Author Topic: JUSTINE HENIN THREAD - PICTURES, NEWS, ETC.........  (Read 16541 times)

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
Re: JUSTINE HENIN THREAD - PICTURES, NEWS, ETC.........
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2010, 08:18:20 PM »
Harry, what's your take on today's match?
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1857331/2004gaudio-o.gif

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »

Justine "Never Say Die" Henin cameback to beat a determined Shavapova  6-2, 3-6, 6-3.  Shavapova broke Justine in the first game for a  2-0 lead!

Henin comes back to beat Sharapova at French Open
By HOWARD FENDRICH, AP Tennis Writer
PARIS (AP)—Trailing Maria Sharapova 0-2, love-40 in the third set at the French Open, Justine Henin was well aware that things were looking pretty dicey for her.

“Yeah,” Henin acknowledged Sunday, “looked like it was going to be fast.”

Sure did.

Right there, right when she needed to, Henin began to turn the third-round showdown her way. She emerged with a 23rd consecutive victory at Roland Garros— a streak that dates to 2005, before her 20-month hiatus from tennis—by beating Sharapova 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in a match contested over two days.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I definitely played some good tennis, but it wasn’t enough to win,” Sharapova said. “At the end of the day, no matter how good or bad you play, you know, she’s the one with the ‘W.”’

More than that, only five months into her comeback, Henin is compiling further evidence that she quickly has regained her status as one of the best in the game, regardless of her No. 22 seeding at the French Open. Remember: She was ranked No. 1 and the owner of seven Grand Slam titles, including four in Paris, when she abruptly left the tour in 2008.

So here’s what everyone wants to know: Is Henin as good now as she was then?

“I don’t want to compare, because everything is so different. I’m not yet as consistent as I was. … I still need some time,” said Henin, who reached the Australian Open final in January in the first major tournament of her return. “I know there are still ups and downs, and I’ll work on it.”

There were significant swings of momentum in this match between two former No. 1 players who own a total of 10 Grand Slam titles. On Saturday, Henin controlled the first set, and Sharapova the second, as they played through rain, wind and fading light before the match was suspended because of darkness.

“Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse, it got worse,” is how Sharapova described Saturday’s conditions.

“The ball is heavy. There’s tons of clay on the court. It’s raining. It’s not just drizzling—it’s pouring for about 10 minutes. That doesn’t really help matters for the rest of the match. Then it gets dark,” she added. “You’ve got all sorts of things, and you add the wind—and you add the opponent.”

When action resumed Sunday, though, it took all of 11 minutes for Sharapova to seem to seize control by winning 11 of the afternoon’s first 15 points.

On the first of what would be four break points for Sharapova in the final set’s key third game, the Russian put a backhand into the net to lose a 16-stroke exchange. Henin began rushing forward, and two volley winners erased two more break points, while a 109 mph service winner took care of yet another.

“I came to the net, and that gave me my confidence back. I really needed that game,” said Henin, who next meets No. 7 Sam Stosur of Australia. “After that, everything was easier.”

After holding there, Henin broke Sharapova twice in a row, all part of a stretch in which the Belgian took 18 of 24 points and went ahead 4-2.

There was more shakiness for Henin, though: She dumped a forehand into the net to give Sharapova a break point, then ceded the game with a double-fault to cut her lead to 4-3.

Right when it looked as if it all might be slipping away, Henin broke right back, delivering one of her trademark one-handed backhands down the line for a winner that made it 5-3. She then served out the victory, and tapped her right palm over her heart while thanking the crowd for its support.

“I certainly had my opportunities in this match,” Sharapova said. “It’s definitely frustrating when you feel like you had them and just didn’t take them — or was a little bit hesitant.”

Still, Sharapova demonstrated that she, too, is on her way back to where she used to be—the big-hitting, baseline-covering, full-of-grit player who won Wimbledon in 2004, the U.S. Open in 2006 and the Australian Open in 2008.

The best news of all for Sharapova is that she wasn’t hampered by her surgically repaired right shoulder or the injured right elbow that kept her off tour earlier this season.

