Poll

Should the U.S. Open get a retractable roof?

YES
NO

Author Topic: Should the U.S. Open get a retractable roof?  (Read 10189 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Should the U.S. Open get a retractable roof?
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 10:49:50 PM »
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/09/in-a-development-of-supreme-irony.html

"It would be great to have a roof today, would be great to have the money to put up a roof. . . but it's a much more difficult decision than that, and the reason is that we're a non-profit (corporation). Our mission is to grow and develop the game of tennis. We spend a lot of money we make on the Open on grass roots tennis. . . so the question is, are you going to spend $100 million or more, on a roof that you might use once a year, which would be the average. Or is the money better spent promoting the game? Because over the last five years, grassroots tennis has grown tremendously, tennis is growing more than any of the traditional sports in our contry. So it's a very difficult balance to make."

What he left unsaid is that an extravagent outlay for a roof could be interpreted by IRS officials as a violation of the USTA's non-profit status. Entire teams of lawyers at every layer of government now have divisions that scrutinize the legitimacy of non-profit organizations and how they spend their money.

Not a problem for tain! What's it going to be, tain, sell the USTA center to China and let the Chinese build the roof. That would solve the non-profit status thingy.

No, if it is like this then it would be wrong to build a roof.  However, why exactly have they considered building the roof in the first place? :dunno:

Why wouldn't they consider it and get an estimate at the very least?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline tain316

• Tennis God
  • 3 Down, 1 More to Go!
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2009/09/in-a-development-of-supreme-irony.html

"It would be great to have a roof today, would be great to have the money to put up a roof. . . but it's a much more difficult decision than that, and the reason is that we're a non-profit (corporation). Our mission is to grow and develop the game of tennis. We spend a lot of money we make on the Open on grass roots tennis. . . so the question is, are you going to spend $100 million or more, on a roof that you might use once a year, which would be the average. Or is the money better spent promoting the game? Because over the last five years, grassroots tennis has grown tremendously, tennis is growing more than any of the traditional sports in our contry. So it's a very difficult balance to make."

What he left unsaid is that an extravagent outlay for a roof could be interpreted by IRS officials as a violation of the USTA's non-profit status. Entire teams of lawyers at every layer of government now have divisions that scrutinize the legitimacy of non-profit organizations and how they spend their money.

Not a problem for tain! What's it going to be, tain, sell the USTA center to China and let the Chinese build the roof. That would solve the non-profit status thingy.

No, if it is like this then it would be wrong to build a roof.  However, why exactly have they considered building the roof in the first place? :dunno:

Why wouldn't they consider it and get an estimate at the very least?

Yes, but it seems like this isn't just a simple estimation and look at if this could be added to the main stadium. From the comments of higher officials, it seems there will eventually be a roof.  Then everyone can argue why the money wasn't spent on tennis programs across the nation. 

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2009, 06:45:53 AM »
You say it's to expensive for you Americans  :confused1:
Well cut the budget for military operations and invest in sport and space adventures !

What's it like, 300 billions for wars and sh!t,  17 millions for NASA, so, are WE going forward or backwards ? :dunno:

Contrary to what people may have you believing, the government is not passing out money left and right for reasons as frivolous as tennis stadium remodeling. 

True, but it is ridiculous to suggest that tthe U.S. Open does not have the money o build one.  If Wimbledon can build that cost at least 130 million dollars on a court as old as Centre Court, there is no reason one cannot be built on Ashe.  The engineering feat to build a roof over Centre Court was incredible without destroying the stadium in the process.  
I've been poking around but haven't been able to come up with the numbers that confirm or refute this statement.

I doubt they have to disclose what they make, but from what the chief executive has said, it seems that money isn't the issue.  They did just spend 60 million on that new indoor tennis facility (which is awesome too).
They most certainly have to disclose that info, but I haven't been able to lay my hands on it as of now.

Really?  They have to disclose their financial information publicly?
Yes.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61539

See paragraph one.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
Bump!

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Saturday, Mary said they are looking into it. Cover Ashe or just build another stadium.

