Author Topic: Mertov's Tennis Desk  (Read 12192 times)

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
Re: Mertov's Tennis Desk
« Reply #160 on: December 10, 2014, 05:26:34 PM »
Thanks MT!

Like you, I also thought the French were favorites prior to the weekend. 
For how much interest the finals generated (this is the most I have seen since late 90s), I thought the matches were a bit of a letdown.  Not one match was closely contested.  But like you said, the atmosphere made up for it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:28:34 PM by Mertov »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2014, 04:59:22 AM »
Though the quality of play may not have been exceptional and I not a Fed fan, there were plenty of other tennis 'stories & characters' that made it interesting to me.  After all, these are people, and how they choose to deal with the challenges thrust upon them is as equally appealing to me as there tennis.

Thanks for reporting Mertov.
Enjoy the holiday season. :)
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »
Holiday Reading!  :book:

Mertov has just put up an intriguing post about Tennis Parenting.
http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/

It is obviously of great interest to Australians  :hammer: but maybe this has to wait for the follow-up article.  :)

It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about inherited talent. One can quickly name several cases where the talent has clearly been passed down from parent to kids. In addition to overall athletic ability, I expect that some of this is in eye-racquet-ball coordination. All of us know that some people just have this more than others.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 10:14:33 PM by euroka1 »

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
Euroka thanks for the comments :)

You and I may be the only ones into the Australian Open :) but I posted a close look at the men's draw yesterday (before first round matches) for anyone interested:
http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2015/01/18/australia-open-2015-logical-mens-quarterfinals-can-they-materialize/

Best!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2015, 04:30:52 AM »
Good stuff again Mertov.
I like your insights on the players outside the top 20.

'Gasquet none!' :( Sad, but I have to agree.
'Gulbis = loose cannon'  :(  Got up on the wrong side of the bed for the 1st round of a major.

I'm pulling for Raonic, Jersey, Dimitrov, and Kyrgios seeing as Tsonga elected to play exhibition tennis at the end of last year instead of taking time to treat his injury. :head-bash:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #165 on: January 20, 2015, 01:15:51 PM »
The guys you mentioned all have a chance to do well here Mt!  Raonic and Dimitrov especially (not so much Jersey).

Kokkinakis has a tough match today against Groth, whom I like a lot.  But the winner of those two are in a good part of the draw in my opinion and the winner could make noise at this tournament.  Now if Kokkinakis wins again in 5 sets, I am not sure how much gas he will have left in the tank though.  Groth would have a better shot to advance if you are a fan of Australian players.  I am not sure who could possibly stop the big three from reaching the semis again though.  Wawrinka will have a tougher time getting there.  I would love to see Nishikori vs. him in the quarters.

Addition: Kyrgios vs. Karlovic is as close to tank shooting bombs as it gets..  Kyrgios must win in 3 or 4 to do well in the later rounds.. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:21:13 PM by Mertov »

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »
The guys you mentioned all have a chance to do well here Mt!  Raonic and Dimitrov especially (not so much Jersey). :(Agreed.

Kokkinakis has a tough match today against Groth, whom I like a lot.  But the winner of those two are in a good part of the draw in my opinion and the winner could make noise at this tournament.  Now if Kokkinakis wins again in 5 sets, I am not sure how much gas he will have left in the tank though.  Groth would have a better shot to advance if you are a fan of Australian players.  I am not sure who could possibly stop the big three from reaching the semis again though.  Wawrinka will have a tougher time getting there.  I would love to see Nishikori vs. him in the quarters.I don't much care for Kei's style of play, but his movement is just plain sick and his tenacity is incredible.  That would make for a fun match.

Addition: Kyrgios vs. Karlovic is as close to tank shooting bombs as it gets..  Kyrgios must win in 3 or 4 to do well in the later rounds..   Nominated for T4U Phrase of The Year! :rofl_2:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2015, 05:54:17 AM »
I was sorry to miss the "tank serving bombs" earlier. I hope I can catch it on replay. Meanwhile, ESPN is full of Nadal in his long suffering mode and that no longer appeals much.  JMac is droning on there too which doesn't help  :hell-no: .

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2015, 06:16:09 AM »
I was sorry to miss the "tank serving bombs" earlier. I hope I can catch it on replay. Meanwhile, ESPN is full of Nadal in his long suffering mode and that no longer appeals much.  JMac is droning on there too which doesn't help  :hell-no: .
Ayuh.
And Nadal continue to stall while Smyczek is serving. :mad1:
CONK da ball!!!

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
My take on Tomic vs. Berdych and Kyrgios vs. Seppi matches:

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2015/01/25/lessons-from-the-tomic-vs-berdych-and-kyrgios-vs-seppi-matches/

Set the tone early, or else...

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »
Hi Mert,
That's a great description of what I saw in the Kyrgios match. But I clearly missed quite a bit by not hearing because of having the TV in silent mode!  I did not see the Tomic match and it's great to have your report. He has been rather negative, probably justifiably so, in the Australian papers today. Do you think he needs a new coach?

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2015, 02:10:58 AM »
Hi Euroka,

As strange as this may sound, this was the best body language I have seen out of Tomic.  I have seen him literally tank away matches and walk to shake the opponent's hand when he was in serving motion. 
To answer your question, yes, a guy like that needs a coach, who can make him "feel" the guilt if he does not make full use of his talent.

I went ahead and posted the latest on MT-Desk on today's two great women's matches.  It's about an overlooked shot in tennis, that came back to bite Victoria Azarenka and Garbine Muguruza in their matches.  It's a tactical analysis piece, with clips of the points in question:

http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/2015/01/26/high-volleys-on-floaters-a-lost-art-ask-azarenka-and-muguruza/

Enjoy!

Offline monstertruck

• Tennis God
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2015, 05:09:38 AM »
Excellent observations Mertov.
Perhaps this is just the direct result of unfamiliarity in the forecourt (or transition game) that plagues many of today's baseline bashers.
CONK da ball!!!

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:52 PM »
Hi Mert,

Thanks as always.

You've done this before, I think, but, with the new crowd of retired pros moving into the coaching slots, I wonder if you might like to review the subject again. It strikes me that the recent appointments have been rather successful at improving their charges' games.  I used to think it was superficial and just window dressing but no longer take this point of view.

Offline Mertov

• Tennis Addict
« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2015, 01:37:44 AM »
Euroka,

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, they seem to have a bigger impact than everyone expected.  Federer and Djokovic were already great players so even if one tried to dismiss those cases, there is no way you could overlook others such as Nishikori, Wawrinka and Cilic.  Now let's see how similar ones pan out in the WTA (Navratilova-Radwanska, Davenport-Keys, etc). 

Offline euroka1

• Tennis God
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
Hi Mert:

Marsel Ilhan Makes History Again

That's a great posting at http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/

I had missed the matches to which you refer and now will surely be watching out for him in coming months.

Offline Swish

• Tennis God
  • How Many Times?
« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:12 AM »
Hi Mert:

Marsel Ilhan Makes History Again

That's a great posting at http://www.mertovstennisdesk.com/

I had missed the matches to which you refer and now will surely be watching out for him in coming months.

Good article, never heard of him like you say.