Author Topic: JUSTINE HENIN THREAD - PICTURES, NEWS, ETC.........  (Read 16009 times)

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
Re: JUSTINE HENIN THREAD - PICTURES, NEWS, ETC.........
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »
^^^ Please continue posting on this thread...we'd love having a lot of fans for sure :)

First things first...

She's got to be a little less aggressive on big points. Look at the way she stepped in for the second serve! The attitude was good but perhaps her extremely aggressive hitting sent all the balls out of the court.

Second, she's got to improve her SERVE. Everyone has been saying this but if she wants that wimbledon fast, she's got to improve her serve dramatically like what Rafa improved in 08'

Third, Fruitcake, she should not play in Eastbourne. No way. Remember 06' and 07'? She wins RG, plays Eastbourne and enters wimby with half her strength gone. She better enters the wimbledon fresh. I can't bare to see her losing in wimbledon again.

Fourth, although her net play is very good, it doesn't come to her as naturally as it did to say navratilova. She's still a baseline girl and needs to keep movind the bif girls around....just like she moved Venus around in the SF at USO in 07'.

Lastly, a great calender schedule would do it. No need of anymore smaller and smaller titles. She has come back to win Wimbledon, so let it be. If RG, USO, AO are added to the baggy, its a bonus. Nobody cares for the smaller tournaments at this juncture.

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »

All I can say is congratulations Serena, you are number one and it shows.  
Justine gave it a good go but just did not serve well to be able to win.  
I think if she had the serve working; maybe Justine could of came through.  
But all the credit goes to Serena for her comeback to win the final!

Saturday 30 January 2010
By Mike Steere

World No. 1 Serena Williams has claimed her 12th Grand Slam title after beating Belgian Justine Henin in a compelling three-set Australian Open final at Rod Laver Arena on Saturday.

The 28-year-old American extended her impressive run in Grand Slam finals, with the 6-4 3-6 6-2 win marking her 12th victory in 15 Slam deciders.

It’s the fifth singles title for the American in Melbourne, with Williams adding to her tournament wins in 2003, 2005, 2007 and last year.

Williams completed the win in two hours and seven minutes, but had to go to a third set after Henin dominated the second and threatened to take her momentum into the third. The defending champion responded and claimed the final set in convincing style.

In picking up the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Trophy for a fifth time, Williams also extended her head-to-head lead to 8-6 over her 27-year-old opponent.

Henin, playing just her 11th match since returning from retirement in 2008, fought hard throughout, winning only five fewer points in the match. However, her low first serve percentage (50 per cent), six double faults and Williams’ 12 aces conspired to keep her from claiming an eighth Grand Slam title.

Williams’ service game looked shaky early in the first set as Henin created multiple break points in the first three games. The defending champion was able to hold strong to go to 2-1, including three aces in the third game alone.

The American then pounced in the following game, breaking serve as Henin double-faulted and made two unforced errors.

Henin created plenty of further break chances later in the set, eventually bringing the score back to 4-4. However, Williams then held serve easily and managed to break in the 10th game to close out the set 6-4 in 51 minutes.

It was the Belgian who looked lively early in the second set, claiming a break in the third game. Equal to the challenge, Williams broke straight back and then held to go ahead 3-2.

Henin then found form late in the second set, and from 3-3, she went on a spree, breaking Williams twice and taking the set 6-3 as the American produced numerous uncharacteristic unforced errors.

Henin continued her hot streak into the third set, winning 15 points in a row and creating two break points on the Williams serve.

The defending champion soon found her first serve rhythm again, and sent down a 197km/h ace to send the game to deuce. She held, and from that point never looked back as she broke the Belgian twice and took the set, and the championship.

Henin had five opportunities to break Williams’ serve in the final set, but, like in the first set, she failed to capitalise. In total, the Belgian took just five of 16 break chances, while Williams claimed six of her 11 opportunities.

Fast facts

- Williams served at 64 per cent, while Henin served at 50 per cent on first serves.

- Henin had 32 unforced errors to the 37 recorded by Williams.

- Williams won 90 points to Henin’s 85.

- The American converted six of her 11 break-point opportunities, while the Belgian was 5-for-16 on break point chances.

- Williams hit 12 aces to the Belgian's four.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:48:22 PM by HarryWild »

Offline Fruitcake

• Tennis Player
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
falcon

As it happens I was at both of those Eastbourne tournaments in 06 + 07 and its purely for selfish reasons that I'd like to see Justine there again this year as its so easy to get tickets.  Of course the decision is hers and hers alone.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »
falcon

As it happens I was at both of those Eastbourne tournaments in 06 + 07 and its purely for selfish reasons that I'd like to see Justine there again this year as its so easy to get tickets.  Of course the decision is hers and hers alone.

Yes...I hope she doesn't for the sake of wimbledon. I don't want her to be too tired to lift the racket when in wimbledon  :)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2010, 05:18:57 PM »
French Open should be her next focus.  At least now she will be in the rankings!  I wonder if they will seat her in top 5 or in the top 50s.  She has only won it 4 times and 4 out of 5 years too.  I hope it is in the 50s for laughs.  I think Justine likes to meet the top 10 in the early rounds.  That way she is fresh and they are fearful.  I don't believe they are use to facing semi or final opponent level players like Justine in the first three rounds.  Plus, Justine gets bonus points for beating them.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
French Open should be her next focus.  At least now she will be in the rankings!  I wonder if they will seat her in top 5 or in the top 50s.  She has only won it 4 times and 4 out of 5 years too.  I hope it is in the 50s for laughs.  I think Justine likes to meet the top 10 in the early rounds.  That way she is fresh and they are fearful.  I don't believe they are use to facing semi or final opponent level players like Justine in the first three rounds.  Plus, Justine gets bonus points for beating them.

Well said. Personally I don't care much for the smaller tournaments any more either, which I believe are for development of the game for the players and to stabilize their rankings. Henin doesn't need either. All she needs are the slams...even that I would like her to do the RG-Wimby double. I don't care for the USO once she does this double. However nothing is a lock and hopefully she'll be at her best in both the tournaments.  ://

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
Her next tournament is going to be Indian Wells. She's getting a month to rest now. Great decision to skip Dubai.  :)) Hope Carlos and Justine continue a great calender.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2010, 07:49:09 PM »
Found out that Justine will not be ranked by the WTA until 16 tournaments have been accumulated.  If she starts to win grand slams which are 2000 points.  She could be number 1 in the world if she will all the remaining ones - which will give her 1,600 plus 6,000 or 7,600 points.  It that happens; I would strongly encourage Justine to just retire again.   That would be a record that who be hard to duplicate again. 

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2010, 05:59:31 AM »
Found out that Justine will not be ranked by the WTA until 16 tournaments have been accumulated.  If she starts to win grand slams which are 2000 points.  She could be number 1 in the world if she will all the remaining ones - which will give her 1,600 plus 6,000 or 7,600 points.  It that happens; I would strongly encourage Justine to just retire again.   That would be a record that who be hard to duplicate again. 

I actually didn't quite understand. For one, Justine is not bothered about the rankings at all...if not I bet she would've played in Dubai. She wants to be a major player in the slams. That's it. She has said that she would like to play till London Olympics....I'd love to see her playing beyond that too...but the decision is totally hers.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
Justine has received a wild card entry for IW  :)

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Justine has received a wild card entry for IW  :)

It a shocker that she is going to play in Indian Wells!  She must like the dry heat!  I guess she could treat it as a vacation.   California!   If I were Justine; I would wait and save energy and do a couple of clay tournaments and then do the French in May!  It cold in Europe now!

It will be nice to watch her play in the heat! 

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 05:33:28 PM »
Allez Justine, she'll finally be ranked after IW and not need wildcards.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:46 PM »
Allez Justine, she'll finally be ranked after IW and not need wildcards.