“I’ve been serving much better, and my arm has been feeling good,” she said. “I feel, like, physically, nothing really bothers me.”

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2010, 12:23:57 PM »

Hi Babblelot,

Here is my post on the Shavapova ProPlayer's Forum on May 27th:

"Re: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything! 1ST PAGE UPDA
« Reply #3174 on: May 27, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Quote  Modify  Remove
Maria looks sharp in her matches at the 2010 French Open.  It will be an interesting match in the 3rd round; where she will met a determined player that has had her number for a long time - - - - Justine Henin.  6'4" vs. 5' 5"!  A match of contrasts.  Justine with grit and small vs. Maria with power and size.

Of course, I give Justine the edge here -  since it is on the clay.  But it could be a repeat on grass too!

Going to be exciting no matter who ever wins.  I think Justine will take it in three since Maria is playing very well!"

Just luck a call!

Let see if Justine can win her fifth French!

Offline FedFanForever

• Tennis God
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2010, 01:12:12 PM »
Allez Justine! Queen of Roland Garros.
Then we will fight in the shade.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2010, 03:22:22 PM »

Next up is  seventh-seeded Aussie Samantha Stosur in the fourth round.

Their last match together is shown below:

Justine Henin Versus Samantha STOSUR (AUS)
Year   Tournament   Round   Surface   Winner   Score
2010   Stuttgart   FR   Clay (I)   J.HENIN   6-4 2-6 6-1
Justine HENIN (BEL) Leads Samantha STOSUR (AUS) : 1 to 0 *
* The Head to Head Win / Loss count does not include ITF Pro Circuit events and qualifying matches.

It was a three set affair where Justine won her first 2010 title in Stuttgart; so it no walk over for Justine to say the least!  But course, Justine is now a more player tough opponent so Justine I believe has the edge.

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »

Hi Babblelot,

"Re: The MARIA SHARAPOVA THREAD - Quotes, Facts, Reports, Anything! 1ST PAGE UPDA
Quote  Modify  Remove
Maria looks sharp in her matches at the 2010 French Open.  It will be an interesting match in the 3rd round; where she will met a determined player that has had her number for a long time - - - - Justine Henin.  6'4" vs. 5' 5"!  A match of contrasts.  Justine with grit and small vs. Maria with power and size.

Of course, I give Justine the edge here -  since it is on the clay.  But it could be a repeat on grass too!

Going to be exciting no matter who ever wins.  I think Justine will take it in three since Maria is playing very well!"

Just luck a call!

Hi Harry, that wasn't the response I was going after.

I wanted to hear from one of her big fans (I include myself in that camp). I want to know what you thought of those first two sets yesterday. I want to hear your assessment of Justine's play; I've given mine in the RG-WTA thread.

Cheers!
1995 USO, 1997 USO, 2004 USO, 2005 RG, 2005 USO, 2006 RG, 2006 USO, 2007 USO, 2008 RG, 2008 USO, 2009 USO, 2010 USO, 2011 USO, 2012 USOhttp://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1856936/2005safin-o.gif

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
Allez for Wimbledon Justine!!!

The drag of destiny destroys the reins of reason

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2010, 02:57:49 PM »

Justine Henin crashes in three and Samantha Storur has her revenge!

"Henin’s Paris return ended by Stosur

PARIS, May 31 (Reuters) - Justine Henin’s hopes of a fifth French Open title vanished with a 2-6 6-1 6-4 fourth-round defeat by Australian seventh seed Sam Stosur on Monday.

Henin, a four-time champion returning to the game after a 20-month stint in retirement, looked set to canter through after sealing the opening set in 32 minutes on Court Suzanne Lenglen.

But Stosur, a semi-finalist last year, ripped through the second and although she let slip an early break in the decider she broke the Henin serve once again for a 5-4 lead and served out for the match, sealing it in an hour and 46 minutes with a confident overhead.

Stosur showed a touch of nerves when delivering a double fault, one of seven in the match, on her first match point but she made no mistake with the second.

“I can’t really believe it,” the 26-year-old Australian said in a courtside interview.

“(After losing the first set) I told myself to just keep going. I believed in myself.”

Henin left to a standing ovation from the crowd but it will be Stosur who faces American top seed Serena Williams for a place in the semi-finals.

(Editing by Miles Evans; To query or comment on this story emailsportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)"

I am watching the match 2-2 at the third and knew that Henin was going to lose it!  I think Stosur just was better prepare for today - (mentally, spiritually, physically) and just had a purpose of showing her number 7 ranking.  Stosur seem to have more power, more determined, better tactics, etc.......  Justine did not counter effectively to win the third set it seem since it was very close at 6-4 in the third.

I going to leave it and watch the match later this week!  Cannot take watching Justine lose right now.

It will be a interest match with Samantha Stosur vs. Serena Williams.   I think Serena will win in three!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:01:46 PM by HarryWild »

Online Babblelot

• Tennis God
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »

Hi Babblelot,

Quote  Modify  Remove
Maria looks sharp in her matches at the 2010 French Open.  It will be an interesting match in the 3rd round; where she will met a determined player that has had her number for a long time - - - - Justine Henin.  6'4" vs. 5' 5"!  A match of contrasts.  Justine with grit and small vs. Maria with power and size.

Of course, I give Justine the edge here -  since it is on the clay.  But it could be a repeat on grass too!

Going to be exciting no matter who ever wins.  I think Justine will take it in three since Maria is playing very well!"

Just luck a call!

Hi Harry, that wasn't the response I was going after.

I wanted to hear from one of her big fans (I include myself in that camp). I want to know what you thought of those first two sets yesterday. I want to hear your assessment of Justine's play; I've given mine in the RG-WTA thread.

Cheers!

Wow, Harry content to dodge my question...  :Confused:

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
Happy birthday Justine  :)) 

My girl turns 28!!!!  :king:

On a side note, Justine apparently won't play Eastbourne. This is not confirmed yet but that's what is given in her official calender on her site. As of now the next tournament is Wimbledon. Go Justine...In the meantime work on your serve, ALLEZ!!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2010, 04:24:34 AM »

On a side note, Justine apparently won't play Eastbourne. This is not confirmed yet but that's what is given in her official calender on her site. As of now the next tournament is Wimbledon. Go Justine...In the meantime work on your serve, ALLEZ!!
She appears to be going for more pace and is having some success.
Her toss (and Sharapova's) is driving me bonkers though!     
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #131 on: June 01, 2010, 04:26:59 AM »

She appears to be going for more pace and is having some success.
Her toss (and Sharapova's) is driving me bonkers though!     

True, she's always has had trouble with her serve but this tournament i saw her going more for her second serve, which caused plenty of DF's. I hope she'll work on it for the coming two weeks.

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #132 on: June 01, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »
Q. Your first defeat here for six years. How big a disappointment is it for you for that run to end today?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, of course it is disappointing. I mean, never easy to lose, and especially in this kind of situation.
I just wanted so much that the adventure could keep going. I haven't been of course, yeah, at my best today. Samantha was the best player on the court. She took her chances, the opportunities.
Yeah, it's of course difficult, but it's part of the sport. And when you come back at this level, you know, after, I mean, two years off, you know it's not gonna be easy to deal with a lot of situations. That means I still have to work harder and see it as a big challenge.
Like I said, I took this year as a year of transition, so of course it's hard. But in another way, it seems a bit normal. I'll just try to keep a lot of positive things and get focused on the future now.

Q. How much have the weather conditions here over the past few days affected you mentally? It's such a wonderful surface, and to play out there when it's warm and it's sunny, now you have this weather to deal with. Does that have any impact on you?
JUSTINE HENIN: It hasn't been easy, of course, the last few days, to play so many days in a row, even if it's not full match, but stop and start again the day after and finish the match.
Of course, the conditions haven't been the best that I knew here in Paris, but it's part of the game. It's the same for all the players, and I just did my best to, yeah, deal with the situation.
But it's true that it hasn't been the best weather to play a good game here. But like I said, same for everyone. Emotionally, it was difficult to deal with all these matches, I mean, the two matches I had to stop and start again, especially against Sharapova emotionally probably took a lot from me. That wasn't easy to come back on the court today.

Q. Samantha Stosur has been playing well. Sometimes players will come up and nibble around the edges, but they won't really maybe break through. Do you see her as potentially a real top 5 sort of player and contender at Grand Slams?
JUSTINE HENIN: She has a lot of qualities. She really starts to be very consistent, especially on the clay. I mean, probably her best surface. She can do a lot of good things.

Q. You've actually been back now about for five months. So now, having got back into the circuit and had a look at it, are you still convinced that you can be as good as you once were before you took the break from the game?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, it's gonna take some time. I realize that.
But I said it from the first minute, you know, I was back on the tour. Even if the ambitions are to, you know, do the best and really get better, I also said while it's not easy to come back, it's gonna take a little bit of time.
There have been a lot of good things in the first five months of the season, but that's not easy. I mean, I knew 2010 would be difficult. I mean, even if in Australia I got very good results, you know, it was also the surprise, you know, to come back for the other players and everything.
After that, you have to confirm. We can see there are some ups and downs, and I think I mean, I knew it could happen. Now it's probably gonna be really the time that I'll have to, you know, just say, Well, it's now that I have to find, because there are difficult moments. I think I'm ready to do it.

Q. Is Sam Stosur mentally a tougher player than maybe the Australian media have given her credit for in the past?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, she's like I said, she has a lot of qualities, and she improved a lot in the last few months, I would say. We can see she's in confidence, also. I think that she's very calm on the court, very quiet. You know, she invests a lot in her game. So very, very good player.

Q. Is it okay just to ask how you sort of see obviously her next match against Serena, both pretty powerful games?
JUSTINE HENIN: No, I have no idea about what's gonna happen now.

Q. You just came off the court. It's very hard to switch your perspective, but many of us won't see you for a while. What are your thoughts? What are your anticipations about Wimbledon? What did you think about it in the many months when you were gone? Is that your prime goal now, to win that title?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I mean, I don't want to predict anything. It's a difficult moment right now. The only thing I can say is that I'm gonna take a day or two days off and then start to work to get ready for Wimbledon and for the rest of the season, and just to work, you know, on my game and just to get better.
So in terms of what I'm gonna play before Wimbledon, I still have no idea about my plan. We gonna discuss a lot about that with my coach in the next two days. Yeah, I mean, like I said, I want to go as far as possible over there. But in 2010, it's probably a bit too early to say, Well, it's gonna be my goal to win it.
There are so many things I have to work on, and we'll see what's gonna happen.

Q. But in your game, have you been working on strokes and technique in anticipation of grass play?
JUSTINE HENIN: No, I just work on myself to improve. That's it.

Q. You say it's a transition year, but when you came here, did you see yourself as a real possible champion this year in Roland Garros?
JUSTINE HENIN: No, I didn't feel it this way. I mean, all the expectations are coming from the outside, you know. Everyone wants to see me as the level that I was and to compete really, but the confidence I got, you know, in 2007, it took many years to be at that level in terms of, I mean, mental and confidence.
No, I was really here to play match after match, and that's what I did. I keep some positive things from this tournament, but I didn't consider myself as the favorite. If I could win one more match or two more matches you can start dreaming, but that is not the case anymore.

Q. Do you still get an idea of how far you are from the others Justine that quit tennis? If you would play against that player right now, what would be the score, do you think?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, it's very tough question. I don't want to compare I mean, these two careers, because it's so different. I need some time now really to I mean, like I said, the player I was at that time, it took me so many years to be at that level, you know.
And to come back physically and mentally and emotionally, you know, we can talk about nerves and having the nerves at the right moment when you have to be strong. But you don't used anymore to be in this kind of situation, so you have to start again. That takes some time, so it's very hard to compare.
What's from the past is from the past. I have to move forward now.

Q. Having said that, it's been quite difficult and a transitional year. Does that make you think it's even more remarkable what Kim managed to achieve so soon after her comeback?
JUSTINE HENIN: Yeah, I mean, it was great what she did at the US Open, and I admired that a lot because I know how hard it is. I wasn't that far in Australia, but after that you have to confirm. We could see it wasn't that easy for the players, you know, that came back. After a few tournaments we can see ups and downs, and that's pretty normal, actually.

Q. I was wondering when you started practicing again? And also, you were just talking about nerves. Was that the issue on the first point of the last game when you had an open court and the short backhand?
JUSTINE HENIN: Yeah, probably. But, you know, it's I mean, of course. Generally I haven't been in the position in the second and in the third to really put my game and, you know, being aggressive. She was in control of the rallies, and she was hurting me a lot with her forehand and her serve.
But I think it's a bit more mental than talking about tennis, so that point is one point in the match that probably, yeah, tell us that I mean, the story of the match.
When I'm gonna start practicing again? Was that the question?

Q. When did you start for your comeback?
JUSTINE HENIN: When did I start? In August last year.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. If we compare with the Stuttgart final, what did Samantha do better today to be able to defeat you?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I think she was very consistent. She was very consistent. There's nothing to say about that. She just grabbed the opportunity. She took control over the rallies in the second and third sets. She really hurt me.
I was not in one of my best days, obviously. It's difficult to come to grips with that, but maybe it's showing me a few things. That's what I think is positive. I know now the road still ahead of me.
Today I was against an opponent who was stronger, more consistent, stronger when she needed to be stronger in the important times of the match. I did not start off too badly. I was doing what I was supposed to do.
But then afterwards, there was always aggressiveness missing. It means that I still have to work a lot, quite simply.

Q. When exactly did you feel that things were changing in your game?
JUSTINE HENIN: Very early in the second set. She was leading 3 0. My nerves were simply not strong enough today. I felt very nervous, very upset, which is normally not the way I am.
You know, the last few days have not been easy either, and playing all those matches back to back was not easy. This teaches me a lesson. I lost a lot of energy at the beginning of the tournament, and maybe today I was feeling some nervous fatigue. Maybe that nervous fatigue prevented me from seeing things in a calmer way.
But, yes, I felt right from the beginning of the second set that the match was turning.

Q. And the ball into the net, is that the turning point?
JUSTINE HENIN: She was serving at 5 4, but, you know, you don't win or lose a match in one point. I think she deserved to win, full stop.
That point did not make the difference. I could have been more conquering much earlier in the match. It was too late by now to overturn the situation, so I would not say that that was the key to the match.
She quite simply was better than me.

Q. What are the feelings today for you? Frustration? Disappointment?
JUSTINE HENIN: It's not an easy time for me. It's always difficult to lose, especially in a place as much as I love Roland Garros, without having been able to show your best tennis.
But that's part of my life. I mean, I'm a high level athlete. I've never had to manage difficult moments like this in my first career. I have to come to grips with it. I have to work on it.
But I'm prepared to do it. This will be my objective for the near future. I will consider this as a challenge. I'm going to work a lot. As I said, I will leave here with some very positive lessons. It shows me that the road is still long. If I succeed to do it, then it will be useful for the future.

Q. Maybe a high level tennis is one thing, but managing defeat would be more useful for you. I mean, you don't really learn to manage defeat, but you were talking about being nervous. Is this more difficult to manage?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, yes, this is not the right time to talk about tennis. It's all about learning to go for it at the right time, do what is necessary to win, and maybe this is what is lacking right now for me.
It will take time. I'm quite aware of it, but I'm not going to give up. That, I can promise.

Q. Two finals, Brisbane and the Australian Open, so you're at the top level immediately. But maybe wasn't that a bit negative for today's result?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, yes, I'm back at top level, but I was missing something. Maybe I could have pulled it through there. But on the other hand, when you come back, you're euphoric; the other players are surprised.
So it all adds up. You can come back at the top level, and yet experience some very difficult times. I think we should not overreact now. I should simply set my ambitions where they're supposed to be, knowing my current capacities and knowing that it takes time to come back to your full self.

Q. What can we hope for in Wimbledon? How do you analyze your situation vis a vis this tournament right now?
JUSTINE HENIN: Well, I just walked off the court. It's not easy to provide such an answer. I will try to have fun in Wimbledon. In the meantime, I'm going to work, do my best, and then I'm simply going to try and seize the moment and we'll see what happens.

Q. The match against Sharapova, did that take a lot of emotion, energy away from you emotionally? And when you come back to competition, isn't the most difficult aspect that you have to play matches back to back?
JUSTINE HENIN: Absolutely. Maybe a day off would have been welcome, considering the emotions I've been through in the last few days. But there's nothing for it.
Yesterday's tension was just receding when I had to increase my attention again to face today's match. So that was not easy to manage, and probably did not manage it correctly. It shows that I still have to work on it.
Yes, playing matches back to back is difficult when you've not done this for some time.

Q. It's like a small sparkle today that was missing?
JUSTINE HENIN: Yes.

Q. Two years off the courts. Everybody talks about the mental capacity, but is it possible to come back to the same physical fitness, physical condition that you had before you stopped playing?
JUSTINE HENIN: Yes, yes. I think that is not the issue. Of course. It means a lot of work and things I still have to work on, but I do not believe that the issue is my fitness.
It has more to do with challenging difficult times and considering this as a challenge. But I have to invest on this work. I have to be consistent, rigorous, and it cannot be done overnight.
I've already changed a lot in several aspects, but I have to continue working. But no, my physical condition is not the issue. I'm not worried about that.

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #133 on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:04 AM »
I think Justine is going to work hard to do some routine for Wimbledon.  If I were Justine; winning Wimbledon; she should try to win the U.S. Open and the year end tournament and then retire if she has won Wimbledon.  It just not go to keep going when you have made your goal!  Most players say to long and loose a lot of their status - rank before they realize that they are has beens.  It always much better to retire at the top like Justine has done in the first retirement.  She should retire after accomplishing her goal of winning Wimbledon.

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #134 on: June 01, 2010, 06:47:34 AM »
I think Justine is going to work hard to do some routine for Wimbledon.  If I were Justine; winning Wimbledon; she should try to win the U.S. Open and the year end tournament and then retire if she has won Wimbledon.  It just not go to keep going when you have made your goal!  Most players say to long and loose a lot of their status - rank before they realize that they are has beens.  It always much better to retire at the top like Justine has done in the first retirement.  She should retire after accomplishing her goal of winning Wimbledon.
If I'm reading this right, you mean if she wins Wimby this year, she should finish the year out & then retire (having accomplished her goal of winning Wimby).  If not, she should continue until she does win Wimby or until it's deemed impossible for her.

I saw the interview re: her seeing Fed win the FO and Justine not being able to sleep that night because she knew she wanted to comeback and try for Wimby.  I guess I don't really understand what motivates these people to retire and try a comeback based on certain criteria.  The reasoning escapes me.  But then again, I don't know any of the pros personally at this time. ;-()
CONK da ball!!!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2010, 08:02:28 AM »

I have to agree with you HarryWild. Even i'm of the opinion that players should have a goal, set it, accomplish it and finish it. Right now motivation is very important for a player not named Federer. What keeps him going is something amazing because I'll be interested in seeing what the great man has yet to offer to the sport. As far as the other players go, like my girl, I'd like her to win wimbledon and finish with it. She'll have nothing more to prove at the end of it all. She'd have won all the tournaments and she'd know she is not going to hunt down Serena's slam count because she doesn't hanker after numbers at all. She just wants to show that she can play on all surfaces.

I liked it in a way when she retired when she was number one. I knew she had enough of it. She had a fantastic career best year in 07 and there was no motivation for her to show once again that she was the best around on clay in 08 and therefore retired. I respected her decision for that. I knew she had accomplished whatever she wanted. She is human after all and knew that her name will have an astrix if she doesn't win the wimbledon. She had perhaps given up on winning it but on seeing Fed do it after years of trying, she thought she could give it a shot while she is still young.

