Author Topic: WTA - US Open August 31 - September 13  (Read 33410 times)

Offline Avatar

• Tennis God
Re: WTA - US Open August 31 - September 13
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2009, 02:16:54 AM »
tomorrow night they have zvonereva against pennetta as the night match?? is this supposed to be a joke?  :confused1: :confused1:

and  ..-) @ safina

Coverage on CBS. Venus and Serena and Rafa have to play during the day since TTC will air the night matches. Why else do you think Andy and Sharapova got day matches?

so your saying that the us open will tailor their schedual just to please CBS?  :hell-no: i just find that so hard to believe

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2009, 06:56:31 AM »
tomorrow night they have zvonereva against pennetta as the night match?? is this supposed to be a joke?  :confused1: :confused1:

and  ..-) @ safina

Coverage on CBS. Venus and Serena and Rafa have to play during the day since TTC will air the night matches. Why else do you think Andy and Sharapova got day matches?

so your saying that the us open will tailor their schedual just to please CBS?  :hell-no: i just find that so hard to believe

Why?  Television ratings=More money from the sponsors and that is so much more important in terms of the publicity for the event (the millions of viewers just in the U.S. who have CBS) than all of the people who go to Flushing and see the match live throughout the whole tournament.  CBS has major pull on what matches are scheduled when.  Why do  you think we will have had two straight nights of mediocre night matches (ok, Dent and Murray will probably be good)?

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #202 on: September 06, 2009, 07:08:52 AM »
This US Open has been fantastic so far! Olivier played a great match against Blake, Kirsten reached the third round at a slam for the second time in a row and Yanina and Kim are in the 4th round (a first for Yanina).

Go Belgium!  :thumbs-up:

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #203 on: September 06, 2009, 08:34:26 AM »
It was reported (I heard it from Navratilova from TC) that Safina and Kvitova were asked if they would switch to Armstrong due to the Roddick-Isner match being so long.  Well, apparently that was not the case.

Safina said she wasn't asked. She was told by tournament officials. "They came to us at 9:10 p.m. and just told us to switch to Armstrong," she said. "Basically, that's it. It was very unfair. The best player in the world to put on Armstrong. Their answer was that they prefer a five-set match to a three-set woman match."

"That's it, they don't want to listen, just move to Armstrong," Safina said. "I keep asking why we're playing on Armstrong at 10. They tell us just play, go on, go on 10 on Armstrong."

"I'm No. 1 player in the world," she said. "Why move me? American Blake because they want five sets instead of three. I always look forward to play night session on Arthur Ashe, it's best thing in the U.S. Open."

Feel bad for Safina as she shouldn't have been ordered to do this. :(

Offline retro

• Tennis God
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »

and  ..-) @ safina
I think it will be good match. Both players are evenly matched.
I lost the will to live mid way through the first set!
 ~*Supernova*~   from wtaworld.com

Victoria Azarenka d. Kaia Kanepi 7-6(5) 6-3
May 7, 2009

Offline garion

• Tennis God
  • Vamos!!!
« Reply #205 on: September 06, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
It was reported (I heard it from Navratilova from TC) that Safina and Kvitova were asked if they would switch to Armstrong due to the Roddick-Isner match being so long.  Well, apparently that was not the case.

Safina said she wasn't asked. She was told by tournament officials. "They came to us at 9:10 p.m. and just told us to switch to Armstrong," she said. "Basically, that's it. It was very unfair. The best player in the world to put on Armstrong. Their answer was that they prefer a five-set match to a three-set woman match."

"That's it, they don't want to listen, just move to Armstrong," Safina said. "I keep asking why we're playing on Armstrong at 10. They tell us just play, go on, go on 10 on Armstrong."

"I'm No. 1 player in the world," she said. "Why move me? American Blake because they want five sets instead of three. I always look forward to play night session on Arthur Ashe, it's best thing in the U.S. Open."

Feel bad for Safina as she shouldn't have been ordered to do this. :(

I agree. Blake's match should have been put on Armstrong.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't have helped Safina because mentally, she's really just gone away. I mean, 3, 3-setters. C'mon.

Offline BGT

• Tennis God
  • ALLEZ LES BLEUS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #206 on: September 06, 2009, 11:30:48 AM »

and  ..-) @ safina

Ummm... yes. :rofl_2: When NBC gets coverage for Wimbledon, they play it on tape delay so they can show their usual morning shows.

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »

and  ..-) @ safina

Ummm... yes. :rofl_2: When NBC gets coverage for Wimbledon, they play it on tape delay so they can show their usual morning shows.

BGT's right. They pretty much do it just for the network.
As for Wimbledon, I always say that they need to put some damn lights on the court and then the scheduling issues would be minimized. Sure wouldn't mind some night matches at Wimbledon.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #208 on: September 06, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
As expected Serena win easily against Hantuchova and move on to QF.

Lina also move to her first US Open quarter final with a convincing straight sets win and will try to reach her first GS Semifinal ever. Though her opponent will be tough to beat, Venus or Kim. She probably prefer Venus cause she win against Venus before.

Offline Arjen

• Tennis God
  • Federer, BAKKER, Rod, Nole!Stay uninjured Haase!:D
« Reply #209 on: September 06, 2009, 03:15:28 PM »
Clijsters - Venus 5-0!  :lmao: with 3 breaks! :D

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »
Kim is playing flawless and aid with Venus erratic play, Kim bagel Venus in first set 6-0.  :scared:

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »
Now Kim is about to get bageled!! What the fudge!!

Offline Arjen

• Tennis God
  • Federer, BAKKER, Rod, Nole!Stay uninjured Haase!:D
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
WTA wth?! xD

Offline hcpoirot

• Tennis God
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
The third set was just thrilling. Only 1 break from Venus. Both Kim and Venus really show the mental of a champion by serving out under big pressure. Venus only make 5 DF and Kim only 3.

Too bad Kim probably will met Serena in Semifinal. It will be better if they met in final.

Offline fedhingis067

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2009, 04:43:51 PM »
Glad Clijsters pulled through and fought off those 2 break points. Now we don't have to suffer through another Venus-Serena match!!

Offline tennis08

• Tennis God
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »
I hope Henin is at home watching this match.  

Clijsters look like she's the best player on the WTA.  

I'm start to think how many GS she would have won if she's didn't settle down too early.  It's the husband's fault!

Offline wilsonboy

• Tennis God
  • Jesus Christ is Lord
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »
Aww... I'm disappointed with Venus losing, but with a bum knee, I'm glad she was able to make the second week. Plus I like Clijsters, and Serena's still in the draw so yay. Good win for Clijsters.
Be the change that you seek.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Aww... I'm disappointed with Venus losing, but with a bum knee, I'm glad she was able to make the second week. Plus I like Clijsters, and Serena's still in the draw so yay. Good win for Clijsters.
At the start of the 3rd set, my daughter and I counted 13 consequetive unforced errors. :mad1:
I turned off the tube and went out to mow.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Alex

• Tennis God
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »
I just saw the last set. Kim played so well. I hope she can def. Serena and take the title. Go Kim.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
« Reply #219 on: September 06, 2009, 07:39:20 PM »
At the start of the 3rd set, my daughter and I counted 13 consequetive unforced errors. :mad1:
I turned off the tube and went out to mow.

Sounds like my match today...

I am excited to see Kim C come through.  I hope she can continue to do some damage.
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com