Someone will have to engineer a special lid for Ashe since it wasn't constructed to be fitted with one. That prolly accounts for the delay; they need the funds to purchase land and build a huge stadium. Armstrong only seats 10-12,000.
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline Belgian Miss

• Tennis God
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:49 AM »
:yawn:

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
We have this discussion every year...
:))
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Predator

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »
No. It's good the way it is now. Roof would take away the rest day between the semis and final.
Rocket Rod Laver
Ilie Nastase
Bjorn Borg
Ivan Lendl
Pete Sampras

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »
No. It's good the way it is now. Roof would take away the rest day between the semis and final.
:lmao!:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »
Saturday, Mary said they are looking into it. Cover Ashe or just build another stadium.

Someone will have to engineer a special lid for Ashe since it wasn't constructed to be fitted with one. That prolly accounts for the delay; they need the funds to purchase land and build a huge stadium. Armstrong only seats 10-12,000.

I agree, a roof? does not matter anymore. Ashe stadium should be demolished and built a new state of the art stadium with a roof there.
Ashe stadium is a white elephant. Demolition. Don't want to say more about the stadium, too big, old fashioned, only 1 thing, it's sad a legendary player like Arthur Ashe has his name in that horrible stadium.
the other thing that it's sad, it's that before Ashe, Armstrong was the centre court and all the outside courts were in what is now Ashe and the indoor facility. With Ashe, not only they built a bad stadium, they added 16 identical outside courts south of Ashe and there's no difference between court 7, 10, 11 and 13.
Only Roland Garros is probably worst in terms of grand slams facility. Chatrier did a great and necessary upgrade to the facility in the 70's and 80's but 30 years later the complex has become too small, too packed, old!! that's why we have a project for a new Roland Garros each year in the past 3 seasons.. The difference between USO and FO is that the FO was built in the 20's while Ashe, the white elephant has become old in 10 years.

While I don't miss Kooyong because Flinders Park is an excellent tennis complex, I miss a lot of times the old, venerable, legendary and never to be forgotten stadium at Forest Hills when I watch Ashe stadium.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 08:46:30 PM by conchita »
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 06:16:05 AM »

I agree, a roof? does not matter anymore. Ashe stadium should be demolished and built a new state of the art stadium with a roof there.
Ashe stadium is a white elephant. Demolition. Don't want to say more about the stadium, too big, old fashioned, only 1 thing, it's sad a legendary player like Arthur Ashe has his name in that horrible stadium.
the other thing that it's sad, it's that before Ashe, Armstrong was the centre court and all the outside courts were in what is now Ashe and the indoor facility. With Ashe, not only they built a bad stadium, they added 16 identical outside courts south of Ashe and there's no difference between court 7, 10, 11 and 13.
Only Roland Garros is probably worst in terms of grand slams facility. Chatrier did a great and necessary upgrade to the facility in the 70's and 80's but 30 years later the complex has become too small, too packed, old!! that's why we have a project for a new Roland Garros each year in the past 3 seasons.. The difference between USO and FO is that the FO was built in the 20's while Ashe, the white elephant has become old in 10 years.

While I don't miss Kooyong because Flinders Park is an excellent tennis complex, I miss a lot of times the old, venerable, legendary and never to be forgotten stadium at Forest Hills when I watch Ashe stadium.

There is only one way you could know all this stuff! :))

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2010/09/01/congressman-wants-us-open-back-in-forest-hills/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:23:45 AM by monstertruck »
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Emma

• Tennis God
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »
I don't care for Monday finals so I am all for the roof. Also, they need to get rid of the insane Super Saturday schedule and put the semis on Friday like rest of the normal people. Or else they will keep putting the more competitive match later Saturday afternoon after the first match and the winner of that match will always be in disadvantage than his opponent. As a result, the wrong person will end up winning a slam in a most likely scenario. It  happened in 2008 and it happened in 2010 and it will happen again. Players should come first above all.
You are everything I am not.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
There is only one way you could know all this stuff! :))

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2010/09/01/congressman-wants-us-open-back-in-forest-hills/

They used to play in that old horseshoe? I've never seen that stadium before.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 02:54:14 PM »
I don't care for Monday finals so I am all for the roof. Also, they need to get rid of the insane Super Saturday schedule and put the semis on Friday like rest of the normal people. Or else they will keep putting the more competitive match later Saturday afternoon after the first match and the winner of that match will always be in disadvantage than his opponent. As a result, the wrong person will end up winning a slam in a most likely scenario. It  happened in 2008 and it happened in 2010 and it will happen again. Players should come first above all.

