Global Moderator
  • Tennis God
  • Federer-Wawrinka-Serena-Venus-Victoria
    • http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/01/monday_net_post.html#comment-27147061
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2009, 12:58:18 PM »

Roger + career slam = falcon upset

Roger + 15 slams record = falcon bitter

Roger + 15 slams jacket = falcon hate goat(Roger) PRICELESS!

One minor correction! :rofl_2: :rofl_2: :rofl_2: