Author Topic: Brrrrrr!!  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Brrrrrr!!
« on: December 24, 2004, 12:59:00 AM »
We had a crap load of rain freeze last night.  Reportedly 200,000 people left without electricity from trees falling on power lines.  We had no power for 16 hours.  It just now kicked back on and I hope it is for good.  It is friggin cold in my den while I am typing this.  Our house was down to 50 degrees downstairs and much worse upstairs.  We got a kerosene heater and it is better, we were all sleeping on the living room floor downstairs tonight.  

This keyboard feels like a block of friggin ice, but it feels good to be able to use it again!
Good Luck on the Court!!!
Scott Baker
http://www.tennis4you.com

Offline philip

• Tennis Enthusiast
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 02:12:37 AM »
How come it was colder downstairs? I always thought upstaitrs was the warmest!   :;:-|

Offline Arcforce

• Tennis God
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 02:35:25 AM »
Yeah, me too Phil. That's how it is around my house...we use a kerosene heater downstiars yearround becuz it stays cold down there. our upstairs lingers around 80 degrees right now.. ;-()  hope ya get ur heat back y0.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 07:33:11 AM »
It was back when I typed the message and it appears to have stayed on.  In the summer the upsatirs of our house is warmer, but in the summer the downstairs is warmer, go figure...
Scott Baker

Offline DirtyKash

• Tennis God
  • Child labor laws are ruining this country.
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 07:44:12 AM »
Local forecast

Today: A mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. Colder. High 8F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight: Mainly cloudy. Cold. Low 1F. Winds light and variable.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 08:24:37 AM »
I am definetly read for summer again.

My Grandparents (and parents and sister) do not have power.  My Grandparents had a personal line break from the house to the pole so they will be one of the last people on the list to get fixed.  They fix the big problems first then the personal people...  My parents said it could be as late as Tuesday or Wed for my Grandparents.  It is currently 40 something in their house.

The Kerosene heater we were borrowing from someone is obviously no longer needed, I am goign to try to run that over to my Grandparents of the people we borrowed it from do not care.  My poor Grandparents are going to have a cooooold Christmas.  They do not want to be a burden on anyone so they will not leave, I wish they would come over here.
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 09:12:10 AM »

Has anybody ever tried to play tennis outdoors in the snow?  To me it seems you would need to shovel the courts free of snow first.  ALso you would have to hope there are not patches of ice stuck to the courts.   Also it seems to me no major tennis tournaments would be affected by snow because you would never schedule outdoor tournaments at a time of year when snow would be possible.  When a country hosts a Davis or Fed Cup match if they wanted it outdoors they would play it in the southern part of the country for those in the northern hemisphere.  There are parts of the US that can host outdoor tournaments even in the winter.   In some countries that would not be possible such as Norway and Canada.  Most if not all the countries in the southern hemishpere could have tournaments in July outdoors of they held in in the northern parts of their countries.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 09:19:08 AM »
Gary,

Back in High school I got someone a tennis racquet for Christmas and we went out on Christmas day.  There was some ice on the court, so it was like playing on wet grass or something.  The ball would basically skid super low when it hit the ground.

When I started coaching the high school team this year the first 2 days of practice it was warm enough to get out to hit, but we had snow flakes starting to fall.  But nothing accumulated on the courts and the students said they wanted to keep hitting...  I was hitting too, it did not bother me, kinda funny though.
Scott Baker

Offline gary2414

• Tennis Pro
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 12:38:09 PM »
Now has anybody tried to play tennis outdoors in freezing rain?  If you did the courts would feel slick as an ick skating rink.  the balls might get heavy as ice accumulated.

Offline Tennis4you

• Administrator
  • Tennis God
    • Tennis4you
Brrrrrr!!
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 01:24:45 PM »
That would be plain nasty...  And probably not wise.  :)
Scott Baker