A player needs to complete 16 tournaments before they can be ranked according to the WTA rules.  But Justine could get into any tournament she wishes because of her status as a former number one (that retired number one) and also a fan favorite that fills seats.  Finally, Justine did okay at the 2010 Australian Open too.  Maybe the WTA will make an exception but it probably up Justine to ask for something like that; but like you I think Justine enjoys being the underdog and unranked. 

WTA top 20 players probably will be pretty scare to see the draw however if Justine is entered in their tournament.  Especially the top 10!  It could be out in the first round for them!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
Kind of negative slant on Justine from a short article from Tennis.com.  I kind of hints that Justine has a say in her draw and she chose to avoid the top seeds.  Anything to grab attention huh!

"

Henin avoids top seeds in Indian Wells draw
Ticker - Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Justine Henin has avoided drawing one of the top names in the early rounds as she prepares to play the third event of her comeback at Indian Wells

Henin, who is unseeded because she has not yet played enough tournaments to earn a ranking, would not meet a top four player until Elena Dementieva in the quarterfinals. The Belgian will begin against Magdalena Rybarikova, and also has Agnieszka Radwanska and Marion Bartoli in her section of the draw. Maria Sharapova or Caroline Wozniacki could await in the semifinals.

In the other half of the draw, Kim Clijsters and Svetlana Kuznetsova could clash in the fourth round, and last year's finalists Ana Ivanovic and Vera Zvonareva are slated to meet inthe third round."

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=4520&zoneid=4

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
Allez Juju!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2010, 06:09:12 AM »

NDIAN WELLS, Calif. (AP)

Henin, playing her third tournament since ending a 19-month retirement, trailed 4-1, in the third set Friday and lost to Gisela Dulko of Argentina, 6-2, 1-6, 6-4, in the second round of the BNP Paribas Open.  Henin, who retired in May, 2008, while No. 1 in the world, had reached the finals at Brisbane, Australia, and in the Australian Open in her previous outings this year. But against Dulko, the 31st seed in this 96-player event, the Belgian continued to struggle on serve, saving just 2 of 8 break points, and never could find consistency with her groundstrokes.

She rallied from that 4-1 deficit to pull to 5-4, but in a sequence that epitomized the match, she made three unforced errors to give Duko match point and the 25-year-old from Buenos Aires closed it out with a running crosscourt forehand after retrieving Henin’s drop shot.

"

Henin struggles with nerves in loss to Dulko
Ticker - Saturday, March 13, 2010

Justine Henin took the first stunning loss of her comeback, falling 6‑2,1‑6, 6‑4 to No. 51 Gisela Dulko, who has now taken down three Grand Slam champions in the past eight months – Maria Sharapova at Wimbledon, Ana Ivanovic at the Australian Open and Henin on Thursday at Indian Wells.

It was Henin's first loss to a player outside the top 35 since she fell to No. 87 Meghann Shaugnnessy at 2006 Miami. The Belgian, who littered the court with errors, said she had trouble controlling her nerves.

“It was difficult for me today,” she said. “That's what I'm going to have to work on especially. On the court it's much harder because you have an opponent and she wants the same thing as you want.  It's a real fight.

"So you just have to try to stay calm. It hasn't been that easy for me today….Everything is still pretty new, so I have to deal with it. “
"

****************************************************************************************************

It does not pay to go on vacation sometimes!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:10:07 AM by HarryWild »

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2010, 06:12:13 AM »

Doubles partners' Justine Henin, right, and Martina Navratilova celebrate a point against Steffi Graf and Lindsay Davenport during Hit for Haiti charity tennis event at the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament Indian Wells, Calif., Friday, March 12, 2010. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

Still in the doubles however with Martina!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »
I can't believe Justine lost to Dulko who has no forehand/backhand/serve. All looks...

Offline tonaiden

• Tennis God
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
I can't believe Justine lost to Dulko who has no forehand/backhand/serve. All looks...

You don´t have a clue.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2010, 07:59:32 PM »
The exhibition match was actually good...enjoyed it more than the men's game where things turned a bit sour. Nav and Graf were just as good....its kinda amazing how Nav has managed to remain so fit and athletic. Wonder why she quit from the doubles. She's still so good at the net! Good job girls  :) :)