Author Topic: How do you cap?  (Read 612 times)

Offline Barreto101

• Tennis Pro
How do you cap?
« on: January 19, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »
I was just wondering how do you actually cap match's?  It's probably a really dumb question, but I've wanted to know for quite some time.  Is there some program to do this.  Could someone please help me out with this one?  Thanks in advance.

Offline MsTree

• Tennis God
Re: How do you cap?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:16:37 PM »
It depends where you get your source material from.

For me, I record from the satellite decoder onto a DVD HD then encode the dvd on my laptop (I use DVDfab) then upload as a torrent or split into chunks (usually sets) for upload. It's more complicated for me, as I have one DVD HD with a huge HD but broken dvd writer, so I record a whole days play and then edit the matches I want (and edit out the ads) onto another DVD HD (with a smaller HD but working DVD writer). It works for me but is time consuming! I will investigate more technologically advanced and quicker ways eventually :)

Offline Barreto101

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
It depends where you get your source material from.

For me, I record from the satellite decoder onto a DVD HD then encode the dvd on my laptop (I use DVDfab) then upload as a torrent or split into chunks (usually sets) for upload. It's more complicated for me, as I have one DVD HD with a huge HD but broken dvd writer, so I record a whole days play and then edit the matches I want (and edit out the ads) onto another DVD HD (with a smaller HD but working DVD writer). It works for me but is time consuming! I will investigate more technologically advanced and quicker ways eventually :)

Thank you, this was a lot of help for me.

Offline fgzhu88

• Tennis God
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:06:38 PM »
I think what most people do is use "cable cards" or "tv cards" to connect the cable box/tv to their computer and while it's playing live, the computer saves the original MPEGII transport stream (usually onto a portable hardrive because uncompressed video is huge).  Pretty time and energy consuming because you have to leave computer on the whole time.

I'm trying to figure out how to rip matches from my DVR's internal Harddrive.  It should be possible but probably hard to decrypt.  This would be the easiest method of capping from cable television if it were possible. 

For me personally, it's not worth it to cap matches, since we already have good US HDTV cappers for ESPN2 and tennis channel (rickatnight) and NBC/CBS (milan). 

Offline Barreto101

• Tennis Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
I see, thank you to fgzhu88.  Ya that's true we do have quite a few cappers from USA, but haven't seen a upload from milan in time, which is quite unfortunate.