I was very surprised to see her coming back, considering how stubborn she is (I've followed her more closely than most for several years so I know) but again, I was happy as a fan that I could see her on court again. This for sure is still a transitional year, wherein any result is good enough. Two finals, one which includes a slam, a WTA title already that's good. But the thing at the back of her mind is still that elusive title. Once she wins it, I doubt whether she'll have the motivation to go on again. This might also relieve her off her pressure and she may play more freely in other tournaments but she has to win it first and she knows it. She'll try this year to win it. If she doesn't, she knows that this is not her best tennis and therefore has not won it. But if she doesn't win it next year as well, she'll be devastated. I hate to see that happen and that's why I want her to win it this year.  ://

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2010, 04:54:13 AM »
If I'm reading this right, you mean if she wins Wimby this year, she should finish the year out & then retire (having accomplished her goal of winning Wimby).  If not, she should continue until she does win Wimby or until it's deemed impossible for her.

I saw the interview re: her seeing Fed win the FO and Justine not being able to sleep that night because she knew she wanted to comeback and try for Wimby.  I guess I don't really understand what motivates these people to retire and try a comeback based on certain criteria.  The reasoning escapes me.  But then again, I don't know any of the pros personally at this time. ;-()

I think it has something to do with being the best and her legacy!  Plus, I think that she had nothing else to do at the time that was better then going back and playing tennis.  Justine retired 18 months - 2 years ago; because she was burnt out!  All she knew was tennis!  I guess she missed the tour since that is what she has done pretty much all her life!

Offline falcon

• Tennis God
  • cooooooooooooooool
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2010, 12:13:57 AM »
Justine Henin's coach, Carlos Rodriguez, is playing down Henin's chances at Wimbledon this year.

"Justine is not a candidate for victory at Wimbledon," he told Belgian newspaper La Derniere Heure. "She has a chance, but there are girls who have more claim to the title than her. I'd like to wrong, but she needs more time.

"After [she reached] those two finals in Australia, everyone saw her as the queen again, but I knew it would be more complicated. In Australia, she arrived fresh, without pressure and could count on the element of surprise. Today, that's not the case.

"The main objective is to finish the season without injuries, because there's a physical and mental fatigue that sets in."

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »

"LONDON, June 23 (Reuters) - Belgium’s Justine Henin took a hesitant step towards a first Wimbledon title when she came through her second-round contest 6-3 7-5 against Germany’s Kristina Barrois on Wednesday.

Henin, twice a losing finalist at the All England Club, looked sharper than in her first-round match and used her pace and groundstroke power to muscle her way to the opening set in 33 minutes against the world number 73.

But the former world number one stuttered when letting a 5-2 lead slip in the second before breaking the German’s serve once again to lead 6-5 and then holding to love when a Barrois forehand looped over the baseline after an hour and 22 minutes.

She will play the Russian 12th seed Nadia Petrova for a place in the fourth round."

Tough match ahead!  Henin is motivated and should come out ahead!

Offline HarryWild

• Tennis God
« Reply #139 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

Justine, seeded 17th, defeated No. 12 Nadia Petrova 6-1, 6-4.

Next up for Justine is a push over opponent - by the name of Kim Clijsters!

"Clijsters and Henin will play each other for the 25th time, but the first time in a Grand Slam since 2006. Their rivalry stands at 12-12 and has become friendlier over the years.

“It’s obviously not the same as in the beginning,” Clijsters said. “We’ve definitely grown up. We’ve had great times together playing Fed Cup and just messaging each other on phones, teasing each other, fun, you know, relax. I think that’s how I would have liked it to have always been.”

Both Belgians have mounted career comebacks from retirement. Clijsters last played at Wimbledon in 2006, Henin in 2007. Henin has seven Grand Slam titles and Clijsters two, but neither has won the Wimbledon crown.

Clijsters won their last previous meetings this year in Brisbane and Key Biscayne.
"