sadly, the last weekend of the USO is scheduled around the interests of the tv channel that has the rights to broadcast the event. First come the nfl games and when there is not nfl then they play the tennis matches to fill in. so sad.
also the finals of the USO are almost in a terrible streak of bad luck.
women's final, 14 years with a straight set final. no epic final since mid 90's.
men's final, 3 blue mondays in a row.   
Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 03:15:34 PM »

thanks for the pic! :)) it's very difficult to find pics of Forest Hills (like the old court 1 at Wimby demolished in the 90's), Forest Hills is my 2nd favorite stadium, first of course is my local club, RCTB but then comes Forest Hills, I have been to the stadium several times, each time I fly to NYC I go to visit the stadium. it's like a tradition. Love to visit the place!
I was very sad when 2-3 years ago they lost the small wta tier IV that was played there, don't even want to know if they are still playing the challenger event and don't want to imagine the rumours about the stadium being demolished to built condos.
sale for Forest Hills stadium? july 2010, http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703720504575377364280435710.html
I know the story of Ebbets Field or the Polo Grounds for example, don't want to think the venerable old horseshoe (almost identical to Kooyong) at Forest Hills is going to have the same end. Hope they will do whatever possible to mantain the stadium. Fingers crossed.  
I also love the fact we have a member here with the nickname  "Forest Hills".
Again thank you very much for the picture of what was the centre court of the USO since 1923 til 1977.
another one:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:19:10 PM by conchita »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
Another great picture, conchita. It looks big but being a horseshoe, it can't hold more than old Armstrong. I think old Armstrong held 15,000ish. What a bizarre configuration for a main stadium.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »
Another great picture, conchita. It looks big but being a horseshoe, it can't hold more than old Armstrong. I think old Armstrong held 18,000ish. What a bizarre configuration for a main stadium.

Forest Hills seats 14,000
old Armstrong  18,000
new Armstrong  10,200

Wow, the neighborhood of Forest Hills looks gorgeous. That must be the part of Queens McEnroe grew up. I've got to check it out someday.  :gleam:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:10:12 PM by Babblelot »

Offline Simkim

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
I don't care for Monday finals so I am all for the roof. Also, they need to get rid of the insane Super Saturday schedule and put the semis on Friday like rest of the normal people. Or else they will keep putting the more competitive match later Saturday afternoon after the first match and the winner of that match will always be in disadvantage than his opponent. As a result, the wrong person will end up winning a slam in a most likely scenario. It  happened in 2008 and it happened in 2010 and it will happen again. Players should come first above all.

Yeah, a big conspiracy to help the overrated player from Majorca. I suspect Bush sr. was involved. Hopefully, one day the truth will come out. Keep fighting!

Offline Chris1987

• Tennis God
  • Maria!!- Victoria!!- Elena V!!- Maria K!!
    • http://www.mariasharapova.com
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »
Another great picture, conchita. It looks big but being a horseshoe, it can't hold more than old Armstrong. I think old Armstrong held 18,000ish. What a bizarre configuration for a main stadium.

old Armstrong  18,000
new Armstrong  10,200

Wow, the neighborhood of Forest Hills looks gorgeous. That must be the part of Queens McEnroe grew up. I've got to check it out someday.  :gleam:

That's exactly what I'm thinking too :cool: I've looked at the air shots on Google maps and zoomed in and it does look a really lovely part of Queens and its only a couple of miles away from where I stayed last year.
Career Grand Slam! 20 time English Champions!

Maria, Manchester United, Victoria, Elena V, Maria K, Rafa Nadal, LA Lakers, England Cricket

Maria Sharapova's number 1 Fan!

Offline conchita

• Tennis God
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 05:08:28 PM »

old Armstrong  18,000
new Armstrong  10,200

Wow, the neighborhood of Forest Hills looks gorgeous. That must be the part of Queens McEnroe grew up. I've got to check it out someday.  :gleam:

the whole area around Forest Hills is very nice!
funny that Forest Hills and Kooyong, my 3rd fav. stadium, are almost identical, both horseshoe and around the same capacity

what do you think about the chances to build a new tennis stadium instead of just a roof???
NY My Entire Team Sucks, aka Mets, just built a new ballpark in front of Flushing Meadows
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:10:04 PM by conchita »